Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Can I get Vance Gentry through two years of development without exploding?

I was hoping against hope nobody would see Gentry or they'd put the high overall non-shortstops ahead of him because of the health number or something. Ended up hitting my failsafe option, took Wilton Carney at 8 even though he's probably unsignable since everyone else in the top tier was gone (what a mediocre class overall), so I'll either get Glen Little Lite or my pick back:

I did get a couple guys I thought would go in the mid-first in the supplemental - for the level of draft this was, I was pretty happy here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Big time bat with Merrick.

It's funny; I didn't see Carney or most of the pitchers that went in the first half of the first round, but I see Gentry. I guess that scouting budget went to the right place!

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I didn't see anyone signable worth a top pick except Gentry and David Parrott. Merrick was my fifth ranked player overall (in order I had Gentry, Parrott, Carney, Fogg, Merrick) and I thought there was a decent chance I'd end up taking him at 8; imagine my surprise when he shows up at 35. Draft ended up being real heavy on HS pitchers I couldn't see at 20 college/6 HS, ah well.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I took over a terrible, mismanaged team in Aaron. I have this deal available:

I'm Monterrey. I get:

He gets:

I think this is a fairly even trade, but would really hurt my pitching depth. Here is my current rotation:

I have Johnny Holland in AAA, but he needs at least another year to grow (the last owner apparently loved to rush prospects to the ML squad). Here is Holland.

I like Maranon more than Holland, but the owner is set on winning the WS this year, and wants Maranon for his bullpen. I'm not sure if the offensive boost from Guillen is worth cost of a good young pitcher, but I love his bat. Holland has a great GB/FB rating and great pitches, but that control makes me want to puke. What say you?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

AlleyViper posted:

So for those that didn't see, Pecota's 80-82 RC&C team won the world series. He also exacted some goon vengeance in the process, defeating the team that knocked me out of the playoffs.

And the one that knocked out gardenald too! I'm still kind of in shock that it actually happened, since I expected my only halfway decent playoff pitcher to be Sandy Koufax, and I think he lost every one of his starts. But Gaylord Perry became like an avatar of Shiva or something. I'm also up 2-1 in the first round of the TOC with the team, it's time to see just how far my luck can take me there.

Thanks Scrotos!

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

And the one that knocked out gardenald too! I'm still kind of in shock that it actually happened, since I expected my only halfway decent playoff pitcher to be Sandy Koufax, and I think he lost every one of his starts. But Gaylord Perry became like an avatar of Shiva or something. I'm also up 2-1 in the first round of the TOC with the team, it's time to see just how far my luck can take me there.

Thanks Scrotos!

I can't believe I coughed up another division lead in the last days of the season. :sigh: Congratulations anyway!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
It's gradually getting better but I really wish I knew what was going on with my Macho Man stamina

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

AlleyViper posted:

It's gradually getting better but I really wish I knew what was going on with my Macho Man stamina

My macho man stamina is crap too, and I am not sure why.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Holy poo poo holy poo poo everyone in Two-Man Band check this game: http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=14984733&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=1

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Well look who I found in an OL?

AlleyViper

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

toadee posted:

Well look who I found in an OL?

:ninja:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

If anyone is looking for a random HBD world to join, CubsWin has a few openings and has gone public to fill them (this is not unusual...after checking in with previous owners and seeing who's coming back and who's not, they'll make it public to fill quicker, then go back to being private...lather, rinse, repeat). Both dryb (the lucky bastard that runs Tacoma in Dimaggio) and myself are in the world, which seems to be fun and drama-free. Also I have a squad that's going to murder everyone over the next 10 seasons or so.

Come join us!

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Is there anything Addie can't do? http://whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=14989973&pid=1&pbp=0

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I have no interest joining this league but one of you should join and post a few boxscores on occasion.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Groucho Marxist posted:

I have no interest joining this league but one of you should join and post a few boxscores on occasion.

Paging MDP

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Groucho Marxist posted:

I really want to join this league.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

Scrotos posted:

Paging MDP

quote:

In this league we will bash the pitchers. all pitchers will be 200k. For the hitters you will have a 140M to spend on position players.NO AAA, NO WW,YES TRADES. All teams will be coors field so we can bash the pitchers even more so. see you on the diamond.

That's clearly an MDP alternate account

e: the last "see you on the diamond" is the best part

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Nah if it was my league I'd bump the payroll up so you could get Highball in there

It sounds awesome but I've spent all my money on HBD

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Are you already out of your ToC money?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

AlleyViper posted:

Are you already out of your ToC money?

I have some left, but I'm saving that for the next season of goon league/progressive

I mean if everyone else joined this league peer pressure would force me to do it I suppose

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The $110m WISC theme was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

The $110m WISC theme was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

There are a lot of good candidates.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

There are a lot of good candidates.

I thought of one dude immediately and the team worked out perfect (except for having to play one guy out of position but that should go okay) so I'm not even running through anything else.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

FWIW, of the five or six guys I looked at before I got bored when I first vetted the team, this was the best of those that I looked at

Speaking of getting bored, none of the themes in this round are grabbing me like round 1 last year. Give me some HoJo cloning drat it!

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I have very slightly better hitting and very slightly worse pitching, and more PA/IP.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I'm really hating the 70m theme. Not because it's difficult but just because it's bland as gently caress. Similar leagues, like the GM challenge or Double Albatross, at least had several variables to consider. This is just strictly comparing one team to another until you've had enough. Meh.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

AlleyViper posted:

I'm really hating the 70m theme. Not because it's difficult but just because it's bland as gently caress. Similar leagues, like the GM challenge or Double Albatross, at least had several variables to consider. This is just strictly comparing one team to another until you've had enough. Meh.

Sounds like a job for a computer!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I really hope I make it into this league (twist any year, but it's the 43rd season and once one's used it's blacklisted). I have no idea what these guys are thinking with choices like the 2004 Royals, and I think I found a good choice in the 1912 Pirates. C and 2B will be offensively weak and my 3B will either be a C/D- 2B or a C/A- OF, but the pitching is ridiculous and those are pretty minor faults when literally 40%+ of all teams are blacklisted.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Hey everybody, it's walkoff win day.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Are we ready to start #WiS book club yet?

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

kensei posted:

Are we ready to start #WiS book club yet?

I have my copy finally, I don't know if there was anyone other than me you were waiting on

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I think it is just you, ZJ and me.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=14996810&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=1

:geno:

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

kensei posted:

I think it is just you, ZJ and me.

bob ordered the book as well, last i heard he hadn't received it yet but that was at least a week ago

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Zamboni Jesus posted:

bob ordered the book as well, last i heard he hadn't received it yet but that was at least a week ago

It's not like we are in a rush, but I do want to read this.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I'll leave it to everyone else to figure out how I fit this into the WISC $110m theme.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Speaker was one of the very first guys I looked at, too.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Speaker was one of the very first guys I looked at, too.

Basically the only other guy I considered was Eddie Collins, who gives you access to Ed Walsh and Shoeless Joe but not Babe Ruth and a lot of the other pitchers.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

I'll leave it to everyone else to figure out how I fit this into the WISC $110m theme.
How are you squeezing Eddie Collins on that team?

E: I guess he played in '28 but didn't get enough PA to be in the sim league roster, which still makes him available? That's clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Basically the only other guy I considered was Eddie Collins

Collins is the guy that I currently have a build with though I haven't touched in in two weeks or something.

• Locked thread