Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Here's a tip I figured out when I got stuck on one level of Magic Carpet (the one where its basically all swarms of bees). Use your castle like a cheap version of the meteor spell. It'll kill anything around where it sprouts up, otherwise it felt drat ear impossible to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

I need help in Ultima Underworld.

I have to make a trade with Zak, but nothing seems to go through. I've offered him upwards of 20 fishes, and he still thinks I must be joking. But I know he wants food. He says he wants food. What does the game want me to do? I'll do it!

What are you trying to trade for? If it's the Taper of Sacrifice, I was able to get that from him for three fish and a lantern.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Gang, I'm having horrid troubles trying to play Baldurs Gate 2 via TCP/IP. We're on a local wireless network, entering the ip, and it just hates us and doesn't want us to enjoy ourselves. Utter failure to connect each time.

The dickhead thing is that when I was back in South Africa, I could use Hamachi to get a virtual network going, and we could play just fine (albeit a little awkward on the combat pausing) using Skype to communicate and Hamachi to allow for BG2's LAN comms. Now we're sitting *in the same room* and the bastard won't connect via the wireless.

Have any of you had to overcome any BG2 multiplayer issues since buying the GOG version? Please help - there are 20s that need rollin'.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Big Sal Graziano posted:

Has there been any official news of this or is the Steam thread speculating again?

Speculation based on the timing of sales every previous year. Steam doesn't advertise a sale until it happens. Depending on the sale GoG is planning I'll probably bite the bullet and shell out the money for the 12 or so games I don't own yet. These guys have decimated my bank account the past 2 years.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've spent around $130 on 54 games over the past couple years. (Recently passed my 1000 days.) The last time I spent that much on games, it was for a Nintendo 64.

e: whoops, make that $215.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 20, 2011

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Holy gently caress this site. I've never bought anything from it and have played most of the games I would want to buy from it(though I don't have any of my original discs at all...) at least once already but I keep going back every weekend and almost wasting a bunch of money on poo poo I've already played or will probably play once and never again. Anyone else get the feeling that if most of these were at the $4.99 price point instead of $5.99 they'd impulse buy a bunch more of them?

I don't even know why that dollar makes a difference to me, but it seems to. If it's $5 I'll impulse buy. If it's more I won't. Thanks gog for saving my wallet. For now.

By the way what do you goons think of Temple of Elemental Evil? That's the one thing I'm really thinking about buying because I've thought it looked interesting for a long time.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
The prices on GOG are amazing. You're crazy.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

They what

What is this :psyduck:

I would never in a million years have guessed that Lands of Lore (a first-person real-time RPG dungeon crawl thing) uses the same engine as Legend of Kyrandia (a third-person point-and-click puzzle game).

Civilization 4 and Oblivion use the same engine. You don't want to know how many completely different games use the Torque 2D or Torque 3D engines. Most engines we hear about are FPS engines because they're the most graphically advanced, but they're also heavily tailored to fill single specific roles, and although they sometimes go outside those roles, they usually feel a bit off when they do. Other game engines are built to be more versatile.

On the other hand, Unreal Engine 3 is ubiquitous and I think has been used in pretty much ever genre ever, and EA is using Frostbite 2, the BF3 engine, for some Need for Speed game.

edit: I just found out that the Torque engine was originally built for Tribes 2. It was later used for games such as Jets'n'Guns, a sidescrolling shmup, and And Yet It Moves, a puzzle platformer with 2D paper cutout style art. Yeah... In this regard, Lands of Lore using the Kyrandia engine is perhaps less of a stretch.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 20, 2011

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I don't even know why that dollar makes a difference to me, but it seems to. If it's $5 I'll impulse buy. If it's more I won't. Thanks gog for saving my wallet. For now.

Pretty easy to explain if you ask me. $5.99 is technically $6, anyone who thinks otherwise has fallen into the well-studied and documented fact that the human brain looks first at the farthest left digit when making emotional decisions involving money, and keeps returning to it ignoring the pennies at the end. While this should mean we all go "gently caress yea, five bucks, mothafucka!" the pennies here seem to be enough for a few of us to know it's more than a single bill. If everything was $4.99, we'd all know that was a fiver and could budget a cup of coffee or two out of each week if we wanted to keep our weekly expenditures close to par.

As it is, you're probably able (in this instance, anyone who thinks they're 100% immune is blatantly or unknowingly lying) to realize the $6 fact, most people will only see the $5.xx and purchase, netting GOG ~20% more money per sale as that price point.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

cheapskatin'

If you're patient, the game you want will eventually go on sale for under $6. Some games don't ever go on sale though, or only rarely. Most of the games I've bought weren't at full price.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I need help in Ultima Underworld.

I have to make a trade with Zak, but nothing seems to go through. I've offered him upwards of 20 fishes, and he still thinks I must be joking. But I know he wants food. He says he wants food. What does the game want me to do? I'll do it!

When you drag an item over to the trade window a small red light should appear in the corner to indicate that the item is selected for trading. You probably already have his item highlighted so you just need to highlight your item by clicking on it to toggle it back on.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Interplay games -50% until July 4th
http://www.gog.com/en/promo/interplay

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
First Staycation promo! 50% off everything Interplay!

EDIT: BAST! :argh:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Reccomendations please goonfriends! I already own the Freespace series, Sacrifice and Giants, looking for an intresting gaming experience

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Aw hell yeah, I've been waiting for this sale forever!

I'm planning on picking up Descent 1+2+3, Fallout 1+2+Tactics, Freespace 2, Redneck Rampage Collection, Sacrifice, and Shogo. (Already got the MDK games and Giants: Citizen Kabuto from a past sale.) Am I missing any essentials?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Going to get Die By the Sword, but I already own everything else I would want!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I just got Shogo, Descent 1+2 (because of D2X-XL source port, looks awesome) and Die By the Sword. drat you gog for start the summer wallet-ripping before Steam.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

How well do those Castles games hold up? I was looking at those when I first signed up for GOG (during the Interplay B1G1 sale :v:) but they look pretty aged at this point. Is the diplomacy in it any good? Can I just sit in my castle and win the game?

Also, is there a particular reason to pick up the Freespace games if I already have something like X3: Terran Conflict? I haven't even gotten around to playing X3 yet (need to build a new computer first), but I don't know anything about the differences between the series. I mostly just want open world space stuff, preferably with something to do besides combat.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Armor-Piercing posted:

Also, is there a particular reason to pick up the Freespace games if I already have something like X3: Terran Conflict? I haven't even gotten around to playing X3 yet (need to build a new computer first), but I don't know anything about the differences between the series. I mostly just want open world space stuff, preferably with something to do besides combat.

The Freespace games are entirely combat driven Wing Commander style of games. X3 is the open space Elite style game. The Freespace games are pretty great though.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Oh man. I'm looking at today's discounted stuff and I don't know what to get. I'm trying to resist the Fallout games since I've played them so many times over (except Tactics, guess I should give that a play, but I still have my CD). Freespace 2 is tempting since I replay it every couple years. Those, Redneck Rampage, and Earthworm Jim are literally the only games from that list that I've played.

Have I been missing out? Descent and Giants: Citizen Kabuto kinda stand out for me, but I'm afraid they may not have aged well. What should I be thinking about getting?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The only two games on that list that I want that I didn't have were MDK 1 and 2, so I picked those up. I'd recommend Sacrifice, Giants, Freespace 2, Fallout 1 + 2, and Descent 1 + 2.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Meldonox posted:

Have I been missing out? Descent and Giants: Citizen Kabuto kinda stand out for me, but I'm afraid they may not have aged well. What should I be thinking about getting?

Descent 1 and 2 are your standard mid-90's FPS game just with a spaceship. Find keys blow reactor and escape. Descent three is objective based but looks better and is still very good.

You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't pick up giants. it looks gorgeous and is funny as all hell.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

^ Descent has aged quite well when combined with the D2X-XL engine remake (which supports both D1 and D2). IMO, Descent 1 is still the best of the series (followed by Descent 3, with Descent 2 a very distant last place).

This sale is going to be very bad for me. Shattered Steel, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Fallout Tactics, and the Descent 3 expansion are all things I've wanted to play, so that's four games right there. Add Sacrifice to the list because I was never able to get it working on Win7.

Oh, and Evolva looks kind of interesting. So that's six.

And if I let myself go completely wild, I also need to get Descent 1+2, Fallout, Fallout 2, MAX 1+2, MDK, and MDK 2, all of which I already have but would rather not mess about with discs for (and in some cases the discs are missing entirely).

Dammit, GOG.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Man, they are going all out on this Staycation sale. I just plunked down on Earthworm Jim 1&2, Freespace 1&2, Descent 1-3, MDK 1&2, Shogo, Messiah, Screamer, and Battlechess.

I dread the hit to my CC as they start putting more publishers up for sale...

Edit: VvV Giants is totally worth more than $3, that's a silly price to pass up. The humor/writing alone is worth that. The gameplay is actually not that bad, tho I don't think I ever got pass the Reaper's racing missions back in the day.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

OptimusShr posted:

You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't pick up giants. it looks gorgeous and is funny as all hell.

I'll have to sort of disagree about Giants. The writing and voice acting are top-notch but the gameplay really hasn't aged well. It's still worth the three bucks just to see if you like it though.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I won a free game off of the RPS contest :)
I chose Baldur's Gate 2.

I'm now heavily considering buying MDK1+2 because I LOVED MDK to the point of playing through it at least 10 times and I never played MDK2.

Do the PC versions have any mods or anything that updates them?

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

I've got Fallout Tactics, MDK 1+2, Die By The Sword, Shogo and Earthworm Jim 1+2 in my cart. Any of those not particularly good? I already have the other Fallouts, the Descents, the Freespaces, Giants and Sacrifice. Anything else worth getting?

Also, Messiah: yay or nay?

Breadnought fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 20, 2011

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Breadnought posted:

I've got Fallout Tactics, MDK 1+2, Die By The Sword, Shogo and Earthworm Jim 1+2 in my cart. Any of those not particularly good? I already have the other Fallouts, the Descents, the Freespaces, Giants and Sacrifice.

Those are all solid games, though I'm not sure about the quality of the Earthworm Jim PC ports. At the very least I know they're not the definitive versions.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Breadnought posted:

I've got Fallout Tactics, MDK 1+2, Die By The Sword, Shogo and Earthworm Jim 1+2 in my cart. Any of those not particularly good? I already have the other Fallouts, the Descents, the Freespaces, Giants and Sacrifice.

Tactics doesn't really live up to the other Fallouts in my opinion, and iirc, wasn't received that well back in the day. MDK and Earthworm Jim on the other hand are awesome. Don't know the other games.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I'll have to sort of disagree about Giants. The writing and voice acting are top-notch but the gameplay really hasn't aged well. It's still worth the three bucks just to see if you like it though.

The gameplay was never particularly good in the first place. I never played the multiplayer though, but I doubt anyone is going to be playing it now even if it was good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Should I buy Fallout 2 and give the series another shot? I just could not get into Fallout 1 no matter how hard I tried.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

C-Euro posted:

Should I buy Fallout 2 and give the series another shot? I just could not get into Fallout 1 no matter how hard I tried.

The second one is more of the same as far as mechanics and interface etc, so if those were what was holding you up, it's not gonna get any better.

I've tried too, but I absolutely hated the first bit of combat, and how you moved and the interface was a total clusterfuck.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Das Butterbrot posted:

Tactics doesn't really live up to the other Fallouts in my opinion, and iirc, wasn't received that well back in the day. MDK and Earthworm Jim on the other hand are awesome. Don't know the other games.

Tactics definitely has the best combat of the isometric games.

Side note, if you feel Tactics was buggy (it was), it's because it got shipped out with a weekend of QA.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

C-Euro posted:

Depends on your reasoning for not being able to play fallout 1. If it's UI clunkiness, 2 doesn't improve much other than letting you shove NPCs out of your way so you don't get stuck. If it's lack of direction for your main quest, there's still not a lot of hand holding but you don't have to worry about a looming time limit so it's not so bad. On the whole they are very similar games. Personally I think fallout 1 is superior, but not by a lot.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Kennel posted:

Interplay games -50% until July 4th
http://www.gog.com/en/promo/interplay

Everyone needs to buy Giant: Citizen Kabuto so we can play the awesome multiplayer.

That gives me a good idea for a new thread... Maybe I'll set up some multiplayer this weekend!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Honestly, if you had trouble getting into FO1, you'll hate FO2. As far as UI and game mechanics and whatnot go, it's identical; apart from that, it starts out much more slowly. I loved FO1 but it took me four tries to get anywhere in FO2, it just takes way too long to transition out of being slow, frustrating and boring.

Now, once it does leave that phase, it gets pretty good. I still think FO1 was the better game, though.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Everybody should buy Messiah - one of the most underrated games of all time, with a fantastic game mechanic that was never again used, a true gem.

One sentence synopsis: a third person action shooter where you're a fragile herubin who can be easily killed and can barely defend himself but has one ability - he can enter his enemies bodies and control them.

So basically you can enter any enemy, shoot, pound, destroy your friends and then jump off a cliff ejecting your angel into safety. Priceless.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Sankis posted:

Everyone needs to buy Giant: Citizen Kabuto so we can play the awesome multiplayer.

That gives me a good idea for a new thread... Maybe I'll set up some multiplayer this weekend!

Please do this I want to play

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Those are all solid games, though I'm not sure about the quality of the Earthworm Jim PC ports. At the very least I know they're not the definitive versions.

Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 work great on PC, and have higher quality sound. We should get Giants multiplayer going, there's packs on GOG forums that have maps and higher quality renderers if anyone wants to improve the game, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Palpek posted:

Everybody should buy Messiah - one of the most underrated games of all time, with a fantastic game mechanic that was never again used, a true gem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geist_(video_game) ?