Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

LastInLine posted:

I remember you posting this and was wondering if you ever solved it. Dumb question, but you didn't lose S-OFF or anything like that, did you? I don't know a lot about how things are done on the DInc, but have you tried flashing the recovery from ADB?

Yeah and it hasn't stuck either. I'm going to try going back to absolute stock and then starting over from scratch there and see if that does it now.
Edit: This worked.

Now to solve my last 3 problems. Update the radio, the Hboot version and choose a rom to run. For both the radio and the hboot it never seems to be able to detect the files inside of the PB31IMG.zip for some reason. Going to try re-formatting the SDcard.

Edit 2.0: Woo, reformat got the new hboot and radio to flash. Now the hardest part. Do I go for CM7 or one of the Sense 3.0 ports?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Yeah and it hasn't stuck either. I'm going to try going back to absolute stock and then starting over from scratch there and see if that does it now.
Edit: This worked.

Now to solve my last 3 problems. Update the radio, the Hboot version and choose a rom to run. For both the radio and the hboot it never seems to be able to detect the files inside of the PB31IMG.zip for some reason. Going to try re-formatting the SDcard.

Edit 2.0: Woo, reformat got the new hboot and radio to flash. Now the hardest part. Do I go for CM7 or one of the Sense 3.0 ports?

most of the Inc sense3.0 ports are still a little rough, maybe check out that DualRom trick if you want to try out Sense 3 without having to give up functionality.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Tried out miui 1.6.17 on my incredible.
The ui is sharp and the new lockscreens are cool, but it feels off. Plus my battery seems to drain faster even with incredikernel.

Back to cm7 for now.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What is the current best rootable device on Verizon's network. The Fascinate? I want to run Cyanogenmod, for what it is worth.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Gyshall posted:

What is the current best rootable device on Verizon's network. The Fascinate? I want to run Cyanogenmod, for what it is worth.

The Fascinate is old, I wouldn't buy one now.None of the newer phones have CM7 yet because it takes time, but currently ALL verizon Android phones (except maybe the new X2? not sure) are rootable and have custom ROMs available.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

CM7 on the G2x update:

Battery is much, much, MUCH better than previously.

The LED notification works much better than the third party ones.

HSPA+ doesn't seem to be any better than previously, but I could just be capping out the local tower or something.

GPS seemed faster this morning, but it's the afternoon commute that usually has issues.

Still waiting to see if it managed to hard lock itself on my car charger, but that's become far less frequent.

The G2x is almost up to par in terms of stability.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Gyshall posted:

Hahaha. No. :(

Fascinate is rootable, and custom ROMs are easy to install, but loving Samsung clusterfucked the code so much that it takes a Herculean effort for the developers to get anything runnable on it. There's currently a CM6 beta for it, and some people are making good progress on CM7, but I think you'd be better served with another device.

And this is coming from someone who loves his Fascinate, despite its flaws.

Edit: Holy poo poo, the chatter on XDA tells me there's been leaked Gingerbread for the Fascinate! I never thought the day would come!

Perhaps I lied and the day has come that we will have up to date ROMs.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 20, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Casao posted:

CM7 on the G2x update:

HSPA+ doesn't seem to be any better than previously, but I could just be capping out the local tower or something.

GPS seemed faster this morning, but it's the afternoon commute that usually has issues.

Still waiting to see if it managed to hard lock itself on my car charger, but that's become far less frequent.

Thanks for the update, I was just about to ask you guys to post one.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

Casao posted:

CM7 on the G2x update:

Unfortunately for me I've been experiencing a lot of hard locks but I'm sure it's because of the phone or battery overheating. It happened a few times while I was using GPS and it was a fairly hot day though.

Does the battery normally overheat? I experienced a lot of hard locks this weekend actually which seemed to do with overheating of either the phone or battery but again the conditions around me were fairly warm and it was during a time where I was using the phone for a semi-long period.

Also, speaking of GPS, I couldn't seem to get a lock in a good amount of time until I used GPS Test and cleared/updated the AGPS. Once I did that, I would get a lock almost instantly.

Overall though, this latest nightly is very solid and I'm hoping the bugs get ironed out eventually by either the CM team or LG because this phone is really awesome otherwise.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Gyshall posted:

As the others mentioned, this is probably the WORST rootable device on Verizon right now.

If rooting/CM are the highest priorities, then your best bet is probably the original Droid Incredible. It's a bit dated at this point, but it's basically been cracked wide open into a free-for-all. I wouldn't buy one on contract right now, though, especially with the rumours of the Galaxy S2 being much more dev-friendly, but if you can pick up a used Inc for cheap, it should tide you over. The other phones on Verizon right now all have either locked bootloaders (Moto, Incredible 2) or are a mess dev-wise (Samsung).

There's always the possibility that the Thunderbolt will get a solid CM port, but if you want a good rooting phone today, the Inc is probably your best bet.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Posting from nightly 55. I haven't had a sleep coma since 53 and nary a single reboot. Yesterday I managed 8 hours with WiFi running, Google Music Beta streaming and the world's worst cell service. Pretty impressed. A2DP is busted and I haven't sat down and tried to get GPS working though. I'll probably play with it tomorrow. The notification light is surprisingly nice. It fades in and out every 4/5 seconds or so. I wish I could make it pulse a wee bit faster but I'm definitely not complaining.

Over all I'm shocked that this piece of poo poo is running so well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Posting from nightly 55. I haven't had a sleep coma since 53 and nary a single reboot. Yesterday I managed 8 hours with WiFi running, Google Music Beta streaming and the world's worst cell service. Pretty impressed. A2DP is busted and I haven't sat down and tried to get GPS working though. I'll probably play with it tomorrow. The notification light is surprisingly nice. It fades in and out every 4/5 seconds or so. I wish I could make it pulse a wee bit faster but I'm definitely not complaining.

Over all I'm shocked that this piece of poo poo is running so well.
I notice on xda everyone is constantly bitching about APNs disappearing but nobody here does so I chalked that up to the idiots at xda. If I were to root her phone and go CM7, what's the proper way to fix the APN problem? There are like 7 ("Guaranteed to work!!!") methods on xda but no real indication as to which one I should use.

Lastly, I notice in the CM7 nightly thread there are some complaints about multiple SMSs appearing. She had this problem once on stock but it's never come back. Anyone seeing that?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I only saw the APN issue the very first time I flashed a nightly. I've never seen the double SMS issue. Fake edit: I've seen the double SMS issue but only from the 2 people I know on Sprint but I've been seeing that from them for years.

By default CM has two APN's listed for a TMo SIM card. One named Simple and one aptly named T-Mobile US. Toggling between the two and clearing out extra fields got it working right away.

Name: T-Mobile US
APN: epc.tmobile.com
Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: none
Password: ****
Server: *
MMS proxy: <not set>
MMS port: <not set>
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Auth type: <not set>
APN Type: default,supl,mms
APN Protocol: IPv4

The "Simple" APN is the same thing but with <not set> in the username and password fields. Technically the "Simple" one should work (because TMo doesn't use username and passwords for APNs) but for me it doesn't.

/shrug

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

So I just got a Nook Color and I'm trying to figure out the latest and greatest way to run a custom rom from the SD card without rooting. Is the method described here still applicable? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1000957

Its dated March 20th, and this stuff changes so often that I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Casao posted:

CM7 on the G2x update:

Is there an actual led, or are they flashing one of the home/menu/etc buttons to indicate a notification?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Civil posted:

Is there an actual led, or are they flashing one of the home/menu/etc buttons to indicate a notification?

Light bar. Fades in and out. Oddly enough I actually like it more than an LED.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So after a weekend where I really needed Wifi calling and a functional GPS I want to downgrade my Vibrant from the CM7 nightlies back to Team Whiskey. Is there any issue with just downloading the TW rom and loading it up or is there anything else I should do?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I am currently running the BAMF Gingerbread remix on my Thunderbolt. So far it's been pretty slick. Battery life is a litle better than the stock OS, but if you don't keep this fucker throttled down, it will still cause a brownout on your side of the city when you plug it in.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

So after a weekend where I really needed Wifi calling and a functional GPS I want to downgrade my Vibrant from the CM7 nightlies back to Team Whiskey. Is there any issue with just downloading the TW rom and loading it up or is there anything else I should do?

Do a Titanium Backup of all your app data only. Don't do a backup of system. Then go into recovery, do a full wipe, flash the TouchWiz ROM and after you're booted up, restore your app data. If you don't wipe and/or restore system data, prepare for force closes everywhere.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hey I might have to get my phone replaced and, as a verizon customer I've been using the incredible which was ready to root and s_off.

Are any of the newer verizon phones as easy to root? I'd prefer an htc.phone and amoled but if that's not realistic I'd like to know.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 20, 2011

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

infinite99 posted:

Unfortunately for me I've been experiencing a lot of hard locks but I'm sure it's because of the phone or battery overheating. It happened a few times while I was using GPS and it was a fairly hot day though.

Does the battery normally overheat? I experienced a lot of hard locks this weekend actually which seemed to do with overheating of either the phone or battery but again the conditions around me were fairly warm and it was during a time where I was using the phone for a semi-long period.

Also, speaking of GPS, I couldn't seem to get a lock in a good amount of time until I used GPS Test and cleared/updated the AGPS. Once I did that, I would get a lock almost instantly.

Overall though, this latest nightly is very solid and I'm hoping the bugs get ironed out eventually by either the CM team or LG because this phone is really awesome otherwise.

I had a reboot while using it in my car dock on the charger today.

Locks have been good, though. Must faster than previously.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure it's overheating causing the locks, since it never happens at home anymore, only when driving.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

I'd owner surgery htc.phone

Huh?

If you're asking about HTC phones with AMOLED, there hasn't been one since the Inc switched over to SLCD. Only Samsung phones have AMOLED right now.

And unfortunately, the rooting picture isn't too pretty on Verizon right now. Nothing will come close to the original Incredible; Moto devices of course have their locked bootloaders, as does the Incredible 2. The only truly cracked devices right now are the Charge, which of course has all the usual Samsung fun, and the Thunderbolt, which shows the most promise right now.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Is CM7 still full of suck on the G2?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Penguissimo posted:

Huh?

If you're asking about HTC phones with AMOLED, there hasn't been one since the Inc switched over to SLCD. Only Samsung phones have AMOLED right now.

And unfortunately, the rooting picture isn't too pretty on Verizon right now. Nothing will come close to the original Incredible; Moto devices of course have their locked bootloaders, as does the Incredible 2. The only truly cracked devices right now are the Charge, which of course has all the usual Samsung fun, and the Thunderbolt, which shows the most promise right now.

That's depressing. Oh well. Sorry about the strange sentence sometimes swype is odd.

Thanks for the info though.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

Ashex posted:

It was really solid for me when I was using my G2. I was on the latest nightlies with no problems at all.

I even saw less data drops as I did when I was using the earlier versions of CM7.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

Maker Of Shoes posted:

By default CM has two APN's listed for a TMo SIM card. One named Simple and one aptly named T-Mobile US. Toggling between the two and clearing out extra fields got it working right away.

Name: T-Mobile US
APN: epc.tmobile.com
Proxy: <not set>
Port: <not set>
Username: none
Password: ****
Server: *
MMS proxy: <not set>
MMS port: <not set>
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Auth type: <not set>
APN Type: default,supl,mms
APN Protocol: IPv4

The "Simple" APN is the same thing but with <not set> in the username and password fields. Technically the "Simple" one should work (because TMo doesn't use username and passwords for APNs) but for me it doesn't.

/shrug

Also make sure to put http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc for the mms server!

Ashex posted:

No, it's fantastic :confused:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Penguissimo posted:

Huh?

Confirming the Thunderbolt is a nice device. The only hiccup I ran into with rooting mine was installing the additional radio flash so it would work with gingerbread.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

candy for breakfast posted:

Also make sure to put http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc for the mms server!

Whoops! Good catch, I totally glossed right over that.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Ashex posted:

What issues were you having even? I've been on CM7 since getting the phone and rarely have issues. I'll have small problems on random nightlies, but the only thing I see is battery drain. If I stick with a stable release, things are fine.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Godzilla07 posted:

Do a Titanium Backup of all your app data only. Don't do a backup of system. Then go into recovery, do a full wipe, flash the TouchWiz ROM and after you're booted up, restore your app data. If you don't wipe and/or restore system data, prepare for force closes everywhere.

Ugh, the /sdcard isn't mounting in recovery, I'm trying to go back to an earlier nightly and maybe that will fix it. Christ.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I'm on nightly 54, which is the first with the update battery driver. So far, I can't say battery life is necessarily *better*, but it's definitely not worse, and the usage graph shows a steady downward slope rather than random drops, so I suppose it's more accurate if nothing else. I'll have a better idea of that tomorrow since I was running it down last night into this morning to recalibrate. GPS still sucks, but I've never actually tried it outside, so it might just be a matter of doing that. Data isn't any faster according to Speedtest, but I was already hitting around 7 mbps at home (and various slow as hell speeds elsewhere), so I don't really know if that's just the towers or what. The LED notification works very well, as noted, better than the third party stuff, so that's cool. I haven't really had hard locks in general, so I can't comment there, but I had some reboots on #52, but nothing in the day or so I've been on #54.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
The Incredible 2 has been unlocked and rooted. Hopefully this will open the gates for all of HTC's other recent phones with locked bootloaders so we won't have to wait for HTC to unlock them.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/06/20/video-droid-incredible-2-rooted-and-unlocked-s-off-by-alpharev-team/

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Fascinate owners, I am now running NAMELESS v4 EC09 Gingerbread, and it is wonderful. I wouldn't waste time with the stock TouchWiz unless you like Bing and Samsung poo poo, but this runs smoothly, it's snappy and quick, the GO Launcher it's packaged with is as functional as LPP (though I'm only just trying it out, having been a longtime LPP fan) and overall it's just very exciting that my all the Gingerbread stuff on my phone is actually Gingerbread and not just Froyo in play clothes.

Highly recommending this for anyone who is too impatient to wait for jt and crew to get MMS and sensors working in AOSP CM7, or who like TouchWiz functionality without TouchWiz bullshit.

Supposedly an update to NAMELESS v4 will be being posted shortly on XDA, as he said it would've been an update but he changed too much and made it a new version. Will report back once I have that working.

jermsz
Nov 22, 2007
just bought my first android phone, a galaxy s II, where's the best place to find up to date information about rooting it?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

jermsz posted:

just bought my first android phone, a galaxy s II, where's the best place to find up to date information about rooting it?

Probably XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1055

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Portrait of the Artist as a Grump
GOD loving DAMNIT WHY WON'T ANY KERNELS FLASH.

this is the 4th different kernel I've tried, every time it fucks up on boot.

I adb logcatted this one, it just loops around some audiostreamer settings.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

Fascinate owners, I am now running NAMELESS v4 EC09 Gingerbread, and it is wonderful. I wouldn't waste time with the stock TouchWiz unless you like Bing and Samsung poo poo, but this runs smoothly, it's snappy and quick, the GO Launcher it's packaged with is as functional as LPP (though I'm only just trying it out, having been a longtime LPP fan) and overall it's just very exciting that my all the Gingerbread stuff on my phone is actually Gingerbread and not just Froyo in play clothes.

Highly recommending this for anyone who is too impatient to wait for jt and crew to get MMS and sensors working in AOSP CM7, or who like TouchWiz functionality without TouchWiz bullshit.

Supposedly an update to NAMELESS v4 will be being posted shortly on XDA, as he said it would've been an update but he changed too much and made it a new version. Will report back once I have that working.

I flashed the leak shortly after it hit and have been having few problems, mainly I'm getting really bad random lag but other than that it has been awesome. I'll try out nameless tonight for sure. Pretty happy about this, hopefully CM7 isn't to far off.

Oh, and loving netflix works like a charm!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Iananan posted:

Are you clearing cache or dalvik cache? I think you're supposed to clear those before flashing a new kernel.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Iananan posted:

Going from ext3 to 4 or the other way doesn't work, so maybe that? Just a guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
drat, CM7 nightlies on Droid X aren't half bad. I can't even tell going from OG CM7 droid => Droid X, aside from the pain in the rear end of rooting/recovery.