Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loquitor
Dec 29, 2007
non res ipsa loquitor

Kash posted:

I intend to find a shop to play both models, but generally what are people's opinions on the American vs Japanese Fenders? Would the American be worth the extra money, or could I be perfectly happy with the Japanese?

Obviously if I compare some in a shop and the AS blows me away compared to the CIJ I would have to find the extra money somehow. I would prefer not to have to cow-tow to the price hikes, but I also don't want to be disappointed.

I have a Japanese Fender 62 Strat, one of the slightly more expensive models with American made pickups, and to be honest it sounds and plays pretty much identical to an American made (in my completely amateur opinion).

I've not played the Tele's or any Strats with Japanese pickups, but I've never heard anyone say a bad word about them.

I'm assuming that the price is for a brand new guitar, cos that would be way more than I'd pay for a second hand one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

A question for any drummers out there, I have a five year old boy and a set of kid drums. Is there a good way to introduce the two? Maybe some simple exercises or games I could teach him to get him started?

Ideally I want him to burn off extra energy, while learning something fun. Any pointers are appreciated.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out a guitar issue.. I recently just inherited a guitar and its wonderful, except for one problem. After playing for periods for more than 10 or so minutes of normal play I notice my fingers start grinding on the dots on the fretboard, which are for some reason, not even with the fretboard. Check it ou in the picture here:

Is there anything I can do to make these dots level with the fretboard? It's quite annoying for such a nice guitar. Thanks everybody!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Weird, it looks like there used to be inlays there but they fell out or were taken out for some reason.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Saw that on a guitar once after it had gone through some extreme and rapid temperature changes. Are they all gone though? That would be a bit odd. Cheap and easy fix, but for clean work and correct glue use it's best to have a tech do it for you.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The right way to fix it would require pulling the frets gluing in the new inlays and sanding them level to the board.
I could be done with out pulling the frets and refretting, but it is a pain in the rear end especially at the higer frets.
You have to sand with the grain in between the frets.
You might be able to do it with some careful pre-sanding to thickness and then scraping level with a razor blade.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
So since I am not familiar enough with guitar tech to do actual work myself, I called guitar center (where I purchased it) and they directed me to Ibanez to ask about the manufactuer warranty. They don't pay for shipping there (which could be like $30 I'm assuming).. and they said they would replace the guitar.

Eh, guess I have to get it done for it to be comfortable!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I r Pat posted:

So since I am not familiar enough with guitar tech to do actual work myself, I called guitar center (where I purchased it) and they directed me to Ibanez to ask about the manufactuer warranty. They don't pay for shipping there (which could be like $30 I'm assuming).. and they said they would replace the guitar.

Eh, guess I have to get it done for it to be comfortable!

If you can get it on warranty repair, I say go for that.

But if that fails, an alternative option is finding a local guitar shop. I guarantee there's a luthier in the area who will do it in a day or two.. and it shouldn't be too expensive.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
I have a question about getting creative with music making.

How do some of you more expert music makers get inspiration for songs?
Right now I'm in a snag where I can't figure out what kind of music to make, and how do I make my songs more than 30-40 seconds long.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Who says songs can't be 40 seconds long?

e: I realize that's a little unhelpful, I mean to say that if you're sitting there going, "Hm well usually songs are about 3mns or so, gotta write a song about that long" and you're streching/compounding what you've already got to fit that criteria, you're going about it wrong. If you feel you've expressed your idea effectively in 42.6 seconds, go for it.

Songwriting is a tough thing to explain. About 99% of the time I feel as you do though, where it's like "I want to create a thing but I don't have any subjects to explore." Don't try to force stuff. It's that 1% of the time where you are watching TV/movies/people/whatever that you think, "That's neat, I'm going to take that idea and play with it."

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 15, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's in that 40 seconds? Is it a 40 second loop? Or is a "complete" song, with verses and a chorus?

Composition is a tough subject, and certainly isn't a "small question". The most common advice is going to involve analyzing songs that sound like the music you want to make, and use what you learn to build out your own song. The hard part is knowing what information to look for when studying a song, and I've never found a good explanation for how to do that other than "do it a thousand times and you'll figure it out".

I've always found making songs much, much more difficult than playing instruments.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
In the first solo of this song, he's playing what sounds like a whole note bend from the 24th fret of the high e-string. As he's playing a Gibson Les Paul which I believe only has 22 frets, how does he do this? Is there some kind of trick like fretting the pickup or something?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Maybe he has an octave pedal?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Boz0r posted:

In the first solo of this song, he's playing what sounds like a whole note bend from the 24th fret of the high e-string. As he's playing a Gibson Les Paul which I believe only has 22 frets, how does he do this? Is there some kind of trick like fretting the pickup or something?

He bends the neck. Or more likely, the LP is for ridiculous music vids and he used something else when recording.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

the wizards beard posted:

He bends the neck. Or more likely, the LP is for ridiculous music vids and he used something else when recording.

Yeah this. He probably used another guitar for recording. Never assume the guitar they use in the video is the one they used on the recording.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Couple stupid amp compatibility questions. I've been playing acoustic lately with a mic'd setup going to a mixer, then into an Acoustic AG60, which is an awesome four input 2 channel amp. I've been messing around on electric and am finding it irritating going to another room to plug into the half stack.

The AG60 has sounded great with everything I've mic'd into it, and even run audio line-out signals through it, but would running an electric or keyboard signal into it do any long term damage?

Further along the same lines, would I do any damage if I grabbed my Marshall head and run the speaker 4/8ohms line into the AG60? My head has an emulated line out too for recording if the signal intended for a speaker cabinet would be too much.

Basically will I hurt my acoustic amp using it like a PA? Thanks in advance folks.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
If I want to take a sample of say, the vocals from a song, how would I go about getting it without the instruments and the rest of the music with it? Can I gently caress with the levels in the mixer to filter out the stuff I don't want?
Completely new to this and want to try my hand at mashing some songs together.

My relatively weak googling skills leads me to a way of removing the vocals using Audacity, but it doesn't go into how to remove the instrumentation instead. Other than that, a bunch of karaoke programs say they'll do it, but they cost money. I have Audacity so if that'll be my best bet if someone knows just what to do. :)

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 19, 2011

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

What meter is it when you're counting a measure out as a pair of triplets and then a pair of eight notes?

(1-2-3) (1-2-3) (1-2) (1-2)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

...wouldn't it still be common time?

I'm not awake yet.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Allen Wren posted:

...wouldn't it still be common time?

I'm not awake yet.

no

I don't think so. 10 eight notes per measure. 6 of em in a triplet feel, the other 4, quick duples.

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 19, 2011

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

The Bananana posted:

no

I don't think so. 10 eight notes per measure. 6 of em in a triplet feel, the other 4, quick duples.

If I'm understanding you correctly, 5/8?

vv The way I read his notation was as 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-1-2 as all 8th notes which would be a bar of 5/8. If he actually means triplets as opposed to 3 8th notes then it's standard time.

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 19, 2011

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah, but a triplet is one beat divided into three notes.

^^ Yeah, after reading your post and then rereading his I see what the deal is. Now to find some goddamn caffeine and shut up before I say more stupid poo poo on the internet.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 19, 2011

DrChu
May 14, 2002

revolther posted:

Couple stupid amp compatibility questions. I've been playing acoustic lately with a mic'd setup going to a mixer, then into an Acoustic AG60, which is an awesome four input 2 channel amp. I've been messing around on electric and am finding it irritating going to another room to plug into the half stack.

The AG60 has sounded great with everything I've mic'd into it, and even run audio line-out signals through it, but would running an electric or keyboard signal into it do any long term damage?

Further along the same lines, would I do any damage if I grabbed my Marshall head and run the speaker 4/8ohms line into the AG60? My head has an emulated line out too for recording if the signal intended for a speaker cabinet would be too much.

Basically will I hurt my acoustic amp using it like a PA? Thanks in advance folks.
DO NOT run the speaker out of the Marshall into the line in of the AG60, that would be a disaster.

You can run a regular signal into it no problem, some things just won't sound so great (like, if the AG60 has a tweeter distortion on a guitar could get pretty harsh).

If you can run the Marshall without a speaker cabinet attached (if its solid state you should be ok), then you could run the emulated line out into the AG60 and it should work fine.

revolther
May 27, 2008

DrChu posted:

DO NOT run the speaker out of the Marshall into the line in of the AG60, that would be a disaster.

Thanks, I definitely would have run it into the mixer as an intermediary to (theoretically) avoid blowing anything big as I figured the normal line out might do that, appreciate it.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

A question for any drummers out there, I have a five year old boy and a set of kid drums. Is there a good way to introduce the two? Maybe some simple exercises or games I could teach him to get him started?

Ideally I want him to burn off extra energy, while learning something fun. Any pointers are appreciated.

Here's what I'd do:
Getting him to copy you would be a good introduction, with him on his drums and you on some similar sounding pots and pans. Better yet, just vocalise the sounds and rhythms for him to copy. Once he's comfortable with coordinating his hands, get him to practise keeping the beat with a song he likes and see how it goes from there.

Good work starting your kid early, if he turns out to be a drummer he'll love you for it when he's got 10 years of practise down at 15. I wish I'd picked up a guitar while I still had the capacity and free time to get really good.

vv- No, they're 8th notes so the | denotes each beat:

code:
1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 1 2
|   |   |   |   |
5 beats, 5 "quarter" notes (though they're not because it's a bar of 5 so call them crotchets) and 10 "8th" notes (quavers).

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 19, 2011

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

A shrubbery! posted:

If I'm understanding you correctly, 5/8?

So then, if this were the case, does that mean that my 10 eighth note phrase of 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-1-2 would be split into two measures?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Wouldn't it be 10/8? Four beats, two compound and two simple

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009

I don't have a music degree or anything so I might be proven wrong, but 10/8 would be 5/4 which isn't the same. I don't know enough about notation to describe the differences between 5/4 and 5/8 though, so here's a link.

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 19, 2011

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'm also kinda guessing here, but 10/8 and 5/4 shouldn't be the same (like how 3/4 and 6/8 are different, 3 simple beats versus 2 triplet beats). If the pattern was 1-2-3 1-2 1-2-3 1-2 you could call it two bars of 5/8, but with 1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2 1-2 the second compound beat would be split across the the two bars.

This 10/8 example looks like the same pattern actually, down at the bottom
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/16

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 19, 2011

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

baka kaba posted:

I'm also kinda guessing here, but 10/8 and 5/4 shouldn't be the same (like how 3/4 and 6/8 are different, 3 simple beats versus 2 triplet beats). If the pattern was 1-2-3 1-2 1-2-3 1-2 you could call it two bars of 5/8, but with 1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2 1-2 the second compound beat would be split across the the two bars.

This 10/8 example looks like the same pattern actually, down at the bottom
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons/16

So then it is 10/8 time?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I think so but I'm not a doctor!

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Does anyone know how to make a MIDI track in Cubase control a pitch shifter in Amplitube? I've been trying to get it to work for hours but I haven't gotten into all the little things in both programs.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

The Bananana posted:

So then it is 10/8 time?

That depends on whether those triplets are real triplets or if their just 3 eighth notes barred together. An actual triplet is the same length of time as a quarter note. So if it takes just as long to play the 1-2-3 1-2-3 part as it does to play the 1-2 1-2 part then no, its in common time.

agent johnson
Jun 15, 2011

by T. Finn
Hi,

I've got Garageband on my mac and i've just started loving around with it. It's good fun but the selection of drum, synth and bass samples is pretty limited. I'm looking for a recommendation about some good value sample packs that I could purchase/download with some high quality, professional sounding samples. Any recommendations?

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
The most frequent complaint I get when mixing is that my mixes tend to sound a little "flat". Exactly what is meant by the adjective "flat" when referring to a mix?

The volume levels of the instruments are too close and nothing particularly spikes or stands out?

The EQ is too much around the same frequency in general and the mix doesn't have much punch sonically?

Something else altogether?

Also what is the main cause of a flat mix? I'm thinking I'm probably mixing too loud and therefore I'm constantly bringing things down, trimming EQ too much, and getting rid of essential louder instruments/sounds/frequencies which apon a first listen may sound great... but instead I am just over-producing it to death (?)

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

The Cleaner posted:

The most frequent complaint I get when mixing is that my mixes tend to sound a little "flat". Exactly what is meant by the adjective "flat" when referring to a mix?

The volume levels of the instruments are too close and nothing particularly spikes or stands out?

The EQ is too much around the same frequency in general and the mix doesn't have much punch sonically?

A combination of both, I'd say. Lack of transients due to overzealous compressing/limiting, undefined low end, no sparkle/air in the high registers. Basically an unexciting mix.

The Cleaner posted:

Also what is the main cause of a flat mix? I'm thinking I'm probably mixing too loud and therefore I'm constantly bringing things down, trimming EQ too much, and getting rid of essential louder instruments/sounds/frequencies which apon a first listen may sound great... but instead I am just over-producing it to death (?)

Does reference material (like a well-produced record you like) sound good on the monitors? You can use that for mild global EQ settings to make up for any deficiencies in your control room's acoustics.

Then be sure not to turn up the volume too high when you're still setting up your basic mix or you'll tire your ears too soon. Try mixing at a sound level where you can still hear yourself talk without raising your voice to a shout.

Listen through different setups, like a regular home stereo, car system, computer speakers, headphones. When you've done that a few times you will know what to avoid in future mixes without having to run to your car all the time.

Only then you can start playing at much louder levels, but I'd definitely not make any big changes at that time anymore. For some people stereo spreading is easier to hear with the volume up, so perhaps save that for last.

When I hit a dead end now and then, I take a good break and start again with a clean board.

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

Re the 10/8 vs. 5/4 discussion:

Which you would use would depend on which division of the whole note sounded like the "pulse." In something fairly quick, the pulse might be on the quarter note, whereas in a slower piece the pulse might be on the eighth note. Of course, outside of tempo, genre and style are considerations, and the composer's intentions would ultimately indicate which meter you selected.

That being said, 10/8 is not a very common meter and would probably be represented instead by two measures of 5/8. Of course, if the whole rhythmic scenario above represents one phrase or idea, it might be best to use 5/4 and fit in all in a measure, depending on the material it is played against and also the earlier considerations regarding genre and style...

So basically, as with many things in music, theory will give you a context about how things should work or how the rhythm fits into a meter, but once you understand the available contexts you can choose which to implement based on your intentions with your composition. (I guess I mean, you shouldn't think there is just one answer to "what meter is this rhythm in?" because the one you choose will depend on what you are going for. This is assuming that you are trying to write something, and not listening to something and trying to figure out the meter. In that case, post an audio sample so we can identify the pulse.)

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r7jfKdBzy0&t=4m36s

Originally it was two sets of triplets followed by 4 eighth notes, so the values for the beat are different. I would say that's 4/4. But it immediately brought to mind this song. Two measures of 5/8 with alternating emphasis in this video.

| 123 12 | 12 123 | 123 12 | 12 123

For shits and giggles I made this real quick. It's the 123 123 12 12 in 4/4

You could also make it a measure of 6/8 followed by a measure of 2/4 if you wanted all the same value for each note.

Power_13
Jan 10, 2007

mama mia!
Thanks again for the help with the laptop. I eventually went for a Sony Vaio VPCEB4E4E, threw a firewire expresscard into the slot and went from there.

Just another slight problem though. There's a lot of background noise when I plug my keyboard (Roland E09) in. My setup is instrument - Focusrite Saffire LE - 6-pin to 6-pin firewire cable - firewire expresscard - laptop. Other instruments are fine. My Fender Esquire picks up some of the noise when I hold it close to the Saffire, and my mic will get the same buzz when I turn the phantom power off, but it's only the keyboard background noise that will cause practical problems.

I've tried different power points and moving the Saffire and keyboard away from each other, using different cables and different sample rates. The only other change is that I've gone from using 4-pin firewire into the laptop to 6-pin, which means it has extra wires for power supply (I'm still using the Saffire's separate power supply). Is there any way these extra wires could cause the issue and if so is there a way to cut them out of the chain, or would going back to my original cable and using a 4-pin to 6-pin adaptor on the laptop side fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headrest
May 1, 2009
I noticed that when I tune my guitar, all the open strings sound perfect. But when I start to play up the neck, it sounds out of tune. In fact, just playing a string on say, the third fret, I can significantly bend the pitch just by pressing harder on the string. What could be causing this and how can I fix it?