Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
You guys could always have the first Sunday of the month or whatever be the playday for a 40k escalation league that requires painted models, so people start small but can eventually build their lists up. Unless you were talking about Warmachine specifically. v:shobon:v

EDIT: Gonna second the Preferred Enemy: Unpainted rule. Would kinda screw over Orkz and Nids, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I picked up some Malifaux figs today and the cast was really poor quality, and very soft metal. Is this a common thing for them?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I'm looking for forward facing, open-palmed Space Marine hands like these:

The top one is from the GK Power Armour and Terminator boxes with a bit of green stuff, but what about the bottom one? Are there any other similar hands?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
The bottom one is the arm that holds the missile launcher steady in the Tac Marine box.

I used the same hand for this guy.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 19, 2011

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
It is! Thanks :)
Now I just need to actually get those bits.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

NecronSchmecron posted:

The bottom one is the arm that holds the missile launcher steady in the Tac Marine box.

I used the same hand for this guy.

Strong Revenge of the Sith vibe coming off this model.

Raunchy
Jan 22, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Well then Squats can be Ewoks :]

In other news I think I am getting the hang of highlighting with black :] Took me a few tries. I know everyone says to do a basic color scheme for my army, but I atleast want to make my first model good looking. How many shades of during a highlighting stage would I want to do ? (This is a blue highlight keep in mind).

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Real hurthling! posted:

"I feel like you're breaking my heart."

I get that a lot. It wasn't the original intention, but it's good for a larf so I go with it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Protip: Do not spill half a pot of Chaos Black on your carpet.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Protip: Do not spill half a pot of Chaos Black on your carpet.

keep spilling more until you have a chaos black carpet.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
My buddy and I have convinced our girlfriends to try painting models. He hates painting and just wants someone else to do it, I used it as an excuse to buy another army.

He's going to get a lot of models like this:

Thankfully, my girlfriend's color scheme seems a tad more subdued:

Should be fun, I'm glad they're both getting into it. I doubt they'd ever actually play, though :(

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Mango Polo posted:

The top one is from the GK Power Armour and Terminator boxes with a bit of green stuff, but what about the bottom one? Are there any other similar hands?

Already said but yeah that's the tac marine missile launcher hand, its pretty handy :rimshot: I used it for a librarian for my marines.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ezekiel_980 posted:

STOP!

Hammerhand

Raunchy
Jan 22, 2011

Inverse Icarus posted:

keep spilling more until you have a chaos black carpet.

That statement made me laugh pretty hard. The quick image I got of someone just sitting there giggling and pouring paint on their carpet is great.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
The real question is what should he highlight it with?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Mango Polo posted:

The top model's open hand is from the new power armour grey knights.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Ashcans posted:

STOP!

Hammerhand

I hate you so much

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Can any one recommend a varnish that can be used with an airbrush? I've been looking at the Vallejo ones but I'm not sure they are meant for airbrushing.

I may be a bit late on this, but I love using Future Floor Wax for for my first layer of clear. It's an acrylic that shrinks down and dries perfectly clear, then you just spray on some of the Model Master flat coat to kill the shine and you're done. Plus it can be cleaned up with Windex, so none of that nasty impossible to get rid of solvent based stuff will get into your airbrush. I'm using a Badger gravity feed dual action, which does make getting the mechanism clean a bit easier than on a siphon feed.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Beerdeer posted:

I picked up some Malifaux figs today and the cast was really poor quality, and very soft metal. Is this a common thing for them?

All of them? One of my friends had a miscast and Wyrd was really good about sending out a replacement. I don't remember Malifaux figs being any softer than any other metal figs. If you're just used to recent GW metals then I can see what you're talking about. The most recent GW metals were way harder than any other metal figs I can think of.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Ashcans posted:

STOP!

Hammerhand

Similarly,

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, GW metals are a lot harder than many other companies. I think that it was partly to get better definition in the casts, possibly just because they were swapping to a different alloy. I know Reaper uses a softer metal and I think many smaller shops do as well; it doesn't make for worse miniatures, it just takes a little getting used to.

spacegoat posted:

Similarly,

This is the most amazing thing.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I am mostly used to GW metals, and the weak points were thin bits like shovel handles and swords.

As far as the quality, it was mostly a shallowness. Hard to explain, but it was like the old Partha figs that were really thin front to back. Detail was there, but not "substance" if that makes sense. If that's how they are, then that's how they are I guess.

Raunchy
Jan 22, 2011

So here are a few photos of my progress. They came out utterly horrible picture wise and my camera oveemphasized the highlighting. I swear it isn't as blue as it appears.

^^ That's where the blue really came out for some reason. I am only showing this one for the image of the highlighting of the pants.

Also I haven't started the feet nor the gun and a shoulder pad yet.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Beerdeer posted:

I am mostly used to GW metals, and the weak points were thin bits like shovel handles and swords.

As far as the quality, it was mostly a shallowness. Hard to explain, but it was like the old Partha figs that were really thin front to back. Detail was there, but not "substance" if that makes sense. If that's how they are, then that's how they are I guess.

I guess I'm used to softer metals and am used to storing and handling bits that might break. I don't really think about it any more.

I can kind of see what you mean. The bare metal minis aren't terribly impressive. Wyrd's minis have more realistic proportions. GW's usually aren't realistic at all. Have you ever seen Infinity models in person? I think those are some of the most true to scale and they look so tiny next to GW stuff.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Trollblood Warbox complete

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

rzal posted:

Trollblood Warbox complete

Red Trolls own so hard.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Those trolls are pretty awesome. The red is a nice color, and the basing is well done, too. I have to say that I really like the PP bases, they just seem to encourage more creative/interesting base work, which can really help pull a miniature (or army) together.

My Kopta got some approval in the Oath thread, so I am posting it here as well:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

GoodBee posted:

All of them? One of my friends had a miscast and Wyrd was really good about sending out a replacement. I don't remember Malifaux figs being any softer than any other metal figs. If you're just used to recent GW metals then I can see what you're talking about. The most recent GW metals were way harder than any other metal figs I can think of.

One of my death marshalls' pistols wasn't cast properly, I was just forgiving/had a spare wild west pistol to replace the miscast bit.

They seem about normal casting quality honestly.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

counterspin posted:

You don't get anything other than the Paypal message. I just received some bases from them exactly a week after I placed the initial order (Friday to Friday).

GoodBee posted:

I was just looking for bases and Dragonforge has a big notice that said they are currently processing June 3-5th. Looks like they're catching up on back orders. Let us know when you get them in. I'm looking to put a small army on some fancy bases and I liked Dragonforge the best.

I pin the feet the the base.

I just got a notice that my items have shipped today, 10 days after the order went through. I didn't notice they had that "backed up" message, it's all good.

Jives
May 1, 2011
I found some zombies that I painted aged 13 yesterday! I only painted about half the regiment then, so I figured I may as well start painting up the rest.

I should probably have improved more than I have.. The bluish one is newly painted.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Jives posted:

I found some zombies that I painted aged 13 yesterday! I only painted about half the regiment then, so I figured I may as well start painting up the rest.

I should probably have improved more than I have.. The bluish one is newly painted.

I love younger teenage paintjobs. SPLOTCHES OF BLOOD EVERYWHERE! Of course I did the same.

Jives
May 1, 2011

lilljonas posted:

I love younger teenage paintjobs. SPLOTCHES OF BLOOD EVERYWHERE! Of course I did the same.

It does make a tiny bit of sense, they are zombies after all. (every other model I painted was just as bloody)

genola
Apr 7, 2011
I once painted a bunch of dire avengers(or was it guardians?) all black with blood splotches when I was 14 or 15. What the heck was I thinking?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Inverse Icarus posted:

My buddy and I have convinced our girlfriends to try painting models.

I have had two past girlfriends try this. One chose a Mordheim Dregg to paint, giving him turquoise skin and silver (mythril silver) hair. The other chose a Cherub to paint (never put a brush to it) and a single tallarn autocannon, which she painted the trim gold.

Mistakes, I've made a few. :ughh:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Post 9-11 User posted:

I have had two past girlfriends try this. One chose a Mordheim Dregg to paint, giving him turquoise skin and silver (mythril silver) hair. The other chose a Cherub to paint (never put a brush to it) and a single tallarn autocannon, which she painted the trim gold.

Mistakes, I've made a few. :ughh:

4 years ago my wife painted a thousand suns terminator but spent like three weeks shading the armor plates on the one guy. She worked on second model for a few minutes and then gave up. Hoping she can get into painting cygnar for me once her schedule cools off. I showed her photos of weathering powder effects and she's excited.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

My girlfriend does a lot of that lightning and fire on my various gravtanks. Art degrees, she's got a few. Nerdscore!

Incidentally, crossposting!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

theironjef posted:

My girlfriend does a lot of that lightning and fire on my various gravtanks. Art degrees, she's got a few. Nerdscore!

Incidentally, crossposting!

1: those are awesome
2: where the hell do you get those wings I need 50

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Those are the wings that come with them.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I cant believe the jump in quality from the old DE range to the new one. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

PaintVagrant posted:

I cant believe the jump in quality from the old DE range to the new one. Wow.

It really is nuts, isn't it? Between the finecast thing and these guys, I bet their stuff will be smouldering poo poo hot in 4 years.

• Locked thread