Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Armor-Piercing posted:

How well do those Castles games hold up? I was looking at those when I first signed up for GOG (during the Interplay B1G1 sale :v:) but they look pretty aged at this point. Is the diplomacy in it any good? Can I just sit in my castle and win the game?

Also, is there a particular reason to pick up the Freespace games if I already have something like X3: Terran Conflict? I haven't even gotten around to playing X3 yet (need to build a new computer first), but I don't know anything about the differences between the series. I mostly just want open world space stuff, preferably with something to do besides combat.

Castles 2 has more of the diplomacy aspect to it, but I never played it so I can't speak to it. In Castles 1, if you can sit in your castle you pretty much have won the game, as building the castle itself is the challenge. It isn't like Stronghold where you can just put up walls with the click of a button once you have the resources, you have to have your peasants actually erect the structure, which takes about as much time as it might in real life--in other words, a long time. It will take several in-game years to build even the smallest of structures.

Basically the game is a castle-building + management sim--not only do you have to defend your castle (while it's still unfinished, yet) but also balance the needs of your workers and other "factions." E.g. one event has a crazy-rear end nun come to you and accuse your masons of being in league with the devil and you have various choices that will either piss off the church or your masons respectively. Some of the choices in these events are funny because you can be a real dick. In one of my playthroughs the church hated me because I kept humiliating their emissaries--I think I may have even beheaded a priest or nun and mailed the head back to the Pope or something. Also you can play on "fantasy" mode where you have orcs attacking your castle and the like.

I actually liked it a lot, though I haven't played it in 5+ years or so. I was always terrible at it though. Actually I think I might just pick it up in this sale now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ok thanks for the info, didn't know about this as I never owned a Gamecube. I'll have to check it out some day, I love the idea of possessing gameworld objects, npcs.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I was just thinking about how Interplay games never go on freaking sale. And now ALL of them are. Cripes, my PayPal account is about to be exercised.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Is Earthworm Jim 3d worth it, and why?

Palpek posted:

Ok thanks for the info, didn't know about this as I never owned a Gamecube. I'll have to check it out some day, I love the idea of possessing gameworld objects, npcs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Trick

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Is Earthworm Jim 3d worth it, and why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Trick

I'd say not usually, but at 3 bucks I'd say it's worth at least trying out, it's fun enough, just not as good as the first two.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

As huge a fan I am of the Earthworm Jim games, I feel it prudent to warn everyone that the PC-DOS version of EWJ1, which is what you're getting in the GOG set, has completely butchered physics. If you've played any other version of the game the jumping will immediately seem "off", some of the already tooth-grating platforming is rendered even worse as such, and in the final boss fight against the Queen? You can't stay on the platform. It will constantly shift you around and kick you off into the lethal spike pit. The game's end boss is rendered next to impossible because of butchered physics.

However, for $3, the version of EWJ2 it comes with is perfectly serviceable, and the soundtrack bonus download is a must-have.

Now I'm looking at the Descents and MDK's and pondering what I want to spend. My only experience with MDK 1 was the demo, which I couldn't even complete on the easiest difficulty because of the first railshooting section, I just got blown up every time. What's the difficulty curve like on those games, and what are my odds of getting anywhere if I couldn't beat the demo?

And what's the consensus on the Descent games, first is the best?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't even remember rail-shooting sequences in MDK.

As for Descent...Descent 1 is a solid, straightforward, fast-paced zero-gravity shooter. Descent 3 adds more storyline, more interesting and varied levels, and a wider weapon selection, and is generally a bit less hectic. I'd say both are easily worth $3 each.

Descent 2, on the other hand, keeps the basic Descent 1 gameplay and doubles the number of weapons, but is brought down by quite awful level and enemy design. It's worth at least trying, but I just could not enjoy it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My problem with Descent 2 is the huge obtrusive guidebot. They really streamlined that in Descent 3; especially loved that you could plain disable it.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
My main concern in games is an engaging story. Obviously the Fallout games fit that bill, but what else would I like in that list?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Giants and Sacrifice both have amazing stories

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

My problem with Descent 2 is the huge obtrusive guidebot. They really streamlined that in Descent 3; especially loved that you could plain disable it.

In D2 you can at least just not release the guidebot.

Of course, then you find out that most of the levels are confusing rabbit warrens and the guidebot is practically mandatory.

And then it aggroes the entire level and, since robots can open doors in D2, leads them right back to you...

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Thiefbot. :argh:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is the multi in the Descent series co-op? If so, which is the best?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Exioce posted:

My main concern in games is an engaging story. Obviously the Fallout games fit that bill, but what else would I like in that list?

Planescape Torment generally seems to be held as the highest caliber example of storytelling in games, even if the actual gameplay is questionable.

I never played Giants back in the day but picked it up out of curiosity a while back. Quite frankly the gameplay has aged HORRIBLY, but it's got an interesting sense of humor.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
A lot of good games on sale today. Sacrifice was rather nice, and when I played Brutal Legends a few years ago, it struck me how similar both are (not a bad thing, as I loved Brutal Legends). Doesn't help that they both have Tim Curry.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I never played Giants back in the day but picked it up out of curiosity a while back. Quite frankly the gameplay has aged HORRIBLY, but it's got an interesting sense of humor.

Yeah, I'll second that after playing it for the first time about half a year back. The humour is great, but the gameplay not so much. If only there were cheats, I would power through the game just to complete the story.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I would love to see stats for how much money the "You might also consider..." sidebar makes them, because that thing is a bastard.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Planescape Torment generally seems to be held as the highest caliber example of storytelling in games, even if the actual gameplay is questionable.

Except that Planescape Torment isn't on sale today (despite being originally published by Interplay). :confused:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sacrifice is an amazing game. At 3 bucks you can't afford not to buy it. Too bad the multiplayer sucked.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Just a warning, Sacrifice can only do Vert- widescreen(Meaning it cuts off the top and bottom). You'll probably want to play pillarboxed if you have a widescreen monitor.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Hey are Invictus, Lionheart and Shattered Steel any good?
Gonna get Conquest of the New World because I loved that you could name mountains and rivers that you discovered in the game when I was a kid. :3:

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Palpek posted:

When I played it, it didn't grab me. I wouldn't recommend that you pick it up.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
What games in this sale would you guys recommend not getting?

I already picked up Fallout 2 (already had the first one), the Descents (I remember playing the demo for one of them years and years ago and enjoying it, even though it kicked my butt), the Freespaces, Giants, and Super Hornet.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Eh! Frank posted:

What games in this sale would you guys recommend not getting?

Just off the top of my head: Earthworm Jim 3D suffers from a lot of the problems of early 3D platformers; Invictus I've never played, but I remember getting lots of mediocre-to-bad reviews back in the day; Kingpin is just a bit rubbish all around; Lionheart is pretty much Fallout set in an alternate-history Europe with a shitton of terrible design decisions; and Stonekeep is just sort of mediocre as an Eye of the Beholder-like game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Lionheart is fantastic for the first third of the game, and then it's pretty much entirely grind-y combat.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Don't get F/A-18E Super Hornet if you're on Windows 7. They didn't put it on the compatibility for a reason, it just crashed for me and looking on the game's gog forum it seems some people have gotten it working but not every well, so just a heads up!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Looking at Messiah and Sacrifice right now, but recently bought Painkiller Black and Spellforce Platinum which both seem too similar to the purchases I'm looking at now (and I also have yet to really play either of them). Should I go for it anyway?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Megadyptes posted:

Don't get F/A-18E Super Hornet if you're on Windows 7. They didn't put it on the compatibility for a reason, it just crashed for me and looking on the game's gog forum it seems some people have gotten it working but not every well, so just a heads up!

Awwww, dammit. I really wanted that one too.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
How is Shattered Steel? The average user rating isn't so hot, but I'm a sucker for mech games, so I'll probably pick it up anyway.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Looking at Messiah and Sacrifice right now, but recently bought Painkiller Black and Spellforce Platinum which both seem too similar to the purchases I'm looking at now (and I also have yet to really play either of them). Should I go for it anyway?

Those are all very different games.

Painkiller Black is an awesome balls to the wall Doom-esque first person shooter.
Spellforce is a heavily rpg inspired somewhat bland RTS.
Sacrifice, while also an RTS, is superior in many ways, plays via 3rd person over the shoulder perspective, and has a well done original setting and story.
Messiah is a game I haven't played, but by most accounts is gimmicky and slower paced than Painkiller if you're looking for a dose of FPS gameplay.

At the very least, I'd suggest you get Sacrifice. Hell, I would put that as among the first games anyone should get from GoG.

Bo-Pepper fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 20, 2011

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

thepopstalinist posted:

Lionheart is fantastic for the first third of the game, and then it's pretty much entirely grind-y combat.

This can't be stressed enough. The first part of the game is a really well done RPG in the vein of Fallout, lots of quests, great characters and a reasonably engaging storyline all set in a really fun setting: Renaissance Europe if magic and fantastical creatures were unleashed into the world.
Think Shadowrun set several hundred years in the past.
There's a lot of "cameos" by Machiavelli, Da Vinci, Torquemada, Don Quixote and dozens of other cool, anachronistic characters that really provide a fun twist to the old fantasy tropes.

BUT

After the first portion of the game (which can be ten to fifteen hours or so) the game whips a 180 and turns into a Diablo grindfest with almost zero development or meaningful characters or quests. This may be allright for some, but if you built your character expecting a game like Fallout where you can talk your way though situations or use stealth to get through combat... you're hosed.
It's just samey, bland combat throughout the rest of the game.

That all being said, for a couple of bucks you're going to get the first third of an incredible game... and two thirds of a real steamer.
For the price, you should absolutely check it out, but know what you're getting into.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

BeanBandit posted:

How is Shattered Steel? The average user rating isn't so hot, but I'm a sucker for mech games, so I'll probably pick it up anyway.

It's the first Black Isle game!!!! :holy:

But no really it's a kinda neat mech shooter, but flawed even for 1996 standards. I'd get it just to give it a quick look and donate to GoG in the process.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Welp, there goes 45 dollars.

Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader
Earthworm Jim 1 + 2
Messiah
Sacrifice
Descent + Descent 2
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Fallout
Fallout Tactics
Freespace + Expansion
Freespace 2
MDK 2
MDK
Redneck Rampage Collection
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division
M.A.X. + M.A.X. 2

At least I think I won't regret buying any of those.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Actually

scamtank posted:

It's the first Black Isle BioWare game!!!! :holy:

which is much less exciting.

Meanwhile, I think I've pared it to down to Giants CK, Descent 3 + Expansion, and Sacrifice. If I'm missing out on a classic by skipping Shattered Steel, Evolva, or Messiah, now is the time to tell me how wrong I am.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Messiah is a bit broken. If you possess a policeman, all the police trust you, but if you run into some police who are shooting some monsters and you try to help by pulling out your gun and shooting the monsters too, as soon as the fight is over, the police turn on you for using a weapon.

I got upto the last boss when I was really young and the game was okay, but it really needed a few tweaks to make it "good".

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dammit I'm going to end up buying Sacrifice aren't I?

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

This can't be stressed enough. The first part of the game is a really well done RPG in the vein of Fallout, lots of quests, great characters and a reasonably engaging storyline all set in a really fun setting: Renaissance Europe if magic and fantastical creatures were unleashed into the world.
Think Shadowrun set several hundred years in the past.
There's a lot of "cameos" by Machiavelli, Da Vinci, Torquemada, Don Quixote and dozens of other cool, anachronistic characters that really provide a fun twist to the old fantasy tropes.

BUT

After the first portion of the game (which can be ten to fifteen hours or so) the game whips a 180 and turns into a Diablo grindfest with almost zero development or meaningful characters or quests. This may be allright for some, but if you built your character expecting a game like Fallout where you can talk your way though situations or use stealth to get through combat... you're hosed.
It's just samey, bland combat throughout the rest of the game.

That all being said, for a couple of bucks you're going to get the first third of an incredible game... and two thirds of a real steamer.
For the price, you should absolutely check it out, but know what you're getting into.

So it's Fallout for the first 1/3 and Diablo for the last 2/3? That actually sounds pretty appealing to me.

KJR
Dec 26, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Dammit I'm going to end up buying Sacrifice aren't I?

So it's Fallout for the first 1/3 and Diablo for the last 2/3? That actually sounds pretty appealing to me.

The problem is it's Diablo with lovely, unpolished combat.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

C-Euro posted:

I may have been a bit to kind when likening it to Diablo. The combat system is competent in Lionheart, but it's not nearly as exciting or fast-paced as Diablo.

I suppose the grind-happy back half of the game isn't completely terrible, but if you didn't know about it beforehand, you could make a real gimpy character that has no chance of surviving unending combat.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
No love for the Redneck Rampage Collection? You FOOLS. :colbert:

Maybe it's because I actually bought them back in the day, but they're most likely the most underrated FPS games of the 90s.

For less than $6, you get 3 awesome Build-engine shooters, (that are right up there with Blood and Duke3D, in my opinion) and the Cuss Pack which makes the dialogue hilariously vulgar, where you have to help Leonard and Bubba find their prize pig Bessie who's been abducted by aliens and then find they're way back home to Hickston. You drink beer, whiskey, and moonshine to steady your aim and regain health, but if you drink too much, everything becomes too blurry to see, let alone shoot. Taking the occasional piss helps your alcohol meter go down a bit too.

You can also eat moon pies and pork rinds for health, use chicken crossbows, ripsaws, and alien bra guns, visit swamps and carnivals, go for motorcycle rides, and fight poo monsters.

This video shows a small part of the first level, and I can't watch it without laughing.

Why are you still reading this? If you love DOS shooters, buy it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I think I'll be conservative and just get a few games.
Fallout 1/2 - $6
Descent 1-3 - $12
I shall be strong and resist Freespace 1 due to having FS2 and the FS1 mod (and FS1 discs on my shelf).

I'm on the fence about Messiah and Sacrifice. I picked them up in a 2-pack as Fry's some 6-10 years ago, but ended up loaning them to a buddy who I never got them back from due to backlogs and forgetting. I'm not sure I want to spend another $6 on two games I already paid $10 for and never touched.

SUPER EDIT: In my nostalgic defense, I already have both MDK's and Redneck Rampage from previous sales.