Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Mark Grace hates the gently caress out of him.

E: Holy poo poo im dumb thats a real person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I'm going to lose the division to the Cubs in my first season of iOOTP because Carlos Pena is OPSing 1.200

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I got OOTP 11 recently, and I've played through about a decade of historical seasons, but this morning the game decided that it would cause a blue screen when trying to load my game. It got up to 50% - Loading Players, then it went boom. :(

EDIT: The customer support did get back to me rather quickly, so gonna have to zip up and send them my league files.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 16, 2011

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Groucho Marxist posted:

I'm going to lose the division to the Cubs in my first season of iOOTP because Carlos Pena is OPSing 1.200

Is iOOTP worth it?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Regnevelc posted:

Is iOOTP worth it?

The Cubs ended up winning the World Series, so no :colbert:

In all serious, it is quite a bit neutered from the PC version, but I expected that. It's perfectly acceptable for a couple of bucks to satiate a coffee break urge to trade relief pitchers for prospects.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

In OOTP, how do I maintain a player's potential? My high potential positional players in my system are not afraid to go from 4.5 stars potential to 2 and lower at the drop of a hat. :psyduck:

Also my minor leagues are full of guys who are overmatched and not ready for their level. They usually have to go down to short season or rookie league before these designations are gone.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 25, 2011

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
It's pretty realistic. Some guys will never achieve their potential no matter what, once in a while you get a 2* Potential guy who has a few years where he puts up MVP/Cy Young numbers. The most important thing with developing talent in my opinion is to not rush players. Some guys needs to stay in Rookie/A/A+ ball a few years until moving them up into AA/AAA. I really like to draft guys with high work ethic and intelligence ratings as that seems to reduce the volatility in my opinion, but everyone has their preferred qualities in players.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

con posted:

It's pretty realistic. Some guys will never achieve their potential no matter what, once in a while you get a 2* Potential guy who has a few years where he puts up MVP/Cy Young numbers. The most important thing with developing talent in my opinion is to not rush players. Some guys needs to stay in Rookie/A/A+ ball a few years until moving them up into AA/AAA. I really like to draft guys with high work ethic and intelligence ratings as that seems to reduce the volatility in my opinion, but everyone has their preferred qualities in players.

I know I've seen a couple of pitchers of mine come out of nowhere and their potential rating shot up bigtime. I'm about ready to call up two of them. I don't remember where I drafted them so I'll have to check when I get home. I don't think I drafted them very high, so it is pretty nice that a late round draft pick can make something of himself :)

Armitage fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 25, 2011

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

So my historic league finally got to 2011, and the first change the league makes is a local Kansas City hero buying the team.

Then moving them to Jacksonville. :psyduck:

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 25, 2011

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

con posted:

I go by rating, as soon as they are 75, they are in AAA, 72 AA, 69 A, and lower in Rookie.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I didn't see it posted yet: Marcus posted a release date of 20 June for OOTP. Yay!

Might we have enough interest for a goon league? We did one a few years ago that was a lot of fun.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I'd be in. Should be a nice contrast from the heavy 'all era' league I'm in that uses Diamond Mind Baseball.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

con posted:

I feel like the best thing to do is just let the AI manage your minor leagues with a few exceptions. After a whole lot of seasons, I've rarely seen it cause a player to crash due to moving them up too quickly or holding them down too long. The only time I change things is if I have a prospect I want to learn a new position.

The thing about OOTP is that, like in life, if you are only focusing in on one or two players then you are dealing with a tiny sample size. Don't bet that your 5 star player in rookie ball will develop. Always keep looking around to see who else is out there.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Uh

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well, today is the day for OOTP. Markus posted a few minutes ago that they're compiling the final install files.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bewbies posted:

Well, today is the day for OOTP. Markus posted a few minutes ago that they're compiling the final install files.

I just hope next time around they will cater some of their development to the online league players since that is a pretty big part of their users. There is no incentive for us to to buy a new game if it doesn't fix the issues that have plagued online leagues for a while.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Apparently I did buy OOTP 12! E-mails have been sent out, for anyone else who did.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

before I blow my license code, they did say that your one code works on both mac and PC installs right?

I'm on a mac right now, someday I'll be on a PC again...

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

OOTP forums are crazy slow right now but owners have already identified some errors in team rosters (contracts and ratings for prospects) as requested by the developers.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

tadashi posted:

I just hope next time around they will cater some of their development to the online league players since that is a pretty big part of their users. There is no incentive for us to to buy a new game if it doesn't fix the issues that have plagued online leagues for a while.

Sorry, next time around we'll be getting iOOTP2: Tablet Edition

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...

Telex posted:

before I blow my license code, they did say that your one code works on both mac and PC installs right?

I'm on a mac right now, someday I'll be on a PC again...

Yes, you have 2 total licenses that you can use on either platform.

Crud Bonemeal
Feb 9, 2006

But for us, it's not about one year. It's about trying to build a sustainable winner. If we build it correctly, we should be able to build a sustainable winner for the long term.
Anyone else having trouble activating OOTP?

edit: Finally worked.

Crud Bonemeal fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 20, 2011

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Crud Bonemeal posted:

Anyone else having trouble activating OOTP?

I didn't have any problem, but the server is being hammered right now, so it might take a little bit.

But holy poo poo the 2011 rosters are terrible. :psyduck:

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Tavarin posted:

But holy poo poo the 2011 rosters are terrible. :psyduck:

I swear I saw a proclamation that the 2011 rosters would be the best ever...

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Telex posted:

I swear I saw a proclamation that the 2011 rosters would be the best ever...

Well, they aren't quite as bad once I remembered to turn off scouting, but they're still very sloppy Opening Day rosters considering how much time they had to get them right.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have my copy waiting for me. Are we going to do an online league?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I'd be in for an online league, provided I didn't need to own the game.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I haven't gotten my email, woe is me, woe is me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Uh

this is actually pretty accurate

e: the overall/peak...I didn't notice the hilarity of a 99 power

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

There is supposed to be an update to rosters tomorrow for OOTP 12:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-12-general-discussions/209854-ml-roster-thread-5.html#post3151444

quote:

OK guys, it seems in the conversion process from the online DB to the in-game files something got messed up. That results in some wrong contracts as well as some weird player ratings & assignments. Sorry that we didn't catch this earlier!

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

this is actually pretty accurate

e: the overall/peak...I didn't notice the hilarity of a 99 power

Check out his stats.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Check out his stats.

That's a lot of dropped third strikes.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Also, two shutouts in things that apparently weren't complete games! I love glitches.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Okay so OOTP is still crazy.

I let the AI sort out my September callups, and it waived Bryce Harper. THANKS BUDDY.

Guess it's the same old "gotta micromanage every level otherwise the AI does stupid poo poo" game.

Meanwhile, I managed to sign Pujols and Jimmy Rollins to the Nationals and we are about to destroy the entire MLB. Harper is gonna spend one more year in AAA and then the magic will happen.

And if that doesn't work I go back to playing as St. Louis like I oughta. I do like the challenge of taking a lovely team and making them win though..

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've been really enjoying it. I'm a fictional bitch though so luckily most of the crippling problems with Rosters and Historical don't trouble me.

I am still at the stage where I create an elaborate baseball world, sim a year and go "... hang on, what happens if I do this?" and then recreate a new world.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Does it make me a sociopath when i wish a career ending injury on Jayson Werth and his 20 loving million dollar albatross of a contract in a game where I signed Pujols until he's 38 for 12m/year?

I have to pay Strausberg and Harper like 20m/year between them, I need that loving contract gone.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
:psyduck:

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Way to stack your team, jerk.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

DONT READ THIS POST posted:

Way to stack your team, jerk.

Yeah, and only with a payroll of $300,000,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

CraigK posted:

Yeah, and only with a payroll of $300,000,000.

Is it really even fun anymore when you do things like that?

I enjoy having to totally blow up my team and/or stay in budget to compete with the Yankees.

• Locked thread