Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

toxicsunset posted:

I have never had a problem with fog even once. My poo poo only fogs when I'm sitting on the bench, as soon as I step out on the ice it clears up immediately

My visor does the same thing. It fogs up slightly on the bench but when I get back on the ice it clears up.

Does anyone know where to get those towels that nhl players use on the bench to wipe down their helmets/visors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
[nerd]I wear glasses while I play, they fog like crazy.. any suggestions?[/nerd]

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

poser posted:

[nerd]I wear glasses while I play, they fog like crazy.. any suggestions?[/nerd]

Contacts?

I don't see many guys wearing glasses. Maybe sport goggle things?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Thufir posted:

Contacts?

I don't see many guys wearing glasses. Maybe sport goggle things?

I wear the sport goggle things but mine are old and big so they fog. I guess I just need to spend the money on a new pair and see if that works.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

poser posted:

I wear the sport goggle things but mine are old and big so they fog. I guess I just need to spend the money on a new pair and see if that works.

Try rubbing the lenses with some hair conditioner before your game. It's a known home remedy for keeping visors clear on the ice.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

zinc68 posted:

Try rubbing the lenses with some hair conditioner before your game. It's a known home remedy for keeping visors clear on the ice.

Somehow, Pledge works too. No idea why, but reffing it was the #1 alternate method for visor defogging.

For refs, visors fogging up is a much bigger issue as you're often standing around in a situation where the visor WILL fog up (particularly Linesman), so you see a lot of visor defoggers being attempted and used.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:siren: Mission: Accomplished :siren:

eBay posted:

It's all yours, now you just need to pay.

I ended up sending the dude a picture of my jersey and asked if it would match (:gay:) and he said yes.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Minister Robathan posted:

Somehow, Pledge works too. No idea why, but reffing it was the #1 alternate method for visor defogging.

For refs, visors fogging up is a much bigger issue as you're often standing around in a situation where the visor WILL fog up (particularly Linesman), so you see a lot of visor defoggers being attempted and used.

My guess is that it has something to do with the oil in both. Probably creates a thin layer of protection or something.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Toothpaste is the best!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

D C posted:

Toothpaste is the best!

I thought the baking soda/ingredients in tooth paste actually contain a small abrasive which would eventually cloud or dull your visor over time? I could be completely wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, toothpaste definitely has an abrasive in it. It's extremely fine though.. you can use it to smooth out scratches on a CD.

So it probably will wear down a visor, but it'll take an extremely long time.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

poser posted:

I wear mine on the ice and they literally never fog so I dunno what to tell you. Not even on the bench when my visor fogs up.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Verman posted:

I thought the baking soda/ingredients in tooth paste actually contain a small abrasive which would eventually cloud or dull your visor over time? I could be completely wrong.

I usually have to buy a new visor every year or so anyway due to scratches and scuffs anyway.

I dont really have a fogging issue either.

The last visor i bought had some sort of sticky poo poo all on the inside, spent weeks trying to rub it off and it would just get covered in tiny towel lints, finally went at it with a cleaning wipe and got it off this week.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

D C posted:

I usually have to buy a new visor every year or so anyway due to scratches and scuffs anyway.

I dont really have a fogging issue either.

The last visor i bought had some sort of sticky poo poo all on the inside, spent weeks trying to rub it off and it would just get covered in tiny towel lints, finally went at it with a cleaning wipe and got it off this week.

I usually just kept it clean, the cleaner my shield was (before I wore a cage) the less foggy it would get. Then again, I never got exceptionally foggy visors anyway. With my cycling glasses, I notice they fog if I leave them on top of my head without moving, but once air starts moving, they clear right up.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

poser posted:

The socks were $5 for used and $10 for new. Pants were $80 regardless of the condition so I went with a new pair instead of Pavs tore up pair. My roomamte scored a pair of pretty new skates for $110. Only thing I did not get that I wanted was an extra pair of gloves.

Did you have to show up early to this to make sure you got a good selection? I wanted to go this year, but was out of town that weekend.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

robcat posted:

Did you have to show up early to this to make sure you got a good selection? I wanted to go this year, but was out of town that weekend.

I showed up at 8 am and it started at 10,we were about 10-14th in line. The guy who was 3rd showed up at 5:45 am! and was still 3rd.

E: Selection kinda sucked because of assholes like this

Got in on Wednesday

poser fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 17, 2011

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION
What do you guys know about the current lineup of Easton skates? I've got ultra lite pros I bought 6 or 7 years ago and I love them, I've only been using them intensively and playing league hockey for about a year but they still feel pretty solid.

From what I find online about current Easton skates they seem to be known for falling apart pretty quickly. I'm only really sticking to them cos most of my first gear was Easton but I imagine the skates have changed significantly over the last decade. Are they still worth getting or should I migrate to a different brand skate?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They better not fall apart quickly, because I just bought a pair last month. :colbert:

I don't really have much to say about them, other than they fit my foot well and seem the most comfy for the price range (I got the EQ40's).

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Today at Adult public skate some old guy said I'm improving every week he sees me there :) And then gave me some tips on how to stop!

Breakin in the new skates nicely, now onto my next purchase, a helmet!

I think I will be going with a full cage. Every cool bro bone in my body says get a visor, but I'd rather be cool 95% of the day with my face looking nice and my eye sight being good than be cool 100% of the time and then get a puck in my face and look like a troll. :)

And yeah, visibility doesn't come into the equation for me when it comes to my purchase hahahha.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Second hatty of the season today :toot:

We get to play the all-ringer team tomorrow too :toot:

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
You can try using a cigarette butt to keep the visor from fogging. It works pretty well, but, cigarettes are kind of expensive now to be used for that :bahgawd:

I am getting into broomball and I can't wait to look like a moron out there because of my hillbilly rear end collection of protective gear. Lacrosse helmet, d-man armpads (useless except for elbowing people) goalie gloves and catcher shinguards. With that being said, are there any broomballers here? Interested to see how much hockey stuff translates.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

You can try using a cigarette butt to keep the visor from fogging. It works pretty well, but, cigarettes are kind of expensive now to be used for that :bahgawd:

Wait, what? How would you use a cigarette butt to keep a visor from fogging?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Gio posted:

Wait, what? How would you use a cigarette butt to keep a visor from fogging?

Rub the butt against it after you smoke it, I guess it's whatever gives you cancer because that would make sense.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

gently caress i shouldn't have quit

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
yeah I used to use it on goggles, it only left some residue/smearage but it worked like a champ for a few hours.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
Lost our first game of the season 3-2 tonight. I got hit in the dome piece with a puck, which was pretty cool. Cool because it gave me faith in my helmet because I honestly didn't even feel it.

I was a -1 with 0 shots on goal though. I DID have a 2 on 0 break happening where my teammate went offsides while I carried the puck in but thats about as close to scoring as I came.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
I have back to back games on Sunday, any suggestions for good between games?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

poser posted:

Drink

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

poser posted:

I've heard pizza is a go-to but I get queasy even thinking about eating pizza minutes before getting on the ice. I'd personally go with an orange or something like that but I've always felt like my hydration level was always the biggest difference maker in how long I can skate at a decent level.

Or one of those gel-packs that runners use.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

gigabitnokie posted:

I've heard pizza is a go-to but I get queasy even thinking about eating pizza minutes before getting on the ice. I'd personally go with an orange or something like that but I've always felt like my hydration level was always the biggest difference maker in how long I can skate at a decent level.

Or one of those gel-packs that runners use.

Yeah I usually stick with something relatively light between games on the same day, if I even eat at all. Just drink a lot of water, regardless.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

A banana and sudafed.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Not sure if this holds true for visors but what if you spit on the inside then rinse it off with water? Maybe that only works for swim goggles I'm not sure.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Topoisomerase posted:

Yeah I usually stick with something relatively light between games on the same day, if I even eat at all. Just drink a lot of water, regardless.
water with 'lytes and sugar (eg gatorade).

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

poser posted:

This is my go-to when I'm skating and I don't want to load up on food. The only sugars come from fruits and it's got soy and whey proteins. You have to like tropical fruits though.

I have a question: Is lace bite just a generic term for any time your laces are too tight, or is it something specific? About a month or so ago I swapped out to some wax laces and things went okay for a bit, but after about two weeks of skating with them I got a swollen spot on the front of my ankle, like an inflamed tendon or something. Since the only variable that changed was the laces, I swapped out the wax laces for my old ones, but now it happens every time I skate. I always put my shin guard on the outside of the skate tongue and I don't generally do the laces really tight around my ankle. Has anyone ever dealt with anything similar?

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Sometimes you can get a spot on your foot that swells up one time, then keeps itself going for a long time. I have a spot on the back of my foot that likes to swell up, causing it to be more irritated the next time I skate, causing it to swell up.

No idea about lace bite.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I have a question: Is lace bite just a generic term for any time your laces are too tight, or is it something specific? About a month or so ago I swapped out to some wax laces and things went okay for a bit, but after about two weeks of skating with them I got a swollen spot on the front of my ankle, like an inflamed tendon or something. Since the only variable that changed was the laces, I swapped out the wax laces for my old ones, but now it happens every time I skate. I always put my shin guard on the outside of the skate tongue and I don't generally do the laces really tight around my ankle. Has anyone ever dealt with anything similar?

I get that if I lace too tight on the middle eyelets. I like to lace as tight as possible through the bottom 3 eyelets, taut but not tight through the middle, and then tight on the top two. I guess it's also possible the bottom of your shinguard is digging into your ankle.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Yes, this is lace bite. And it can come from something very minor inflaming the tendon, which then requires a gently caress-ton (the technical term) of time to heal. I went through roughly the same thing as you about a year ago. I injured the tendon somehow, and from then on I couldn't lace up without pain in the top set of eyelets.

Here's the fix: Bunga Pads. I can't recommend these enough for helping lace bite.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Dangerllama posted:

Here's the fix: Bunga Pads. I can't recommend these enough for helping lace bite.

Thanks for this. I'm definitely going to give these a shot. Did you do anything else for it when you were off the ice, like icing the tendon or anything? Or is it just a matter of letting the healing process do its thing?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Chemmy posted:

A banana and sudafed.

A banana, a redbull, and ephedrine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Dangerllama posted:

Yes, this is lace bite. And it can come from something very minor inflaming the tendon, which then requires a gently caress-ton (the technical term) of time to heal. I went through roughly the same thing as you about a year ago. I injured the tendon somehow, and from then on I couldn't lace up without pain in the top set of eyelets.

I get something worse with my TotalOnes... its like Ankle burns. On the front of the ankle bone on both feet gets rubbed bleeding raw almost every time I skate, then it will stop for a while, long enough for it to heal and then out of nowhere, more blood and pain, I cant for the loving life of me figure out what is causing it, I've started to use big extra strength bandaids preemptively over where it happens but it still hurts.

Same size as the last 3 pairs of my top level Bauers, Supreme 8090, Vapor XXXX, and the TotalOnes are all 10EE, and the last pair is the only Bauer skate thats given me any sort of discomfort.