Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Pr0phecy posted:

I'm looking to remember the name of a painter.

Things I know.

-May be French
-Black and white pictures
-His paintings are stories which contain 5 slides.
-Some of his topics are about the rise and fall of prostitutes and one was about the marriage of a poor and rich family.
-Absolutely FILLED with small details. You could watch one of his paintings for hours and find new stuff.

Some of the details are off, but I think you're after William Hogarth. Your fourth point matches A Harlot's Progress and Marriage à-la-mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Honestly, exposed film that's been sitting anywhere but a freezer for ten years is going to be pretty much useless. You might get some interesting latent images, but I don't know if that's worth your money. Walgreens is pretty much the cheapest around, even the online sites charge $10/roll + shipping generally.
Were there ever cameraphones that used film instead of being digital?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I want to get something printed in movie poster size...and it would appear that there are tons of sites that do it.

Any recommendations as to which ones are the best?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

randyest posted:

Of course not, don't be ridiculous. (He was answering Rick's question, not feedmyleg's)

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

randyest posted:

Only one that I know of.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

stubblyhead posted:

Of course not, don't be ridiculous. (He was answering Rick's question, not feedmyleg's)
Oops, my bad. Thanks for the clarification. It was worth it for the flight of the conchords reply above though :)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Honestly, exposed film that's been sitting anywhere but a freezer for ten years is going to be pretty much useless. You might get some interesting latent images, but I don't know if that's worth your money. Walgreens is pretty much the cheapest around, even the online sites charge $10/roll + shipping generally.

I have had a few rolls in the freezer and some in the fridge. You'[re probably right though most of it is probably toast.

I guess the advantage of Walgreens is they don't charge for duds.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Where can I get the MGS "alert" noise that enemies make?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
This is probably a stupid question, but it just occurred to me, how the hell do we have photos of the Milky Way? I mean we can only take photos from Earth and satellites, but I doubt we could have a satellite which goes light years out. Or maybe I'm just stupid and every photo we have is an artist's representation or something.

change my name posted:

Literally two seconds of googling dude.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5qbcRAXVk
Just record stereo mix with Audacity if you want to use it as a ringtone or something.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Megaspel posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but it just occurred to me, how the hell do we have photos of the Milky Way? I mean we can only take photos from Earth and satellites, but I doubt we could have a satellite which goes light years out. Or maybe I'm just stupid and every photo we have is an artist's representation or something.

These are the only types of photos we have of the milky way:

We're inside the disc of the galaxy, but this picture is looking inwards to the galactic center. Any image you see of a whole galaxy titled "Milky Way" is an artist's representation.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Mak0rz posted:

These are the only types of photos we have of the milky way:

We're inside the disc of the galaxy, but this picture is looking inwards to the galactic center. Any image you see of a whole galaxy titled "Milky Way" is an artist's representation.

We can take images from 360 degrees and reconstruct an astronomically accurate image.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006

Disappointing egg posted:

Some of the details are off, but I think you're after William Hogarth. Your fourth point matches A Harlot's Progress and Marriage à-la-mode.

YESSSSSSSS. Big thanks, especially after all the details I got wrong.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

cosmicjim posted:

We can take images from 360 degrees and reconstruct an astronomically accurate image.

Of the inside of the Milky Way as seen from Earth, yes. This isn't contradictory to what I already said.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Just expanding the answer, that outside of the milky way images are more than just an artist's interpretation.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Why is the majority of information I can find on apartment complexes all second-hand information? And difficult to find?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

silversiren posted:

Why is the majority of information I can find on apartment complexes all second-hand information? And difficult to find?

why don't you call the apartment complex manager with your questions?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

change my name posted:

http://www.phonezoo.com/ringtone/81342050/metal-gear-solid-alert-.htm

This lets you download directly.

e: Oh, apparently you need to have an account to download to your PC or phone, but it's free so whatever.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
what's that site like youtube doubler but has a really long name

like youuuuuuutuuuube.com or something?

I have no idea how to find it on google.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://yooouuutuuube.com/ ?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

the posted:

what's that site like youtube doubler but has a really long name

like youuuuuuutuuuube.com or something?

I have no idea how to find it on google.

http://www.yooouuutuuube.com/v/?width=240&height=180&yt=XbIhdEAEE8M&flux=0&direction=bottom_left

This is what you're lookin for.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Is there a way I can use one computer connected to a wireless network as a hub to connect a computer without a wireless adapter? I didn't pick one up for my new PC because I'm moving pretty soon and it will live near the router. My Laptop is running Windows 7 Home Premuim and the other computer is running Ubuntu (at least until I get my windows disc in the mail)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Captain Novolin posted:

Is there a way I can use one computer connected to a wireless network as a hub to connect a computer without a wireless adapter? I didn't pick one up for my new PC because I'm moving pretty soon and it will live near the router. My Laptop is running Windows 7 Home Premuim and the other computer is running Ubuntu (at least until I get my windows disc in the mail)

Yes, you can connect the two computers with an ethernet cable and then set up Internet Connection Sharing to do this.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
What's the easiest way to convert an .mkv file so that my xbox can play it? Note: I don't want to stream it.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheAngryDrunk posted:

What's the easiest way to convert an .mkv file so that my xbox can play it? Note: I don't want to stream it.

Hamster Video Converter is the easiest for me. I have no idea whether it's the best for bits and rates and compressions and what have you.

Tostito
Sep 5, 2007

life is good
May a french speaker please translate "the white shadow", and "the white tattoo"? Thank you.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tostito posted:

May a french speaker please translate "the white shadow", and "the white tattoo"? Thank you.
l'ombre blanche

and

le tatouage blanc

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008
I just bought an auto insurance policy with USAA (based in part on good reviews on SA). But when I printed out the actual insurance card, it says the insurance company is "GARRISON PROPERTY AND CASUALTY INSURANCE COMPANY"

What gives??

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Why is so much attention being given to Gabriel Giffords? I understand she is someone important, and the people in her district will care a lot, but people get shot every day. There are thousands out there who have gone through more than she has gone. How about the rest of the victims who got shot?

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010
They aren't members of Congress...

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

b0nes posted:

Why is so much attention being given to Gabriel Giffords? I understand she is someone important, and the people in her district will care a lot, but people get shot every day. There are thousands out there who have gone through more than she has gone. How about the rest of the victims who got shot?

Because most people who get shot are poor and/or black, not photogenic congresswomen with astronaut husbands.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Because most people who get shot are poor and/or black, not photogenic congresswomen with astronaut husbands.

Also, quite frankly, most people that get shot in the head like that don't recover.

Admittedly, this is usually because they don't have access to the kind of care Giffords has had, nonetheless, it's pretty remarkable how well she's doing.

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

But mainly because those people are not members of Congress or high-profile government officials. Which none of the other people who got shot that day in Tucson were. And people are interested in how she's recovering from a bullet to the head too.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

b0nes posted:

Why is so much attention being given to Gabriel Giffords? I understand she is someone important, and the people in her district will care a lot, but people get shot every day.

Are you retarded? She was shot in the head, but I feel like she's still more intelligent than you.

Hint: It's important because she's a member of Congress.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
and because there aren't mass murdering sprees every day. The fact that an insane man entered a building and started shooting innocent people based on some delusion in his head makes the fact that Giffords is overcoming this enormous tragedy slightly newsworthy, wouldn't you say?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jeffrey Colon posted:

and because there aren't mass murdering sprees every day. The fact that an insane man entered a building and started shooting innocent people based on some delusion in his head makes the fact that Giffords is overcoming this enormous tragedy slightly newsworthy, wouldn't you say?
I thought it happened in a parking lot?

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Yeah, looks like it was in the parking lot. All this time I thought it was inside the Safeway.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

b0nes posted:

Not many people have assassination attempts against them; even fewer survive. The word "assassination" does carry a certain weight.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

gp2k posted:

I just bought an auto insurance policy with USAA (based in part on good reviews on SA). But when I printed out the actual insurance card, it says the insurance company is "GARRISON PROPERTY AND CASUALTY INSURANCE COMPANY"

What gives??

Call them up and ask what the gently caress. Their phone support is excellent.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

gp2k posted:

What gives??

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/newsroom_factsheets_main USAA might have to use one of their family companies in your state to provide your coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Golbez posted:

Not many people have assassination attempts against them; even fewer survive. The word "assassination" does carry a certain weight.

Assassination is only really applied to "important" people though, isn't it? You never really hear about everyday people getting assassinated.