Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I only posted that because you brought it up, and it's helpful to know the difference. Calling a KLR with 17"s and a Husky 450 SMRR both 'supermotos' is sort of like calling a jeep liberty and an ariel atom both cars. Well... sure, but it doesn't really do you any good to get an idea for the differences.

If you really want to control the tone of this thread, just say something like 'A DRZ is just as fast as a 690'. I don't even respond to those posts anymore, my eyes glaze backwards, start glowing orange, and the text just flows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I really think I wouldn't mind trading my Ninja for a KLR with 17s. Handles well enough for daily riding, more comfortable and good for those "urban wheelies", no? Plus no sportbike image = not having every retard in an Acura sedan or Dodge Ram trying to race me. I'm really starting to get tired of that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gnaghi posted:

Plus no sportbike image = not having every retard in an Acura sedan or Dodge Ram trying to race me. I'm really starting to get tired of that.

I don't mind people trying to race me at the lights.

Just rev the bike a bit to egg them on and when they take off like madmen I just set off a second or two later, nice and slow. I'll catch up to them at the next light anyway.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

KozmoNaut posted:

I'll catch up to them at the next light anyway.

Ninja 250?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Yeah I guess I'm doing it wrong, I simply flip them off.

"Boardwalk's that way Situation."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

orthod0ks posted:

Ninja 250?

Bandit 600.

I don't ride like a dong when there's traffic.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't mind people trying to race me at the lights.

Just rev the bike a bit to egg them on and when they take off like madmen I just set off a second or two later, nice and slow. I'll catch up to them at the next light anyway.

I wheelie past them and then get pulled over by the cop that I didn't notice while I was staring them down!

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

KozmoNaut posted:

Bandit 600.

I don't ride like a dong when there's traffic.

I can say that I do like to play stoplight GP even in traffic, but I/m definitely safe about it. I thought everyone on bikes did this.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Spiffness posted:

I only posted that because you brought it up, and it's helpful to know the difference.

Yeah I know, I even said it helped. I meant it too. I just got a chuckle out of the timing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

If you really want to control the tone of this thread, just say something like 'A DRZ is just as fast as a 690'. I don't even respond to those posts anymore, my eyes glaze backwards, start glowing orange, and the text just flows.

Ha, who would claim that? A 625, you could make the case for, but not a 690.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

I wheelie past them and then get pulled over by the cop that I didn't notice while I was staring them down!

There are a bunch of police in SF that ride DRZ400Ss. This made a lot more sense when coming back at 2am I saw a cop on one hop a curb and ride through UN plaza popping a wheelie half way across. The SM "run-from-the-cops-by-riding-through–empty-lots-and-parks" plan seemed a lot less foolproof after that.

Also, I'm 95% sure you have to have a mustache in order to be motorcycle police in CA. Its gotta be on the books somewhere.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Would you want to work the beat without one?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dualsports in general make a lot of sense for police work. They're narrow, they have suspension that can soak up curbs and steps, and they are quick enough to outrun most any car, especially if its not on pavement.

Being a DS cop would be awesome now that I think about it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pr0zac posted:

There are a bunch of police in SF that ride DRZ400Ss. This made a lot more sense when coming back at 2am I saw a cop on one hop a curb and ride through UN plaza popping a wheelie half way across. The SM "run-from-the-cops-by-riding-through–empty-lots-and-parks" plan seemed a lot less foolproof after that.

Also, I'm 95% sure you have to have a mustache in order to be motorcycle police in CA. Its gotta be on the books somewhere.

Want to hang out with that cop.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there sites I should be checking for deals on a drz other than craigslist? I've contacted just about everyone in a 500 mile radius going out as far as Arizona... Nobody seems willing to negotiate much at all yet. I don't care though, I'll wait.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Brakes have been a bit squealish recently so I pulled them to check the pad wear. Was surprised to find one of the pads worn completely through and the other almost gone. Is it normal for pads to only last ~6k? The front drags but I didn't think it was serious. The rotor has some small grooves worn in it but there isn't a noticeable step between the outer part and the spokes. I'm thinking I can just sand the grooves out on the surface plate at work. Are rotor buttons reusable? I've got a set of EBC sintered pads on the way as replacements.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

henne posted:

Brakes have been a bit squealish recently so I pulled them to check the pad wear. Was surprised to find one of the pads worn completely through and the other almost gone. Is it normal for pads to only last ~6k? The front drags but I didn't think it was serious. The rotor has some small grooves worn in it but there isn't a noticeable step between the outer part and the spokes. I'm thinking I can just sand the grooves out on the surface plate at work. Are rotor buttons reusable? I've got a set of EBC sintered pads on the way as replacements.

6K miles for pads is not unusual.

How deep are the grooves? If you can barely feel them, don't worry about it, otherwise get a machine shop to turn them back to perfectly flat. You can do it yourself, but I'm pretty sure the rotor buttons are a sort of rivet and cannot be reused.

Good choice on the EBC sintered pads, I've been very happy with mine. Don't forget to change your brake fluid!

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I can feel the grooves with my finger nail but just barely. Break fluid is still nice and clear so I'm going to leave it for now.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/2448760031.html

going to look at this baby early tomorrow morning, with cash in hand, hopefully I can haggle it a little.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Looks like a nice clean bike, good luck talking him down a bit.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I thought the general rule of thumb with DRZ-SM's was that you don't buy one that hasn't been down atleast 3... maybe 8 times?

Good bike otherwise :cheers:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

I thought the general rule of thumb with DRZ-SM's was that you don't buy one that hasn't been down atleast 3... maybe 8 times?

Good bike otherwise :cheers:

dude said he semi dropped it in a parking lot whilst parking, thats good enough for me.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

soy posted:

dude said he semi dropped it in a parking lot whilst parking, thats good enough for me.

read: tossed it off a cliff on mulholland

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

It's easy to lie about DRZ crashes. Mine cartwheeled down an eighty foot high rocky embankment with only minor plastic scuffage and misaligned mirrors to show for it. It's also been stuffed into the dirt at low to moderate speed > 100 times, and the drat thing looks nearly showroom clean when I polish it up. I could easily post a CL add saying "minor scuffs from when the PO dropped it in his driveway" and no one would question it.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I have a yellow DRZ. Should I two-tone the wheels black and yellow? If so, normal yellow or this? Should I do it not yellow?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the bike turned out to be super clean, and I was able to haggle him down to the price I wanted. loving awesome bike! I rode like 50~ miles home on the freeway and it was not bad at all..

As if to make the day complete though, the universe decided to humble my rear end pretty solidly.

Shortly after getting off the 5 fwy I had kinda got in formation with some guy riding a really sweet looking white Ducati sport bike, coming around a pretty sharp corner that immediately goes downhill the guy went into a low side crash about 2 car lengths ahead of me.

Thankfully I wasn't riding like a dong at that moment and was able to come to a full stop safely on a steep decline, the rear wheel started going sideways a bit due to the abrupt stop but it was easily manageable due to the geometry of the bike.

Made a traffic break for the guy and helped him get his ride off the road. Guy was pretty scuffed up but he had semi decent gear so he fared alright.

Heres to safer times ahead. Driving in LA is a loving nightmare but I feel pretty confident that the bike will do fine as long as I take it easy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

henne posted:

I have a yellow DRZ. Should I two-tone the wheels black and yellow? If so, normal yellow or this? Should I do it not yellow?

I liked blue on my Yellow DRZ, but yellow would probably be more visible and look better at speed, the blue didn't really show up.

Soy, nicely handled.

supermoto superiority

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

soy posted:

Thankfully I wasn't riding like a dong at that moment and was able to come to a full stop safely on a steep decline, the rear wheel started going sideways a bit due to the abrupt stop but it was easily manageable due to the geometry of the bike.

drat, first day on the sumo and you're already backing it in

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I posted this in the buying a bike thread with regards to a 250 but no one seemed to care so I'll put it here too, since someone was nice enough to offer me a trade of an '05 DRZ SM for one of the bikes below. Maybe someone will help me with a 2nd opinion?

nsaP posted:

Right, so if you made it thru all of that, here's specs on the bikes from my CL posting and some shots:
Short story from above is we have 2 FZ6s, it's too big a bike for my sister so I want to trade one for a two fiddy.

Stock FZ6/ Silver http://imgur.com/a/XtcL2#TXHja
8400 miles

Modded FZ6/ Blue http://imgur.com/a/7BpsK#izqq9
10600 miles
Scorpion pipes, Power commander
Lots of "looks mods" done by the previous owner, windshield, frame sliders, black plastic parts painted to match the blue, fender eliminator kit (cheap and held together with epoxy putty, planning on fixing this soon if I keep it), headlight mod

Both bikes need a rear tire soon, both have been involved in "parking lot drops" (first bikes) and have some scratches to show for it. The rear brake lever on the silver one is bent but fine, other bent levers have been replaced.

What's the CA thoughts?

So far the only info from the guy with the DRZ is this:

quote:

It is an 05 drz400sm. It's got about 12k miles. Speedo cable is bad so it reads 8700 miles. It has new continental tires with under a couple hundred miles on them. Bike is all stock other than a few cosmetic upgrades. Has aftermarket signals and taillight, axle sliders and I chopped the stock front fender looks good. I also have a red acerbis fender as well. Bike is black.

The speedo cable being bad is a bit of a worry cause I have to trust his milage on it but ultimately I'll just have to size him and the bike up. I've been dying to join the sumo crowd, my FZ6 is boring for 95% of my riding and it rarely gets rung out. When I look up values though, I feel like his is worth a bit more than mine, so that worries me as well, given that he was potentially willing to throw in a 250 dirt bike in the deal. That makes me think it might be in bad condition, but I guess I'll find out when I go see it.

What kind of work is it to fix that if I get it. What do you think about this swap? And what should I look out for when I look at it/ what will it need?

nsaP fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 20, 2011

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

nsaP posted:

The speedo cable being bad is a bit of a worry cause I have to trust his milage on it but ultimately I'll just have to size him and the bike up. I've been dying to join the sumo crowd, my FZ6 is boring for 95% of my riding and it rarely gets rung out. When I look up values though, I feel like his is worth a bit more than mine, so that worries me as well, given that he was potentially willing to throw in a 250 dirt bike in the deal. That makes me think it might be in bad condition, but I guess I'll find out when I go see it.

What kind of work is it to fix that if I get it. What do you think about this swap? And what should I look out for when I look at it/ what will it need?

I'm assuming you're in Indiana because I was looking at this same bike on CL. There have been a couple of good DRZs popping up in the Indy area lately - Fortville and Avon.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just one slight porblem with the new DRZ. It's missing the wheel lock key (it's seperate from the ignition key).

How or who can I go to in order to have a new key made. What can I expect to pay?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

soy posted:

Just one slight porblem with the new DRZ. It's missing the wheel lock key (it's seperate from the ignition key).

How or who can I go to in order to have a new key made. What can I expect to pay?

In my year and a half of DRZ ownership I never used it once. Don't worry about it.
It's not going to save your bike if someone wants to steal it.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiffness posted:

In my year and a half of DRZ ownership I never used it once. Don't worry about it.
It's not going to save your bike if someone wants to steal it.

I park downtown LA, I'd prefer to have it. I want to do as much as possible to discourage theft. At least this way they can't just roll it outta the parking garage.

For now I'm just gonna throw my small bicycle u-lock on a wheel or something. Might as well make them at least bring an angle grinder to get my poo poo.

I do have comprehensive insurance though worst case.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm assuming you're in Indiana because I was looking at this same bike on CL. There have been a couple of good DRZs popping up in the Indy area lately - Fortville and Avon.

He contacted me actually, I'm in NKY. Are we going to have fisticuffs over this? lol. I did a search for some recently but didn't see any ads. Care to post the link, I'm having trouble finding it.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 20, 2011

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

soy posted:

I park downtown LA, I'd prefer to have it. I want to do as much as possible to discourage theft. At least this way they can't just roll it outta the parking garage.

In addition to it being downright a pain in the rear end to use, nothing is stopping a grown human from grabbing the forks and simply busting the steering lock right off.

You are way better off carrying a small lock & cable with you, do that.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

nsaP posted:

He contacted me actually, I'm in NKY. Are we going to have fisticuffs over this? lol. I did a search for some recently but didn't see any ads. Care to post the link, I'm having trouble finding it.

No unfortunately. I've been looking for a Sumo for a few weeks now, but I don't have the facilities (pickup/trailer/hovercraft) to get one home. I'm in Northern Indiana, so that bike is about a 3hr drive.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's been my experience so far as well. Any that are close are all fairly new and out of my range, and all the 05/06s are a long way away.

Could you post the link to his ad that you saw tho? Just wondering if there is anything else there.

I typed the guy's name into facebook from our emails, his profile pic is wheelieing the DRZ down the road. Any other bike, it would be and instant end.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When you see the PO of a sumo wheelieing it in a picture, that just means they cared about it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

I posted this in the buying a bike thread with regards to a 250 but no one seemed to care so I'll put it here too, since someone was nice enough to offer me a trade of an '05 DRZ SM for one of the bikes below. Maybe someone will help me with a 2nd opinion?

So far the only info from the guy with the DRZ is this:

Either the 250 or the DRZ would be a good choice. I think you just have to judge based off of relative condition. DRZs are a funny market because while we're all supermoto crazy here, most of the general market doesn't know, care, or want one. Some places have a crazy market for the DRZs but most places there's very little overall interest, which is why the value is lower. I'd say that your bike is worth a bit more than his just in terms of raw saleability. The DRZ is tall but light, so it might be worth picking up lowering links or something unless your sister is tall. The 250 will be the better starter bike, the DRZ will be more fun and more accesable to you and your pops. I'd go with the DRZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

Either the 250 or the DRZ would be a good choice. I think you just have to judge based off of relative condition. DRZs are a funny market because while we're all supermoto crazy here, most of the general market doesn't know, care, or want one. Some places have a crazy market for the DRZs but most places there's very little overall interest, which is why the value is lower. I'd say that your bike is worth a bit more than his just in terms of raw saleability. The DRZ is tall but light, so it might be worth picking up lowering links or something unless your sister is tall. The 250 will be the better starter bike, the DRZ will be more fun and more accesable to you and your pops. I'd go with the DRZ.

Thanks for the advice, I'd been waiting on a z3n post :).

I might not have been clear between the copy/pastes between the two threads. Originally I was looking for a 250 for my sister, and I'm still doing that. I had planned to trade one FZ6 and keep the other one. I just happened to have this guy offer me a DRZ, so it looks like I might trade the 2nd fz6 for that.

What should I look out for in terms of looking at the bike? Is there a guide earlier in the thread or just drz specific things to look out for? Valve checks and such?

• Locked thread