Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Untrustable posted:

So just a heads up, if you ever run into Noodlez18 rollin around in a tireless car. Leave him the gently caress alone.

Strange, that's the opposite reaction I had. Being chased by a dude in a helicopter sounds like a good time to me! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I love that a guy who's spent countless hours perfecting PvP devastation spends his time in a tireless car doing donuts.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Strange, after spending hours completing vanilla and TLAD, BOGT finally feels like a real GTA game. Still too many shooting and not enough driving missions for my taste but given how much the car chase AI sucks I can understand it. Was it ever that bad, it seems like the cops can barely drive around a corner without losing their suspect.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Untrustable posted:

So I have a GTA story from last nite.

My buddy and I were sitting around the house playing some multiplayer. I'm just hanging out in the airport shooting at guys with a sniper rifle and I see a guy driving a car with all 4 tires blown out, just doing donuts and everyone is ignoring him. I start shooting at him and hear someone screaming over the headset; "No! Don't shoot at him! Just leave him alone, don't kill him!" Well gently caress listening to that guy, so I shot the guy in the tireless car. It was the worst mistake of my multiplayer career. It turns out this guy is the best helicopter pilot in GTA history.
No matter where I went he would just kill me. I hid in the burger place, and the motherfucker hovered to the entrance and started firing. I mean this guy was deadly accurate with the machine guns on the helicopter. There was nowhere to hide. I started keeping track of how many times I was killed. By the time he left the game 3 hours later, I had been killed roughly 230 times. I had only killed him 3 times.

So just a heads up, if you ever run into Noodlez18 rollin around in a tireless car. Leave him the gently caress alone.

Hahaha holy poo poo, what system?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

That post makes me think we need to get together some sort of Goon presence in GTAIV. Admittedly, there's not much to do there except grief other players, but what the hell.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Mandrel posted:

That post makes me think we need to get together some sort of Goon presence in GTAIV. Admittedly, there's not much to do there except grief other players, but what the hell.
I've posted a lot about this in my GTA4 PC thread but if you guys haven't yet you need to play a game or two of "Team Mafiya Work" online. It's basically two or more teams fighting each other for missions, everyone gets a phonecall at the same time and you race to complete the mission first, killing the other team along the way. Most games will turn team blips on so that you can't see the other team on your radar and it's really a lot of fun. When I play too much and get bored Ill start getting creative with it, like taking a heli and parking it on a rooftop near the mission, where Ill protect (camp) until my team gets there.

My GFWL tag is "cage xx". Feel free to send an invite.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

bort posted:

I love that a guy who's spent countless hours perfecting PvP devastation spends his time in a tireless car doing donuts.
I'm certainly no threat in a helicopter but just about every time I play GTA4 (BoGT since it has parachutes) it's freemode and always ends up at the airport stunting. One of the most fun things is to get a fast car and shoot all 4 tires out and just go nuts trying to keep it under control.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

davebo posted:

I'm certainly no threat in a helicopter but just about every time I play GTA4 (BoGT since it has parachutes) it's freemode and always ends up at the airport stunting. One of the most fun things is to get a fast car and shoot all 4 tires out and just go nuts trying to keep it under control.

Freemode is probably my favourite thing about GTA IV/Episodes multiplayer. You can just get up to some really crazy poo poo, and having the option to record it all is just fantastic. Makes for some great "youtube" moments.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

davebo posted:

One of my favorite things is to shoot the tires out and throw stickies on each side a of the car and take a high speed trip. It's fun to see how far you cn get before the ai goes stupid and pile up in front of you.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Cage posted:

I've posted a lot about this in my GTA4 PC thread but if you guys haven't yet you need to play a game or two of "Team Mafiya Work" online. It's basically two or more teams fighting each other for missions, everyone gets a phonecall at the same time and you race to complete the mission first, killing the other team along the way. Most games will turn team blips on so that you can't see the other team on your radar and it's really a lot of fun. When I play too much and get bored Ill start getting creative with it, like taking a heli and parking it on a rooftop near the mission, where Ill protect (camp) until my team gets there.

My GFWL tag is "cage xx". Feel free to send an invite.

You don't have PMs, but my GFWL is aParadox (put here for others that may be skilled at training newbies). Recently got it from Amazon for PC- so is Team Mafia Work the first thing that a kbm player should begin their learning curve at?
I was orgasmically good in a heli on BF2, but in GTAIV? Nah-uh. But I'm getting there.. Definitely getting there.

Phangor
Apr 22, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Time for Lego City Stories to get the kids hooked on GTA gameplay before they can buy those big bad M rated games?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
So does GTAIV just run like poo poo for everyone?

I've got a 2500k at 4.8, 4G of ram and CFX 6970's running at 1920x1080, most of the time it'll run at like 70-90 fps, but some parts of the city just shoot down to 30fps.

I hate having my stupidly expensive computer brought to its knees by a 3 year old game.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
30 fps is pretty great man. I run it on all low settings, hitting 20-30 FPS and it's more then playable. Sometimes it drops to 10 or so for a moment, but nothing big. Everything around 30fps is playable, any higher is gravy. It probably has to do with physics calculations, and the game not really taking full advantage of the multiple cores, so the one core is the bottleneck which slows down the game.

Remember that a year ago, the game would only run above 20fps for certain configs, and for most people it was unplayable even at the lowest settings.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

blackmanjew posted:

I've got a 2500k at 4.8, 4G of ram and CFX 6970's running at 1920x1080, most of the time it'll run at like 70-90 fps, but some parts of the city just shoot down to 30fps.

I hate having my stupidly expensive computer brought to its knees by a 3 year old game.

Yeah, my computer is reasonably up to date yet can't handle it too well. My brother's does fine though. The game was poorly optimized on the PC, unfortunately.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

blackmanjew posted:

Have you completley patched the game? My versions of 4, and the episodes run drat near perfectly outside of a handful of texture hiccups here and there (and that might be mostly due to mods)

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Hahaha, I wish I got 30 FPS in GTA IV. I usually get around 22 at 1280 x 720 I think.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
My i7 920, 6gb, 8800gt 512mb system ran it just fine when it came out at medium textures at 1680x1050. I recently got a gtx 560, bumped it to 1920x1200 and high textures, raised some other sliders and it still runs great. I don't think I need to be getting over 40fps since my eyes can't see it. Frankly I prefer when games push the envelope so that I can't jack everything up the day it comes out. Then I have a reason to revisit them 2 years later when I get a better system. That being said, it was designed for consoles and poorly ported.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Samopsa posted:

30 fps is pretty great man. I run it on all low settings, hitting 20-30 FPS and it's more then playable. Sometimes it drops to 10 or so for a moment, but nothing big. Everything around 30fps is playable, any higher is gravy. It probably has to do with physics calculations, and the game not really taking full advantage of the multiple cores, so the one core is the bottleneck which slows down the game.

Remember that a year ago, the game would only run above 20fps for certain configs, and for most people it was unplayable even at the lowest settings.

I know 30fps should be fine, but I am an enormous baby who's brain freaks out when the FPS drops below 60fps :( I know that your eyes supposedly cannot see anything over 35-40fps, but I guess for some reason anything under 60fps to me doesn't come off as "smooth", but maybe I need to sell my machine and go the gently caress outside. I just find it hilarious that I run BC2 at 140FPS but this game struggles. It's still completely playable though. I was reading somewhere that it has to do with R* designing the shadow maps to scale with the resolution, which just causes everything to implode.

ddiddles fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 14, 2011

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I get 70fps if shadows are off, and about 35 when theyre on. That helps a lot.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

GTA4 has a weird port and it is also optimized for the 360's 3 cores..so yeah.
On top of that it is very hit and miss; my old C2D-3.0ghz 8800gt system ran it above 30fps on medium while I have friends with much better systems barely able to run it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

blackmanjew posted:

I know 30fps should be fine, but I am an enormous baby who's brain freaks out when the FPS drops below 60fps :( I know that your eyes supposedly cannot see anything over 35-40fps, but I guess for some reason anything under 60fps to me doesn't come off as "smooth", but maybe I need to sell my machine and go the gently caress outside.

Man I get like 150fps when I go outside, and everything is always in full HD! The physics are so accurate too. I just hate the parts when I have to go to work. What is this, The Sims?!

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
I love this game.
I don't even remember how this happened, forgot to put this up to my imgur account, just found it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So I am replaying Vice City and I just discovered that there's a counter for how many times you can consecutively bounce a beach ball on your head. Is there a reward if I do this enough times? I got it up to ten while playing. Its so cool that I've had the game for years and am still discovering new things in it.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jun 16, 2011

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

blackmanjew posted:

I5 with a 560ti and it runs perfectly. There is a small amount of lag when I first enter the world from loading a new game but then it's really smooth (highest settings).

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

So I am replaying Vice City and I just discovered that there's a counter for how many times you can consecutively bounce a beach ball on your head. Is there a reward if I do this enough times? I got it up to ten while playing. Its so cool that I've had the game for years and am still discovering new things in it.

Nope, Andreas had a whole minigame but it doesn't count towards 100% progress

bort
Mar 13, 2003

"I can't see more than 30 FPS" isn't true. Around 24 FPS simulates smooth motion, but depending on a variety of factors, your eye can detect much smaller increments than that (999 dark frames with one bright frame will be detectable, for example). It's not an illusion that 60 FPS in a video game looks better than 35 FPS.

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm
http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

Cray
Dec 3, 2010

bort posted:

"I can't see more than 30 FPS" isn't true. Around 24 FPS simulates smooth motion, but depending on a variety of factors, your eye can detect much smaller increments than that (999 dark frames with one bright frame will be detectable, for example). It's not an illusion that 60 FPS in a video game looks better than 35 FPS.

I think Carmack mentioned in an interview recently that they have been testing this during the development of Rage. Apparently most people notice the difference between 30 and 60 FPS, but almost no one can tell 60 from 120.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Cray posted:

I think Carmack mentioned in an interview recently that they have been testing this during the development of Rage. Apparently most people notice the difference between 30 and 60 FPS, but almost no one can tell 60 from 120.

I wonder if you get diminishing returns. Like obviously there's a huge difference between 15 and 30, but I imagine it's not as great as 30 to 45 or 45 to 60? When you're talking about the limits of your video card though, I'd most certainly prioritize draw distance or traffic density over a few more fps. Nothing ruins MY IMMERSION like pop-in.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's reasons like this that I wish I had a PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSNDGLNqe3U

It's San Andreas recreated in GTA IV...and it looks really good.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

I really want a HD remake of the GTA3 era games now; that looks amazing.

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!

blackmanjew posted:

I know 30fps should be fine, but I am an enormous baby who's brain freaks out when the FPS drops below 60fps :( I know that your eyes supposedly cannot see anything over 35-40fps, but I guess for some reason anything under 60fps to me doesn't come off as "smooth", but maybe I need to sell my machine and go the gently caress outside. I just find it hilarious that I run BC2 at 140FPS but this game struggles. It's still completely playable though. I was reading somewhere that it has to do with R* designing the shadow maps to scale with the resolution, which just causes everything to implode.

Cap your framerate. Changing wildly between framerates actually causes more visual lag. Going from 120fps to 60fps will actually look laggy even though both are pretty high.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Zedd posted:

I basically treat GTA IV as what GTA III would've looked like if the developers had the technology at the time. I'd LOVE to see Vice City remade... Those sandy beaches and box-shaped cars... would look beautiful!

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011

Zedd posted:

GTA4 has a weird port and it is also optimized for the 360's 3 cores..so yeah.
On top of that it is very hit and miss; my old C2D-3.0ghz 8800gt system ran it above 30fps on medium while I have friends with much better systems barely able to run it.

You're right about it being a 'wierd port'. You're being kind: it's a right bastard of a port, but now and then it gives me some real amusement.

My 'puter manages 20-30. On a good day it stays around 30 and I have a poo poo video card. I used to be bothered so much (like a baby) about the framerate. But I love smashing Priuses so much that I had to accept the slowdowns... it's worth it when you run the Tug aground and blow it up and begin a police orgy on the beach.

Even SA runs a bit to the choppy side for me, very rarely and generally when I'm travelling at high speed. I have four cores for gently caress's sake. Love the GTA series. I played the first game so compulsively that I didn't even mind the demo time-limit. Between that and Doom I certainly indulged the violence.

One question about SA, though: is there a way to 100% the parachuting mission in flying school? I've wanted that attack helicopter for a long time, but my personal best at that bastard of a parachuting lesson is 97%, and that's after watching numerous guides. I've written it off as impossible and gone back to car-surfing shooting sprees... possibly the highest form of digital art as interactive fuckery.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I forgot the exact timing but start the mission and hold forward while it is loading so you dive as soon as possible, keep that for 10 (11, 12?) seconds then use the parachute; do the rapid decent on the chute when you are above the second circle of the target.

Something like that, Took me a while but I did get it eventual for my 100% savegame.
gently caress City Sleeking Gold in the driving school though; that one is 100x more annoying and random.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

At what settings are the people complaining about GTAIV's PC performance running it on? I keep hearing it's a bad port, but for all I know it could be just another case of PC gamers angry that they can't run something with shadows enabled alongside every draw/detail distance at max.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Zedd posted:

It would look six thousand times better if it wasn't just the original SA geometry ported into the newer engine instead of building new buildings and locations to take advantage of the higher detail limit.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

DrVenkman posted:

If only GTA3 or VC could be modded to look that good...

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

DrVenkman posted:

Wow, that's incredible. I really, really need to pick up a PC copy of GTA4 - hopefully my old wheezing machine can run it.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

webmeister posted:

Wow, that's incredible. I really, really need to pick up a PC copy of GTA4 - hopefully my old wheezing machine can run it.

Yes, that's amazing. I'd be willing to buy a heavy-duty machine just to run that and other Rage mods if they finish it. Imagine the multiplayer fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

GUI posted:

At what settings are the people complaining about GTAIV's PC performance running it on? I keep hearing it's a bad port, but for all I know it could be just another case of PC gamers angry that they can't run something with shadows enabled alongside every draw/detail distance at max.

You need: High End Dual core
Nvidia 8800gt or better card
4gigs ram

Then it will probably run decent. (Native resolution, density's and draw distance about 25% of max and medium details) the main problem with the PC version is the hit-and-miss preformance. Identical systems can have extremely different preformance.

• Locked thread