Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
A pretty big Hollywood production's coming to my area this summer (World War Z, Glasgow)

On the negligible chance that they'd need another extra/coffee guy, is there any way to go about contacting the production team to ask? I had a look for contact details but couldn't turn anything up.

I know this is naive but where's the harm in being the millionth random to try. Looks kind of like imdb might be the only option?

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

A pretty big Hollywood production's coming to my area this summer (World War Z, Glasgow)

On the negligible chance that they'd need another extra/coffee guy, is there any way to go about contacting the production team to ask? I had a look for contact details but couldn't turn anything up.

I know this is naive but where's the harm in being the millionth random to try. Looks kind of like imdb might be the only option?

Ask echoplex in CineD. He's a movie setbuilder in the UK and has his ear to the ground.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is Highway to Hell supposed to be a reference to Stairway to Heaven? I feel really dumb I just made that connection at all, even if it wasn't intended that way.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
No connection at all.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010
Two music related questions.

In The Infanta by The Decemberists, what's the sound in the beginning, is it someone just whistling?

And in 15 Step by Radiohead, what is Phil Selway playing, is it just a shaker?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Boneitis posted:

In The Infanta by The Decemberists, what's the sound in the beginning, is it someone just whistling?

Sounds like an elk bugle to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s78s-FCSUXs

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Is there a height from where if you fall into a sufficiently large body of water, you'll die no matter how much of a textbook dive you do?

How does falling into water work? Do you break bones at a certain height? Is there a range where performing a dive will save you from injury?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Every now and then I'm reminded of a thread that I'm pretty sure happened here, but I don't remember when (before my reg date probably.) I'd like to locate that thread again, if it's in the goldmine somewhere. The thread was a deconstruction of how ridiculous and awful the old spiderman cartoon was, with examples of the horrid background art and how none of it made sense. I'm reminded of it every time I see that 60s spiderman meme. Anyone have any idea where the thread is, if it's still accessible?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Dudebro posted:

Is there a height from where if you fall into a sufficiently large body of water, you'll die no matter how much of a textbook dive you do?

How does falling into water work? Do you break bones at a certain height? Is there a range where performing a dive will save you from injury?

I don't have answers, but it turns out this is a much asked question (the consensus answer seems to be "it depends"). Some relevant links:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/20/the_odd_body_cliff_diving/

Physics nerds take a shot at the answer:
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=119781
and
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=53810

and of course this gassed thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3278403

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Sometimes - I like to get together with friends and ask random questions and hypothetical situations to get a good conversation to a nice cup of tea.

There are books and cards I can buy but the problem is that the questions get old after asking them again and again. Does anyone know of a website that provides a lot of unique, fun, and interesting questions or hypothetical situations? I would prefer a lot of crazy and weird hypothetical situations.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
Is there a cultural reason as to why Americans talk so loving loud?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

PlasticPaddy posted:

So they can be heard over all the other Americans talking so loving loud.

I think commercials have influenced our speech patterns indelibly - they're so loud compared to regular shows that we talk loud just to be heard over the commercials, and that just carries on after the commercials are over.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

PlasticPaddy posted:

Big country, great distances.

I've wondered about that myself, though. Always assumed that due to their the-child-is-king policy of education, some people may be given an inflated sense of self-importance, which in later life manifests itself by overly assertive and determined/dominating behaviour. Those who don't really feel like that have to adapt or nobody will notice them.

And it's happening in Europe now too. Not gonna name countries, don't wanna tread on people's toes, but there are a few shining examples in the NW of the EU.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

PlasticPaddy posted:

From my perspective, as an American, Australians and Irish and Scottish talk loud too. Maybe there's a connection.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
My car needs new tires. I knew they weren't great when I bought the thing used two years ago, but I figured that they weren't in any danger of, like, exploding or anything. Living in Seattle, it is hilly and rainy all the time, and, quite frankly, my tires are bald enough to be a danger to myself and others at this point.

How do I go about buying new tires? Can I just walk into pretty much any tire store, tell them that I need "tires good for the rain, but not super-expensive", and I'll get pretty much the same product/price anywhere? I looked around AI, but couldn't find an appropriate looking thread.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gravity Pike posted:

How do I go about buying new tires? Can I just walk into pretty much any tire store, tell them that I need "tires good for the rain, but not super-expensive", and I'll get pretty much the same product/price anywhere? I looked around AI, but couldn't find an appropriate looking thread.

No kidding, go to Walmart. Cheapest tires anywhere, and unless you're offroading or getting too fast and too furious you absolutely don't need anything more expensive.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Gravity Pike posted:

Depending on the shop, you're looking at maybe ~$30 difference per tire and one or two notches of quality, so if you're looking to save, you will have to call around and do some research.

If you need to make just one trip, I recommend you go figure out what size your tires are so that you can check that the shop has that size on hand so you don't have to wait around at the shop too long for them to get tires from a warehouse.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Underflow posted:

Ask echoplex in CineD. He's a movie setbuilder in the UK and has his ear to the ground.

Thanks. I don't suppose anybody with PMs could call him to this thread? :shobon: I'm not sure how else to find him.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

WillieWestwood posted:

So they can be heard over all the other Americans talking so loving loud.

I think commercials have influenced our speech patterns indelibly - they're so loud compared to regular shows that we talk loud just to be heard over the commercials, and that just carries on after the commercials are over.

That's ridiculous.

madprocess posted:

From my perspective, as an American, Australians and Irish and Scottish talk loud too. Maybe there's a connection.

It could have to do with this:
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/peo_ave_siz_of_hou-people-average-size-of-households

The more kids in the family, the louder you have to talk to be heard.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Thanks. I don't suppose anybody with PMs could call him to this thread? :shobon: I'm not sure how else to find him.

Just ask in the general chat thread,
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3388873

There are a number of regulars who are in the business and could probably answer your question.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Schweinhund posted:

The more kids in the family, the louder you have to talk to be heard.

I have a friend who comes from a big family (2 sisters and 3 brothers), and they talk LOUD. Being in a small room with them is aggravating because even if it's completely silent, they act like they have to talk over someone else and use their outside voice.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
I'm looking to remember the name of a painter.

Things I know.

-May be French
-Black and white pictures
-His paintings are stories which contain 5 slides.
-Some of his topics are about the rise and fall of prostitutes and one was about the marriage of a poor and rich family.
-Absolutely FILLED with small details. You could watch one of his paintings for hours and find new stuff.

MrDutch
Jul 9, 2008

Yes they are shoes made of wood. Nothing weird about it, please stop taking my picture. I am NOT a tourist attraction!
In the last few days in a thread somewhere on the forums they were talking about screen dimming software.

It worked by turning down the brightness, or it changed the colors to a more orange tint or something. Anyway whats the software called, i can't remember in what thread i read it.

Thanks in advance.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
f.lux - http://stereopsis.com/flux/

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

DELETED posted:

I have a friend who comes from a big family (2 sisters and 3 brothers), and they talk LOUD. Being in a small room with them is aggravating because even if it's completely silent, they act like they have to talk over someone else and use their outside voice.
I come from a bigger family (3 sisters, 5 other brothers) and none of us talk all that loud unless there's a good reason to.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Gravity Pike posted:

Go to Les Schwab, they do good work and are all over the place, unlike Walmart, where you'd have to drive out to Renton or Lynnwood for. Costco has tires though, I believe, and I would imagine the price is pretty good there.

Prof. Ann Mary Ann
Mar 13, 2008

♫  He’s a hypnotist,
   hypnotist of ladies  ♫
I've been looking for info about how well USAA Auto Circle compares to other car buying services, and I haven't found anything very helpful. The best so far was one article on a nytimes blog about CarWoo that simply mentioned USAA prices are better.

Tell me your experiences. If it matters, the car the man and I wish to purchase is a boring economy model.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

WillieWestwood posted:

I come from a bigger family (3 sisters, 5 other brothers) and none of us talk all that loud unless there's a good reason to.

My family operates on "the loudest one is the most right." I wish I was lying. Coincidentally, I'm pretty quiet when I talk. They think I'm a freak.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I didn't see a "help me identify this song" link in the OP. There's a very well known song that I simply cannot think of.

It's famous, at least in the US, and it's about a husband and a wife who each, unknowingly to the other, put an ad in the paper to have a secret rendezvous. They end up meeting at a restaurant, and are surprised to find one another.

I thought it was sung by Jimmy Buffett, but it isn't any of his songs that I know off the top of my head.

Help!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Any google map like websites that account for closed roads? This mostly has to do with the missouri flooding in the midwest.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

johnny sack posted:

I thought it was sung by Jimmy Buffett, but it isn't any of his songs that I know off the top of my head.

Help!

It's the Pina Colada song.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Eyeball posted:

More specifically, Escape by Rupert Holmes

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

^^ Thank you

Eyeball posted:

Yes!

Thanks.

laughterhouse five
Feb 17, 2011

by elpintogrande

johnny sack posted:

I didn't see a "help me identify this song" link in the OP. There's a very well known song that I simply cannot think of.

That thread is in No Music Discussion, for future reference.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Is there any way to get better at remembering names? I am embarrassingly (probably offensively) bad at remembering names, or even meeting some people. People will ask if I remember meeting them like three days earlier, and I just won't.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Focus on what makes them or that experience unique. Use their name several times while talking to them and remember them by that conversation -- "Scott, the Asian guy I talked to about computers" or something. We meet/see crowds every day, but remember the PEOPLE.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I am equally terrible with names. You can introduce yourself, and five minutes later, I'll have forgotten. I find that immediately addressing them by name an almost uncomfortable number of times is what helps me best. ("Hello, Jessica. It's very nice to meet you, Jessica. So, Jessica, what is it that you do?")

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Danger Mahoney posted:

No kidding, go to Walmart. Cheapest tires anywhere, and unless you're offroading or getting too fast and too furious you absolutely don't need anything more expensive.

I've gotten some pretty great, pretty cheap tires from the friendly neighborhood Hispanic Tire Shop but maybe this is just a California/Arizona/Texas phenom. They're used, but usually name brand tires for 15-30 bucks and seem to last roughly as long as when I used to buy tires new.

---

My question: I have a lot of leftover film that I really need to get developed, some of it probably like 10 years old. I don't remember what's on any of it and I'm sure 3/4 of it is ruined, but now I'm kind of curious as to what's on these things.

Is there a cheap option to get 6-10 rolls developed for under the 8 bucks a pop Walgreens charges?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd like to get some pictures off of an old, busted cameraphone from a few years back. The memory and all that should be fine on it, it just stopped accepting the charger and new batteries stopped working on it. Where can I go/send it to get the pictures off, or do I somehow need to find some hobbyist who guts old electronics to do it for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Rick posted:

My question: I have a lot of leftover film that I really need to get developed, some of it probably like 10 years old. I don't remember what's on any of it and I'm sure 3/4 of it is ruined, but now I'm kind of curious as to what's on these things.

Is there a cheap option to get 6-10 rolls developed for under the 8 bucks a pop Walgreens charges?

Honestly, exposed film that's been sitting anywhere but a freezer for ten years is going to be pretty much useless. You might get some interesting latent images, but I don't know if that's worth your money. Walgreens is pretty much the cheapest around, even the online sites charge $10/roll + shipping generally.