Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

My coworker took delivery last week (ordered it in March I think) of a WRB 2011 WRX Hatchback and finally brought it in to work tonight. So pretty, so jealous.

That being said, I still like the styling of the older wagons better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

daslog posted:

Edit: I just gave him some poo poo about his answer. He claims that he meant you have to use Subaru brand oil for the Foresters because you can't find the Subaru Forester oil anywhere else.

There is nothing special about Subaru oil - it's just another brand with a dealer markup

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cat Terrist posted:

There is nothing special about Subaru oil - it's just another brand with a dealer markup

Actually, the cost of it is pretty reasonable. It's the same cost as Rotella 5w40 that I'm putting in the '02.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

I highly recommend 5w40
It is worth noting that this is actually in the manual.
Yes, the filler cap says 5-30, but the manual says 5w-30 for loving cold to like 100F and 10-40 for about 30F to roughly infinity.
5-40 is just the best of both worlds. They just don't make dino 5-40 and I think subaru wanted to keep average cost of ownership figures down (hence the original 7500mi on dino juice rec).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

nm posted:

It is worth noting that this is actually in the manual.

Actually, it's not anymore.

In the 2011 owner's manual addendum, they make it clear that 5w30 is the only weight oil you should be using in the car. They say you CAN use 5w40 and (i think) 10w30 if you can't get 5w30 synthetic, but the next oil change must be back to 5w30.

I can grab a scan of that page later on tonight if anyone wants to see it, but the language is pretty much the same as it is for anything less than 91 octane. You can use it if you have no other choice, but you should switch back to the recommended with the next change.

Because of the change and the fact that I don't know of any decent 5w30 synthetic oil locally, I'm just going to keep using the subaru synthetic while I'm in the warranty period. I'll probably switch to the Rotella 5w40 once the warranty is done, but for now that would actually give them grounds to deny a warranty claim if I routinely used it since it is not the correct oil according to the maintenance schedule.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 20, 2011

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Because of the change and the fact that I don't know of any decent 5w30 synthetic oil locally, I'm just going to keep using the subaru synthetic while I'm in the warranty period. I'll probably switch to the Rotella 5w40 once the warranty is done, but for now that would actually give them grounds to deny a warranty claim if I routinely used it since it is not the correct oil according to the maintenance schedule.

I'm doing the same thing for the same reason. Subaru oil, filter and 3500 mile changes leave no room for them to argue.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It would annoy me, but I have a Subaru dealer closer to my house than any auto parts store and the oil costs the same as the Rotella anyways.

Bonus is I have a nice invoice from subaru stating what I bought and it's in their computers as well. So, there's really no question of what was used.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

bull3964 posted:

It would annoy me, but I have a Subaru dealer closer to my house than any auto parts store and the oil costs the same as the Rotella anyways.

Bonus is I have a nice invoice from subaru stating what I bought and it's in their computers as well. So, there's really no question of what was used.

It's their burden to prove that you didn't use appropriate oil anyway. You think that they wouldn't still try to weasel out of a new motor if they didn't want to replace it? All they'd have to say is "driver abuse" and refuse the warranty repair. Use whatever oil you want to, they're not going to do a chemical analysis on it to match it to subaru branded oil.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Amandyke posted:

It's their burden to prove that you didn't use appropriate oil anyway. You think that they wouldn't still try to weasel out of a new motor if they didn't want to replace it? All they'd have to say is "driver abuse" and refuse the warranty repair. Use whatever oil you want to, they're not going to do a chemical analysis on it to match it to subaru branded oil.

I think you are confusing the issue. This isn't about Subaru branded oil, it's about the right weight of the oil.

5w30 synthetic is the only oil weight approved to use on turbo Subarus from 2011+. Period. If you do not use a 5w30 synthetic, they can deny any warranty claim on engine internals out of hand.

They flat out have to prove abuse. However, if I can't prove that I used the correct fluids according to the maintenance plan, my warranty is void. Again, it doesn't have to be the Subaru branded oil, but I would have to prove I used a 5w30 synthetic.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

bull3964 posted:

They flat out have to prove abuse. However, if I can't prove that I used the correct fluids according to the maintenance plan, my warranty is void. Again, it doesn't have to be the Subaru branded oil, but I would have to prove I used a 5w30 synthetic.

Strictly speaking, the same burden of proof for them proving abuse carries over to everything else warranty related as well. Granted it's something that they can actually test for in the case of oil. And it makes it somewhat more fluid to have the paperwork showing that you purchased 5w30 synthetic oil. But it's still up to Subaru to prove that you used something other than 5w30 synthetic.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I somehow managed to miss this thread but I own two Subaru's, a 11' Legacy that I purchased for my wife, and now an 06' Outback XT limited that I just picked up last week.

I have always been a Subaru fan so it's nice to have both of our cars be safe and reliable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Amandyke posted:

Strictly speaking, the same burden of proof for them proving abuse carries over to everything else warranty related as well. Granted it's something that they can actually test for in the case of oil. And it makes it somewhat more fluid to have the paperwork showing that you purchased 5w30 synthetic oil. But it's still up to Subaru to prove that you used something other than 5w30 synthetic.

Honestly though, showing up with zero or incomplete maintenance records is really all the proof they need.

Anyways, the point I was trying to make is it doesn't really make sense not to use the Subaru Synthetic if you have a dealer close by. I believe some people have done a UOA on it and it fairs pretty well. It's comparable in price to other synthetics. And Subaru has a record of when and what you bought which will help, however so little, if you have to make a warranty claim.

If you are doing anything that needs a better and fancier oil, you are likely doing something that will instantly void the warranty anyways.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Regeared the car in February from 4.11 to 4.44 with an FXT gearbox. Speedo/odo is off. Now that I got cash, I need to convert it. The VSS is three wires, I should be able to splice in some kind of converter box. Anyone got any recommendations? Would be sweet if I could adjust it to my gravel size too and be supper accurate as well for TSDs.

This is what my initial hunting around found:
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=126/category_id=287/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd126.htm

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cat Terrist posted:

Who wouldnt have a Forester STI in a blink?

At this point, it looks and functions like a small SUV / crossover. I just don't think many people who Subaru NA is aiming it at would want it to be lower / more hardcore.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

How difficult is it to replace a fender liner? My front driver's side is pretty much shredded from the PO

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

VolumeBroadcast posted:

My sister has an automatic 09 XT and I can say its actually a blast to drive. Haven't ridden in a new outback so I cant give my .02 there, but if she wants something extremely versatile its hard to beat a forester XT.

Edit:

Am interested in this as well. I have been trying different oils with every change, and am now just back to using the SOA stuff. I will look into the Rotella oil for my next change.

What year is your car? I've got an 09 WRX and Rotella T6 has been amazing. Like 10k oil change interval amazing and it still has life left in it according to Blackstone. I'll send you the test reports if you want, just drop me a PM.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

JayKay posted:

How difficult is it to replace a fender liner? My front driver's side is pretty much shredded from the PO

Not hard.

The fender liner is held in by plastic clips.

You'll break some of them. Get a box of replacements. I have no idea what the gently caress they're called, but I had some heavy duty ones I put in after I ripped my liner off and twisted my fender.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Cat Terrist posted:

Must be something to do with "the idiot who brought her 2011 Forester in and it had a Valvoline sticker with Synth-Blend. With the wrong Filter."

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Slow is Fast posted:

Regeared the car in February from 4.11 to 4.44 with an FXT gearbox. Speedo/odo is off. Now that I got cash, I need to convert it. The VSS is three wires, I should be able to splice in some kind of converter box. Anyone got any recommendations? Would be sweet if I could adjust it to my gravel size too and be supper accurate as well for TSDs.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=126/category_id=287/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd126.htm

Swap the reluctor ring from your old transmission and do it the right way.

E: Sucks because now I think you're going to have to remove the whole trans again. Hope you kept the old one.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 21, 2011

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Were there any engine changes from 2010 to 2011 on the WRX that prompted to change to synthetic? I've just been getting the regular recommended oil when I get get it changed at the dealership for my 2010.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DrChu posted:

Were there any engine changes from 2010 to 2011 on the WRX that prompted to change to synthetic? I've just been getting the regular recommended oil when I get get it changed at the dealership for my 2010.

It allowed them to put the recommended OCI to 7500 miles. That's the only reason for the change.

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--

Cat Terrist posted:

Well the 04 was certainly a good deal more than the quoted power of 210 hp - yep we get the 09 at 190isk Kw, the newer XT however certainly isnt that much now.

I still say the 04 XT was the single car where I never thought it needed more power. Christ almighty it's holeshot ability was unbelieveable. No wonder Subaru backed it off for the 05 and never made the XT as close to outright performance to the WRX again.

You've got me confused here. I was under the impression that the 04 and 05 Forester XT were the same, while 06 and later were downgraded.

If there was a change between 04 and 05, what was it?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

FecalFajita posted:

You've got me confused here. I was under the impression that the 04 and 05 Forester XT were the same, while 06 and later were downgraded.

If there was a change between 04 and 05, what was it?

05 was closer to it's published power and a few more doodads to weigh it down.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Lowclock posted:

Swap the reluctor ring from your old transmission and do it the right way.

E: Sucks because now I think you're going to have to remove the whole trans again. Hope you kept the old one.

No way in hell those plastic sensors would have not shattered into a million pieces when I did the swap in February. I need something adjustable for tires anyways and I don't want to put a rally computer in yet.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

In the ever maddening quest of one man to fix his Subaru....

The problem came back, got out and immediatly checked the passenger side AVCS plug. And what do you know it was water fouled. How, I dont know. Clean it off, car runs again. Back home, dry plug, no problems.

I got the feeling I am onto something here finally

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Slow is Fast posted:

No way in hell those plastic sensors would have not shattered into a million pieces when I did the swap in February. I need something adjustable for tires anyways and I don't want to put a rally computer in yet.

It's a metal gear-looking wheel inside the trans, I don't know what you're talking about shattering.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I'm starting to notice quite a loud chattering noise when using the clutch when the WRX is cold. It goes away after 5 mins of driving. It happens whenever the clutch is not either fully depressed or fully released.

Throw out bearing? Is this common? Just hit 5000 miles.

There are no dealers nearby, getting it fixed is going to be a pain in the rear end.

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--

Cat Terrist posted:

05 was closer to it's published power and a few more doodads to weigh it down.

I know the 05 has power seats, a ECU that isn't interchangeable with the 04, and they offered the limited trim with the 5spd option.

But what was changed to lower the power? The factory tune? Anything mechanically?

FecalFajita fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 21, 2011

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Slow is Fast posted:

I used that one when I swapped a new speedo into my Mercedes, worked great.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Slow is Fast posted:

You'll break some of them. Get a box of replacements. I have no idea what the gently caress they're called, but I had some heavy duty ones I put in after I ripped my liner off and twisted my fender.

People usually call them "pop-its" but they're technically nylon rivets. Search around and you can find replacements. Get a door panel tool and you shouldn't break any though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My local Lowes has a drawer full of automotive fasteners.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

bull3964 posted:

My local Lowes has a drawer full of automotive fasteners.

Mine doesn't. Surprisingly, the only stores around me with the most automotive clip things is OSH.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm looking for some new fender liner rivets too, but the plastic bit of the fender liner that the pop clip goes into is actually what's torn on mine.

I was told auto body supply shops usually have 'em, but I was kind of hoping for some online supply shop of them where I could just order a kilogram and never have to worry about it for the rest of my life.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

FecalFajita posted:

I know the 05 has power seats, a ECU that isn't interchangeable with the 04, and they offered the limited trim with the 5spd option.

But what was changed to lower the power? The factory tune? Anything mechanically?

Factory tune. They went from being a 13.8 0-400m car to a 14.2 0-400 m car, That doesnt sound like much but it's enough to juuuuuust bring them back to the WRX and allow the WRX when it got the 2.5 to jump ahead again. If you jump into a 04, you will notice the difference.

Thinking of an 06 - dry AVCS plug, no issues. Plot does indeed thicken

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

sanchez posted:

I'm starting to notice quite a loud chattering noise when using the clutch when the WRX is cold. It goes away after 5 mins of driving. It happens whenever the clutch is not either fully depressed or fully released.

Throw out bearing? Is this common? Just hit 5000 miles.

There are no dealers nearby, getting it fixed is going to be a pain in the rear end.

My RS did the same thing. Chattering going into gear when cold. Went away when I did the clutch job. Usually it's the throw out bearing. Odd that it would be doing that on a new car.

Choadmaster posted:

I used that one when I swapped a new speedo into my Mercedes, worked great.

Thank you. I'll be ordering one of these. Got a TSD at the end of July that I need to get dialed in for.

The cool thing about the 04 FXT's (USDM at least) was that it was pretty much a few things away from an STi motor. I want to say same block with different heads, not sure exactly. You can slap on the VF39, STi ECU, STi top mount, and STi upipe. Pair all that up with a stock 4.44 gearbox and you've got a toaster that hauls rear end using other peoples hand me downs.

an audible groan
Jan 2, 2005
NICE TRY SUCKER
About to go check out a pretty reasonable looking bugeye WRX at a subaru dealership tomorrow. The price is decent, but it has 120k miles and the carfax says nothing about timing belts or really any service heavier than oil changes and a cv boot, so it makes me wonder. What's the service interval supposed to be for the timing belts, and how much do they usually cost? I live in north texas, if that makes a difference.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm looking for some new fender liner rivets too, but the plastic bit of the fender liner that the pop clip goes into is actually what's torn on mine.

I was told auto body supply shops usually have 'em, but I was kind of hoping for some online supply shop of them where I could just order a kilogram and never have to worry about it for the rest of my life.
Will of these do?:
http://stores.ebay.com/idarco
Doesn't look like they have Subaru, and I dunno if the unit price is that great for you.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Still no wet plug / car problem. Actually got a glint of hope now the problem is found

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

an audible groan posted:

About to go check out a pretty reasonable looking bugeye WRX at a subaru dealership tomorrow. The price is decent, but it has 120k miles and the carfax says nothing about timing belts or really any service heavier than oil changes and a cv boot, so it makes me wonder. What's the service interval supposed to be for the timing belts, and how much do they usually cost? I live in north texas, if that makes a difference.

I really don't know if stuff like that will show up on a carfax report. Timing belt change interval is 105k miles.

If there's no service documentation that the timing belt change was done, assume it hasn't been. It may be the reason it was sold in the first place. A full timing belt, tensioner, waterpump, pulley, coolant change at the dealership costs around $900 or so. This should factor into the price negotiations.

Otherwise, the car is a ticking time bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

bull3964 posted:

I really don't know if stuff like that will show up on a carfax report. Timing belt change interval is 105k miles.

If there's no service documentation that the timing belt change was done, assume it hasn't been. It may be the reason it was sold in the first place. A full timing belt, tensioner, waterpump, pulley, coolant change at the dealership costs around $900 or so. This should factor into the price negotiations.

Otherwise, the car is a ticking time bomb.

Also have them do the usual compression test/leak down if you get serious about buying it.