Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sporadic posted:

Oh poo poo, Amazon pricematched Target.

$14.99 for the Back To The Future Trilogy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00198X0UO

Seriously, $15 for 3 really good movies in HD?

I'm guessing there's a good chance that anyone who orders this is going to get the new redesigned case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
gently caress yes! Thanks for posting that Sporadic, I just placed an order for it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
They WOULD lower the price when I buy it for $25. gently caress.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Anyone know where in the UK I can get the LOTR extended Blu ray with the Ring? I want one!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

Guess I basically paid $10 for that DeLorean Hot Wheels :doh:.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

obi_ant posted:

Is there any reason in particular why they're doing that? It seems really annoying to have to swap out a disc mid way through the movie.

We went over this a while ago; the consensus is that even though they could most likely squeeze the extended Return of the King onto one blu-ray, it might kind of be pushing it, in terms of trying to keep the video and audio as uncompressed as possible. (Remember, that one is over 4 hours, and if they split that one they might as well split the others for consistency's sake.) I personally thought it would be feasible to just use a multi-layered disc to get around that, but I guess the tech isn't widely adopted enough yet, or something like that.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Ineffiable posted:

Seriously, $15 for 3 really good movies in HD?
It's like they're paying me to upgrade my first release, incorrectly framed DVDs.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

GonSmithe posted:

Somebody in Coupons said that they will give you a $10 credit if you call (I imagine on the non-car edition)

You may want to give it a try.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sporadic posted:

Somebody in Coupons said that they will give you a $10 credit if you call (I imagine on the non-car edition)

You may want to give it a try.

You might as well buy it for $15 and just return the car edition.

Unless you really wanted the car.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

The price is back up, looks like. Oh well.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hitze posted:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58223
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58250
Two more comparisons.

R.I.P original LOTR Blu-rays.

Man I'm glad I pre-ordered this set and didn't buy the first dip.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

http://twitter.com/#!/headgeek666/status/80149503134547968

quote:

Ok folks, Peter Jackson is contacting Andrew Lesnie re: the Green tint issues allegedly with the FOTR:EE Blu... Hopefully this is fixed.
So...there might? be a reissue of fellowship EE

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This was about the Apocalypse Now 3-disc edition lightning deal but that is over and gone.

--------

Requiem For A Dream dropped down to $5.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00284BNKC

I have $20 in Amazon giftcards from Swagbucks so this is a no brainer for me. Love this movie so much and the Blu-Ray is good.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 16, 2011

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
gently caress it, why not.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Apocalypse Now is back to $34 again.

Also:

O Brother, Where Art Thou? - Sept. 13.

Someone in the forums noted Roger Deakins recently supervised the remaster, so it should look fantastic.

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.

Egbert Souse posted:

Apocalypse Now is back to $34 again.

Also:

O Brother, Where Art Thou? - Sept. 13.

Someone in the forums noted Roger Deakins recently supervised the remaster, so it should look fantastic.

This is one of my Top 3 movies of all time and I've been waiting for any glimmer of hope of it coming out, this is awesome! The cinematography and post are just top notch and seeing how it looks in HD was the reason I decided to get a blu-ray player in the first place. I hope they are able to scrape together some Special Features, the DVD was pretty scant if I recall correctly. I've never pre-ordered a movie before, c'mon Amazon just put it up and throw fist-fulls of money at you.

Amazon Pre-Order is Up Currently at $23.99.

Although they haven't released many details, this news tidbit says it will at least contain the DVD special features; though that isn't saying much. "1080p transfer in its 2.39:1 original aspect ratio".

Multiplesarcasm fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 18, 2011

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Any rumours of Disney releasing The Rocketeer on Blu anytime soon? Perhaps to coincide with the release of Captain America...?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino's next Buster Keaton release is a double feature of Battling Butler and Go West for Sept. 27.

http://www.classicflix.com/kino-battling-butler-west-ultimate-september-a-992.html?osCsid=80548262fe864f0195267344a44ba697

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Hatter106 posted:

Any rumours of Disney releasing The Rocketeer on Blu anytime soon? Perhaps to coincide with the release of Captain America...?

Well there's apparently a new remastered print of The Rocketeer showing in CA on Tuesday. Check this out! So my hopes are a bit higher that we'll be seeing a Blu Ray sooner than later.

Edit: Just watched the video and they specifically mention a special announcement. Hopes Rising.

Delzuma fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 19, 2011

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
According to listings on Wal-Mart's website, a wave of exclusive Miramax titles will be hitting Wal-Mart stores in a couple months. The list, via blu-ray.com:

9/13
Trainspotting

9/20
Scary Movie 2
Scary Movie 3
The Others

9/27
The Crow
Mimic

10/4
Jackie Brown

Along with Jackie Brown, apparently Pulp Fiction will finally make it's debut on the same day, though it's not listed as an exclusive title.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I never thought Jackie Brown would end up as a Walmart exclusive. Ridiculous.

Both Image and Milestone will put out Blu editions of the silent Phantom of the Opera soon. Specs on the Image edition per David Shepard (Blackhawk Films):

- 1.20:1 Aspect Ratio (surviving 35mm materials are cropped)
- 1929 version in 24fps and 20fps
- 24fps version with scores by Alloy Orchestra and Gaylord Carter (organ)
- 20fps version with orchestral score by Gabriel Thibadeau
- Both include Technicolor and hand-stenciled color inserts
- Original 1925 cut remastered in SD (only exists in 16mm) with new score
- Extras include stills and art gallery and the script.

Due for an October release date.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Space_Butler posted:

10/4
Jackie Brown

Along with Jackie Brown, apparently Pulp Fiction will finally make it's debut on the same day, though it's not listed as an exclusive title.

It's about goddamn time. I'm on the fence about Jackie Brown, but Pulp Fiction is a definite buy.

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

Put in my pre-order for LOTR Extended. Getting excited now! When I'm going to find time to marathon them though :S

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I am really looking forward to the LOTR set, but I made the error of checking out the thread on blu ray forums, and everyone is losing their mind over the green tint that the movies are said to have. I am going to hold off a week or so and see what people think when it is actually.

Here is a comparison. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwcm-73kZE8&feature=player_embedded .

henpod fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 19, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Blu-ray.com on Kiss Me Deadly, which is so crisp you can count the film grain. This actually puts other Criterions to shame.

The blue-green sky at :40 seems pretty damning but it'll probably be both impossible to notice when actually watching the disc and remember that the people on bluray forums have a hobby of making mountains out of molehills.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
blu-ray.com has their reviews up for Lord of the Rings, and he goes into a lot of detail about the picture quality.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Motion-Picture-Trilogy-Blu-ray/12237/#Review

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

The extended dvds have red push.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

hitze posted:

I like the added clarity of the EE Blu-ray, but I really don't like the added green tint. It reminds me of how they re-tinted the original Matrix green to match the sequels.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

hitze posted:

I called it kinda! Where's my nerd medal? :colbert:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Who are worse, audio purists or video purists?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

Audio nerds by far.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Hahaha, not even a contest. Audio nerds are terrible and half the time it's some pseudo crap they're talking about. At least with videos, we can stand around and compare stuff, point to stuff rather than say, "Did you hear the difference? I did!"

But about the EE, I like the way Fellowship looks now. Flesh tones look more natural or less pale and nature shots are deeper in colour. Some greens are a bit strong though.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
New version looks fantastic to me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can my sagging shelves take another LOTR EE? That is the question.

\/\/\/
Very tempted to just wait for the inevitable "just the films" editions. Already got the bonus DVDs anyway. Or wait another...5 years?...for some sort of EE of the Hobbit Parts 1 and 2 and the LOTR in some horrifically large box set.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 20, 2011

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
If Frodo can bear the ring all that distance, your shelves can hold it!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

henpod posted:

If Frodo can bear the ring all that distance, your shelves can hold it!

His shelves may not be able to hold it, but at least he can carry his shelves!

Wait, I don't think that works right.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
High-Def Digest posted their review of the upcoming Louie: Season 1 release and revealed which two episodes don't have commentary.

#10 Dentist/Tarese
#12 Gym

hitze
Aug 28, 2007

Extended editions dropped down to $65 on amazon.ca http://ca.blu-deals.com/product/B004HEWNBO/the-lord-of-the-rings-the-motion-picture-trilogy-limited-extended-edition-blu-ray/

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
Will Amazon US price match that? I assume not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

I was waiting but I might bite now, free shipping too for me. I assume the packaging is the same for the EEs. I don't really like the forced-on French stuff :spergin:

• Locked thread