Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dr. Miracle posted:

So after a lot of faffing about I discovered there's a great MMA gym not five minutes from my house, and I've started BJJ classes, with the odd MMA class when I can make them. I never thought I would have so much fun hugging sweaty men in my pyjamas!

One thing I am worried about, though, is my ears. Most of the more experienced guys have pretty bad cauliflowering, and it's something I'd rather avoid given my profession. Can anyone here recommend some headgear? I have no idea about this stuff and I don't know if there's a particular type that's better for BJJ or something.

Also, although I'm still very, very green at grappling, this thread has been a valuable goldmine of advice. Thanks guys!

Cauliflower ear isn't likely to come up unless you train a whole lot, and even if it does it is easy to get it drained. I've had it several times and you have to look really closely at my ears to see that the left one is thicker. A lot of people keep it because they think it makes them look badass.

Any wrestling headgear will work for BJJ. Just try and get something as low profile as possible so it doesn't get in the way too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

It's a class management thing. If guys are constantly leaving to go get a drink on their own then it is disruptive to practice and you also don't know if they are breaking off because they are hurt, or because they are thirsty. Most place I've worked out at give water breaks every once in a while and if anybody needs more than they just ask one of the black belts (not because they are going to say no, but so they know why you're breaking off from the workout). That seems to work the best.

That's how I see it too.

You can get a quick sip of water any time you want if you have a water bottle on the table at the entrance of the dojo, but be quick because someone is losing time not training because you (if you need a break you say it and it's ok of course). Every couple of drill we have some time to drink. If you have to get out of the room we're in to go drink or catch some air the teacher insist that you must ask him first and will get pissed if you don't. Not that he'll ever say no or that he's on a power trip, it's just for security reason so no one suffers a small concussion goes in the hallway, lose consciousness and is only found 20 minutes later.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I wonder why more karate guys don't post. Are they scared off by grappling terminology or do they simply not exist any more? I remember many people doing karate when I was younger and I assumed that there may be some sort of resurgance due to MMA getting big, which I know isn't directly related but it gets people in the mood for combat or to better themselves physically. I haven't seen a karate thread where they could all be hiding. I've always thought the mental aspect of karate is something that a lot of other martial arts are missing out on. I'm not talking mystical poo poo or doing kata (I know a lot of places do that though), I mean mental preparation, staying calm etc. In real life I meet more people that have done TKD than karate. Is karate seen as really uncool or something? I know it might not be the most practical for self defense, but its still decent I thought for developing speed and accuracy and mental toughness and I'm sure a proper karate black belt (or perhaps lower) could drop the less useful kicks and be able to pick up at a kickboxing gym where they left off if they wanted to go super practical or just wanted a change of scenery and not feel like they just wasted 5 years. Or do goons and karate simply not mesh?

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Dirp posted:

How do I deal with someone who is really loving good at catching jabs and immediately throwing a cross back? One of my instructors can do this at will and it pretty much completely eliminates my left hand.

I try faking it and he never takes the bait but as soon as I throw a jab I'm getting my hand swatted down ever so slightly and a cross in my face instantaneously.

A lot of advice was given, I haven't read it all. But it read mostly from an (American) BJJ perspective : find a new technique to counter the other technique. Every technique has a specific counter technique and a black belt knows them all.

(To me) this is Not true at all.

I'm willing to say with 99% certainty, that your Jab just sucks (compared to your instructor). Work on your basics. Hell, you know that straight right is coming, why is it even hitting you? you have two hands right?

Train more. Get a better jab (quicker, harder so he has to respect it (you), more accurate, less obvious telegraphing, etc). Also, your instructor showed you how to jab probably, or has seen you jab a million times. he's going to know what your body looks like when you're about to jab.

The solution is, IMO, not in a specific counter combination.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Nierbo posted:

I wonder why more karate guys don't post.

I've only ever met two karate guys and they're kids here in Japan.

Everyone I know in America who does "karotty" really does TKD and knows it.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Nierbo posted:

I wonder why more karate guys don't post. Are they scared off by grappling terminology or do they simply not exist any more? I remember many people doing karate when I was younger and I assumed that there may be some sort of resurgance due to MMA getting big, which I know isn't directly related but it gets people in the mood for combat or to better themselves physically. I haven't seen a karate thread where they could all be hiding. I've always thought the mental aspect of karate is something that a lot of other martial arts are missing out on. I'm not talking mystical poo poo or doing kata (I know a lot of places do that though), I mean mental preparation, staying calm etc. In real life I meet more people that have done TKD than karate. Is karate seen as really uncool or something? I know it might not be the most practical for self defense, but its still decent I thought for developing speed and accuracy and mental toughness and I'm sure a proper karate black belt (or perhaps lower) could drop the less useful kicks and be able to pick up at a kickboxing gym where they left off if they wanted to go super practical or just wanted a change of scenery and not feel like they just wasted 5 years. Or do goons and karate simply not mesh?

The old thread used to have a number of kung-fu, karate, etc. practitioners who posted relatively often. They were pretty good at understanding their art and why they did it (see: not deadly samurais) and Kyokushin is pretty well respected around here in any case. Now I think Guilty is probably the only one with any TMA background overall here.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Edit: Ligur - I suggested it to the instructor! But I liked some of his ideas too, and you know...he was running the class and all. Don't worry, next time he's up, I'll make sure we do it before/after class.

Finding a video for exactly what I'm trying to show has proven fruitless so far. But I'll take a crack at an attempt for better explanation.

Correct. Picture a boxer standing in front of his opponent with his left foot pointed forward and his right foot off to an angle for those super strong right punches being driven by a rotation of the right foot. Now, picture a second opponent who is parallel to the angle of the boxers right foot. Imagine this second opponent drives in low and strong, collecting the legs (either picking them up as you said) or simply driving force at a downward angle. The angle of attack for this motion should be about a foot to a foot and a half behind where the angles of the boxers feet would converge.

The situation gets much worse if the second attacker is behind the boxer (I don't mean to pick on boxing, but it's an easily pictured stance). If that second attacker is perpendicular to the angle of the right foot it becomes much easier to collect the legs and take the opponent to the ground.

My god, I'm explaining this horribly! Also remember that the reason krav students are taught this way is because there is no sport application of krav maga. The moment class is over and the Bas Rutten fight club starts and you're fighting a single opponent again the stance is much more sensible and more what everyone is used to.

Maybe this will help more. Stand with both of your feet about shoulder width apart on the balls of your feet. Imagine someone pushes you from behind and you step forward with your left foot to catch yourself. At this point you should be quite lose with both knees bent. Your right heel should be off the ground with all ten toes pointed forward. Movement is all shuffling from here with no crossing hemispheres with your feet. This simply puts you in an easier to grasp position to defend yourself from multiple attackers.

As someone who did various flavors of karate, tae kwan do and aikido before krav, the stance has been the most difficult thing for me to grasp and I still find myself constantly correcting myself which is probably why I'm having such a difficult time explaining it.

Punches: You rotate your right foot some, just not as exaggerated as you would in other martial arts, but most of the power in this will come from rotating your hip and shoulders.

Kicks: There are a couple of basic kicks that all work from this position. There is the groin kick which will be your right foot starting back behind you, being cocked by bringing your knee up, then leaning back (moving your chest to be more parallel to the ceiling) and snapping your foot out and back. The same basic mechanics apply no matter where the target is straight on. But in krav there are really only a few targets. Groin, stomach and that big rear end nerve on your thigh.

For the nerve on the thigh, this is an overly complicated kick because of the stance you're in! You will start it like a front kick but then rotate your hips over so the power is actually a downward motion. The strike is going down as opposed to what most would picture a more roundhouse kick being; the angle of attack being moving in parallel to the floor.

That's a lot of words, but maybe it'll help some.

After I wrote all that, let me suggest watching the episode of "Human Weapon" about krav maga. the full episode is on YouTube. While they don't talk about a lot of this, if you're looking for it, you can see some of what I'm talking about pretty clearly throughout the episode. That will probably show it a lot better then I can type it!

krav maga is gay as hell. lmao

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I am always wary of mentioning I practice Aikido online, because it usually produces the wrong kind of response, but I will here, in the interest of diversity.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
having one foot pointing outward at a slight angle is going to make no discernible difference in this hypothetical situation where multiple opponents are shooting single/double legs on you from improbable angles. if you don't want to get taken down you should practice a grappling art that gives you an actual base and balance instead of something where takedowns are called "collecting legs"

mewse
May 2, 2006

HATE MONDAYS posted:

having one foot pointing outward at a slight angle is going to make no discernible difference in this hypothetical situation where multiple opponents are shooting single/double legs on you from improbable angles. if you don't want to get taken down you should practice a grappling art that gives you an actual base and balance instead of something where takedowns are called "collecting legs"

how am i supposed to shuffle around and avoid leg collections if my legs are at an angle, smart guy???

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
I used to practice FMA for about 2 years but stopped after falling out with my instructor. My buddy had been doing ninpo for about 5 years and invited me to train at his dojo, so I've been doing that for about a year now. As with Zalmoxes, I'm always wary of mentioning to people that I practice ninjutsu.

I mentioned before that the previous A/T MA thread sparked me to get into judo. After 3 months of training, I earned my yellow belt and I'm quite excited about it. Judo is awesome. :)

Dr. Miracle posted:

One thing I am worried about, though, is my ears. Most of the more experienced guys have pretty bad cauliflowering, and it's something I'd rather avoid given my profession. Can anyone here recommend some headgear? I have no idea about this stuff and I don't know if there's a particular type that's better for BJJ or something.

Avoiding cauli ear really depends on your sensitivity - my buddy got cauliflowers in the first month of judo while people in the dojo have been working for years to get them. We got the adidas adistrike earguards and they've been holding up pretty well. They are pretty low profile and so far no one has complained to him about them while rolling. When I was researching online on what headgear to get, I found that Cliff Keen is very popular for grapplers due to it's low profile (less susceptible to getting head locked) and soft plastic (easier on your training partner). Hope that helps a bit.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 19, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dirp posted:

How do I deal with someone who is really loving good at catching jabs and immediately throwing a cross back? One of my instructors can do this at will and it pretty much completely eliminates my left hand.

I understand this happening if your coach is physically faster and bigger than you and you guys are doing a drill where you have to lead with a jab and aren't allowed other techniques.

But in sparring, you have a million different ways to address this. If I'm slower and have less reach than my opponent, I will never let him land his counter. Either I'll close in right behind my jab and force a clinch, or I'll slip and follow with a lead leg kick to take the juice off his counter cross. Or I'll mix it up with a really low-level jab to the body once he's already zeroed in on my jab telegraph (whatever it is). Obviously I'll still get caught, but at least be really active in trying to avoid it.

Yeah, you should be trying to improve the jab itself, but think in terms of everything you have available to you. If you're trying to walk this guy down and jab him without the next step ready, of course you're gonna get countered all day.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
kid, you've turned into a winning fiend, right? i've got a few questions, but no pms...you cool with giving me gear advice here or in the w&w thread?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Paul Pot posted:

kid, you've turned into a winning fiend, right? i've got a few questions, but no pms...you cool with giving me gear advice here or in the w&w thread?

Here's fine. Kimbo is also knowledgeable on their headgears too.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Bangkero posted:

After 3 months of training, I earned my yellow belt
I've been emasculated.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

I've been emasculated.

I wouldn't worry. After three months I had my green from winning a couple novice tournaments. Different clubs promote differently. Belt colors mean nothing in the long run.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

Nierbo posted:

I've been emasculated.
Oh, I still get my rear end handed to me every class. To be honest, it came as sort of a surprise as I wasn't expecting to grade anytime soon. And I still don't feel crisp with the throws but my teacher said that the mistakes I made were more important for him once I'm grading at orange. I definitely felt better with my breakfalls and newaza techniques. Overall I just feel good that my instructors were keeping tabs on my progression cause it's hard for me to do so as a scrub. :)

Thoguh posted:

I wouldn't worry. After three months I had my green from winning a couple novice tournaments. Different clubs promote differently. Belt colors mean nothing in the long run.

Totally agree. As someone said here, belts are for holding your pants up. :) We go by Judo Ontario grading requirements. But still, green in 3 months makes me feel emasculated after thinking back to what I've endured in that time frame!

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Nierbo posted:

Disclaimer:I've never studied outside of my current system, these are mostly views on why more "karate" people don't post.

First, it kind of depends on your definition of karate. I don't know too much about it, other than it has its roots in Okinawa. So strictly speaking a lot of people don't do karate for the same reason a lot of people don't speak Okinawan.

If you're going with the larger "stand up, largely empty-handed combat system from the far east which is not TKD" definition, the bolded portions are what I'm responding to.

I study Kenpo and have been for 17 years. It's mostly a stand-up striking/joint-lock art. I've pursued it as a hobby and for self-defense, never had much interest in competition. If someone asks what that's like my general response is "like karate" because almost everyone has some vague idea of what that means (see above).

I realize it's probably not intentional, but a lot of the negative attitude towards non-grappling is coming through a bit in the post. You mention liking the mental preparation aspect, but you're not talking about mystical things or kata. Mystical can be tossed out (No ch'i wizards) but kata is part of that mental and physical development, depending on how it's practiced. It's kind of like saying, "I like the mental calmness and focus that comes with meditation, but I don't think you should practice meditation to achieve that."

You then say you know it might not be the most practical self-defense system (why not? Why is grappling considered more effective?) and then go on to say that a proper karate black belt could drop some of the less useful kicks and pick up at a kickboxing gym to avoid feeling like they just wasted the last five years. Which, taken together, reads like "Why don't they go study a real martial art? :smug:"

In general, there seem to be two really strong trends in martial arts right now, at least in the US.
1)TKD
2)MMA
This leads to a lot of people wondering "well, why doesn't everyone study <my totally ultimate martial art> instead of what they're studying?" when, as someone put it earlier in the thread it tends to go more along the lines of this:
practicioner>training method>style.

The end result of all this is that Karate is seen as uncool and ineffective, because if it were not those two things more people would be practicing it right?
Right :rolleyes:

Note: Some of those criticisms are totally valid if you're talking super-traditional karate which is largely impractical by today's standards in kind of the same way that a cell phone from the 80's or 90's is impractical by today's standards.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

the yellow dart posted:

The old thread used to have a number of kung-fu, karate, etc. practitioners who posted relatively often. They were pretty good at understanding their art and why they did it (see: not deadly samurais) and Kyokushin is pretty well respected around here in any case. Now I think Guilty is probably the only one with any TMA background overall here.

I used to do Japanese Jiu-Jitsu while I was in Undergrad. 4 years later, I even got a brown belt in it.

It was...something, anyway. No sparring, two step kata kind of stuff. Lots of rules and respect.

It and the mindset it has is vastly different from BJJ. It's not nearly as cool as gay pajama hugging, let me tell you.

EDIT: It taught me how to breakfall amazingly well, I'll give it that. That's super useful in and of itself, so it has that going for it.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I guess my tone came across wrong. I really do like karate and was hoping to bring some more karate guys out from the woodwork and have them post and I was hoping to see some of the things they come across in training and what questions they would ask each other and what problems befall karate students and a karate dojo that wouldnt even cross my mind usually. So first, thanks for posting. I love the MA thread the livlier it is.

I don't have a negative attitude toward 'non grappling' even if my post indicated that. I used to do boxing and kickboxing and found them very physically rewarding but I never seemed to fall in love with it like my friends did with karate so I find it interesting as to what aspects people love so much and I was hoping to find out what tips can they share about mental preparation or other things that they picked up unique to karate that they would never bother teaching us at boxing. I wasn't even thinking about grappling when I wrote my post, I was more comparing it in my mind to kick/boxing. I have no interest in saying any martial art is better than another, I just like learning and I find googling things very boring, I'd much rather read a nice personable post on here (see Ligur's posts). I'm actually pro karate and like I said in my original post, I do like certain aspects and wonder about other aspects.

It looks you seem to think kata is a big part of the mental development and without it, they'd be missing out. Thats the sort of stuff I was interested in finding out, and what are the reasons for it helping.

Buried Alive posted:

You then say you know it might not be the most practical self-defense system (why not? Why is grappling considered more effective?) and then go on to say that a proper karate black belt could drop some of the less useful kicks and pick up at a kickboxing gym to avoid feeling like they just wasted the last five years. Which, taken together, reads like "Why don't they go study a real martial art?"
Now that I read it back I see how it sounded, but what I meant to say was that if a karate guy started doing kickboxing, he wouldnt feel like he wasted the past 5 years because if he went to a decent place, he would have learnt a lot and physically and mentally improved himself greatly, especially after 5 years. Similarly, if a kickboxer started karate, he would have to drop some non karate approved stuff and pick up some other stuff. The comparison could have gone either way really, but I put it that way because kickboxing is considered by many to be very practical with what it uses and I assume more often than not, more practical than karate which is what I currently believe. But I'd love to hear stories of my thoughts being wrong and/or right or anywhere in between as that makes for a great thread.

I thought it was a great shame to not have any karate guys posting regularly and I honestly wasn't trying to sound smug. Like when I tried a hapkido class (with bits of TKD chucked in) some of the stuff was great, I liked how traditional the atmosphere was was, the sensei spoke for a while before the start of class to get us in the zone which is totally the opposite of the kickboxing gym I went to so I found that interesting. Then there was a few things we practiced that I wasn't a fan of, like the crescent kick. The thread stagnates from time to time so I thought we could have some discussion like that.

If you check my post history you'll see I'm open minded and humble and happy to learn and like hearing about other peoples experiences, but do I see how my post sounded now.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 20, 2011

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
You'Re not really open minded and humble tho, I remember in the last thread you were like "my silly gf wants to do tkd :rolleyes:"

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

niethan posted:

You'Re not really open minded and humble tho, I remember in the last thread you were like "my silly gf wants to do tkd :rolleyes:"
And that was the perfect chance to discuss whether I was right or wrong, which you all did and I learnt from it and we all had fun.

VV Cmon niethan, stop being a grumpy pants all the time. If I knew everything, I wouldn't be on here making an rear end of myself now would I?

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 20, 2011

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Cool.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Now that I read it back I see how it sounded, but what I meant to say was that if a karate guy started doing kickboxing, he wouldnt feel like he wasted the past 5 years because if he went to a decent place, he would have learnt a lot and physically and mentally improved himself greatly, especially after 5 years. Similarly, if a kickboxer started karate, he would have to drop some non karate approved stuff and pick up some other stuff. The comparison could have gone either way really, but I put it that way because kickboxing is considered by many to be very practical with what it uses and I assume more often than not, more practical than karate which is what I currently believe. But I'd love to hear stories of my thoughts being wrong and/or right or anywhere in between as that makes for a great thread.

There are rulesets where karate and kickboxing can both be applied with very little disadvantage to either "style." The only karatekas who'd have wasted their time fighting under these rules are those who never sparred and learned how to fight in the first place. There is a prevalent attitude in this thread that a lot of people who've done karate suffered because they never really got taught how to fight. Karate would be equally practical as long as it was practiced in real fighting situations.

Here's a sport karate fighter in an amateur Muay Thai rules fight (I recorded this at an event a gymmate was fighting at):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0ukqFAp4jU
He's obviously effective because he trains to fight. What comes across about his karate style are:
- speed on the feet. He's controlling distance entirely by reacting quickly to the other fighter's attempts to change change.
- kick speed and versatility
- bitchin American kickboxing pants
Obviously he also has enough crosstraining to handle the clinch, which of course is necessary to compete in Thai-rules matches.

Here's some more commentary on applying karate fighting strategy/philosophy to MMA. Obviously not a complete picture, but I think it helps figure out how karate technique can be relevant under a more open ruleset.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/4/5/1387681/bloody-elbow-judo-chop-katsunori
http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Budos-Best-Katsunori-Kikuno-24879

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/5/29/892467/bloody-elbow-judo-chop-the-karate

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KidDynamite posted:

Here's fine. Kimbo is also knowledgeable on their headgears too.

i believe top ten makes the best headgear for kickboxing/mt, so i'm not in the market for that.

anyway, i'm thinking about getting 10oz winning gloves for sparring. good/bad idea? keep in mind i'm only 170lbs and almost everyone in our gym uses 12 or 14oz gloves for regular sparring (full speed jab, every thing else around 70%). i guess what i wanna know is whether they're significantly gentler for the face/brain of your sparring partner or just nicer for your own hands/wrists compared to other gloves?

what do you think about using competition size gloves in sparring in general? i feel like i get too used to the size of 14oz gloves, which leads to unnecessary shots getting through my guard in competition. i would still practice with heavier gloves on the bag.

last question, how do lace up gloves work in practice? at least around here, i've never seen anyone with a pair. i always thought they were impossible to take on/off quickly (needed for padwork), but i read you can have them tied moderately tight and slip in and out. apparently they still offer better wrist support than velcro this way...i read this on sherdog, so i definitely want a 2nd opinion.

thanks man

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Nierbo posted:

And that was the perfect chance to discuss whether I was right or wrong, which you all did and I learnt from it and we all had fun.

VV Cmon niethan, stop being a grumpy pants all the time. If I knew everything, I wouldn't be on here making an rear end of myself now would I?

No seriously, the thing is, stop defending yourself. Sometimes people give you criticism (in martial arts, but martial arts = life) and you should just nod and accept it. Not try to justify your behaviour in regards to that comment. Your cup is full and you refuse to empty it, to paraphrase a 'famous' (Tao) concept used in many Martial Arts.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I feel like Karate schools just aren't as obvious as TKD schools (at least here), but don't really know why. I suspect TKD gained a lot from being an Olympic sport for a while (especially because of that random girl who won Gold at Sydney 2000, we were lapping up anyone who won medals at home). Karate schools certainly exist - I competed against a bunch of Karate guys in this all-styles comp (Form/Point Sparring) I went in last year (I was doing Kung Fu). It may also be that I notice TKD schools because I did TKD for ages and notice BJJ/Judo/etc. schools because this thread loves them (and I've been looking for a place to perhaps try one out when I get the chance) but never notice Karate because no one talks about it.

For what its worth, I did TKD right through highschool and have no regrets about that - I had fun, kept fit, went in a few competitions, got the chance to teach what I had learned to others, etc.. I'd probably take it up again if my style had a club within easy public transport. I did Kung Fu for about a year more recently and also enjoyed that - it was a lot more varied than TKD (many more techniques taught faster and not nearly as straightforward) and had an excellent instructor. To me there isn't really any appeal in a full-contact striking art (though, as above, slowly this thread is convincing me that it'd be worth trying some grappling), I'm more into learning the techniques, doing form/point sparring/board breaking/etc., staying somewhat fit, meeting people, that type of thing. Not everyone does martial arts to be Good At Fighting (I have the utmost respect however for people that do [provided they reciprocate], and as little patience as anyone regarding eg. lethal ninjas).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Paul Pot posted:

i believe top ten makes the best headgear for kickboxing/mt, so i'm not in the market for that.

Are you talking about this brand?
http://www.sharkwearsports.com/top-ten-head-gear-c-25.html
That doesn't seem right. Even the store brands from CSI and Title look better than that.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Paul Pot posted:

anyway, i'm thinking about getting 10oz winning gloves for sparring. good/bad idea? keep in mind i'm only 170lbs and almost everyone in our gym uses 12 or 14oz gloves for regular sparring (full speed jab, every thing else around 70%). i guess what i wanna know is whether they're significantly gentler for the face/brain of your sparring partner or just nicer for your own hands/wrists compared to other gloves?

what do you think about using competition size gloves in sparring in general? i feel like i get too used to the size of 14oz gloves, which leads to unnecessary shots getting through my guard in competition. i would still practice with heavier gloves on the bag.

last question, how do lace up gloves work in practice? at least around here, i've never seen anyone with a pair. i always thought they were impossible to take on/off quickly (needed for padwork), but i read you can have them tied moderately tight and slip in and out. apparently they still offer better wrist support than velcro this way...i read this on sherdog, so i definitely want a 2nd opinion.

thanks man

If you want to use competition size gloves in sparring Winning is not your brand as they run larger than any other brand. They will definitely protect your hands as I used to have lots of problems with my hands before I got my Winnings. It's a novel idea to use smaller gloves for sparring to get you used to the lesser defense but it's better to work on your head movement and footwork to get you away from your opponents strikes.

Also the top ten headgear if kimbo linked the right one looks like TKD headgear. Which means to me good for getting kicked in the head but not punched in the face.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jun 20, 2011

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Syphilis Fish posted:

Your cup is full and you refuse to empty it, to paraphrase a 'famous' (Tao) concept used in many Martial Arts.
I hate to argue on here especially over something so silly as a personal comment made about me, but your just plain wrong with that statement. Despite everything I heard and read about tkd and so few people were defending it, I still went to a class to check it out. As far as I'm concerned thats the very definition of open minded and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who wouldn't agree with that.

On another note, I passed grading tonight at Judo. As I'm not a member of the IJF, I don't actually get the belt or have it registered at HQ, but I get it as soon as I pony up the registration money. Thanks to everyone that has helped me on here and answered my silly questions over the past 7 months, specifically xguard, thoguh and colliwog. And even Syphilis Fish sometimes too. And tarepanda :D I really had some muscle memory on some of the throws and didn't have to think at all in terms of steps and I put them together fluidly. Its only yellow but its nice to have taken the first step.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think everyone respects karate again since Lyoto Machida smashed his way up the UFC ladder. Even if Shogun kind of humiliated him later, Machida showed that there was nothing wrong with the martial art, it was just the lovely way it's usually taught. I mean, he crosstrained a shitload obviously, but he showed that he could stand and strike with boxers and muay thai guys and pick them apart with pure karate. If someone does the same thing with TKD, it'll have my respect too.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

kimbo posted:

Karate would be equally practical as long as it was practiced in real fighting situations.
Now this is more like it.
Those were great links kimbo. I absolutely love that sort of breakdown. From the gif's on the bloodyelbow page, it seems like I've learnt a completely different crescent kick.
Your friend had incredible evasive speed and that is beautiful to watch when it is paired with his aggression. The other guy wasn't even holding a candle to him in terms of landing kicks. He was really reading him well. I envy that ability, aswell as those fast reflexes.

foolish_fool posted:

Karate schools certainly exist - I competed against a bunch of Karate guys in this all-styles comp (Form/Point Sparring) I went in last year (I was doing Kung Fu).
That sounds sweet as. Can you detail your success or failure there? What sort of Kung Fu by the way?

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I think everyone respects karate again since Lyoto Machida smashed his way up the UFC ladder. Even if Shogun kind of humiliated him later, Machida showed that there was nothing wrong with the martial art, it was just the lovely way it's usually taught. I mean, he crosstrained a shitload obviously, but he showed that he could stand and strike with boxers and muay thai guys and pick them apart with pure karate. If someone does the same thing with TKD, it'll have my respect too.
Its an interesting concept to have a less popular striking type so that your opponent will have much less experience against someone of that style and as much as people berated that evasiveness it was, for me, great to watch someone not take any damage and utilise things that others hadn't really been training for. Hasn't worked out recently though :(

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 20, 2011

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
All Rounder Meguru updated! Three new chapters! :neckbeard:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It's too bad Machida's Dad didn't have a brother so they both could have a million sons and cousins. We could get a local branch of Machida-do in every city.

Grr8
Mar 22, 2006
a'blocka bla'kow
BJJHQ has a sweet one day deal on Manto Gi's right now. If you guys don't know about the site, they have some pretty good stuff.

I'm really tempted but I hear Manto's run big and so I'm nervous about what size to get. 5 10" 155 is usually a A2 but I've read forum posts recommending A1s for people my size too. I got a Padilla recently and loved it but its shrunk so much I can't use it anymore, so I'm trying to avoid any more GI issues.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KidDynamite posted:

If you want to use competition size gloves in sparring Winning is not your brand as they run larger than any other brand. They will definitely protect your hands as I used to have lots of problems with my hands before I got my Winnings. It's a novel idea to use smaller gloves for sparring to get you used to the lesser defense but it's better to work on your head movement and footwork to get you away from your opponents strikes.

Also the top ten headgear if kimbo linked the right one looks like TKD headgear. Which means to me good for getting kicked in the head but not punched in the face.

trust me guys, top ten uses some special weird material that's extremely shock absorbent even if it looks cheap&homo. really sleek footprint, doesn't move, great absorption, covers all areas. i think they've been used in the last 3 boxing olympics because they're so protective. i got the avantgarde model and it's leaps better than everlast/thai stuff. winnings don't protect the entire head, so that wouldn't be an option for me. i'm sure they're the best headgear for pure boxing, tho.

you haven't answered the lace-up question, I REALLY NEED TO KNOW :>

cleto reyes safetec would be a (perhaps smaller) alternative to winning, but they're only available as lace-ups.

i'm obviously working on head movement and footwork as well, i just believe using smaller gloves would make me more aware of small openings i'm leaving (never been knocked down or dazed from a strike to the head, so my defense is pretty good already). 10oz sparring gloves wouldn't be an option for heavier guys, but even in fights, i knock opponents down with accurate shots, and not because i punch particularly powerful at 6'2 170lbs ;/. in muay thai (even in the dutch style i'm practicing) it's desirable to block punches in more situations than in boxing, but i can understand where you're coming from.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I've been punching through Twins gloves lately at an alarming speed. The first pair held up for quite a while but the second was just annihilated and the third is getting pummeled.

I have a pair of Fairtex 14 oz and SDI 16 oz for sparring only (sponsored "almost free" piece of equipment this one), the Fairtex gloves feel really small and get through easily, the SDI gloves have a nice padding in the palm/wrist area so you can use them as sort of pads but maybe I should change brand or something.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Paul Pot posted:

trust me guys, top ten uses some special weird material that's extremely shock absorbent even if it looks cheap&homo. really sleek footprint, doesn't move, great absorption, covers all areas. i think they've been used in the last 3 boxing olympics because they're so protective. i got the avantgarde model and it's leaps better than everlast/thai stuff. winnings don't protect the entire head, so that wouldn't be an option for me. i'm sure they're the best headgear for pure boxing, tho.

you haven't answered the lace-up question, I REALLY NEED TO KNOW :>

cleto reyes safetec would be a (perhaps smaller) alternative to winning, but they're only available as lace-ups.

i'm obviously working on head movement and footwork as well, i just believe using smaller gloves would make me more aware of small openings i'm leaving (never been knocked down or dazed from a strike to the head, so my defense is pretty good already). 10oz sparring gloves wouldn't be an option for heavier guys, but even in fights, i knock opponents down with accurate shots, and not because i punch particularly powerful at 6'2 170lbs ;/. in muay thai (even in the dutch style i'm practicing) it's desirable to block punches in more situations than in boxing, but i can understand where you're coming from.

I prefer lace ups. I don't think there's any way to keep them tied and slip them on and off though. I used Reyes with velcro for a while and yes the ease of slipping them on and being able to put them on yourself is useful but the wrist support is lacking. Besides that's what your coach is there for to get you prepped for sparring and yell at you.

Not sure about what advice to give you if you want to block more as it would probably be bad for Muay Thai.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Machida's striking is in no way "pure karate", though. Like, not even close. Karate-influenced, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Paul Pot posted:

i got the avantgarde model and it's leaps better than everlast/thai stuff. winnings don't protect the entire head, so that wouldn't be an option for me. i'm sure they're the best headgear for pure boxing, tho.

Imo, no headgear is gonna do much of a job absorbing a well placed shin on the ear. The best you can do is have your guard up and pad it with gloves if it comes down to it.

You're certainly right, boxing headgear have padding concentrated on the forehead and cheeks, since that's where you should be getting hit if you're defending yourself properly. Kickboxing headgear padding seems more evenly spread, but not by much.

I'm not sure how much weight should be put on any org's choice of gear (especially one as spotty as the Olympic Boxing commission). The UFC uses Century for its gloves, and those are pretty much the worst. I mean sure they might put effort into gloves for fight events, but quality is obviously a huge range.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I mean, he crosstrained a shitload obviously, but he showed that he could stand and strike with boxers and muay thai guys and pick them apart with pure karate. If someone does the same thing with TKD, it'll have my respect too.

John Makdessi is in the UFC, and doing well. I'd say his style is more rounded than Machida's, but there's still plenty of TKD showing through. Here's a really bad highlight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVADoE18Yaw
And to prove he can still flash in the UFC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv7lfIBYanw

• Locked thread