Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Watched Hotel Rwanda. I didn't think it was anything special as far as a movie goes, as great as the story was. I think I was massively desensitized to it and destined to not be impressed, since the Netflix sleeve called it the African Schindler's List and the drat unskippable intro to the DVD features Don Cheadle telling you exactly how many people his character saved. I prefer to know very little about a movie's plot going in, so I was pretty irritated. Anyway, great story, but I didn't think the movie truly did it justice.

As usual with you Peaceful Anarchy, I haven't seen any of those except for one, which I won't recommend to anyone, ever. So watch Humanity and Paper Balloons because it's intrigued me for awhile so I'd like to see your take on it.

Das Boot: Das submarine has a long goddamn runtime.

Dial M For Murder: Wait, I seriously haven't seen this yet?

Slumdog Millionaire: Sick of hearing about this...

Into the Wild: Never heard anything about this, but sounds manly...

Trainspotting: Started to watch this years ago, but I was pretty easily turned off by its goofiness and the fact that it revolved around drugs. Guess I need to watch it eventually.

The Lady Eve: Was next on my "to watch" list but I was sick of the era at the time.

Stalker: Tarkovskiy is very hit or miss for me, so something with this long of a runtime is scary.

Manhattan: Maybe one of these days I'll see a Woody Allen movie I enjoy.

McCabe & Mrs. Miller: I knew nothing about this before reading the Netflix description, but Altman + Beatty + the frontier? Sounds awesome, why haven't I seen this yet?

Paisan: Rossellini movies have been depressing but technically great, so we'll see....
[/quote]

Movies I've seen (my second time around): Hotel Rwanda

Brian Fellows fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Brian Fellows posted:

As usual with you Peaceful Anarchy, I haven't seen any of those except for one, which I won't recommend to anyone, ever.
Is it Possession or Fat Girl? I'll get on Humanity and Paper Balloons in a little bit.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Maybe the lack of spacing? I dunno, I don't see a problem with your format either.

Yeah, it was just the spacing and the odd numbers. Just irked me.

Brian Fellows posted:

Movies I've seen (my second time around): Hotel Rwanda

May want to add your short review of this. I think it's a probatable offense not to do so, or at least that's what a mod said a while ago. Besides, we all want to know how you felt about it!

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 14, 2011

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Fat Girl, which I hated. Don't know how I forgot to give a review; leave me alone, it's been months since I've been in this thread :ssh:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Brian Fellows, I can't pass up recomending a Sturges film, so The Lady Eve it is.

Humanity and Paper Balloons was a really good film. The style is subdued, but it only makes the barbs stand out all the more sharply, criticizing the Japanese social structure and its various conceptions of honour and pride. I hesitate to call this a masterpiece, though it is close, but it is a beautiful and touching film.

Updated list:

The Last Command Another silent I need to get around to.

Lagaan One of the big ones from contemporary Bollywood. Why is it 4 drat hours though?

Fat Girl From one fat girl Criterion to another.

Riget Time to add another miniseries I haven't seen. All I know is it's made by Lars von Trier.

Possession Not sure why I have this on my need to see list actually. Maybe someone here recommended it? Seems like it could be brilliant or terrible.

The Wind Will Carry Us The last Kiarostami movie I saw, Ten, really soured me on the guy, but considering I've liked his other features there's no reason not to give this a shot.

Un coeur en hiver Some French film about a violinist. I dunno, it's on the TSPDT list.

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son Not really a fan of the two Ken Jacobs shorts I've seen, but this seems like essential avant garde cinema.

Être et avoir Documentary about teaching little kids or something. Apparently it's really good.

Zulu Michael Caine war movie. That's about all I know.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Fat Girl From one fat girl Criterion to another.

Let's go with this one.

The King of Comedy was pretty great. It may not be a movie up to standards of the best of Scorsese, but I found it to be captivating and wouldn't rate it that far from Taxi Driver or Goodfellas. De Niro lights up the place, and his performance in this movie seems forgotten in the middle of his other great movies. The whole thing feels very like a dark comedy version of Taxi Driver. Both featuring two lonely men, social inept and both go into crazy schemes which outcome is quite unpredictable. Both even end in the almost the same tone. Okay Rupert Pupkin doesn't go on a killing spree, I'm talking about the fantasy vs reality ending of both Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy. It's quite an interesting film about how Celebrities interact with their Fans, and vice versa, too.

My Shame List:

The Asphalt Jungle Cause my list doesn't have enough Noir/Crime movies!

Stray Dog Another Kurosawa Noir.

Cape Fear I did not care much for the Scorsese remake. Hoping this will be better.

Rebecca Hitchcock's only Best Picture win.

The Graduate Need context for all those Mrs. Robinson jokes

La Règle du Jeu Haven't had a French movie on the list for quite some time.

Bonnie and Clyde Been avoiding watching this for some reason.

Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan KHAA-no not doing that.

Shane One of the Classic Westerns.

A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies Martin Scorsese talks about cinema for 4 hours.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Electronico6 posted:

The Graduate Need context for all those Mrs. Robinson jokes

It's not the best movie of all time, it may even be a touch over rated. There are however some really nice parts and elements of The Graduate that make it very special. I'm curious to hear what you think about it.

Brazil has been completed! This is probably my favorite movie of the three that I have watched... but not because I enjoyed it. There's probably nothing new in me saying that Brazil is a pretty excruciatingly uncomfortable experience. Nearly every scene is super crowded and claustrophobic and with all of the abstract poo poo going on, I had to pause it a bunch and take breaks. Otherwise, I would've gone the way of Sam at the end. However, It is clear that Gilliam new exactly what he wanted out of the film, it worked on many levels. My one real complaint is that the love story was great... until Sam actually meets the girl and then it feels rushed and contrived. Otherwise, this was a really good flick.

8/10

My New List:

1. Blade Runner

I have a feeling this is gonna be the first once people insist that I watch. I've just never really gotten around to it. I think I tried watching it when I was super young and it didn't grab me at all.

2. Dr. Strangelove

I know it's kind of a big deal that I haven't seen this but I can sort of justify it as just never really finding Kubrick all that accessible. Also, this is another one of those movies that I watched in my childhood and didn't really take to.

3. Apocalypse Now

Another important one that I've missed. I love FFC and I'm sure I'll dig this once I give it a shot. Along with the challenge to watch this however, I'll want a recommendation as to which version to watch.

4. Raging Bull

I've only recently began enjoying Scorsese's work. I'm still sorta lukewarm on De Niro. I loved him in Taxi Driver and Deer Hunter but I've been severely underwhelmed by pretty much everything else I've seen him in.

5. 28 Days Later

I've seen almost everything Danny Boyle has done, even the obscure poo poo like Shallow Grave. For whatever reason, I missed this one. Not opposed to zombie films or anything, so I'm definitely up for it.

6. Cool Hand Luke

Out of everything on this list, this is probably the film I most want to see. My all time favorite movie is The Great Escape and I absolutely adore old war films so yeah... please suggest this :shobon:

7. *NEW* Predator *NEW*

Pop in this movie, turn off the lights, max out the volume, and maybe I'll have a stew going?

8. The Bicycle Thief

Yeah yeah... I'm sorry world, I haven't seen it yet. I know, I'm a shitbag. Again, I've heard nothing but good things and I know it's a huge classic.

9. Crimes and Misdemeanors

I love comedy and I haven't seen nearly enough Woody Allen flicks. Not exactly sure how or why I've missed the boat on his stuff, but yeah. Definitely need more Woody.

10. Vertigo

I must have started and stopped this film so many times. I've never even had much an issue with it, it's just one of those films where I start it, get interrupted while watching it, and never get back to it. I just have to start it up, lock my door, and watch the drat thing already.

De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10 Brazil 8/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Chili posted:

6. Cool Hand Luke

Out of everything on this list, this is probably the film I most want to see. My all time favorite movie is The Great Escape and I absolutely adore old war films so yeah... please suggest this :shobon:

Cool Hand Luke is great, but it's not by any stretch a war movie. It's about a prison in the rural South. Totally loving rules, though.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

penismightier posted:

Cool Hand Luke is great, but it's not by any stretch a war movie. It's about a prison in the rural South. Totally loving rules, though.

Is this is an assignment? I don't see a list, Mister. :colbert:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Chili posted:

Is this is an assignment? I don't see a list, Mister. :colbert:

It's not an assignment. It's a heads-up so you're not disappointed.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
That was close. For a moment I thought you guys had a failure to communicate.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

penismightier posted:

It's not an assignment. It's a heads-up so you're not disappointed.

What's got me more excited for it is that it's in the same "camp" :laugh: as The Great Escape. But yeah, heads up is appreciated.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Kull the Conqueror posted:

That was close. For a moment I thought you guys had a failure to communicate.

I'd have to spend a night in the box.

And, yeah, Chili, if you're into Great Escape you'll get a kick out of it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Chili posted:

6. Cool Hand Luke

Your list is chock-full of great stuff, but in light of the conversation I don't exactly feel like I can pick anything else now.

Tokyo Story: This feels like another one of those movies where me being 23 years old hinders its message which seems to be about generational conflict and transition. It also doesn't help that I'm not intimately familiar with Japanese modernization and its social impact. The composition is beautiful, and there was a 20-30 minute period there that was pretty much perfect, making me well up at the masterfully natural expression of grief being shown. I don't think Ozu was particularly fond of technology or urbanity. I found it more academically compelling than something I'd call a favorite.

1. The Great Dictator: I've only seen two Chaplins (Gold Rush and Modern Times) and thoroughly adored them both.

2. The Color of Pomegranites: Not much of an idea of what to expect here, but a trusted friend of mine recommends it with the highest esteem.

3. Shane: I'm trying really hard to get through the majority of these classic Westerns.

4. Forbidden Planet: I feel especially bad about this because I am really into science fiction.

5. Nashville: There's got a lot of classic Altman I haven't seen.

6. The Hidden Fortress: Kurosawa movies tend to put me in a nice glow after watching one of his movies, and I gather that this one is no different.

7. Blue Velvet: My Lynch canon is in dire need of some beefing up.

8. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans: Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. Red River: I'm pretty sure I've seen this, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about it.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday, The Wages of Fear, Rashomon, Stroszek, The French Connection, Singin' in the Rain, Cries and Whispers, Grand Illusion, Gaslight, Aliens, Wild Strawberries, Scenes from a Marriage, M, Tokyo Story

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I don't think Ozu was particularly fond of technology or urbanity.

I don't think this is true, especially urbanity. Nearly all(if not all) of his films are set in modern times and most are in an urban setting. He certainly has some issues with the consequences of that, but I think what you're seeing is more the consequences of him exploring generational gaps, which is a recurring theme in his films. I think you're right that Tokyo Story probably works better the older you are, though it does a really good job of showing both perspectives with equal sympathy.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Yeah, I figured that was the case. If all of his films are similar in these themes, it seems like it might be beneficial to wait a while before I explore more of them. It's hard to identify with the death of a parental unit (hell, even having a career) when I'm at this stage in my life.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

7. Blue Velvet: My Lynch canon is in dire need of some beefing up.

Witness the best thing Dennis Hopper ever did. Except for Speed.

I loved The Night of the Hunter. It's dreamy atmosphere just sucked me in right away. I guess I'm kind of a sucker for nightmarish films. The strange lighting and photography beautifully enhanced the film's creepiness. It also helps that Robert Mitchum is excellent as the villain. He really is one of the scariest antagonists that I've seen in a movie. Unfortunately the movie kinda falls apart at the end. I didn't really like anything that happened after the kids reached their final destination. I guess they had to have everything end well. That's alright, but the way they did it felt sloppy to me.

1. Persona - No clue what it's about.

2. Tokyo Story - I think I might have a problem appreciating muted emotions in movies. I might have a hard time watching this.

3. Some Like it Hot - Wilder is pretty great.

4. The Night of the Hunter Metropolis - Still don't have the inclination to watch a silent on my own unless someone tells me to.

5. Rio Bravo - John Wayne seemed like he was a real rear end in a top hat. Maybe I'll enjoy some of his films anyway.

6. The Graduate - I can't really get excited to watch this for some reason.

7. The Rules of the Game - Ranked as one of the very best movies of all time, I think it's a about class warfare or something. Ooooh, a war movie!

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Don't really know how I managed to avoid this for so long, not even ever seeing it on TV.

9. The New World - I'm going to guess that The New World has little dialogue, amazing images, and lots and lots of wildlife shots. Anything else would be a radical departure.

10. Brief Encounter - Haven't seen that many movies from the 40's.

Watched(Score/100): The Seventh Seal 95, Moon 84, Barton Fink 95, The Thin Blue Line 86, Cool Hand Luke 87, Citizen Kane 96, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 91, Rear Window 94, North by Northwest 86, Goodfellas 97, Casablanca 95, City Lights 81, Seven Samurai 92, Bicycle Thieves 88, Do the Right Thing 95, The Battle of Algiers 86, On the Waterfront 78, Wild Strawberries 94, The Trial 91, Adaptation 89, Unforgiven 91, Annie Hall 86, The 400 Blows 88, Diabolique 80, Mulholland Dr. 98, Dirty Harry 60, The 39 Steps 82, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 92, 8 1/2 85, Boogie Nights 88, A Streetcar Named Desire 77, Raiders of the Lost Ark 92, The General 87, Pickpocket 74, Pulp Fiction 96, Amadeus 88, Lawrence of Arabia 92, Eraserhead 84, The Lady Vanishes 84, The Wild Bunch 83, A Clockwork Orange 79, Platoon 76, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 85, Ikiru 91, Jules and Jim 92, The Asphalt Jungle 81, M 86, The Thin Red Line 86, Dial M for Murder 85, The Sting 81, Once Upon a Time in the West 86, The Exterminating Angel 85, A Woman Under the Influence 96, Singin' in the Rain 85, Scenes from a Marriage 93, Badlands 85, City of God 91, The Gold Rush 74, The Maltese Falcon 86, The Conformist 87, The Shawshank Redemption 83, High and Low 90, It's a Wonderful Life 75, Days of Heaven 87, Le Samourai 71, The Night of the Hunter 91

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Atheistdeals.com posted:

4. The Night of the Hunter Metropolis - Still don't have the inclination to watch a silent on my own unless someone tells me to.

Well I'll be the one to tell you. Go watch Metropolis.

The Graduate was quite good, for the first hour and such. Then those last 30 minutes it takes off in some other direction, which frankly I didn't quite care about. And all this is capped off by Dustin Hoffman and Katharine Ross in the final scene as they sit on the bus staring at the camera with these faces that say it all "Did the last 30 minutes make any sense?".
I guess that's the point, and that the rash and not well thought out actions of both will end them in the same position as Mr. and Mrs. Robinson. Trapped in a loveless marriage, wasting away their dreams and having sex with a young Dustin Hoffman.(Maybe not the last part) It's quite clever in that way, but I just didn't like the way it was built to.
But there's plenty of classic scenes and lines, and funny moments in the beginning of the movie. The music was also good, till they started to repeat the same tune 4 times in the space of 10 minutes.

My Shame List:

The Asphalt Jungle Cause my list doesn't have enough Noir/Crime movies!

Cape Fear I did not care much for the Scorsese remake. Hoping this will be better.

The Seventh Seal Shall this become the Ingmar Bergman spot?

A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies Martin Scorsese talks about cinema for 4 hours.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Electronico6, watch The Asphalt Jungle.

So, I was all ready to hate Fat Girl but it turns out I thought it was a pretty great film. I can see how some might not like it, it's not exactly a pleasant experience and some of the conversations are a little inane, but it feels very genuine and the way Breillat lingers on some of the unpleasant moments really brings home the emotional conflicts of the two girls. I don't really have much insightful to say about it at the moment but, while I understand not liking it, some of the hate for this seems over the top. The ending did feel out of place, though. It really changes the impact of the film.
Edit: Looking around at reviews it seems I overestimated the hate for the film and there are a bunch of people who seem to feel similarly to how I do.

Updated list:

Lagaan One of the big ones from contemporary Bollywood. Why is it 4 drat hours though?

Riget Time to add another miniseries I haven't seen. All I know is it's made by Lars von Trier.

Possession Not sure why I have this on my need to see list actually. Maybe someone here recommended it? Seems like it could be brilliant or terrible.

The Wind Will Carry Us The last Kiarostami movie I saw, Ten, really soured me on the guy, but considering I've liked his other features there's no reason not to give this a shot.

Un coeur en hiver Some French film about a violinist. I dunno, it's on the TSPDT list.

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son Not really a fan of the two Ken Jacobs shorts I've seen, but this seems like essential avant garde cinema.

Être et avoir Documentary about teaching little kids or something. Apparently it's really good.

The Jazz Singer I guess I should see the first sound film.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 16, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Yeah, I figured that was the case. If all of his films are similar in these themes, it seems like it might be beneficial to wait a while before I explore more of them. It's hard to identify with the death of a parental unit (hell, even having a career) when I'm at this stage in my life.

Eh, they're about generational gaps but they're not all about dying. Many are about old men trying to marry off their daughters. I think I'd recommend An Autumn Afternoon as something that's a little lighter in tone but still very Ozu. Taking your time between Ozu films is definitely a good idea though. Otherwise they start blending together.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Seems like very few have seen this.

The King's Speech - The film sets looked good but I didn't find the story too compelling or interesting considering what it revolves around. A king consistently whining about his shortcomings and occasionally throwing his royalty in the face of the guy trying to help. All the conflicts felt forced, predictable and strange particularly when the King threatens to charge Lionel with treason for not telling him that he wasn't a doctor.

Churchill also makes frequent appearances with a variety of strange faces.

I also found it absurdly humorous that the films soundtrack is mostly by German/Austrian composers.

IMDb list:

#167 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

#168 Finding Nemo - Saw some of this on TV and it seemed decent. 4/2/11

#170 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Is this similar to Snatch? 4/23/11

#183 Gandhi - I believe this was the first movie I added to the Netflix queue when I got that service. Then I added another 300+ movies and this vanished somewhere into ether. 5/18/11

#186 Judgment at Nuremberg - Vaguely remember hearing of it but never got around to it. 5/25/11

#188 The Night of the Hunter - Never even heard of it besides the references in the thread. 6/2/11

#192 The Battle of Algiers - One of the few Movies of the Month I haven't seen. Put this off way too long. 6/8/11

new #196 The Hustler - I never did like Paul Newman's pasta sauces (the Newman's Own brand). Nasty frozen pizzas too. I don't care if they've given $300million USD to charity in the last 30 years! 6/16/11

#197 The Road - I saw Nights of Cabiria a while ago and liked it so maybe I'll like this as well. That lead actress had a very unique presence/aura about her. 6/11/11

#198 The Social Network - Not a big facebook fan nor biopic fan. If the facebook creator is portrayed as a villain this could be good. 6/8/11

Zogo fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 17, 2011

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Zogo posted:

#198 The Social Network - Not a big facebook fan nor biopic fan. If the facebook creator is portrayed as a villain this could be good. 6/8/11

It's not about facebook or a true biopic. Zuckerberg is a smug rear end in a top hat, does that fit your villain criteria?

The Asphalt Jungle really captures that whole underground urban environment, it's all very dark and gritty pulls you right into the movie. It's great crime thriller and I got a soft spot for heist movies and this is one of the best I have seen. The actual heist is one of the high points of the movie, everything is done with this very subtle simplicity and the lack of soundtrack makes for a great tense scene, more so when the alarms and sirens kick off. The rest of the movie is also amazing, that whole feeling of impending doom that awaits the characters is palpable and it remains a ride till the very end.

Also most disturbing ending ever. Poor Dix dies in his home near the horses...AND THEN THEY EAT HIS CORPSE!(Not really but it seems they are.)

My Shame List:

A Woman Under the Influence Only know Cassavetes as the actor.

The Seventh Seal Shall this become the Ingmar Bergman spot?

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Electronico6, The Seventh Seal this time.

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son was a strange kind of dull overkill. There's nothing I'd call bad about it, but a two hour silent deconstruction of a random (and pretty silly) silent short gets old quickly. Lots of slow motion and fast forward/rewind, occasional panning of stills and a few other tricks draw attention to various aspects of the film but for every bit that made me think "that's kind of neat" there were 10 minutes of "when will this loving end." It also doesn't help that it feels very unsystematic, so I never got a sense that it was building to anything. In the second half there are some slightly more meta moments with things like shots of the film being projected, people pointing at the screen and a shot of into the projecting light, but it doesn't add up to much of anything.

Updated list:

Zero Kelvin Not very familiar with Norwegian cinema. This won an award.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Red Beard might be Kurosawa's most compositionally beautiful film, and Mifune's best performance. It's a little long in the tooth but god I could live in those compositions. The music was quite beautiful, too, much more restrained than Kurosawa's others from this era. Sorta anticipating Ran.

PA, Zulu is just a good ol fashioned adventure movie. It's also horribly racist as I recall, so uh. We'll see.

New list:

Two Thousand Maniacs! Is this any good? I wasn't thrilled with Blood Feast.

The Tarnished Angels Sirk's favorite Sirk movie.

Night Moves I've been meaning to watch this since Arthur Penn died, but haven't gotten to it.

Naked City Been watching, and ADORING, the TV show.

I Know Where I'm Going! Really gotta get to work on P&P.

The Ninth Configuration I keep getting real adamant about watching this, and then it fizzles out in like ten minutes.

Toto, Peppino e la malafemmina Italian comedy doesn't do it for me, but Terrence Malick of all people loves this one. Certainly worth a try.

Les rendez-vous d'Anna The only one in the Chantal Akerman Eclipse set I haven't gotten around to yet.

New: Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

Barfly I'm a big Bukowski fan which, actually, is why I keep avoiding this.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10)

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF
FInally got through "Le Cercle rouge." I'll try to give a full-ish review after time to reflect/a good night's sleep.

First impression rating: 4.5/5

1) The Sting
2) Network
3) Mean Streets
4) The Science of Sleep
5) Dog Day Afternoon
6) Barton Fink
7) Being John Malkovich
8) The Big Lebowski
9 All About Eve
10) The Graduate

penismightier, since I'm totally unfamiliar with any of these, my choice is "Le rendezvous d'Anna." Might as well finish off that box set, and if it's French, it has to be a classic.*

*Probably not even remotely true please don't hurt me. :ohdear:

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Soundtrack, your list is the first one so far that has multiple things on it that I’ve both seen and loved. I’ve gotta go with the obvious pick and have you watch:

Soundtrack To Mary posted:

8) The Big Lebowski

My one recommendation is to try and watch the movie with friends, if at all possible. It’s just better with people. I won’t say anything else, the less you know going in, the better.

Alright, so it’s no surprise for me, but I loved loved loved Cool Hand Luke. The characters were great, it was whole lot of fun and I felt very heavily invested in Luke’s story. Paul Newman was great but George Kennedy stole the show in my book. If I had one complaint, I think Luke won over the prisoners a bit too quickly. Also, his turning into an escape artist felt a tad contrived, I didn't really understand why the warden locked him up in the box just cause his mom died. It seemed rather out of place for me as the warden seemed like an otherwise reasonable dude.

Those are microscopic beefs however, an easy 9/10 for me.

My New List:

1. Blade Runner

I have a feeling this is gonna be the first once people insist that I watch. I've just never really gotten around to it. I think I tried watching it when I was super young and it didn't grab me at all.

2. Dr. Strangelove

I know it's kind of a big deal that I haven't seen this but I can sort of justify it as just never really finding Kubrick all that accessible. Also, this is another one of those movies that I watched in my childhood and didn't really take to.

3. Apocalypse Now

Another important one that I've missed. I love FFC and I'm sure I'll dig this once I give it a shot. Along with the challenge to watch this however, I'll want a recommendation as to which version to watch.

4. Raging Bull

I've only recently began enjoying Scorsese's work. I'm still sorta lukewarm on De Niro. I loved him in Taxi Driver and Deer Hunter but I've been severely underwhelmed by pretty much everything else I've seen him in.

5. 28 Days Later

I've seen almost everything Danny Boyle has done, even the obscure poo poo like Shallow Grave. For whatever reason, I missed this one. Not opposed to zombie films or anything, so I'm definitely up for it.

6. *NEW* Close Encounters of the Third Kind *NEW*

I just saw Super 8 and it made really want to go back and watch more of the old school Spielberg stuff. I hear this doesn't really hold a candle to ET and Jaws, but I want to give it a shot anyhow.

7. Predator

Pop in this movie, turn off the lights, max out the volume, and maybe I'll have a stew going?

8. The Bicycle Thief

Yeah yeah... I'm sorry world, I haven't seen it yet. I know, I'm a shitbag. Again, I've heard nothing but good things and I know it's a huge classic.

I love comedy and I haven't seen nearly enough Woody Allen flicks. Not exactly sure how or why I've missed the boat on his stuff, but yeah. Definitely need more Woody.

10. Vertigo

I must have started and stopped this film so many times. I've never even had much an issue with it, it's just one of those films where I start it, get interrupted while watching it, and never get back to it. I just have to start it up, lock my door, and watch the drat thing already.

De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9/10

Chili fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 19, 2011

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

Chili posted:

5. 28 Days Later

Chili just turned me on to this thread so here ya go.

Not my favorite zombie movie but Cillian Murphy does a great job as the protagonist.

My List (No particular order):

1. Aliens

I liked Alien enough to consider watching this but I'm a bit soured on Cameron cause of Avatar.

2. City of God

Just "borrowed" it from a friend on DVD. Someone make me watch it.

3. Dr. Strangelove

The only Kubrick I've actually liked was Clockwork so I'm kind of skeptical.

4. Network

I've heard people rave about it but all I know is the line "I'm mad as hell...."

5. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

I like westerns I just haven't gotten around to it.

6. Cool Hand Luke

Chili just raved about it so why the hell not.

7. My Neighbor Totoro

I really love when a movie that's intended for children really hits home for adults to and I've heard that about this one.

8. North by Northwest

Always heard good things.

9.The Wrestler

I've seen everything else Aronofsky's done. The only one I didn't care for was Pi but that's just me.

10. Annie Hall

I don't think I like Woody Allen but who knows, maybe I do.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Philip J. Fry, Dr. Strangelove is a great movie, go watch it.

I'd be a lot more forgiving of Zulu if it either a) wasn't 2 hours and 20 minutes long, b) had any characters worth a drat, or c) gave any motivation for the battle other than "we're her majesty's army." The movie's racist but not so much because it promotes racism as the fact that it entirely presupposes the superiority of the British over the Zulus. There's a complete dehumanization that's both disturbing and fascinating, bodies strewn everywhere and an hour of slaughter and the most we get is "I feel a little sick." But the Zulus are warriors who respect a good battle, so killing a bunch of them is just showing them their place, right. There are some good battle scenes, and solid cinematography, but neither makes it worthwhile, just bearable.

Updated list:

The Year of Living Dangerously Peter Weir, Mel Gibson early 80s. That's the extent of my knowledge.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
Hausu is an incredible viewing experience. It's a live action cartoon that seems childish and insane before the childishness gets beaten into a flashy pulp. I don't know exactly what I expected but if you want a visual feast of a horror movie this is it, just be sure to not take it too seriously because some (okay, most) of it is ridiculous. It's a movie I now feel the need to show to a bunch of my friends just so I can see their collective reactions.

PA, you get The Jazz Singer. It's not that good but it's a piece of film history that is worth seeing for that aspect alone.

List o Shame:

1)Cars - Only Pixar movie I have yet to see.

2) Easy Rider - Rented it thrice and never found the time to watch. Not for lack of interest, just didn't happen.

3) The Lives of Others - Pretty recent but everyone and their dog seems to love this movie and I just haven't put forth the effort.

4) Black Narcissus – I have never seen a Powell/Pressburger joint.

5) The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - I've only seen Faces by Cassavetes and I wasn't impressed so I've been putting off a second chance. I imagine I'd like Faces more now, I think I was 18 when I saw it.

6)127 Hours – Only BP nominee from this past year I haven’t seen.

7) City Lights – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9)The Time of the Wolf - Friend is a big Haneke fan and has lent this to me.

10) In the Bedroom - I've owned it for years and just keep forgetting I have it.

Shame Be Gone!: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Third time's a charm, I'll try and stick with it this time.

Ratedargh, you get City Lights, one of Chaplin's best.

As for my list, same as the last two times, the top ten unchecked entries on ICM...

1. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Dig The Archers and from what I've read, this one is pretty well liked by everyone.

2. Three Colors: Red - I've seen the first and didn't hate it so that's something.

3. Rome: Open City - Only seen two Rossellini films

4. L'avventura - Foreign movies are gonna be all over this list.

5. Greed - gently caress you to whoever makes me watch this in advance, 4 loving hours.

6. Playtime - Liked the other two Tati films I've seen.

7. Yiyi - I know nothing about this, too lazy to look it up right now.

8. L'Atalente - Also know nothing about it

9. Z - Looks good

10. Festen - I don't think I've seen a single bad thing said about this.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Wilhelm Scream posted:

2. Three Colors: Red - I've seen the first and didn't hate it so that's something.

Watch it in order, man. White's the weak link, but it's a very good movie in its own right and an important part of the larger message.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wilhelm Scream, I'll give you Greed next time, but right now you need to watch Z.

The Jazz Singer is actually a pretty good film. It suffers from being dated, both technically and in terms of some of the content, but the underlying soul of the film is still very touching. I was a bit surprised by just how much of this is still silent, I think besides the singing there was only one conversation that had sound, which was a bit jarring. The much noted blackface is, while still jarring, not as offensive as in something like Swing Time and has a certain thematic sensibility to the ideas of identity that run through the heart of the film. Overall, a rather pleasant surprise, though not a film without issues.

Updated list:

The Year of Living Dangerously Peter Weir, Mel Gibson early 80s. That's the extent of my knowledge.

Blue 80 minutes of a blue screen.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Blue 80 minutes of a blue screen.

Sounds....interesting. Go for it.

Watched Dr. Strangelove. I liked clockwork better but this definitely gave me more interest in Kubrick and now I understand The Life and Death of Peter Sellers a bit more. Thanks for the pick.

My list:

1. Aliens

I liked Alien enough to consider watching this but I'm a bit soured on Cameron cause of Avatar.

2. City of God

UPDATE 3. Harold and Maude

I've seen a lot of satirical things based off this but haven't gotten around to it.

4. Network

I've heard people rave about it but all I know is the line "I'm mad as hell...."

5. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

I like westerns I just haven't gotten around to it.

6. Cool Hand Luke

Chili just raved about it so why the hell not.

7. My Neighbor Totoro

I really love when a movie that's intended for children really hits home for adults to and I've heard that about this one.

8. North by Northwest

Always heard good things.

9.The Wrestler

I've seen everything else Aronofsky's done. The only one I didn't care for was Pi but that's just me.

10. Annie Hall

I don't think I like Woody Allen but who knows, maybe I do.

Cured of Shame:

Dr. Stranglelove (7.5/10)

Philip J. Fry fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 19, 2011

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

Nothing to see here.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Philip J. Fry posted:

2. City of God

I'll make you watch it! :cop:

Don't really have anything to say about The Seventh Seal, other than, yeah it's an amazing movie. One thing that puzzled me(Well there were a couple of things), is why didn't Death take the Housekeeper and Block's wife at the end? Were they special in someway like the actor's couple?

Also saw A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, which was very educational and made me wish that Scorsese went on for another 4 hours about movies. From all the ones he discussed only Faces(and maybe Detour) were the ones that I should have watched before, but no harm done. It's quite amazing how you can see in some of those old movies he talks about, the ideas and "blueprints" to Scorsese's own movies. The only downside to it is that he stops when he hits the 70's and that despite being 4 hours, at the end of it Scorsese even reminds you that he barely scratched the surface and there was so much to talk about. I think what makes this doc. work is not that Scorsese talks 4 hours about Important movies, but talks 4 hours about movies that are important to him and how they shaped him as a filmmaker. Those forgotten titles and "lesser movies. Just like he says at the end the Alfred Hitchock's, Billy Wilder's, John Huston are all very well documented, so the spotlight is one other great filmmakers which fell into the cracks.

Also what's up with the eyepatch? At least four different directors had one.

My Shame List:

Persona TSPDT ranks this one as Bergman's best.

Grizzly Man Not sure about this one. :ohdear: Herzog don't fail me now.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, The Seventh Seal, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 20, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Electronico6, I rank Persona as Bergman's best as well. I hope you do too. It's much more visceral than some of his other films though.

Blue is Jarman talking about his homosexuality and losing his vision to aids, for 80 minutes. It's all much more interesting than it sounds, even though visually the film is literally just a blue screen. I'll admit I didn't stare at the screen the whole time, instead I shut my eyes and let images form in my mind of the various things he describes. Not only is it very engaging, but some of the images were so vivid that I occasionally opened my eyes and checked the screen because I instinctively felt there was something to see. Of course, every time it was just a solid blue screen and the disappointment of continued blindness flickered for that brief second. A totally unique work of art, this was.

Updated list:

Yama no oto Naruse, I need to see more of his vast body of work.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Not familiar with Norwegian cinema either, tell me how it is.

Just finished 28 Days Later... I don't get it. The movie felt pretty pointless really and I didn't exactly go for the ending where Jim goes on god mode and just kills a bunch of bitches. Not all that much happened, and the characters felt very 2 dimensional. I don't know, there just wasn't much there. It was shot nicely though.

6/10

My New List:

1. Blade Runner

2. Dr. Strangelove

3. Apocalypse Now

4. Raging Bull

5. *NEW* Being There *NEW*

I've only seen Sellers in straight up comedies like The Party and The Pink Panther flicks, I definitely want more Sellers.

6. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

I just saw Super 8 and it made really want to go back and watch more of the old school Spielberg stuff. I hear this doesn't really hold a candle to ET and Jaws, but I want to give it a shot anyhow.

7. Predator

8. The Bicycle Thief

10. Vertigo

De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9/10, 28 Days Later 6/10

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

penismightier posted:

Watch it in order, man. White's the weak link, but it's a very good movie in its own right and an important part of the larger message.

Will do, just put it at the top of my queue.

Chili, watch Predator because it's loving awesome.

Liked Z. Loved Marcel Bozzuffi whenever he was on screen and that ending was so over the top I had to laugh.

1. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Dig The Archers and from what I've read, this one is pretty well liked by everyone.

3. Rome: Open City - Only seen two Rossellini films

4. L'avventura - Foreign movies are gonna be all over this list.

5. Greed - gently caress you to whoever makes me watch this in advance, 4 loving hours.

6. Playtime - Liked the other two Tati films I've seen.

7. Yiyi - I know nothing about this, too lazy to look it up right now.

8. L'Atalente - Also know nothing about it

9. NEW: Faust - No idea how this one escaped me for this long.

SEEN: Z-7/10

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Well hope it stays that way.

I can't quite put into words what exactly watched, other than Persona was a brilliant piece of cinema. I don't think you really need to understand the movie, the central idea is quite easy to grasp, both women are projecting their individual fears and desires to each other and they start to become one, but it was the raw emotion and dream like atmosphere that kept me glued and in trance during it's duration. Also my brain hurts from having to watch The Seventh Seal and this one, almost back to back.

My Shame List:

Through a Glass Darkly The first of the Chamber Trilogy.(Or whatever you call it)

Grizzly Man Not sure about this one. :ohdear: Herzog don't fail me now.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

One of the best that I've seen from this thread.

Metropolis was wonderful. The world it creates is fascinating, and both the set design and effects are marvelous. It's truly a inspired and unique film.

1. Persona - No clue what it's about.

2. Tokyo Story - I think I might have a problem appreciating muted emotions in movies. I might have a hard time watching this.

3. Some Like it Hot - Wilder is pretty great.

4. Metropolis Mean Streets - Love Scorsese, but I've heard people say that this is too similar to Taxi Driver but not nearly as good. That's okay, even if it isn't half as good as Taxi Driver it'll still be a good film.

5. Rio Bravo - John Wayne seemed like he was a real rear end in a top hat. Maybe I'll enjoy some of his films anyway.

6. The Graduate - I can't really get excited to watch this for some reason.

7. The Rules of the Game - Ranked as one of the very best movies of all time, I think it's a about class warfare or something. Ooooh, a war movie!

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Don't really know how I managed to avoid this for so long, not even ever seeing it on TV.

9. The New World - I'm going to guess that The New World has little dialogue, amazing images, and lots and lots of wildlife shots. Anything else would be a radical departure.

10. Brief Encounter - Haven't seen that many movies from the 40's. A David Lean film that isn't a sprawling adventure sounds interesting.

Watched(Score/100): The Seventh Seal 95, Moon 84, Barton Fink 95, The Thin Blue Line 86, Cool Hand Luke 87, Citizen Kane 96, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 91, Rear Window 94, North by Northwest 86, Goodfellas 97, Casablanca 95, City Lights 81, Seven Samurai 92, Bicycle Thieves 88, Do the Right Thing 95, The Battle of Algiers 86, On the Waterfront 78, Wild Strawberries 94, The Trial 91, Adaptation 89, Unforgiven 91, Annie Hall 86, The 400 Blows 88, Diabolique 80, Mulholland Dr. 98, Dirty Harry 60, The 39 Steps 82, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 92, 8 1/2 85, Boogie Nights 88, A Streetcar Named Desire 77, Raiders of the Lost Ark 92, The General 87, Pickpocket 74, Pulp Fiction 96, Amadeus 88, Lawrence of Arabia 92, Eraserhead 84, The Lady Vanishes 84, The Wild Bunch 83, A Clockwork Orange 79, Platoon 76, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 85, Ikiru 91, Jules and Jim 92, The Asphalt Jungle 81, M 86, The Thin Red Line 86, Dial M for Murder 85, The Sting 81, Once Upon a Time in the West 86, The Exterminating Angel 85, A Woman Under the Influence 96, Singin' in the Rain 85, Scenes from a Marriage 93, Badlands 85, City of God 91, The Gold Rush 74, The Maltese Falcon 86, The Conformist 87, The Shawshank Redemption 83, High and Low 90, It's a Wonderful Life 75, Days of Heaven 87, Le Samourai 71, The Night of the Hunter 91, Metropolis 93