Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

lDDQD posted:

I'm looking for more 2D platformers to play. Preferably for PC, but anything that can be emulated is fair game. Or PSP/NDS.

Might be a longshot, but Terraria is basically Castlevania meets Minecraft. There's a fairly persistent platforming element and most of the upgrade accessories relate to movement, like double-jumping, rocketboots, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004
I also love turtling in strategy games, but I usually prefer to do it in slower paced RTS games. Something about building a large impregnable base and then stomping the computer really appeals to me. I am going to check out the games that Harmonica mentions like Castles and Stronghold, but I am really interested in hearing some other suggestions for great turtling games.

Some other games I have played that are sort of similar, or I can at least turtle up in, are:
Harvest
The Space Game
Tower defense games like Defense Grid or Sol Survivor
Total Annihilation
Supreme Commander
Dawn of War 1
Age of Empires series
Company of Heroes
Majesty
Sins of a Solar Empire

Sins and Majesty are probably closest to what I like, but I would love to be able to build an even wider variety of structures/defenses/walls than are available in those games.

Ghosts! fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 18, 2011

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

doctor iono posted:

Have you played Evil Genius? You build a Bond villain-esque complex instead of a castle, but it's great for micromanaging and turtling.

Yeah, I've played that. Nice little game though probably less than the sum of its parts (I always disliked the way you could only build inside a tiny area).

And sorry about mentioning those games twice, I checked all the previous posts too so I must be asleep at the wheel or something :shobon:

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 18, 2011

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
If you can stand limited graphics, check out AstroEmpires.com

Free to play MMO spaceboat game.

ilikebikes
Nov 6, 2009
This is probably a long shot as its very niche, but can anyone recommend a Emergency services game, preferably an RTS/Management in the style of Emergency 2012, where you have control of the police, ambulance, fire and so on.

Also I know that Emergency 4/911 First responders is very popular but it seems to be impossible to find in the UK, so if anyone knows a place selling it that would be great.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

I'm a big fan of Rock n' Roll Racing, and regularly yearn for a high-def sequel or online multiplayer remake of it for Steam/PSN/XBLA/whatever. Is there any game that's similar? I guess its nearest cousin would be kart racers, but it's the on-the-fly vehicle upgrading that really gets me hooked when I play RnRR with my buddy on emulators.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Kruller posted:

I suddenly have a hankering for a skateboard/snowboard game along the lines of SSX3 for the original XBOX. The only requirements are a fairly simple control scheme and that is on the PS3.

Anyone have any ideas?

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

There's a new SSX coming out, so wait for that? Snowboard games (of any quality, at least) are thin on the ground.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I have a stupid specific request. Does anyone know of a game that can be played with only the mouse that is very slow paced and nothing would happen if I just ignored it for ten minutes? I mean nothing that requires me to pause, so nothing real-time. I have a little baby that is teething that likes to sleep on me, but after an hour or two I need something to keep me awake. I had Hoyle Card games that I played but it's broken now and nothing seems to fix it, and I'm getting bored of Solitaire and Freecell. I like most games but would prefer something pretty simple as I'm usually playing at 3 am with 2 hours of sleep. Thanks!

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Ariza posted:

I have a stupid specific request. Does anyone know of a game that can be played with only the mouse that is very slow paced and nothing would happen if I just ignored it for ten minutes? I mean nothing that requires me to pause, so nothing real-time. I have a little baby that is teething that likes to sleep on me, but after an hour or two I need something to keep me awake. I had Hoyle Card games that I played but it's broken now and nothing seems to fix it, and I'm getting bored of Solitaire and Freecell. I like most games but would prefer something pretty simple as I'm usually playing at 3 am with 2 hours of sleep. Thanks!

Sounds like you need to pick up a couple of PopCap games, they're all pretty simple and fun, and most of them aren't real-time. I can personally recommend Bejeweled 2 and Bookworm Adventures.

Puzzle Quest is also a pretty fun turn-based game. You can play all three of these for 5 minutes or hours on end and still have fun.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Ashenai posted:

Sounds like you need to pick up a couple of PopCap games, they're all pretty simple and fun, and most of them aren't real-time. I can personally recommend Bejeweled 2 and Bookworm Adventures.

Puzzle Quest is also a pretty fun turn-based game. You can play all three of these for 5 minutes or hours on end and still have fun.

Yes, Bookworm Adventures is lots of fun, I've used that on several occasions to keep me awake late at night :)

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I'm looking for a good Prince of Persia style 2D platformer.
I can only think of a few good ones:

Prince of Persia series
Another World/Out of This World
Flashback
Blackhawk/Blackthorne
Oddworld (Oddysee and Exodus)

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Myron posted:

Prince of Persia series
Flashback
Blackhawk/Blackthorne

Buy the Indie Variety Pack on Steam, just for Ares and especially Capsized. Capsized is probably one of the best 2D platformers I've ever played.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 19, 2011

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
I'm really craving a Collectathon. I've already played all the Spyro games, Banjo Kazooie games, Conker games, Crash Bandicoot games, Rayman games, and Mario games (with the exception of Galaxy 2, thought don't suggest it just because.)

I'm missing that old feeling of wandering around big platforming levels filled with doo-dads to pick up. :(

e: Also forgot to mention I've played/beaten/100%'d all of the Lego _______ games as well.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Myron posted:

Prince of Persia series
Flashback
Blackhawk/Blackthorne

Heart of Darkness on PS1, Limbo on XBox 360, Braid on PC/360/PS3.

The genre label you're looking for is "cinematic platformer."

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

I'm really craving a Collectathon. I've already played all the Spyro games, Banjo Kazooie games, Conker games, Crash Bandicoot games, Rayman games, and Mario games (with the exception of Galaxy 2, thought don't suggest it just because.)

I'm missing that old feeling of wandering around big platforming levels filled with doo-dads to pick up. :(

e: Also forgot to mention I've played/beaten/100%'d all of the Lego _______ games as well.

The first Jak & Daxter game is definitely something you'd enjoy.

And though some would disagree, Gex: Enter the Gecko (Gex 64) I feel was always a good game, overlooked because Gex is probably the most obnoxious and unlikeable mascot hero there ever was, even moreso if you're playing the European version. Fun level design, though, and plenty of stuff to collect.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 19, 2011

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010

Tokelau All Star posted:

I have a bunch of free time coming up and want to put 40-50 hours into a game. I have a 360.

Stuff I've gone through and liked: Oblivion, Fallout 3 and NV, Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dragon Age 1 & 2, GTA IV, Saints Row 2, Assassins Creed series.

I'm thinking of picking up either Fable III or the latest Final Fantasy but am also willing to try something outside the box, just as long as it's fun and I can put a bunch of hours into it.

Red Dead Redemption is one of the best games of the last year. The main story is 20 hours long, and runs more like 25-30 hours if you 100% all of the challenges. Add on multiplayer and the undead nightmare DLC and you're looking at 40-50 hours of playtime easy, if not more.

Also, Just Cause 2. The main story is not that long, but the game world is huge and you can waste tons of time finding things to blow up and stunts to pull off. The game has so much content that the spergy achievement for the game is set at 75% completion rather than 100%.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

MojoAZ posted:

Red Dead Redemption is one of the best games of the last year. The main story is 20 hours long, and runs more like 25-30 hours if you 100% all of the challenges. Add on multiplayer and the undead nightmare DLC and you're looking at 40-50 hours of playtime easy, if not more.

Also, Just Cause 2. The main story is not that long, but the game world is huge and you can waste tons of time finding things to blow up and stunts to pull off. The game has so much content that the spergy achievement for the game is set at 75% completion rather than 100%.

Counter point, as soon as Red Dead gets boring to you, you might as well stop playing. It's insanely repetitive.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

From Earth posted:

Looking for a game with the following properties:

- PC.
- Available on Steam.
- Fairly recent (last two, three years).
- Can be played with a controller (X-Box controller for Windows).
- Preferably little aiming (i.e., no FPS).
- Preferred genres: Action, adventure.
- No sports games.
- Not Assassins Creed (played through and loved AC2 recently, but I want to wait a month or two before I buy Brotherhood).

I'll say Dead Rising 2 because I've been playing it lately and it's pretty good! Guns play a very small role so you wont be doing a lot of aiming.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Ashenai posted:

Buy the Indie Variety Pack on Steam, just for Ares and especially Capsized. Capsized is probably one of the best 2D platformers I've ever played.

Capsized isn't quite what I had in mind, but it looks pretty good. Didn't know it was already out.

Rollersnake posted:

Heart of Darkness on PS1, Limbo on XBox 360, Braid on PC/360/PS3.

The genre label you're looking for is "cinematic platformer."

No it's not, because I'm talking about games with that specific type of movement. :colbert: I completely forgot about Heart of Darkness and I think I've actually bought it for a few bucks a couple of years ago... thanks for the reminder.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Ashenai posted:

I'll add another PopCap game: Peggle

Goku Klux Klan
Mar 15, 2004
Obligatory Custom Title
Looking for an action RPG style game for the PC (could be mmo)

Something like Diablo/ragnarok online where the focus is you have a character with a skillset and you generally slaughter a large amount of weakish monsters quickly. Or something similiar to that.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Goku Klux Klan posted:

Something like Diablo/ragnarok online where the focus is you have a character with a skillset and you generally slaughter a large amount of weakish monsters quickly. Or something similiar to that.

Titan Quest is the obvious choice if you want something just like Diablo 2. Magicka is also very good supposedly although I haven't played it. Personally I hate the Dungeon Siege games but a lot of people seem to like those games too, maybe you'll be one of them!

If you're looking for a slightly more offbeat suggestion, check out Dungeon Fighter Online. It's an MMO brawler.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Myron posted:

Capsized isn't quite what I had in mind, but it looks pretty good. Didn't know it was already out.

No it's not, because I'm talking about games with that specific type of movement. :colbert: I completely forgot about Heart of Darkness and I think I've actually bought it for a few bucks a couple of years ago... thanks for the reminder.

Most of the cinematic platformers tend to have that type of movement, probably due to the influence of Prince of Persia. Though the movement in Limbo and Braid aren't exactly like that, there's the same focus on timing-based puzzles.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ashenai posted:

Titan Quest is the obvious choice if you want something just like Diablo 2. Magicka is also very good supposedly although I haven't played it. Personally I hate the Dungeon Siege games but a lot of people seem to like those games too, maybe you'll be one of them!

If you're looking for a slightly more offbeat suggestion, check out Dungeon Fighter Online. It's an MMO brawler.

Magicka isn't anything like Diablo, really.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Goku Klux Klan posted:

Xmen Legends and Ultimate Alliance can waste some time but they dont really have itemization at all. Nox has gotten a lot of praise from goons, though it might be hard to find. Lots of games of this style are aiming to come out before d3.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
So what's a good casual multiplayer game for PC? I like straight up death match, team death match I'll play but I prefer free for all. Class-based team objective orientated type stuff really isn't my think either. Right now I play the free version of Quakelive and FFA matches are less popular and generally full of people way more skilled than me. I've been having fun with the Duke Nukem Forever deathmatches, it's good to be away from the generic space marine/war setting and have the varied weapons, jet packs and oversized environments.

I haven't played a Call of Duty, Battlefield or Modern War game in years, but are there any war FPS games on PC that have popular FFA deathmatch modes?

Goku Klux Klan
Mar 15, 2004
Obligatory Custom Title

Ashenai posted:

Watched a few Titan Quest gameplay videos and it looks good, don't know how I missed this one, going to try it out. Thank you!

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I'm looking for a game, preferably on the PC, with good "survive the siege" gameplay in it. Think of a Helm's Deep-esque scenario, or a group of people trying to survive a relentless horde of zombies surrounding their fortified place, or just a generic group of modern soldiers trying to survive the siege of a much larger force, stuff like that. It can even be just a good segment or two out of a much longer game not dedicated to this, that would be fine. But if there are any games actually centered around this premise entirely, that would be great! Resource management and options you can pick to fortify your place would be cool.

The best example I can think of off the top of my head is Dwarf Fortress, where you often find yourself having to bunker down against a potent threat, such as a goblin seige, a horde of elephants like the one that caused hell for Boatmurdered, or even just one single bad motherfucker that's a pain in the rear end to get rid of. Such seiges can often be very challenging, and if they come at a really bad time, many of your dwarves end up dying of starvation, thirst, or just end up going stark raving mad inside your fort and killing each other. Often everyone dies. Sometimes you overcome the odds and win! Which is a great feeling.

I love that type of gameplay, especially if a lot of depth is involved, and I hope that there are some good games I don't know of that have it.

Coder
Nov 15, 2004
I'm looking for a particular game that I played a long time ago. It was a simple overhead shooter, I don't think the screen moved at all. You started with a pistol and you would get swarmed by these grey-ish alien/dinosaur looking things. You could get other weapons like flamethrowers and railguns.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Coder posted:

I'm looking for a particular game that I played a long time ago. It was a simple overhead shooter, I don't think the screen moved at all. You started with a pistol and you would get swarmed by these grey-ish alien/dinosaur looking things. You could get other weapons like flamethrowers and railguns.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Crimsonland?

Coder
Nov 15, 2004
That was it, thanks!

modig
Aug 20, 2002

MrSmokes posted:

I'm looking for a game, preferably on the PC, with good "survive the siege" gameplay in it. Think of a Helm's Deep-esque scenario, or a group of people trying to survive a relentless horde of zombies surrounding their fortified place, or just a generic group of modern soldiers trying to survive the siege of a much larger force, stuff like that. It can even be just a good segment or two out of a much longer game not dedicated to this, that would be fine. But if there are any games actually centered around this premise entirely, that would be great! Resource management and options you can pick to fortify your place would be cool.

The best example I can think of off the top of my head is Dwarf Fortress, where you often find yourself having to bunker down against a potent threat, such as a goblin seige, a horde of elephants like the one that caused hell for Boatmurdered, or even just one single bad motherfucker that's a pain in the rear end to get rid of. Such seiges can often be very challenging, and if they come at a really bad time, many of your dwarves end up dying of starvation, thirst, or just end up going stark raving mad inside your fort and killing each other. Often everyone dies. Sometimes you overcome the odds and win! Which is a great feeling.

I love that type of gameplay, especially if a lot of depth is involved, and I hope that there are some good games I don't know of that have it.

Atomic Zombie Smasher. You might still be able to get the Indie Variety Pack sale on steam with AZS and 4 other games for $10. In AZS you try to evac as many people as possible from a city while zombies attack and infect. You get a helicopter and few other mercenaries, and do your best. In the normal setting you don't even get to pick your mercs, so if you get stuck with 3 that don't seem to work together, its very hard.

modig fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 20, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Something I'm sort of been looking for: Are there any good realistic shooters out there that AREN'T military shooters? I've got the STALKER series and that seems to be it as far as I can tell. I like the style of game where bullets are actually dangerous rather than mild annoyances, but you have to aim while accounting for the actual ballistic properties of the weapon rather than just having bullets instantly hit whatever you're pointing at. I like realism in shooters but I'm just tired of all that "OSCAR MIKE! HOO-RAH!" crap.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Something I'm sort of been looking for: Are there any good realistic shooters out there that AREN'T military shooters? I've got the STALKER series and that seems to be it as far as I can tell. I like the style of game where bullets are actually dangerous rather than mild annoyances, but you have to aim while accounting for the actual ballistic properties of the weapon rather than just having bullets instantly hit whatever you're pointing at. I like realism in shooters but I'm just tired of all that "OSCAR MIKE! HOO-RAH!" crap.

The Hitman series is pretty realistic in that way (there's a button for holding your breath while sniping, for instance.) It's heavily stealth-oriented though, so you're only going to enjoy it if you like planning your moves in advance and playing a well-prepared, well, hitman, as opposed to Rambo. Run and gun won't work very well in most stages.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
I've been getting anxiously addicted to Spiral Knights and the Dark Cloud 2 LP going on over in that subforum. So I'm needing to get my Dungeon Crawler fix. Preferably something more action and treasure-hunting based, as opposed to the Nethack style of going in, dying, and trying again.

Also, preferably either something for the PC or for an older console(like, whatever generation you call the one that came before the Gamecube and PS2)

I need something to play while I resist the urge to waste money on a F2P game.

e: I'm basically looking for a game that feels like an offline version of Spiral Knights without all of the stupid "You can only do so much in a real time day" restrictions.

QueerPope fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 20, 2011

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ashenai posted:

The Hitman series is pretty realistic in that way (there's a button for holding your breath while sniping, for instance.) It's heavily stealth-oriented though, so you're only going to enjoy it if you like planning your moves in advance and playing a well-prepared, well, hitman, as opposed to Rambo. Run and gun won't work very well in most stages.

I've played the Hitman series too, and they're really good, but I'd say they're more like stealth games with shooting elements than shooters (obviously this varies by game and by your preferred approach). The kind of game I mean is more something like ArmA or even Bad Company 2, but that's something other than military for once.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You may like the ArmA series (pretty hyper-realistic), and possibly the newer Operation Flashpoint: Red River (a little more videogame like). I make the disclaimer that I have not yet played OpFlash: RR, so I cannot speak for its quality personally. It's getting decent reviews, and is being called a much better game than Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, which I did play, and thought had some pretty glaring AI issues, and a fairly bland open world. So you may want to do some reading or rent it or play a demo first.

But most of the Codemasters games, and the ArmA series, tend to be pretty universally loved for the military realism without all the stupid MW2 bullshit.

edit: Ahahaha, I'm an idiot. You asked for stuff that's NOT a military shooter, and I give you a list of milsims. I'm sorry, I must have been tired when I made this post. Please ignore me :downs:

Jadz fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 23, 2011

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

MrSmokes posted:

I'm looking for a game, preferably on the PC, with good "survive the siege" gameplay in it. Think of a Helm's Deep-esque scenario, or a group of people trying to survive a relentless horde of zombies surrounding their fortified place, or just a generic group of modern soldiers trying to survive the siege of a much larger force, stuff like that.
It's not really what you're asking for, but there actually is a Helm's Deep map for Left4Dead 2 survival mode. I don't know if anyone plays it anymore, though.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

MrSmokes posted:

I'm looking for a game, preferably on the PC, with good "survive the siege" gameplay in it.

I asked about pretty much the same thing as you did a page back (I even talked about Dwarf Fortress being the prime example, same as you did).

There's not too many games of this flavour. It's a stretch, but have you played Jagged Alliance 2? You get to pick your team of mercenaries, and sooner or later, you will indeed be hunkering down within buildings and fighting off large groups of attackers (battles are turn based and can last for hours). There's no resource gathering, because it's not a base-building game (there is a central mechanic of capturing towns), but the combat depth is excellent - and afterwards, you will be looting their bodies for any goodies, which you can turn on the enemy later.

Especially if you install the 1.13 mod (newer version soon - might already even be out), because that greatly increases the size and ferocity of attacks and makes the AI roam around the map more intelligently.

edit: and the two games I mentioned Castles 1 & 2 are now on sale at GoG if anyone is interested.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Red Orchestra is basically a multiplayer version of this.