Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

A friend forwarded my candidature to RTW for an assistant producer position. After the initial contact I never heard anything back from RTW; kind of glad that this never went further :shobon:

I got interviewed by RTW right before I got hired by Crytek. I talked to some guy with a really thick Scots accent on the phone, and it took a few tries before I understood his question, which was something like "How do you do a loop that only does odd numbers" or something like that.. Once I finally understood his question, I answered him.

That was pretty much the interview. For a senior position. I never heard back from them, and boy was I glad of that later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
Diplomaticus, the quote for the Differences between Game Design Schools, Trade Schools, Colleges, Art Schools etc. section in the OP is missing. I found it really insightful. Can you please put it back? I retrieved it from the old thread.

devilmouse posted:

As someone that's had the pleasure of interviewing/working with far too many people... (Blah blah over generalizations, stereotypes...)

For programming (and god help us all, "design"), Full Sail turns out pretty weak candidates, though if they're not working on mission/performance critical systems and you give them a ton of oversight, they can be alright. Digipen's programmers tend to be much better, for whatever reason. The difference in a CS major and a trade schooler is scary. The CS majors tend to be able to think abstractly about problems and concepts while the trade school folk get panicky if they can't apply some drilled in rote memorization solution from a book. There's a pretty sharp distinction between computer PROGRAMMERS (trade schools) and ENGINEERS.

For art proper (not animation or tech art- which, again, seem to turn out alright... perhaps because these are both skill sets you can learn? There are precious few animators these days that are classically trained.), the trade schools are abysmal. The best artists I've worked with all went to traditional art schools (RISD, MICA, etc) and they blow away their trade school counterparts.

In both cases, the trade school people have this odd primadonna / entitlement complex about them. "I got my degree in making games, so obviously I know things!" At RISD, kids would be regularly be reduced to tears in crits and profs would bluntly tell them that they might want to change majors / drop out. Learning to take criticism seems absent from the trade schoolers and when you're working on the bottom of a totem pole, the last thing you want to do is to pout about not being taken seriously enough (artists with <1 year experience throwing a hissy fit when not being allowed to texture/model characters... programmers wanting to rewrite large swaths of the engine because 'that's how Unreal does it'...).

If you're going to drop some stupid amount of money on a school, make it a real one and get a proper education, not some "accredited" "certificate". Or just take free classes online at MIT or hook up with some modders and build something or hang out on cgtalk and get crits to build up a portfolio on your own.

The art schools around here all have pretty strong ties with the game shops and the game companies have intern/co-op opportunities pretty consistently. Everyone wins with these... the students get experience and the companies get cheap labor. If there's a match, then a job offer can quickly follow.

edit to be less of a dick: I have worked with great people that went to Full Sail/Digipen/etc, but these are far from the norm.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Backov posted:

I got interviewed by RTW right before I got hired by Crytek. I talked to some guy with a really thick Scots accent on the phone, and it took a few tries before I understood his question, which was something like "How do you do a loop that only does odd numbers" or something like that.. Once I finally understood his question, I answered him.

That was pretty much the interview. For a senior position. I never heard back from them, and boy was I glad of that later.

Did we meet when I was over at Crytek?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Did we meet when I was over at Crytek?

Nah, I was visiting Frankfurt the weekend after you had your interview though. I am friends with the guy who had the position you were interviewing for there.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Alright, I know kinda know my way around blender, now I've got to figure out what to start with.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
A desert eagle naturally.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

A desert eagle naturally.

Ah yes, I need to get to the textured AK47 stage before I post anything here though. :3:

I kid, I kid. Will find more tutorials and try my hand at simple things.

Edit - This shits hard ;-;

Solus fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 20, 2011

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Hmm. At a bit of a crossroads with 3D right now.

Up til now I was sort of sure that Environment art would be a good route for me to get into the industry but after some serious thinking after my UDK project and the recent art test I did for Playground, I'm starting to think that perhaps my heart may not be into whole environments as much as it is for Props, Objects, Weapons, hell even Vehicles, maybe? I've never done any high res vehicles but I guess it'd be like any other model.

And if I don't love being a level builder then there's no chance I'd get a job like that, right? Or last particularly long if I did.

I think I basically had it right when I mentioned in the interview "I like to model...stuff", things, big things, small things, not so much entire worlds and scenes. I get daunted by environments and the big picture overwhelms me. I knew this back when I was doing level creation back at uni and it's ringing true now as well.

Calling all industry artists ITT, what should I do from here? Re-tool the folio for props/vehicles/weapons only?

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 20, 2011

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Aliginge posted:

Calling all industry artists ITT, what should I do from here? Re-tool the folio for props/vehicles/weapons only?
Even though i'm hardly an artist. Do what you enjoy the most, No point working doing stuff you don't like when you could do something you do like.

Edit @VVV That would be brilliant, steam name is smallharmlesskitten if you have a download link, failing that I'll whip up a throwaway email or something

Solus fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 20, 2011

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Solus posted:

Alright, I know kinda know my way around blender, now I've got to figure out what to start with.

I could give you my syllabus for my intro to 3d modelling class in Blender and you can go through the projects. :v:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Aliginge posted:

Some places don't have a prop/vehicle.weapon artist. Those are taken care of by either environmental artists or character artists.

What do you mean by props? Crates and stuff or items a character would have?

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

As I understand it, everything that goes into an environment that isn't the environment itself. Could be anything from dumpsters and stop signs to statues, bus wrecks, gun turrets, right down to the humble wooden crate and explosive barrel.

Then again there's no hard line as to where an environment artist stops and a prop modeller takes over, it's all a lot of overlap as i understand it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Aliginge posted:

As I understand it, everything that goes into an environment that isn't the environment itself. Could be anything from dumpsters and stop signs to statues, bus wrecks, gun turrets, right down to the humble wooden crate and explosive barrel.

A lot of the time that's considered Environment Artist as well.

Edit: if you go to Gamasutra and search for Prop Artist, it brings up Environment Artist jobs.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I'm gonna need to go burn more money on art supplies methinks, a lot of my stuff is old or missing due to siblings. :smith:

Gonna have to step back into this slowly, either go sperge level of technical and go viechle art practice using some stuff from my graphics class or draw some shiny other things. I know i've got to be able to draw a chair or a barrel as well as the Superdeathkiller starship Mk. XX from the planet Zorg.

So what types of art is there exactly.

Environment
Character
Props/weapons/viechle

I can't draw people for crap, (heads and hands :psyduck: heads and loving hands). While I have a loos grasp of what a weapon/prop artist does what would an environment artist do?

Solus fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 20, 2011

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Got a No from Access Games today.

Now I'm going to say gently caress off to the Japanese style CVs and make one in HTML. I'll post it here when it's done.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Solus posted:

So what types of art is there exactly.

Environment
Character
Props/weapons/viechle

I can't draw people for crap, (heads and hands :psyduck: heads and loving hands). While I have a loos grasp of what a weapon/prop artist does what would an environment artist do?

Why are you focusing on drawing if you are going to be a 3d artist? Yes, drawing helps, but I never have to draw my environments in a traditional sense before I work on them, I either have concept art that a concept artist made for me, or I have reference images from real work things and work off of that. Yes, being able to draw helps with having the fine motor control of your hands and making textures and sculpting, but you don't have to be a master. I even work with people that don't draw very well, just enough to get their point across.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Alterian posted:

Why are you focusing on drawing if you are going to be a 3d artist? Yes, drawing helps, but I never have to draw my environments in a traditional sense before I work on them, I either have concept art that a concept artist made for me, or I have reference images from real work things and work off of that. Yes, being able to draw helps with having the fine motor control of your hands and making textures and sculpting, but you don't have to be a master. I even work with people that don't draw very well, just enough to get their point across.

I'm not sure which I would like to go for >.<

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Aliginge posted:

Hmm. At a bit of a crossroads with 3D right now.

Up til now I was sort of sure that Environment art would be a good route for me to get into the industry but after some serious thinking after my UDK project and the recent art test I did for Playground, I'm starting to think that perhaps my heart may not be into whole environments as much as it is for Props, Objects, Weapons, hell even Vehicles, maybe? I've never done any high res vehicles but I guess it'd be like any other model.

And if I don't love being a level builder then there's no chance I'd get a job like that, right? Or last particularly long if I did.

I think I basically had it right when I mentioned in the interview "I like to model...stuff", things, big things, small things, not so much entire worlds and scenes. I get daunted by environments and the big picture overwhelms me. I knew this back when I was doing level creation back at uni and it's ringing true now as well.

You could always just go work for a smaller studio and model everything across the board and work out what you like the most.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Solus posted:

I'm not sure which I would like to go for >.<
The only one of those specialities which would NEED drawing ability would be character artist and probably creature artist too.

With everything else you certainly need to develop an eye for what looks good, how materials are in real life and how you portray them in 3d.

But for now it's probably best that you just make poo poo you like while you learn.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

^^^ Elegantly put, haha.

You'll never really be able to predict what people want to see in your portfolio. This is why a lot of studios make you do an art test as part of the interviewing process.

What you should do is work on projects that you are personally excited about. That's really the best advice. If you love characters, build one. If you love fantasy environments, go nuts. Your goal should be to bring a unique and creative touch to any project you work on, no matter the subject. Working on projects that you love will be the best safeguard against getting frustrated or bored and giving up, and your enjoyment will breed creativity, work ethic, innovation, and style which will all produce a much better end result.

If you don't know what you want to do, then your first step is to dabble in it all. You will literally never know what you like more until you've tried it all.

The bottom line is, you need to be working on and finishing projects and as you search for what project to do next, those things should be your main concern: what will you be able to work on for 1-4 weeks without giving up and what will you be able to finish and call done.

mutata fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 20, 2011

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

mutata posted:

^^^ Elegantly put, haha.

The crippling irony is that I'm in exactly the same boat. :doh:

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to study some Mudbox and work on first learning how to texture in that program and then getting a solid high-to-low poly workflow going from it.

Imajus
Jun 10, 2004

Thirteen!
Environment art isn't that specialized. I work for a large AAA studio and I've done vehicles, buildings, terrain, small objects like street signs and all kinds of different things. I would take mutata's advice and play to your strengths. I always try to find a way to show off my strengths in all my portfolio pieces.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
I just want to model trash. That's all I want to do. Soda cans, fast food containers, dirty newspapers. That's it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I just want to model trash. That's all I want to do. Soda cans, fast food containers, dirty newspapers. That's it.

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAM!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I just want to make building blocks then snap them together in amazing new ways, like the dungeon/building parts in the construction kits of Bethesda games. I know I won't need a corner piece to align with this wall section and I won't need a four-way tunnel part but dammit I want it.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Mod angry birds so you fling trash at bins. In 3D.

--

Anyway. I shall sally forth unto the internet when i wake up and attempt to model things. And I shall model them poorly.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Solus posted:

And I shall model them poorly.

You're gonna make poo poo. You're gonna make a lot of poo poo. What will help you out is recognizing why its poo poo and how to fix it in your next piece, or knowing when its unsalvagable or the idea is bad and dropping it. Rinse and repeat (for a long time).

I gotta echo the old love for the book Art and Fear for anyone whos looking to get into a creative field. I just started reading it on a car trip and made it a few chapters in.

You think Picasso or Michaelangelo popped out being able to make Guernica or the Sistine Chapel Ceiling? Or that they look exactly like what they pictured in their minds?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I should try to find some of my first work to post how loving lovely I was when I first started.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I gotta echo the old love for the book Art and Fear for anyone whos looking to get into a creative field. I just started reading it on a car trip and made it a few chapters in.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Fear-Observations-Rewards-Artmaking/dp/0961454733/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308590682&sr=1-1

Here's the link for that, by the way.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Alterian posted:

I should try to find some of my first work to post how loving lovely I was when I first started.

I still have most of the poo poo I made at uni lurking on my hard drive. Sometimes, I go and take a look to remind myself how far I have really come.

I was terrible all through uni though, working on every kind of thing under the sun since I started at my employer has been a great learning process. I made my first car today(spaceships aplenty but never a car, crazy right?) and it has confirmed my suspicions that I would hate to work on a racing game :I

But! It's good to know that I can make a car when I have to. And I see a lot of cars in my future. Cars and robots.

floofyscorp fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 17, 2013

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you the first proper animation I ever did. It is terrible. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyeMPB06pjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyeMPB06pjE

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 20, 2011

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Well I'm not letting you be embarrassed alone so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5ZD59M4NS0

my 3D Effects For Games project. fuckin' uni work seriously :cry:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

concerned mom posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you the first proper animation I ever did. It is terrible. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyeMPB06pjE

Aliginge posted:

Well I'm not letting you be embarrassed alone so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5ZD59M4NS0

my 3D Effects For Games project. fuckin' uni work seriously :cry:

More people should keep their old stuff online, just to show what difference experience and practice makes. :allears:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I used to have my old portfolio available, contrasting it with my 'current' portfolio was pretty neat and I felt it was useful for folks.

But I haven't had it up in like 2 years. I really need to get a new portfolio together.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Oh, my friends.

This is Hrad Pernštejn, the source of all my nightmares in my second year of uni. The assignment: model this Czech castle. Poly limit: 100,000 triangles. Everything had to be welded in, no open edges, no floating geometry. What you see there is an 80,000 triangle solid mesh(except for the trees).

That loving assignment.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I don't have any of my truly old stuff, but as the programmer, this was the centerpiece of my portfolio when breaking into the industry. Predictably, it was a massive RPG with a massive design document and... we got as far as the basic world and combat :v: (and then I got a job and abandoned my partner - sorry dude, but, :10bux: :()

Feast your eyes on "Elium" (built over about 2 years by myself and an artist in Mexico):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROOfXEoN6LI

... but I'm still proud of it technologically. Do you see where I roll under the AI's sword swings, or where I get hit in an arm and the arm moves? That's because all the damage modelling was physically accurate and animation synced. You're a living ragdoll that syncs to the animation position, with each limb reporting damage accordingly.

The skill system I made was capable of being fully scripted and was very flexible, the terrain system had an insane view distance, etc. It was cool for the time dammit :(

Also proud of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHvJqPxXUXM

That was our dynamic weather and cloud system. The clouds were based on animated perlin noise. Hotness. This was also around about where I started listening to Philip Glass. The video syncs so well because I sat there with the track playing and synced what I was doing to the music.

:love: Philip Glass :love:

EDIT: Trivia - we actually submitted this to a 4 Elements competition back then, with the theme "Ninjas, Pirates and Zombies." We made specific ninja meshes, built a simple level, and cobbled together a basic demo. We made it to the second round by virtue of being very pretty, but didn't go beyond that given that there wasn't even an end state / nothing about it was a polished game, it was just a slice of a game. The eventual contest winner was Ninja <3 Pirate (looks like they ran with it after winning) which they'd made in loving GameMaker with a team of 6 artist. We were bitter over that for months, and was when I started to understand why building your tech up from nothing wasn't always a good idea.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 20, 2011

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I see that, and I raise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYI6EMvQIwk

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

floofyscorp posted:

Pernštejn
oh NO YOU DI'INT.

Everything, and i mean EVERYTHING is welded watertight in this complete awkward bastard of a modelling project.

So many days lost just welding those alternative-height roof sections together when you never even need to IRL :qq:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

When was this? What show?

PAX East. Not this most recent one, the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Mush Man posted:

Diplomaticus, the quote for the Differences between Game Design Schools, Trade Schools, Colleges, Art Schools etc. section in the OP is missing. I found it really insightful. Can you please put it back? I retrieved it from the old thread.

Huh, don't know how that happened. Fixed.