Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!

Cracker Jack posted:

Let it be known that I'm 24, no kids, so this is probably the reason they couldn't get it in.

Do you remember the name of that cervical softening medicine? I'm your age, same situation, and terribly afraid of the pain/nausea/assorted weird feelings.

I don't have a GP, so I go to a walk-in clinic whenever I need something. The doctors there are usually so busy that they'll give you what you ask for if you come in already knowing what you want...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Do you remember the name of that cervical softening medicine? I'm your age, same situation, and terribly afraid of the pain/nausea/assorted weird feelings.

I don't have a GP, so I go to a walk-in clinic whenever I need something. The doctors there are usually so busy that they'll give you what you ask for if you come in already knowing what you want...

Misoprostol. Can't remember the first dosage, but it was a single oral pill. The one my GP gave me recently is a vaginal suppository. 2 - 200 mcg tablets that you shove up by your cervix. You can also let them dissolve in your mouth but she said it would taste awful. Hope that helps!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm 23 with no kids. It just randomly depends. I also scheduled my appointment for when I had my period (which made my period last like 2 weeks but what ev. Diva cup is the bomb)

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Lanthanum posted:

heeeelp
Concerning your hair loss, how bad is it? Hair sort of "cycles" and you'll lose a lot of hair sometimes and barely at all other times.

But if you are completely fed up with the bleeding (I'd have given up long before 3 months) I say get it taken out.:(

As for the ring, I have one "risk day" the night that I put the ring in, after the off week. On that day I'll either be violently ill (easily avoidable by not eating late that night), feel crappy all day, or be just fine. It seems dependent on how much sleep I get that night. Luckily if that risk day falls on an important date, I can simply leave in the ring in up to an extra week. :)

Other than that, I love it. I like having a physical thing reassuring that yes, my birth control is there and working. I've never had it fall out, I've been using it for 4 years. I've never stacked rings, and I had very light BTB when I tried out keeping the ring in for 4 weeks instead of 3.

hth~

1337 haxxor pirate
Apr 25, 2011
Well, I took Planned Parenthood's birth control quiz and my only result was sterilization. :v: I'm nineteen and have had no childrens, this isn't an option for me. Hormones ruined me, so I'm considering a copper IUD sort of deal but am terrified about the risks. Any ladies willing to share stories about the procedure/effectiveness of this birth control?

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009

Bloody Mayhem posted:

I go to a clinic for under-25's as well. I get the feeling that the one I go to is just dead-set on tossing pills at us. I think I'm going to go back this week though and really ask firmly for an IUD. I just hate being on a hormonal option, and as it turns out that I've had multiple fibroadenomas pop up while on this stuff. :sigh: I wish I could just get snipped.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

1337 haxxor pirate posted:

Well, I took Planned Parenthood's birth control quiz and my only result was sterilization. :v: I'm nineteen and have had no childrens, this isn't an option for me. Hormones ruined me, so I'm considering a copper IUD sort of deal but am terrified about the risks. Any ladies willing to share stories about the procedure/effectiveness of this birth control?

Copper IUDs aren't for everyone, but they're great for who they do work for. If you have bad/heavy/painful periods normally, a copper IUD will make it worse. While it might not be a deal breaker, it's definitely something to be aware of.

And just wondering, how many/which hormonal birth controls have you tried? Sometimes one can be TERRIBLE and another will be The Best Thing Ever.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande

1337 haxxor pirate posted:

I'm one year into my IUD. I have average periods, and the first three months after getting it was floodsville. Then it began to taper off and now it's pretty much normal again with the occasional day of 'wow'.
It's a 'pinchy' feeling getting it put in and you cramp for a day or two after, but it's nothing that advil liquigels won't fix. From what I've seen it's not for people that have low pain tolerance or get squeamish easily/grossed out by their own bodies.
The worry free sex at any time rocks.

lou reed
Aug 20, 2005

How is babby made?
I really like my copper IUD. I haven't had it too long, but I am starting to notice my periods starting to shorten/lighten up. It's an adjustment, though. My menstrual cramps are the same but the week or so before my period I'll get really short but very intense twinges of pain. It's like nothing/BOOM/oooow/over.

Question for those of you with Paragards: do you ever get pelvic pain? I get weird pains that I'm certain are cervix-specific. It's not horrible but it's not super infrequent either. Is this normal?

Cracker Jack
May 8, 2007

lou reed posted:

I really like my copper IUD. I haven't had it too long, but I am starting to notice my periods starting to shorten/lighten up. It's an adjustment, though. My menstrual cramps are the same but the week or so before my period I'll get really short but very intense twinges of pain. It's like nothing/BOOM/oooow/over.

Question for those of you with Paragards: do you ever get pelvic pain? I get weird pains that I'm certain are cervix-specific. It's not horrible but it's not super infrequent either. Is this normal?

After I got my paragard I noticed more cervical pain, even after having it for 2 years. I still occasionally get twinges even after having it removed 4 months ago.

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.

Kerfuffle posted:

Concerning your hair loss, how bad is it? Hair sort of "cycles" and you'll lose a lot of hair sometimes and barely at all other times.

But if you are completely fed up with the bleeding (I'd have given up long before 3 months) I say get it taken out.:(

As for the ring, I have one "risk day" the night that I put the ring in, after the off week. On that day I'll either be violently ill (easily avoidable by not eating late that night), feel crappy all day, or be just fine. It seems dependent on how much sleep I get that night. Luckily if that risk day falls on an important date, I can simply leave in the ring in up to an extra week. :)

Other than that, I love it. I like having a physical thing reassuring that yes, my birth control is there and working. I've never had it fall out, I've been using it for 4 years. I've never stacked rings, and I had very light BTB when I tried out keeping the ring in for 4 weeks instead of 3.

hth~

Ive never really had noticble hair loss apart from the norm, mostly in the shower, hairbrushing, etc, but now its ridiculous. I find hair all over my desk at work, in my bed.. everywhere. I can also tell I have much less from how thick my ponytail feels. :( I really like my hair, I dont want it to fall out anymore! This started about a month after I got my implanon in and its the only thing that has change in my life that I can think of.

Thanks for experience and things about the ring. It def helped. I would have liked to get the implanon out sooner, but PP said that there was no reason for me to get it out, other than bleeding, and I should wait longer. Im just a bit worried becuase its not a small about of blood, its equvalent to a moderate/heavyISH flow for my period and I'm a weeeeeee bit concerned about possibly being anemic. Maybe I should try a different clinic.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

miss_chaos
Apr 7, 2006
Finally went off the pill when I finished my last packet, and immediately I stopped being a pimply psychopath with anxiety attacks and weeping fits.

Back to Family Planning this week for new options. Sigh.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Does anyone know of a reliable website to buy Contempo Bareback condoms (or a similar make/brand) in packs of larger than three? Condom Country is defunct and Condomania does not offer it. I love ultra thins and I am a rather well endowed guy, but I am open to suggestions.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Oh my gooood, so glad to be back on my pill. I'd forgotten just how crazy heavy my periods were, and hell I swear they were even heavier than normal (brought this up with doctor, non-issue apparently). So many near disasters... Scratch my 'annoying trickle' comment; it's all relative.

Also turns out I'm close to becoming anemic (not really a surprise :v:) so I think I'll skip having a bleed until I finish off the iron supplements I was prescribed today, which should be three months from now. Or would that be too long to wait, considering I've just finished one bleed?

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Pyrotoad posted:

Oh my gooood, so glad to be back on my pill. I'd forgotten just how crazy heavy my periods were, and hell I swear they were even heavier than normal (brought this up with doctor, non-issue apparently). So many near disasters... Scratch my 'annoying trickle' comment; it's all relative.

Also turns out I'm close to becoming anemic (not really a surprise :v:) so I think I'll skip having a bleed until I finish off the iron supplements I was prescribed today, which should be three months from now. Or would that be too long to wait, considering I've just finished one bleed?

Women can use birth control (think Depo) to postpone their periods for years without any detrimental side effects.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

fork bomb posted:

Women can use birth control (think Depo) to postpone their periods for years without any detrimental side effects.

That said, you may spot anyway because uteruses do what they want.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
Yeah, I've learned that I magically end up spotting every 3 months if I skip my period. :sigh:

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I just wanted to let those who requested it know that I sent out an e-mail yesterday about my use of St. John's Wort. I only got a response from Geolicious I think (which I haven't gotten a chance to read yet, but I will...I have limited internet time and I waste far too much of it on the forums ;)) but I wanted to make sure it didn't get lost in anyone's spam filters. Let me know if you need it re-sent, I'm on foal watch tonight so I'll probably be online all night.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream
I probably shouldn't be googling the net, but I'm going to be switching from the nuvaring (6 year use?) to the Paragard next week and starting to be a nervous nelly about it. I'm going to miss having no period, but I'm looking forward to not having to pay for, or remember birth control, and having no added hormones!

Many people on the web seem to have experienced a pretty sizable weight gain (7-15lbs) with paragard, centering on the stomach area. I'm sure it's mostly water weight, but I was looking forward to losing some weight! Has anyone had this experience?

Also, I'm debating whether or not to have my boyfriend drive me. I deal with pain pretty well and am only a few miles away so I think I can handle it. Worse case, he can come pick me up and I guess I'll get my car later.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Lixer posted:

Many people on the web seem to have experienced a pretty sizable weight gain (7-15lbs) with paragard, centering on the stomach area. I'm sure it's mostly water weight, but I was looking forward to losing some weight! Has anyone had this experience?

Uhh...

Weight gain isn't a side effect of copper IUDs. Ever. Anyone who gains weight on Paragard has only lifestyle changes to blame, or possibly a side effect of coming off of another form of birth control. (E.g. if a hormonal birth control was making them nauseous, or the change/drop in hormones caused bloating (like bloating that can happen around your period)

Bagleworm fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 17, 2011

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

Bagleworm posted:

Uhh...

Weight gain isn't a side effect of copper IUDs. Ever. Anyone who gains weight on Paragard has only lifestyle changes to blame, or possibly a side effect of coming off of another form of birth control. (E.g. if a hormonal birth control was making them nauseous so they stopped eating as much)

That's what I thought too, but there were more people who've had the exact same experience than I'm comfortable brushing off as being wrong. Some even reported back as losing the weight the month after they had it removed. I think that this could be a viable side effect for some people.

http://www.topix.com/forum/health/birth-control/TPJ6JN7FDCJOTQN53
http://iud-divas.livejournal.com/1311314.html
http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/women/water-weight-paragard-iud

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Lixer posted:

I probably shouldn't be googling the net, but I'm going to be switching from the nuvaring (6 year use?) to the Paragard next week and starting to be a nervous nelly about it. I'm going to miss having no period, but I'm looking forward to not having to pay for, or remember birth control, and having no added hormones!

Also, I'm debating whether or not to have my boyfriend drive me. I deal with pain pretty well and am only a few miles away so I think I can handle it. Worse case, he can come pick me up and I guess I'll get my car later.

I sort of noticed weight gain, maybe, although I'd categorize it more as a shift in where I perceived my weight to be, which did center around my belly. I also think it was more due to changed eating habits; I was on an all you can eat meal plan with the dorm at my law school, so I was eating more than when I cook for myself. I got the Paragard back in October. I've noticed it seems to be dropping now, but it was also only a 5 lb gain or so.

Sorry if this is a jumble, posting from my phone so it's difficult to make rearranging edits.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
For some reason this is something I never even thought would be an issue, but I'm on the patch and it's totally leaving this gunky, BandAid-like adhesive residue on my skin. It's really hard to get off, because the adhesive on these fuckers is designed to stay on you for a solid week without falling off so that poo poo really sticks. So it totally makes sense that this would happen, but it's also gross, and I don't know how to get rid of it. Someone told me to use nail polish remover but is that seriously safe for my skin?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Try oil of some sort. That generally works for me when I get residue from bandaids.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Lixer posted:

I also switched directly from nuvaring to paragard. I'm finally actually losing weight. I would have your BF drive you. I have an extremely high tolerance for pain but it wasn't so much pain for me as it was a weirdly nauseating experience.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Budget Bears posted:

For some reason this is something I never even thought would be an issue, but I'm on the patch and it's totally leaving this gunky, BandAid-like adhesive residue on my skin. It's really hard to get off, because the adhesive on these fuckers is designed to stay on you for a solid week without falling off so that poo poo really sticks. So it totally makes sense that this would happen, but it's also gross, and I don't know how to get rid of it. Someone told me to use nail polish remover but is that seriously safe for my skin?

I've used nail polish remover on my skin a few times (it's good for taking off hair dye stains) and it's never caused any problems for me. I've had similar luck with toners/astringents like Sea Breeze. In both cases you probably do want to rinse off after but it's never bothered my skin.

And this is coming from someone whose skin is so touchy I can't even use things made for it like Nair (or the patch incidentally).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Nail polish remover might make the area dryer, but it shouldn't cause a field of breakouts or anything. I would go for it and just follow up with moisturizer.

Goo Gone, on the other hand, is probably a bad idea...

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Rubbing alcohol would work in the same way as nail polish remover, perhaps without as many added chemicals 'n' stuff. Fun fact: both can remove Sharpie from non-porous surfaces.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
Used nailpolish remover, burned like hell. I guess the area was already a little irritated from the patch and the nailpolish remover made it hurt. :( I'll try rubbing alcohol next time.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

I'd second Fire in the Disco's suggestion about oil. Get a drop of baby oil, or even just olive or canola on your finger and rub it in circles on the sticky stuff. It'll make that lovely combination of sticky stuff and grime ball up and wipe away easily.

Innovative Salad
Jun 18, 2003

That's President Tandi to you.

Lixer posted:

I had the opposite experience going from Mirena to Paragard last year. I tend to feel less hungry, different people keep telling me I look skinnier all of a sudden, and my clothes do fit differently. Like Bagleworm said, a nonhormonal IUD has no direct way of causing weight gain that we know of, but I imagine there could be all sorts of factors at work here - for example, some women who get serious cramping and periods may exercise less and/or eat differently because of it.

Lixer posted:

If you have a willing and available ride, do make use of it. You'll probably be absolutely fine very quickly - after getting my various IUDs, I took public transport home twice and drove myself back to work once, none the worse for wear - but that way you don't have to worry about it. And having someone around for hugs and reassurance isn't the worst thing in the world after a medical procedure. :)

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
What is the normal amount of time to have spotting or any kind of bleeding with birth control?
I've been on NuvaRing for about a year now, and when I was diagnosed with endometriosis back in March, my doctor prescribed me a second oral birth control (Jolivette) to end my periods and hopefully delay the endo from coming back. Well blah blah lots of problems blah endo pain worse than before surgery blah. That's all being taken care of, but my issue now is, I have been having a disgusting, stringy, brown bloody discharge, such as what you would get after your period, pretty heavily for about a month now. It's pretty heavy, almost like a normal period, but it's brown, stringy, and nasty. Every single time I sit down on the toilet, I have a rush of the fluid come out, along with dozens of little stringy clots.
I haven't had a period since February and I'm pretty diligent about taking the Jolivette at the same time every day. There have been days where I've ended up taking it either early or late, because work gets their panties in a bunch when I'm standing at the register popping pills. I usually take it at or within 10 minutes of 6:30pm every day.

I am tired of having to wear a panty liner every single day and it's messing up having sex with my boyfriend.
Is it normal to have .. whatever this is, for this long?

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

silversiren posted:

What is the normal amount of time to have spotting or any kind of bleeding with birth control?

This is actually pretty common for women who skip their periods for many months in a row. At some point your uterus can just go, "THAT'S ENOUGH! I'M HAVING A PERIOD!" and the only way to fix the breakthrough bleeding is to take a placebo week or wait it out. I don't know if you are able to take a placebo/period week since you're skipping periods for a medical reason, so it would be something to talk to your doctor about.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

Nail polish remover might make the area dryer, but it shouldn't cause a field of breakouts or anything. I would go for it and just follow up with moisturizer.

Goo Gone, on the other hand, is probably a bad idea...

I have totally used Goo Gone on my body and lived to tell the tale. Hey, at least it smells good.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(
I love alcohol hand sanitizer as it really gets rid of goo quick :)

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
this is probably going to be super tmi but I don't think boys read this thread.

Nuva and its 'not staying put' issue ticked me off so I took it out on Friday and left it out. One weird thing I noticed when I kept trying to put it in/put it back was that the inside of my vagina felt... swollen (best way I can describe it). I don't know if that's noteworthy or me just looking for a reason it wouldn't stay.

Anyway, my actual question. This morning I woke up with a full fledged period. I already had one this month on my 'off week' but this one is in full force just half a day in. I'm having the most terrible cramps/lightheadedness, 10x worse than the period a week or so ago. I also passed a clot that was like size of a quarter which kind of freaked me out. This is normal right? I haven't been off BC since I was 18 so I kind of want to see how my body reacts to not having hormones put in me. I'm not having sex, nor planning to in the near future, so pregnancy isn't a worry. If I do have sex for some reason, I am well stocked in condoms. No babby in my hoo hah :colbert:

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
Sorry if this has been asked before. Would a Nuvaring prevent a guy from being able to hit the cervix?

When I was on the pill earlier this year it made me seriously depressed, so I'm thinking about other options now and the ring seems best, but the answer to this question concerns me.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Namirsolo posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before. Would a Nuvaring prevent a guy from being able to hit the cervix?

When I was on the pill earlier this year it made me seriously depressed, so I'm thinking about other options now and the ring seems best, but the answer to this question concerns me.

No, the Nuva Ring is fairly large in diameter (like, not in a scary way, but larger than a penis) and it's just a thin ring so there's not like a cap or anything. It's been awhile since I've used it but I remember it didn't affect sex at all, except that my husband could feel it while fingering me and it kind of weirded him out at first (he couldn't feel it with his penis, though). (What was someone saying about TMI?) Also, if it does interfere with sex I believe you can remove it as long as you don't keep it out too long, but don't quote me on that.

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

Hi all,
I am 24 years old and on year four of my Mirena. This year I have lost a considerable amount of weight without changing much of my lifestyle. My acne has also cleared up. When I gained the weight, it was because of depo provera which I was on throughout high school. I haven't had any periods, just random spotting a few times a year. My question is: could the weight loss/clear skin be a sign the progesterone is wearing off? If it is, should I be concerned about babies or will it still work because theres a thing in my vadge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

Namirsolo posted:

When having sex with my boyfriend with the nuvaring in, he said he couldn't feel it. But certain positions were, I think, pushing the ring up into my cervix and it HURT a LOT! I tried to avoid taking it out because several times I fell asleep without putting it back in.

• Locked thread