Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Nemo posted:

I'd put up with any amount of Jesse Thorn to get more of John Hodgman's patronizing conversations with insufferable hipsters.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'll keep listening, no matter how bad Thorne gets. It's just that he's a bit of an insufferable hipster himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
He's a really weird guy, but he also seems like a really good guy, and is occasionally really funny. He reminds me of the friend you like, but you're afraid to mix in with your other friends.

And I actually think he's really good in the sidekick role.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Nemo posted:

I'd put up with any amount of Jesse Thorn to get more of John Hodgman's patronizing conversations with insufferable hipsters.

If anyone wants to listen to a horrible hipster stereotype in the flesh just listen to The Cone-Tractual Dispute: http://www.maximumfun.org/judge-john-hodgman/judge-john-hodgman-ep-10-cone-tractual-dispute

The guy's just a horrible, sarcastic, unfunny rear end in a top hat.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

Vertigus posted:

If anyone wants to listen to a horrible hipster stereotype in the flesh just listen to The Cone-Tractual Dispute: http://www.maximumfun.org/judge-john-hodgman/judge-john-hodgman-ep-10-cone-tractual-dispute

The guy's just a horrible, sarcastic, unfunny rear end in a top hat.

Holy poo poo, I hated this guy in the episode, but now I hate him even more. 'Meta' looks adorable, though.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I loved when John Hodgman ordered him to "say one sincere thing," and he couldn't.

DepoProvera
May 3, 2011
It sickens me deeply, but the only sort of "celebrity" worship I have is for Seth and Johnathan. I'd probably hate the cunts in person but yes I am one of those creepy fans.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

gently caress! I just missed out on being a replacement podcast on Project Tippytoe. So bummed...

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

SpacePig posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'll keep listening, no matter how bad Thorne gets. It's just that he's a bit of an insufferable hipster himself.

God I sure do hate Jessie Thorn.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Thorn's not a hipster, just a white guy who likes hip-hop.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
What bothers me is his audio quality during Judge John Hodgman. It sounds like he's talking into Skype over a cell phone. You'd think he could afford to sound better, being that he runs MaxFun and everything.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ograbme posted:

Thorn's not a hipster, just a white guy who likes hip-hop.

And Cholo-Dads.

Who doesn't like Cholo-Dads?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

And Cholo-Dads.

Who doesn't like Cholo-Dads?

Also he introduced me to My Brother, My Brother and Me, which gives him a lifetime pass in my book. :colbert:

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Even though it's a public radio program, today's episode of Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! has a special topic everyone here should be familiar should be familiar with:

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=3&islist=true&id=35&d=06-18-2011

(Click the segment marked Bluff The Listener)

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Bro Dad posted:

Even though it's a public radio program, today's episode of Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! has a special topic everyone here should be familiar should be familiar with:

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=3&islist=true&id=35&d=06-18-2011

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but WWDTM has been doing this for years.

V e:whoops! V

bunky fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 19, 2011

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

bunky posted:

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but WWDTM has been doing this for years.

It's not the segment, its one of the topics brought up in it :ssh:

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010

Bro Dad posted:

Yeesh. How much longer is My Little Pony going to be a thing?

You can find WWDTM on iTunes, so it is a podcast, although it's not usually what you would call "comedy."

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Hey anyone have the link to that Best Show where they spend the last half or so just ripping on the Juggalo festival? I can't find it searching the itunes archives for 'juggalo' or anything.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

shotgunbadger posted:

Hey anyone have the link to that Best Show where they spend the last half or so just ripping on the Juggalo festival? I can't find it searching the itunes archives for 'juggalo' or anything.

It's on this page, the one dated July 21, 2009

http://wfmu.org/playlists/BS

edit: Juggalo hilarity starts around 1 hour 27 minutes in. Goddamn, listening to it again, I still loving lose it when they talk about the helicopter rides.

Binowru fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 19, 2011

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Binowru posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Binowru posted:

edit: Juggalo hilarity starts around 1 hour 27 minutes in. Goddamn, listening to it again, I still loving lose it when they talk about the helicopter rides.

Coupled with the Wurster call later on, its really one of the classic Best Shows. The following week where Wurster calls as a Newbrdige Juggalo and the terrifying creature he bred, the juggalape, is amazing.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Yannick_B posted:

Coupled with the Wurster call later on, its really one of the classic Best Shows. The following week where Wurster calls as a Newbrdige Juggalo and the terrifying creature he bred, the juggalape, is amazing.

I did not like Tom Scharpling for good long time, but I stayed with the show because I love the Wurster calls so loving much. Tom's really grown on me, though. I'm looking forward to that show he's doing with Paul F. Tompkins that will never see more than one season.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Binowru posted:

I am definitely a Best Show fan, but I don't really look forward to it the way I do CBB or Who Charted. However, I just laughed the hardest I ever have at a comedy podcast from this episode. Thanks for digging it up, Binowru.

Mollymauk
Apr 20, 2006
NNF live was great tonight, guests were Rachael Dratch and Kevin Meaney. Got to see everyone in person even Dan (who was selling shirts) and Hot Toddy.

The Banned
Jun 11, 2005
"My witness is the empty sky."

Binowru posted:

I almost cry every time I hear PFT's reaction to hearing Butterbean's name.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Binowru posted:

I'm listening to this now and holy poo poo that guy just before the Juggalo bit gives the worse uuurrggghhhh description of I'm hhhhhhhh Sorry I haven't a Clue you could make. A show about the English language indeed. Puns! They're called puns!

Penis envy
Jan 22, 2010

You can trust me, I'm a doctor.
If anyone got the best show dvd please post how great it is so I can satisfy my weird sadistic need to know I missed out.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Hey guys -- just switched out "How Did This Get Made?" for "We Hate Movies!" and suggest that you do the same. WHM seems to provide much better commentaries on the films, and a lot more jokes. I feel that too much of How Did This Get Made is based on their reactions to the lovely elements of movies, rather than actually riffing on the humorous elements. I highly recommend you find their two part analysis of Superman III and IV (Part one was supposed to cover both films, but they basically riffed on Superman III for the full hour).

Also, WHM seems to rely a less on guest stars carrying the weight of the humor, and MUCH less on crappy Facebook contributions.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

The Modern Leper posted:

Hey guys -- just switched out "How Did This Get Made?" for "We Hate Movies!" and suggest that you do the same. WHM seems to provide much better commentaries on the films, and a lot more jokes. I feel that too much of How Did This Get Made is based on their reactions to the lovely elements of movies, rather than actually riffing on the humorous elements. I highly recommend you find their two part analysis of Superman III and IV (Part one was supposed to cover both films, but they basically riffed on Superman III for the full hour).

Also, WHM seems to rely a less on guest stars carrying the weight of the humor, and MUCH less on crappy Facebook contributions.

Just listened to an episode of this, and I have to totally agree here. I try to defend HDTGM but...ugh it's wearing on me. This, however, is excellent.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I actually went and watched Old Dogs based on HDTGM's advice and was :stare: pretty much all the way through. Everything they said was spot on. I'll give this other one a try.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Throatwarbler posted:

I actually went and watched Old Dogs based on HDTGM's advice and was :stare: pretty much all the way through. Everything they said was spot on. I'll give this other one a try.

Really they only do Mac and Me and Old Dogs type total 'holy gently caress no seriously what am I seeing here' movies well. I wish they could do normal 'no this blows' movies but they seem to lean on their guest to be funny and June to make elaborate, drawn out, descriptions of her disgust, and Jason to just scream curses.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

The Modern Leper posted:

I'm all for this. My big problem with HDTGM is that half the movies they discuss are just 'mediocre' and not really 'bad'. As a result, the discussion tends to be full of unwarranted hyperbole. The best example of this was The Tourist - I personally thought the movie was just kind of boring and dumb, but not necessarily terrible. When they DO get a genuinely lovely movie, though, it is pretty good.

The write-ins are just horrible, though. You can tell Paul is just going through the motions at that part.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Mogambo posted:

I'm all for this. My big problem with HDTGM is that half the movies they discuss are just 'mediocre' and not really 'bad'. As a result, the discussion tends to be full of unwarranted hyperbole. The best example of this was The Tourist - I personally thought the movie was just kind of boring and dumb, but not necessarily terrible. When they DO get a genuinely lovely movie, though, it is pretty good.

The write-ins are just horrible, though. You can tell Paul is just going through the motions at that part.

I once drunkenly sent in a write-in for them early on, and was legitimately shocked and disgusted that it 'made the cut' by any barometer.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

shotgunbadger posted:

I once drunkenly sent in a write-in for them early on, and was legitimately shocked and disgusted that it 'made the cut' by any barometer.

Well come on, now you gotta tell us. Which one was it?

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

shotgunbadger posted:

Awesome, thanks!

HELICOPTER RIDES!!!

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010

Mogambo posted:

Yeah, the thing with HDTGM is that they're always so confused and angry at what they've watched for the podcast, which sometimes makes sense but really doesn't work when they've just watched something mediocre (Tourist, Fast Five) or that they actually kind of enjoyed (Drive Angry). But at the same time they have this weird thing about not wanting to be "haters", which kind of went out the window at the Battlefield Earth review, but always just kind of felt weird.

We Hate Movies is pretty good (the Superman reviews are great, and The Hand and Evilspeak are also interesting), and I'd say The Flop House is another good "bad movie" podcast (look at their episode on Old Dogs to see how they differ from HDTGM.)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Throatwarbler posted:

As a Vermont native, my favorite scene in Old Dogs is the ending, which is set in the Burlington, VT zoo's outdoor palm-tree-filled ape enclosure :psyduck:

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Binowru posted:

Well come on, now you gotta tell us. Which one was it?

I think it was for Burlesque, 'backhanded complements', I said 'well at least it's not a snuff film' which, by the way, is in no way a 'backhanded complement'. I think they seriously just read literally anything that gets sent in.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Why even bother with bad movie podcasts when The Flop House exists.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I really love Never Not Funny but hot drat is that theme song awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

shotgunbadger posted:

Just listened to an episode of this, and I have to totally agree here. I try to defend HDTGM but...ugh it's wearing on me. This, however, is excellent.

I had to give up on How Did This Get Made due to their abuse of the word "literally." Why do they keep using that word? It does not mean what they think it means.

• Locked thread