Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Can of Cloud posted:

I re-watched the last 2 episodes. gently caress. I feel so bad for Ronnie. He did not deserve it. No way. Vic should have pressed harder for full immunity for Ronnie when he got his after the wife/arrest debacle. I understand why Vic immediately went to get his full immunity and immunity for Corrine, but he should have pressed harder for Ronnie at that point. It's a shame. And even at that, we (most of us) still love Vic Mackey.

Well it made the ending even more painful for Vic as character since throughout all the seasons he goes on about the strike team being a family/the importance of being loyal to people even when mistakes are made but in the end sells people out for a immunity deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!
Actually. Ronnie got exactly what he deserved. It just seems way worse since Vic didn't get even close to what he deserved. My favorite tv show ever, but I can't see how anyone would love Vic Mackey by the end of the Shield.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I burned through 6,5 seasons in about a month and every episode gets harder to watch, knowing it will soon run out.

What's most remarkable is the strength of all the characters. So many are played by well known TV actors, you would normally go 'Hey it's ....' and adjust your expectations accordingly. But here every character is so part of the story first and foremost, what they do and how they do it comes from there and not something you associate with a certain actor. Both Anthony Anderson and Franka Potente were terrifying in a way completely unrelated to what they had done before.

Season 6 seemed weird like both 5 and 7 were shortened by 3 episodes to create this season which just hangs between the two. Having Kavanagh appear for just two episodes and Diro for the last few ones and not coming back in 7 felt off in a show that takes such care to let things in the past affect the present.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

CeeJee posted:

Season 6 seemed weird like both 5 and 7 were shortened by 3 episodes to create this season which just hangs between the two. Having Kavanagh appear for just two episodes and Diro for the last few ones and not coming back in 7 felt off in a show that takes such care to let things in the past affect the present.

I believe that Seasons 5 and 6 were initially planned to be a single season but for various scheduling reasons and other stuff the writers split it into two slightly shorter seasons.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Finally got around to watching the first episode of this. Please tell me I will never have to listen to Kid Rock ever again.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Finally got around to watching the first episode of this. Please tell me I will never have to listen to Kid Rock ever again.

If there's another time, I don't remember it. The show generally delivers with music selections.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

When'd they use Kid Rock?

Berkeloid
Apr 30, 2010

Drewsky posted:

When'd they use Kid Rock?

The raid where Vic shoots Terry.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Oh wow I never noticed that.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
The finale of the pilot is a bit of a stand-out for music. I love the Shield's occasional montages, but that one was a bit much to take. Wait for the season 1 finale or Cupid and Psycho to get a better feel for them.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I didn't mind the Kid Rock song, mostly because I didn't really notice or care that it was Kid Rock.

The best song was the one at the very end.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Johnny Cash's Hung my Head at the start of season 6 was fantasic. And Disarm, obviously.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Junkenstein posted:

And Disarm, obviously.

You don't even have to be a Pumpkins fan to feel :smithicide: during that whole part.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I think somewhere in the middle of Season 4 there was a nice close with Alice in Chain's Nutshell which I fully supported. I just started Season 5 and have to say 4 was my favorite so far. That one had some really powerful moments. Glenn Close was wonderful.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

My personal favorite is the end of Season 2 montage... especially the very end Mackey's face going from excited to somber like the rest of the gang when he realizes everything sets in

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Fans of Walt Goggins should know that Predators is worth wading through just to catch a him jumping on a Predator and stabbing it with a prison shiv yelling "die you alien human being". This was the unexpected fun movie moment of the year for me.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

TUS posted:

My personal favorite is the end of Season 2 montage... especially the very end Mackey's face going from excited to somber like the rest of the gang when he realizes everything sets in

This is the best season-ending montage for me, with the Strike Team staring at the money all 'what the gently caress', Julian laying on his front yard beaten half to death... gently caress man, goosebumps EVERY time. Perfect song selection too.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjisv0hDl-c (season 2 spoilers obviously)

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 21, 2011

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Its funny to thing that action is what caused the downfall of the Strike Team. As that lead to Lems guilt and the split of the strike team. Which lead to Shane getting into bed with Anton and that lead to Lems death.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Just finished Season 3. Holy gently caress was the fight between Vic and Shane intense. People say it gets better than this and I'm not sure if I could handle that poo poo.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

CortezFantastic posted:

Just finished Season 3. Holy gently caress was the fight between Vic and Shane intense. People say it gets better than this and I'm not sure if I could handle that poo poo.

It does and you will.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

rejutka posted:

It does and you will.

I wish I could watch the Shield all over again not knowing what happened. I remember watching the finale with my jaw on the ground the entire time. I can not image watching the pilot nonspoiled. That must have been such a what the gently caress moment.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

CortezFantastic posted:

cowboy up, you pussy

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

I'm rewatching this with my brother, he's never watched it. We're up to S5, gently caress yes.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Drewsky posted:

I'm rewatching this with my brother, he's never watched it. We're up to S5, gently caress yes.

Did he get really invested in the show?

You should film his reaction to the end of S5

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
No grown man wants his tears recorded. :smith:

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
Just watched the first episode of season 6. gently caress Kavanaugh so much. I was all happy when Vic hosed his wife and got under his skin and was glad it was done and this? I really hope Vic kills him because gently caress that evil prick

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.
I avoided this thread while binge watching The Shield over the last 2 weeks. I saw a few spoilers during S5/S6 due to Amazon instant video on demand having episode summaries so openly viewable.

So some random thoughts while everything's fresh in my head
(Finale spoilers)
Holy poo poo that was an amazing ride.

What I found so compelling was that for the first few seasons I really sympathized and sided with what Vic was doing. I mean weren't the streets better off with him controlling them via Rondell or T.O.? Compared to monsters like Armadillo. If you view drugs as a necessary evil then having them run via a guy like Vic is in the best interest of the city. The evil exists but it's confined and controlled.

Then Vic realizes he's starting to get in too deep and needs to get out. The easiest way to get out? Having a ton of cash via an anonymous robbery of the Money Train. The series did such a great job of showing how doing one dishonest thing to "get out" in turn lead to something Vic had to do to lead him even deeper.

As amazing as the "Confession" and "Finale" scenes were. I think my favorite scene of the entire show was when Ronnie asked Vic about just running away (this was during Season 7, don't remember the specific episode but on the surface it was a pretty throw-away scene). Giving it all up and just calling in sick to the barn and splitting. Vic talks him out of it promising just a few more days to get them both immunity. Ronnie gets burnt for not trusting his instincts.

To change the topic, and I'm sure this has been discussed before due to Shane's suicide note:
If Vic hadn't killed Terry in front of Shane, would Shane really have pulled the pin on Lem? What if it was Vic and Ronnie that had cleared that room/Ronnie watched it happen?

One last couple of opinions (consider them Finale spoilers)
I've read the interviews linked in this thread to the producers but I still feel like the show fell into a similar trap to 24. If you took 24 and cut out every side-plot and basically just made it Jack Bauer power hour. The show would have been better.

When you watch the finale it really showcases how little major characters like Julian, Aceveda, Dutch and Danny really meant. I liked all the characters but they really didn't mean a whole lot in The Rise and Fall of Vic Mackey (Aka The Shield). It was basically Dutch/Claudette doing "Murder of the week" while the main plot with Vic advanced.

Benito Martinez is a good actor but any relevance his character had after he left the barn was just a tie-in/HE MADE YOU SUCK?!. The finale never even took the time to show what ended up happening to him and the whole political angle of the show concluded with the "Robert Huggins" (Andre 3000) character making an appearance. The character remained well-written and well acted but it was never necessary.

Vic goes to put his pictures on his desk. His children and that cropped photo of him and Lem. Yet there's no picture of him + his kid with Danny. Did he forget or just not care? Maybe he was too far gone at that point.

All in all it's a great ride. Sorry if I've just said a bunch of things that have already been said or seemed like I'm sperging out.

Ghost Captain
Apr 22, 2008

I did it wit my lil hatchet

Mandoira posted:

I avoided this thread while binge watching The Shield over the last 2 weeks. I saw a few spoilers during S5/S6 due to Amazon instant video on demand having episode summaries so openly viewable.

So some random thoughts while everything's fresh in my head
(Finale spoilers)
Vic goes to put his pictures on his desk. His children and that cropped photo of him and Lem. Yet there's no picture of him + his kid with Danny. Did he forget or just not care? Maybe he was too far gone at that point.

I took that to mean that Lem was the only one who Vic hadn't destroyed his relationship with, aside from his kids. (ironically only because Lem died before he could).

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Did he get really invested in the show?

You should film his reaction to the end of S5

Yeah, it's great watching his reactions. After the finale of S4, with Glen Close's line to Mackey about taking care of himself, my brother said, "Man I have a feeling something bad is gonna happen."

Oh yeah, sooo much bad is gonna happen.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I'm 2/3 through Season 5 and it's some of the most intense stuff I've seen. This show makes it so hard to choose how to feel about someone.

Pilot episode spoiler:
I don't know how to feel about Vic after his killing Terry. I start to side with him, then remember that (as is evident in S5) and it feels a bit out of place for me since it was coldblooded murder of an innocent guy although he did so to protect the team and the circumstance was right.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
"Eating ain't cheating" is the greatest line ever said and it almost made me not hate Shane when I was re-watching season 3.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

ack! posted:

I'm 2/3 through Season 5 and it's some of the most intense stuff I've seen. This show makes it so hard to choose how to feel about someone.

Pilot episode spoiler:
I don't know how to feel about Vic after his killing Terry. I start to side with him, then remember that (as is evident in S5) and it feels a bit out of place for me since it was coldblooded murder of an innocent guy although he did so to protect the team and the circumstance was right.

However as this show makes it clear The team where criminals and the circumstances where he lead him into a situation that he could be murder. It was not justified at all.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

However as this show makes it clear The team where criminals and the circumstances where he lead him into a situation that he could be murder. It was not justified at all.

Yeah, that's how it is and that scene established just what he is. What's hard is how they give you just enough to start liking folks. Then you realize they're not so likable. I guess I'm so used to seeing Good Guy vrs Bad Guy. There's so much gray in these shows it completely changes that perspective which has saturated story telling for so long.

It shows how great the writing is. Dutch has turned out to be a favorite although i can't forgive him for the cat strangling.

Maybe this show and those like it are a better snapshot of humanity where things are so black and white and motivations vary (having watched The Wire, Dexter, Breaking Bad, Rescue Me, SoA...).

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

A line that I laughed my rear end off at while watching last night was when Lem in S5 was wired and is trying to get out of the room any time they talk about something criminal. "Man I must have ate something, this is the third time I've poo poo today."

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Been binging on the series for the first time over the last couple weeks. Just finished season 3, which was so incredible. As awful as Shane is and as irritatingly self-righteous as Lem was at the end, I think the character I want to see get their due is Aurora. Aceveda sucks but blaming him for what happened just made me want to vomit fire on her.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Jesus. My wife and I spent the last month binging through The Shield. My wife hated The Wire (I loved it), but she was completely sucked into the world presented by The Shield. Simply amazing. The ending was pitch perfect:

I'm sure some people feel as though Vic got away free and clear, but I like the idea of a boring office job with ICE, which Vic must do satisfactorily for three years, being a sort of prison for someone used to running the streets.

I found The Shield more entertaining than The Wire, but the world of the latter seemed more real to me. I think the world-building in The Shield was good, but in no way on par

My only problem is that this show ruined me for cop dramas. I mean where the hell do I go from here? Sons of Anarchy? Justified? Will they leave us just as satisfied.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rabid Koala posted:

My only problem is that this show ruined me for cop dramas. I mean where the hell do I go from here? Sons of Anarchy? Justified? Will they leave us just as satisfied.

Well, SoA isn't a cop drama, but is still quite good.

Have you been keeping up with Breaking Bad?

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, SoA isn't a cop drama, but is still quite good.

Have you been keeping up with Breaking Bad?

Ah. Yeah, we love Breaking Bad - easily the best show currently airing.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Rabid Koala posted:

Jesus. My wife and I spent the last month binging through The Shield. My wife hated The Wire (I loved it), but she was completely sucked into the world presented by The Shield. Simply amazing. The ending was pitch perfect:

I'm sure some people feel as though Vic got away free and clear, but I like the idea of a boring office job with ICE, which Vic must do satisfactorily for three years, being a sort of prison for someone used to running the streets.

I found The Shield more entertaining than The Wire, but the world of the latter seemed more real to me. I think the world-building in The Shield was good, but in no way on par

SoA, Justified and Breaking Bad will all give you some sort of Shield-esque fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Justified and Southland are both very good but very different. The plots are more character driven, and while there are exciting action moments in each, you tend to see more tension as opposed to explosion. Couple specific notes on each -

-Justified starts off a little slowly. Fantastic premiere that slows down a bit for a few decent self-contained criminals-of-the-week before you get to Long in the Tooth, the last of these and probably the best. After that, you'll still see random bad guys but the plot becomes more serialized (which plays to its benefit, really).

-Southland has a weird season 1 & 2 division due to the transition from NBC to TNT. You can consider the episodes part of the same season. You'll see elements of both The Wire and The Shield in here.

I'll add a third that wasn't mentioned, one you may not have seen already - Terriers. Basically it's a buddy private detective show that'll surprise the poo poo out of you.

• Locked thread