Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

allonblack posted:

* Pads(Ferodo 2500 or HP+)

neither of those. DS3000, CL RC5+ or CL RC6 /6E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Just be aware that this is the most frustrating mod to install. Of all time.

thealphabetsez posted:

I'm also unaware as to the actual effectiveness, but grimspeed has a master cylinder brace that could assist with some pedal feedback as there exist claims of firewall flex sans the brace.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

blargle posted:

Just be aware that this is the most frustrating mod to install. Of all time.
It is. And it didn't really do much for me.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Jamal, that was brilliant. I think I finally figured out what you meant. BITCH BOLTS AND SPROCKETS = REMOVED.

I guess it's more common for the bottom cam seals to leak, due to gravity. Both bottom ones have oil all over the place, whereas the top ones seem ok. I'll be replacing them all, of course, and any other seals. The only other seals to do while I'm in there are crank and oil pump, correct?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

neither of those. DS3000, CL RC5+ or CL RC6 /6E
Exactly, if you're going to buy a dedicated track pad, buy a dedicated track pad, not some street pad that can kind of handle the track.

I'm partial to the carbotech hp10s myself.
Does the STI have the rotor cracking issue that the LGT has (tracked legacy rotors will crack after about 6 track days)

nm fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 18, 2011

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask, I'm new to AI and couldn't find anything specific in the rules.

I'm needing new front struts (and I guess mounts too, unless I can reuse the OE ones?) on my 2000 Outback. Nothing fancy, just need to replace what appear to be the originals (at 220k!).

What's the consensus on the best (cheapest) place to find them online? Better yet, is there anywhere in/around the LA area that at least comes close to online prices? (I hate paying for shipping and would like these sooner rather than later.)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

What's the consensus on the best (cheapest) place to find them online? Better yet, is there anywhere in/around the LA area that at least comes close to online prices? (I hate paying for shipping and would like these sooner rather than later.)

KYBs are about $80 a piece.

I work at a shop in torrance. two, maybe three people in this thread will vouch for me.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Choadmaster posted:

Forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask, I'm new to AI and couldn't find anything specific in the rules.

I'm needing new front struts (and I guess mounts too, unless I can reuse the OE ones?) on my 2000 Outback. Nothing fancy, just need to replace what appear to be the originals (at 220k!).

I was able to get a full set of kyb gr2 struts for my saabaru from Amazon for about $250 shipped. Compared to $480 locally.

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

jamal posted:

I work at a shop in torrance. two, maybe three people in this thread will vouch for me.

He's also quick about sending stickers across the country, so that's got to count for something.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

nutnmunch posted:

He's also quick about sending stickers across the country, so that's got to count for something.

Confirmed. Got a wad of swag with my Whiteline order.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

jamal posted:

You mean $80 apiece from you? Awesome! Do you (or anyone here) think new mounts are necessary? The current ones seem fine - they look rusty, but they're solid and bearings seem to be okay (I don't see what else there is that could wear out anyway, but suspension stuff is not my forte). If so, what do you charge for those?

I don't live in LA, but I'll be in the area on Monday. I also need both front driver and passenger side hub/knuckle/spindle assemblies for my 2000 Outback so I'll be trawling some junkyards down there. Hell, if you have a recommendation for where to look, that'd be awesome too. You can PM me your location, if you like.

It's a rust-belt car, and when I went to replace the front axles and ball joints yesterday the whole thing turned out to be a rust-fused clusterfuck, plus the bearings turned out to be shot. The best thing I could think of was to replace the whole mess...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

You mean $80 apiece from you? Awesome! Do you (or anyone here) think new mounts are necessary? The current ones seem fine - they look rusty, but they're solid and bearings seem to be okay (I don't see what else there is that could wear out anyway, but suspension stuff is not my forte). If so, what do you charge for those?

I don't live in LA, but I'll be in the area on Monday. I also need both front driver and passenger side hub/knuckle/spindle assemblies for my 2000 Outback so I'll be trawling some junkyards down there. Hell, if you have a recommendation for where to look, that'd be awesome too. You can PM me your location, if you like.

It's a rust-belt car, and when I went to replace the front axles and ball joints yesterday the whole thing turned out to be a rust-fused clusterfuck, plus the bearings turned out to be shot. The best thing I could think of was to replace the whole mess...

on that note we have a GC that we're doing a 5x114.3 conversion so we'll have all the front uprights/bearings/hubs, balljoints etc off it if you're looking for that stuff.

I'll have to actually check with a couple distributors monday but struts seem to go for about 85 front and 65 rear. Doesn't hurt to replace the strut tops. I have some pretty low mile sti take offs of those in my garage too.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Well I took the transfer case off today, and the nut was loose, and the nut wasn't even staked. And all the parts are there.

I still have no idea where this is from Here's a hi-res shot of one of the shavings I found a few weeks ago. Any input? My original post is on page for reference.

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 19, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Well.... this is interesting. Took apart the passenger side AVCS system to check to see if it had the oil screens - and found the plug was rotten with water and dirt!

Hmmmmmmmmm...... not getting my hopes up but it is food for thought on this long standing problem

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
So my mom likes to drive out into the middle of California's desert to collect rocks. She currently has a 2003 Corolla, while she has proved that it can go to some places where corollas shouldn't be it is time for her to get a new vehicle, and she wants AWD. So Subaru it is. My understanding is that no matter what engine she gets it will be pretty reliable aside from some headgasket issues with the 2.5 NA of a few years back. Her budget is also 25-30k, so she can get a pretty new vehicle.

So tell me about the engines and transmissions available in the newer/est outbacks and foresters, and maybe tell me which you think is more capable or the one that you'd prefer. I believe both can have the 2.5NA, the forester can have the 2.5T and the outback can have the 3.6NA. This is going to have an automatic transmission and it is likely to be doing light offroad duty once or twice a month. Any comments on reliability and maintenance would be great since I will be the one maintaining this thing.

My instinct is to just look at the more powerful engine in each case, but feel free to let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The Outback also has a turbo option (Outback XT) which as far as I know is available in both manual and automatic. They no longer offer the Outback XT, just as they no longer offer the Forester XT with a manual transmission (automatic only as of 2009+).

The automatic transmission is basically identical between almost all of the AWD Subarus (including the Forester and Legacy). The 2010+ Legacy/Outback has a new CVT automatic which will also make its way into the 2012 Impreza when that comes out in August. The Forester will probably get it eventually as well, but I haven't heard if it will be for 2012.

Both the Forester and Outback have a nice ride height and a suitable amount of offroad durability from the factory; it's basically a wash as to what you'd prefer. The Forester is based on the Impreza, and the Outback is based on the Legacy, so finding used parts and aftermarket components (such as a reinforced skid plate/diff protectors) would be slightly easier on the Forester, I imagine. The Outback will have more cargo room.

The Outback has come with two kinds of 6-cylinder engine; the 3.0L H6 in 2001-2003ish (EZ30) and the newer 2010+ 3.6L H6 (3.6R/EG36) which I believe is an evolved version of the 3.3L H6 from the Tribeca.

The 2.5L NA head gasket issues were basically solved by 2004-ish but as always you should make sure that your pre-purchase inspection for a used car includes a leakdown and compression test.

If you've decided on buying new, have your mom drive pretty much every combination of engine and model and let her decide what she wants. The choice between the Forester and Outback is largely a matter of personal taste, and since she's offroading it less often than she's driving it on the street, a test drive should tell her which car is more liveable day to day.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

For what it is worth, we bought a new legacy 2.5 a week or so back with the CVT. (Can I keep my AI membership card? :ohdear: )

While I'm pretty skeptical of CVTs in general, I must say so far I'm pretty impressed. It's a different feeling but certainly does the job well. I'd personally take one over the old 4EAT no question. Also, those that have had them since late 09 aren't really reporting problems with them so I'm thinking longevity/reliability should be very good.

Interestingly, the CVT also manages to get better fuel economy than the manual box.. presumably because it can go taller and/or also keep the engine in a more fuel efficient rev.

I think an 2.5 Outback with a CVT would probably be a really good choice for her, but as ^^^ get her to test drive the combos that are out there that interest her.

Also, the new gen Outback (and Legacy) are incredibly roomy.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 19, 2011

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
Sounds good, thanks for a quick reply. We are going to hit carmax and whatever other dealers are in the area to test drive everything today.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Outback also has a turbo option (Outback XT) which as far as I know is available in both manual and automatic. They no longer offer the Outback XT, just as they no longer offer the Forester XT with a manual transmission (automatic only as of 2009+).

GG they know how to suck the fun out of cars, dont they? Forester XT with a manual is just absurd loads of giggle. But in Aust we still get manuals - but of all things the range topper S-Edition comes auto only so......

And in the will my car work or wont it, cleaning out and drying the AVCS plug has so far seen the car behave. But the test will be tonight.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

We love my wifes Forrester it is a very nice car and handles our kayaks and bikes no matter where we choose to go. I wish it was a manual but my wife is happy so who am I to argue.

A certified Subaru Forrester can be had for a nice price ..

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

jamal posted:

on that note we have a GC that we're doing a 5x114.3 conversion so we'll have all the front uprights/bearings/hubs, balljoints etc off it if you're looking for that stuff.

I'll have to actually check with a couple distributors monday but struts seem to go for about 85 front and 65 rear. Doesn't hurt to replace the strut tops. I have some pretty low mile sti take offs of those in my garage too.

I'm not swimming in money, so unless they're cheap I'll probably just stick with the current mounts. Will the stuff from the GC be compatible with my Outback? I know Subarus share a lot of parts... I'll check it out when I'm there, then. Can you PM me or send me an email at justamadeupaddress@yahoo.com and let me know where your shop is? I can be down there tomorrow morning, maybe around 9 or 10 AM. Would you be able to have the struts available in the AM?

Thanks man!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

slidebite posted:

I think an 2.5 Outback with a CVT would probably be a really good choice for her, but as ^^^ get her to test drive the combos that are out there that interest her.
I think a 2.5 CVT is basically the perfect mom-mobile outback.
Great fuel economy and while the engine won't win any races, it pulls just fine and works well with the CVT. It also will have less potential issues than the turbo. The turbo needs more care that the average person will give it and will be less reliable. And really, it isn't well matched to the 4-speed in the forester.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is the new subaru synthetic oil garbage? I switched to Rotella T6 this weekend and the engine practically purrs now. Maybe the heavier weight smooths out some of the weird noises these engines make.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

We love my wifes Forrester it is a very nice car and handles our kayaks and bikes no matter where we choose to go. I wish it was a manual but my wife is happy so who am I to argue.

A certified Subaru Forrester can be had for a nice price ..

My sister has an automatic 09 XT and I can say its actually a blast to drive. Haven't ridden in a new outback so I cant give my .02 there, but if she wants something extremely versatile its hard to beat a forester XT.

Edit:

blargle posted:

Is the new subaru synthetic oil garbage? I switched to Rotella T6 this weekend and the engine practically purrs now. Maybe the heavier weight smooths out some of the weird noises these engines make.

Am interested in this as well. I have been trying different oils with every change, and am now just back to using the SOA stuff. I will look into the Rotella oil for my next change.

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 20, 2011

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
Trip report:
Just drove a bunch of foresters and outbacks. Mom like the 2011 forester with the 2.5. My brother and I don't really fit well into anything with glass in the roof. The CVT in the outback doesn't feel that great with the NA at least, but overall I wasn't impressed with it. Foresters are pretty cheap brand new too and they just look 100% better with fog lights. They all rode pretty nicely, the 6 cylinder felt pretty good, we didn't find anything available with a turbo that didn't have a sunroof so we didn't drive that.

To clarify on the size thing I am 6'8 and my brother is 6'6 so Head room is needed and the forester offered the most.

Thanks for all of your help everyone.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

Trip report:
My brother and I don't really fit well into anything with glass in the roof.

To clarify on the size thing I am 6'8 and my brother is 6'6 so Head room is needed and the forester offered the most.

Largest Subaru we could afford.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

blargle posted:

The only motors that require the Subaru synthetic are the FB motors. (2011 Forester) The oil is 0W-20 full synthetic. Technically you void your warranty using any other oil if you have one of these engines. They also require a special filter with a bypass valve.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

Trip report:
Just drove a bunch of foresters and outbacks. Mom like the 2011 forester with the 2.5. My brother and I don't really fit well into anything with glass in the roof. The CVT in the outback doesn't feel that great with the NA at least, but overall I wasn't impressed with it. Foresters are pretty cheap brand new too and they just look 100% better with fog lights. They all rode pretty nicely, the 6 cylinder felt pretty good, we didn't find anything available with a turbo that didn't have a sunroof so we didn't drive that.

Thanks for all of your help everyone.

I'm 6'8 and I fit in a 02 WRX Wagon fine. Hell, it's pretty drat comfortable, but kinda a bitch to get out of.

Well anyway, I found out what those shavings I found were. There's a brace on the 3rd drive gear (the one on the main shaft) that prevents the gear selector sleeve from getting ground to bits. I guess when that 35mm nut got loose and everything shifted a bit and the 3rd driven gear ripped that brace to bits. Hmm, now that the tranny is off I could replace the clutch while I'm at it.

Here's a photo of said brace. By any chance does anyone know where I can get a 3rd gear? This isn't my photo by the way, my bearings certainly don't look like that.

CharlesM posted:

Sun and moonroof models have less headroom, in general.
\/ That is true. Much more poo poo to go in the roof. I forgot. \/

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 20, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PolishPandaBear posted:

I'm 6'8 and I fit in a 02 WRX Wagon fine. Hell, it's pretty drat comfortable, but kinda a bitch to get out of.

Sun and moonroof models have less headroom, in general.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

daslog posted:

The only motors that require the Subaru synthetic are the FB motors. (2011 Forester) The oil is 0W-20 full synthetic. Technically you void your warranty using any other oil if you have one of these engines. They also require a special filter with a bypass valve.

Incorrect. All 11+ turbos require 5w30 synthetic.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 20, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

GG they know how to suck the fun out of cars, dont they? Forester XT with a manual is just absurd loads of giggle. But in Aust we still get manuals - but of all things the range topper S-Edition comes auto only so......
An '04 Forester XT I drove was an absolute hoot. Do you guys get the 265bhp WRX? If so, does your 09+ Forester XT also have 265 bhp?

Our 08+ FXT is capped at 227bhp (same as the 2008 WRX).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

bull3964 posted:

And really, they all probably should. Modern small turbo motors have no business having dino oil. It doesn't respond well to heat and can be subject to coking. I suspect the whole banjo filter (or reduced OCI) thing the the LGT would be a non-issue if syn had been required from the get go as that filter was clogged with coked oil.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I highly recommend 5w40 synthetic for turbo cars. I put super fancy motul in my car but it's because we're a dealer so I get it at cost. Oil weight should really depend on how you're using the car. If you're tracking the car it's good idea to monitor oil pressure and temperature to determine the appropriate weight. We use 15w50 in the race car.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 20, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

I highly recommend 5w40 synthetic for turbo cars. I put super fancy motul in my car but it's because we're a dealer so I get it at cost. Oil weight should really depend on how you're using the car. If you're tracking the car it's good idea to monitor oil pressure and temperature to determine the appropriate weight. We use 15w50 in the race car.
Are you putting in the 300V or the 8100? Any used oil analysis on turbo motors for those that you've been privy to?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

8100 for regular oil changes, 300v for the race car. Have not bothered with oil analysis. I've spun a rod bearing twice now after doing that poo poo and extending my intervals out to ~7000 according to their recommendation.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

nm posted:

I think a 2.5 CVT is basically the perfect mom-mobile outback.
Great fuel economy and while the engine won't win any races, it pulls just fine and works well with the CVT. It also will have less potential issues than the turbo. The turbo needs more care that the average person will give it and will be less reliable. And really, it isn't well matched to the 4-speed in the forester.

I ended up getting the 3.6 Outback because it just pulls nicer than the 2.5, and it rides so posh due to the Legacy build. Driving the wife's Fit for mileage just rattles my teeth now because it's so rough in comparison.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

An '04 Forester XT I drove was an absolute hoot. Do you guys get the 265bhp WRX? If so, does your 09+ Forester XT also have 265 bhp?

Our 08+ FXT is capped at 227bhp (same as the 2008 WRX).

Well the 04 was certainly a good deal more than the quoted power of 210 hp - yep we get the 09 at 190isk Kw, the newer XT however certainly isnt that much now.

I still say the 04 XT was the single car where I never thought it needed more power. Christ almighty it's holeshot ability was unbelieveable. No wonder Subaru backed it off for the 05 and never made the XT as close to outright performance to the WRX again.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

It absolutely blows that the US does not have a Forester STI..

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Same here, only Japan gets it.

Who wouldnt have a Forester STI in a blink?

Edit : OKay, WRX ran without a sign of the problem tonight. That's a step forward at least

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

bull3964 posted:

I'll have to tell the Subaru tech. ;)

Edit: I just gave him some poo poo about his answer. He claims that he meant you have to use Subaru brand oil for the Foresters because you can't find the Subaru Forester oil anywhere else.

At any rate, the oil filter is more important so you don't dry sump your engine or something.

daslog fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jun 20, 2011