Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Cemetry Gator posted:

I hate to break it to you: go to your local high school, and ask the highschoolers if they know who any Smashing Pumpkins songs.

I manage in retail, and I remember somehow the conversation came up to music videos, and I said "You know, we just need more acts who were like the Smashing Pumpkins, who made videos that were worth watching." And this girl, who was 17 at the time, said "Who?"

I discovered that she never even heard of the Smashing Pumpkins. That the words "despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage" were nothing to her. That "Today" was just another day and not the happiest song about not committing suicide. And that "Tonight, Tonight" wasn't the best video ever. She literally had nothing to do with this band.

I told her I would fire her if she didn't go on youtube and watch their videos within a week.

We had to let her go, but for a completely different reason... but I told my boss that it was the right thing to do since she's never even heard of the Smashing Pumpkins.

My boss said "What's that? One of those rap groups? Bah, you kids know nothing about good music. You should have been around for the Electric Prunes."

I don't know if the age difference matters, but most ~20-year old people I've met are pretty familiar with 90s bands. A lot of them started off the same way you or I did- listening to contemporary (2000s) music as a teenager, and then going backward and listening to those bands' influences from the 90s, and so on. I've run into people who learned about the Smashing Pumpkins from listening to the Silversun Pickups, for instance.

Of course there are going to be people with their heads completely up their asses, especially people who aren't really music lovers, but by and large I haven't run into too many situations in which I've been speaking in Greek about 90s music.

an oddly awful oud fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I think if anything kids nowadays(ugh feels really depressing to say that) are more knowledgeable about music from past decades because of, I hate to say it, Rock Band/Guitar Hero. Kids in the 90s seemed more concerned about just the 90s.

Pizza Club
Aug 28, 2006

President Jerk
I like Owata. The keyboards are kind of weird though.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
http://img.laweekly.com/player/?i=6286550
should be a direct link to Owata (what is this track called?!)

LtTennisBall fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 3, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

LtTennisBall posted:

http://img.laweekly.com/player/?i=6286550
should be a direct link to Otawa/Owata (what is this track called?!)

Oh, I get it.

Owata. As in 'Owata beautiful night'. I'm not minding this at all. Doesn't sound like the Pumpkins, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Ok that makes sense. The link that the SP Facebook page gave named the song "Otawa" and I got really confused.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Owata. As in 'Owata beautiful night'. I'm not minding this at all. Doesn't sound like the Pumpkins, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

It's a pretty good song. I have to say that they've always been eclectic, and that's part of what set them apart in the grunge era. Take "Tonight, Tonight," it's orchestral. It's not orchestral in the sense of "Here's a rock song with a string section providing accents," no, it's orchestral in the grand pop sense. Then "1979" was a straight pop song. And they could still rock hard.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I think it definitely has a Smashing Pumpkins sound to it. I'm liking it a lot.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Cemetry Gator posted:

I hate to break it to you: go to your local high school, and ask the highschoolers if they know who any Smashing Pumpkins songs.

I manage in retail, and I remember somehow the conversation came up to music videos, and I said "You know, we just need more acts who were like the Smashing Pumpkins, who made videos that were worth watching." And this girl, who was 17 at the time, said "Who?"

I discovered that she never even heard of the Smashing Pumpkins. That the words "despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage" were nothing to her. That "Today" was just another day and not the happiest song about not committing suicide. And that "Tonight, Tonight" wasn't the best video ever. She literally had nothing to do with this band.

I told her I would fire her if she didn't go on youtube and watch their videos within a week.

We had to let her go, but for a completely different reason... but I told my boss that it was the right thing to do since she's never even heard of the Smashing Pumpkins.

My boss said "What's that? One of those rap groups? Bah, you kids know nothing about good music. You should have been around for the Electric Prunes."

Well, if it's any consolation, I graduated high school in 07 and the Pumpkins were my favorite band for most of my time there.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Am I really the only one that thinks Cemetry Gator sounds like an rear end in a top hat?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Bubble-T posted:

Am I really the only one that thinks Cemetry Gator sounds like an rear end in a top hat?

To be brutally honest, I'm probably coming off as a massive dick. And that's not my intention. I was just trying to relay a story about one of those harsh realities of life - the things that were massive when you were younger just aren't that big or important to a lot of people. I don't doubt that there are still a lot of 13-year-olds who listen to the Smashing Pumpkins, but I also realize that the stuff that was the center of my coming of age means nothing to a lot of people. Trust me, I can tell the tale with a variety of bands and songs, including "You Get What You Give" by the New Radicals, "Breakfast at Tiffanys" by Deep Blue Something, and Lit's LP, "A Place in the Sun." The Smashing Pumpkins are a band where a lot of younger people I know who don't listen to rock music are aware of. And by younger, I mean like 16 and 17 (I work retail, so I deal with a few of them).

But it comes from a genuine love for the band. To me, they feel like the last real rock stars. They feel like the last band that really had the full visual package, a unique and vary sound, and great songs to back it up.

(PS - I embellished the story a little bit. I didn't actually tell her I'd fire her if she didn't listen to the band, and she later left of her own volition, I was just trying to make an Office reference. But the comment about the Electric Prunes really did happen.)

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Huh, haven't payed attention to this project since Widow Wake My Mind, but quite a lot of these songs are pretty good. It all sounds a lot like Pisces Iscariot and MACHINA I.

Also, Zwan re-release? gently caress yeah, Jesus, I/Mary Star of the Sea is the best drat song to jam on

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Hour posted:

Jesus, I/Mary Star of the Sea is the best drat song to jam on

Now listen to The Width of a Circle by David Bowie

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Also, Zwan re-release? gently caress yeah, Jesus, I/Mary Star of the Sea is the best drat song to jam on

I'm glad Billy isn't letting anything out to dry. I mean, even at his worst, he had such an ear for melody and songwriting that there were always a few diamonds in the rough. Honestly, once I got over the idea of the "new" Smashing Pumpkins, Zeitgeist doesn't seem so bad. Sure, the mixing is still terrible, but there are a few good songs. I wonder if a few years down the road will help Zwan out, and help people see it in a different light.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I was just trying to make an Office reference.

Oh right.. I didn't get that at all.

Use Less
Jun 14, 2007
Non-Consumerist
Like the new song, but drat, what's up with the candy-coated synths all over everything?

The middle 8 sounds the best because those keyboards are gone. It just makes everything sound like: "Hey! We want to break into the J-Rock demographic!"

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm glad Billy isn't letting anything out to dry. I mean, even at his worst, he had such an ear for melody and songwriting that there were always a few diamonds in the rough. Honestly, once I got over the idea of the "new" Smashing Pumpkins, Zeitgeist doesn't seem so bad. Sure, the mixing is still terrible, but there are a few good songs. I wonder if a few years down the road will help Zwan out, and help people see it in a different light.

I thought it was good. Like, really good. :confused: I still do, actually!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I loved Zwan. Jesus, I / Mary Star of the Sea is one of my favorite Corgan pieces, period.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Rolling Stone Interview: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/billy-corgan-talks-smashing-pumpkins-reissues-20110505

quote:

What kind of bonus material will be on the upcoming reissues?
EMI would like a bonus disc of material. I think what it's going to have to be is a balance between some of the better B-sides that somebody who bought Gish back in the day wouldn’t be familiar with. I want it to be a document about the materials that surrounded the records, so if you're a fan of that record, you kind of get more of that record. But I want to be really selective and not just put out anything. I want it to be almost like a nice mix tape – if you're a fan of Gish, then the Gish bonus disc would have some really cool stuff to listen to that's in that period.

Do any periods have more unreleased material to choose from than others?
For the first album, there are something like 30 demos from even before the album was made. So a lot of that stuff needs to be remixed, and there's a lot of good versions of things and unheard stuff. The second album, not as much, so I'm probably going to have to dig more in my home demos.

Will there be previously unheard songs?
I've gone on some message boards to see what fans are saying, and they think they've heard everything and they haven't. There's a lot of stuff we have that no one's ever heard.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Also from the interview, and I'm paraphrasing, "Holy gently caress, I'm never working with James or D'Arcy ever again. Ever. Again.'

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The new song is pretty great. I really like where this project is going. I just wish they would release stuff more frequently.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also from the interview, and I'm paraphrasing, "Holy gently caress, I'm never working with James or D'Arcy ever again. Ever. Again.'

We've known that for a long time now already. He's repeated it ever since he put the Smashing Pumpkins back together.

At least it seems like he Jimmy are still on good terms at least.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Actually he had said that he'd invited James to join the band but he'd declined. At least James seems to be a fixture in APC now, so he's actually doing something with himself. D'Arcy is just getting arrested.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I hope that Oceania comes out like Foo Fighter's 'Wasting Light'. I know Billy's very much 'always moving forward' and I really respect that, but look what the FF did with their new stuff? gently caress, for me, this is right up there with the first two albums.

I want the groovy pumpkins back. Not necessarily loud and screamy (though that too, at least in parts). But you know how you can just groove to their old stuff?

I want some more of that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

As far as remastering goes, MCIS could possibly benefit - some of the songs are a little too muddy for my liking, like some of the awesome drumming on Jellybelly is kinda pushed to the back and indistinct. Some VERY careful tweaking could really make things shine without changing the actual sound and feel of the songs.

Unless of course Billy's planning on trying to be Mastering Engineer himself, in which case :v: :v: :v:

Use Less
Jun 14, 2007
Non-Consumerist
^ Indeed ^

I was listening to stuff from my collection the other day and a song from Mellon Collie came on. I was surprised by how low in volume and muddy it sounded.

But I wonder how they're going to handle that. Songs like "XYU" and "Tales of a Scorched Earth" would sound awesome remastered. Not sure about stuff like "We only come out at night" - that Auto-Harp is really loud in the mix, and the vocals are too.

I'm definitely excited for these remasters, actually!

And maybe when the Gish bonus disc comes out, we'll finally hear the studio version of "Jesus Loves his Babies". That's a rad song, and supposedly nobody's ever heard the studio version.

Edit: Never mind. Just found it on YouTube...

Use Less fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 26, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgVGUXXVnag

I remember catching this on YTV of all places (Canadian kids channel) some Saturday afternoon, they were broadcasting the whole concert.

This and Porcelina were amazing to see. Would have loved to have been there, live.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Use Less posted:

Songs like "XYU" and "Tales of a Scorched Earth" would sound awesome remastered. Not sure about stuff like "We only come out at night" - that Auto-Harp is really loud in the mix, and the vocals are too.

I'm definitely excited for these remasters, actually!

Mellon Collie was the first CD I ever bought and I gave it hundreds of listens as a teen and back then it sounded fine to my young ears, but man a lot of that album, ToaSE in particular, is hard to tolerate now.

Then again, a lot of his new stuff is being cluttered with unnecessary synth stuff so I'm leery of a remastering working out well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

As an audio engineer/sound designer, I actually have no problem with ToaSE/XYU. It's like the distortion on 'Love'; that's what they're going for, and I doubt they'd let that slip past them unless it was meant to. They definitely sound all messed up, but I like it.

That being said, I still would love a remaster of Machina II. Some of those songs are ROUGH, and I know that had it seen a full, commercial release, we would've gotten nice sounding tracks. Hard to imagine if Real Love would've been fixed, because I'm so used to its messy sound.

EDIT: That reminds me of when my best friend and I got MCIS on cassette one year for Christmas (we bought it for each other, kind of silly). I was listening to it (and having my mind absolutely loving blown away) and got to 'Love', and was wondering why it sounded like poo poo. Took out the tape, looked at it to make sure there were no creases or anything. I was young, and didn't realize that messed up tape would cause warping and skipping before fuzz. Anyway, I'm kind of worried because, hey, my gift might be ruined.

I went over to his place a little while later, and before I get to mention it, he says he's got to ask me something. He puts on 'Love' and says 'Should I bring this tape back to the store, or do you think I should just keep it?'

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 19, 2011

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZemTcTyJKs&feature=player_embedded

Billy shows off his pedal collection

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Is it wrong that I stopped the video twice to put those settings on my Big Muff and Electric Mistress for dicking around with during practice later?

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
I did that with my Big Muff when Billy posted the settings on Kerry's blog forever ago. Speaking of the Electric Mistress, is it nice? I was thinking about getting one.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It's tricky. I'm not a very good guitarist, so there's probably way more performance that can be wrung out of it than I can on my lonesome---the settings mentioned in that video end up with a very tight pulsar effect, something akin to a Leslie on Fast, which doesn't help me much, since I play rhythm---I usually use the Mistress as something more akin to a slow phaser/chorus.

(Edit: That is, if I got the knobs in the right places---technically, I have an Electric Mistress Deluxe, which has the same body as the Clone Theory shown earlier in the video, so I don't know if I translated where the zero points are on the knobs of the standard Mistress in the video to where they are on my EMD.)

hexwren fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 20, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

It's tricky. I'm not a very good guitarist, so there's probably way more performance that can be wrung out of it than I can on my lonesome---the settings mentioned in that video end up with a very tight pulsar effect, something akin to a Leslie on Fast, which doesn't help me much, since I play rhythm---I usually use the Mistress as something more akin to a slow phaser/chorus.

(Edit: That is, if I got the knobs in the right places---technically, I have an Electric Mistress Deluxe, which has the same body as the Clone Theory shown earlier in the video, so I don't know if I translated where the zero points are on the knobs of the standard Mistress in the video to where they are on my EMD.)

Anyone using Logic Pro 9 Amp Designer/Pedalboard and/or Amplitube 3 that can advise me on what knock-off pedals in those programs would best match these? I know the Big Pig (or something, not at my music computer right now) in A3 is the knock-off of the Big Muff... but I'm not sure about the rest. I'd love to mimic their sound through those.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TOASE sounds loving awesome. They had to leave the room during the recording of the solo and that's exactly how it sounds on the CD. If it sounds bad you're not listening to it loud enough!

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
TOASE is a stain on Mellon Collie, and one of the worst Pumpkins songs in general. I like heavy Pumpkins but that poo poo does not cut it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

SORRY CAN'T HEAR YOU GRANDAD

I don't know why they didn't play it live, this guy makes it look easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxckD75sV2M

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I like Tales of a Scorched Earth. But then, I love Mellon Collie to a ridiculous degree. I listened to it seemingly daily in junior year of high school.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the Bunt posted:

TOASE is a stain on Mellon Collie, and one of the worst Pumpkins songs in general. I like heavy Pumpkins but that poo poo does not cut it.

Could be worse. Could be the remix of Heavy Metal Machine off of Machina 2. That poo poo makes me want to die, and M2 is one of my favorite Pumpkins albums.

(...mostly on the strength of the poppier efforts like Go, Speed Kills and Home, but still. There's worse heavy stuff than Tales.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Machina II is easily one of the best Pumpkins albums. It's a shame not many have heard it. Hopefully the rerelease in a couple years changes that.

• Locked thread