Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

poser posted:

I have back to back games on Sunday, any suggestions for good between games?

Coconut water. It's all natural, perfect for replenishing electrolytes and has more potassium than a banana. It can come flavored but will be more expensive than gatorade. It'll be the same price at Whole Foods as you would pay for a gatorade from a rink vending machine though.

Alizee posted:

I think I will be going with a full cage. Every cool bro bone in my body says get a visor, but I'd rather be cool 95% of the day with my face looking nice and my eye sight being good than be cool 100% of the time and then get a puck in my face and look like a troll. :)

Visors protect better than you think they do. They sit very close to your face and come really far down. I've been high-sticked countless times and the stick always catches on the visor. Not that you can't get hit in the jaw, but it would take almost a perfect scenario for a stick blade or puck to make its way up there and hit you in the eye, and even then, your orbital will still do a drat good job of protecting your actual eyeball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

bigmike posted:

Visors protect better than you think they do. They sit very close to your face and come really far down. I've been high-sticked countless times and the stick always catches on the visor. Not that you can't get hit in the jaw, but it would take almost a perfect scenario for a stick blade or puck to make its way up there and hit you in the eye, and even then, your orbital will still do a drat good job of protecting your actual eyeball.

This is assuming you are wearing your helmet correctly. Everyone I see wearing a visor wears their helmet so drat loose that the visor is higher up than it should.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Thanks for this. I'm definitely going to give these a shot. Did you do anything else for it when you were off the ice, like icing the tendon or anything? Or is it just a matter of letting the healing process do its thing?

Other than that, probably just ice it. Friction therapy (rubbing across the tendon) might help - this is what I do for my jacked up patellar tendon all the time - but I'd talk to a doctor or a PT before you go crazy on it.

D C posted:

Same size as the last 3 pairs of my top level Bauers, Supreme 8090, Vapor XXXX, and the TotalOnes are all 10EE, and the last pair is the only Bauer skate thats given me any sort of discomfort.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it has to do with not sacrificing enough sticks to the hockey gods or something. Seems like when skate problems crop up they come out of left field and last for damned ever. To get back in their good graces, you must do suicides for 15 minutes and then watch Slap Shot three times in a row while drinking Molson, Labatt, and Moosehead respectively.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 20, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Thanks for all the advice guys, the one think I learned is that I'm way out of shape and need to work on that.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have a round puck-shaped bruise on my rear end-cheek from blocking a shot on Saturday. I really think I need new pants...

Also, last night we kept the all-ringer team to 3 goals and 20 shots. It was the first time throughout the whole season their shot total has been that low. Their first goal was lame/wicked too. Cannon slapper from behind the blue line that was a top shelf laser. Sick scrub league shot bro :hf:

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I just bought a pair of Skate Fenders online. Anybody have any experience with these? I'm playing defence for the first time this summer and I've already taken a few shots on the foot, thankfully none of them that bad. I'm hoping these will cut down on the pain.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Sexy Randal posted:

I just bought a pair of Skate Fenders online. Anybody have any experience with these? I'm playing defence for the first time this summer and I've already taken a few shots on the foot, thankfully none of them that bad. I'm hoping these will cut down on the pain.

I know a guy who wore them all the time and the one time he didn't of course he took one in the foot and broke it lol. If you're planning on getting in front of a lot of shots then it's probably a good investment.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

bigmike posted:

But what if I get a puck in the mouth and it ruins my charming smile :qq:

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

Surfing Turtle posted:

I know a guy who wore them all the time and the one time he didn't of course he took one in the foot and broke it lol. If you're planning on getting in front of a lot of shots then it's probably a good investment.

I didn't even know what skate fenders were but I looked them up and surely no amount of protection is worth looking that dorky.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Besides, couldn't you just invest the ludicrous price of the fenders into getting a better skate that gives more protection without looking ridiculous?

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Nick Cage posted:

I didn't even know what skate fenders were but I looked them up and surely no amount of protection is worth looking that dorky.

Nonsense! Does this gentleman look dorky to you?

I think not :colbert:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Wolfy posted:

Besides, couldn't you just invest the ludicrous price of the fenders into getting a better skate that gives more protection without looking ridiculous?
There's no skate on the market that will take slapshot after slapshot to the skate's quarter. If you take enough shots there (maybe even one) it will eventually crack.

I thought about buying some. I'm all about looking cool, but my skates were pretty expensive and I don't want to buy and break in a new pair.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

coldwind posted:

There's no skate on the market that will take slapshot after slapshot to the skate's quarter. If you take enough shots there (maybe even one) it will eventually crack.

I thought about buying some. I'm all about looking cool, but my skates were pretty expensive and I don't want to buy and break in a new pair.
Plus since you're a Detroit person you can be safe in some knowledge that they were invented by a guy outside Detroit and the first NHL team to use 'em were the Wings.

Which kind of makes me not want to buy 'em, but like you my skates were expensive and I kind of like not having broken feet.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Wolfy posted:

This is more to protect the top of the foot/tongue area which there isnt anything there to protect you from a shot. Maybe a piece of plastic and the padding on the tongue. The guy that broke his foot was wearing X:60s he wasn't exactly wearing low end skates. Took the shot clean on the front/top part of the skate.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Surfing Turtle posted:

This is more to protect the top of the foot/tongue area which there isnt anything there to protect you from a shot. Maybe a piece of plastic and the padding on the tongue. The guy that broke his foot was wearing X:60s he wasn't exactly wearing low end skates. Took the shot clean on the front/top part of the skate.
Skate fenders it is then.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Wolfy posted:

Skate fenders it is then.

I never said you had to get them lol. Just saying what they were for. If you've ever taken a shot to the foot I'm sure it hurts. I have had some blocks on the side of my skates that hurt so I could imagine a straight hit to the tongue/top foot area would do some damage.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Surfing Turtle posted:

I never said you had to get them lol. Just saying what they were for. If you've ever taken a shot to the foot I'm sure it hurts. I have had some blocks on the side of my skates that hurt so I could imagine a straight hit to the tongue/top foot area would do some damage.
Not at all I was just saying I understand their usefulness now, regardless of how silly they look.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
First round inline playoff exit tonight, 5-4 loss, would of been nice to win to get an extra two games. I really need to get the rest of the gear to play ice, way too hot to be playing indoor inline when its 80-90* outside, even warmer inside.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Game tonight, got 6 goals and something like 3 assists. The game was beautiful, we passed very well and set up all kinds of plays around the net. We ended up winning 18-4. We were up 11-0 until halfway through the second half when our defense started to ease up.

I got slashed pretty hard on the wrist and had my stick broken shortly after. A small price to pay for a hot night.

Verman fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 21, 2011

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Alizee posted:

But what if I get a puck in the mouth and it ruins my charming smile :qq:

Mouthguard. They work too. About the worst facial injury I've had was taking a slapshot off the visor. The visor got pushed into my face and the lower edge split my lip wide open. It was so hard that there was a gash in the rubber of my mouthguard. My face and teeth were fine, but I did have to go to the hospital after the game for some stitches on my lip.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

bigmike posted:

Mouthguard. They work too. About the worst facial injury I've had was taking a slapshot off the visor. The visor got pushed into my face and the lower edge split my lip wide open. It was so hard that there was a gash in the rubber of my mouthguard. My face and teeth were fine, but I did have to go to the hospital after the game for some stitches on my lip.

I have caught a puck under the chin, and I was wearing a full cage. Hurts like hell when it happens but no damage. I would still always wear at least a visor but I prefer a cage as I can see better. But those people that cut a full cage into a cage visor is too far, that just looks :downs:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Finally pulled the trigger on the Combat 52 Cal. The Internet says this thing is 15 grams lighter than a TotalOne and the X60 (my current stick), and that thing is almost too light for me.

Got it for $140 shipped, if this thing is even close to as good as The Internet thinks it is it should be hell of a value.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

bewbies posted:

Finally pulled the trigger on the Combat 52 Cal. The Internet says this thing is 15 grams lighter than a TotalOne and the X60 (my current stick), and that thing is almost too light for me.

Got it for $140 shipped, if this thing is even close to as good as The Internet thinks it is it should be hell of a value.

How long do these sticks last? I'm down to my last $40 clearance stick (one of those Bauer rebrand jobs that Hockeygiant had a shitload of for well below what their identical sisters cost) and have been really hesitant about dropping $100+ on a new one. poo poo better last a year.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Nick Cage posted:

Hockey pants look dorky as poo poo. Come on. The thigh-high woolen socks with the padded shorts over them look stopped being cool in the 1700s. Looking dorky is generally > getting injured. There are very few exceptions to this (old-school Joffa helmets) and they're only exceptions because you have other options.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What are you talking about? Hockey pants are core as hell.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

I'm a dork dork dork I'm a huge old dork, dork dork dork dork dork dork dork
What a silly little man.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockey has one of the best looking uniforms of all sports. :colbert:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

Hockey has one of the best looking uniforms of all sports. :colbert:

It totally does - but you can't tell me that the first guy to put shorts on top of his woolen stockings didn't get some funny looks. :)

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
So my summer league already pushed back the start date by a week because they didn't have their poo poo together. We're supposed to start Sunday and they were supposed to post the schedule and rosters this past Monday but...:effort:

edit: emailed the director about when we'd get the info and he said "probably today"

Thufir fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 23, 2011

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Verman posted:

Game tonight, got 6 goals and something like 3 assists. The game was beautiful, we passed very well and set up all kinds of plays around the net. We ended up winning 18-4. We were up 11-0 until halfway through the second half when our defense started to ease up.

I don't know if I would refer to a 18-4 game as beautiful, even if you were on the winning side. I've been on the winning and losing side of those games, and they stop being fun after the first period for both sides.

bukowskiyouth
Sep 25, 2007
Does anyone have any techniques to get your hockey equipment to not smell like death? My gear is starting to get so bad it fills up large rooms, and spraying febreeze and Lysol on it only makes it worse.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

bukowskiyouth posted:

Does anyone have any techniques to get your hockey equipment to not smell like death? My gear is starting to get so bad it fills up large rooms, and spraying febreeze and Lysol on it only makes it worse.

Hang it up to dry in a well ventilated area as soon as you get home.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Habibi posted:

How long do these sticks last? I'm down to my last $40 clearance stick (one of those Bauer rebrand jobs that Hockeygiant had a shitload of for well below what their identical sisters cost) and have been really hesitant about dropping $100+ on a new one. poo poo better last a year.

It depends. I've only broken one composite stick in half in a lot of years of using them, and I'm not too delicate with my sticks. I've been using the same X60 for about 6 months now and it is doing just fine. Usually the first thing to go is the blade, and when that happens you can always continue to use the shaft.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah

Thufir posted:

Hang it up to dry in a well ventilated area as soon as you get home.

Definitely this. I take my gear out as soon as I get home and it never has a bad odor, at least nothing you would notice without holding it right up to your nose. I give it the odd febreeze from time to time but then my teammates make fun of me because I smell like a grandma.

The odd time I've forgotten to do so (maybe twice in four years) it smells like fresh hell the next game.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

bukowskiyouth posted:

You should be airing the equipment out and allowing them the fully dry. What I do for my goalie stuff and hockey gear in general is spray with febreeze antimicrobial and my helmet/mask with lysol. Put them on the wet rack and let them dry. It is really important to let the stuff air out and dry properly.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

bukowskiyouth posted:

If you can, let it air outside. Just keep it out of direct sun light because, over time, your stuff will start to fade in colour. It might not matter for elbow pads and stuff like that, but you don't want to be playing with brown coloured pants.

My pants are red, so I definitely try to keep it out of the sun. I get enough grief for playing with red pants, I can't imagine the ribbing I would get if I had pink pants.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just remember that no matter how much you Febreeze your gear, air it out, soak it in Oxiclean in the bath tub, it will always smell like death next time you wear it.

I've given up on washing my stuff. It smells just as bad after the next game.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just remember that no matter how much you Febreeze your gear, air it out, soak it in Oxiclean in the bath tub, it will always smell like death next time you wear it.

I only air out my gear (no Febreeze or whatever), and my gear never smells like death when I put it on the next game.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I think the key is you let the gear air out and completely dry. Leaving it out in a closed off room then wearing it again the next day while still wet wont work. It will still smell like poo poo if anything worse if it doesn't dry out properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You have to keep up with it.

My stuff doesnt smell like rancid death (it actually doesnt really smell at all). I play inline in 80º heat frequently so I get really sweaty. When I get home, I put all of my stuff in my porch area, pull it out of the bag and open the windows so that it gets fresh air.

The jock and foot socks get washed every time in my laundry, at the very least brought into the shower with me and rubbed down with anti bacterial body wash. My jerseys generally go a few sessions between washes unless its gross for some reason.

I have the Reebok 4k shin guards which have removable knee padding and has made a huge difference, they get pulled out after every game to dry out. The shin is also mesh which doesnt allow sweat to sit and fester. Every few weeks, I will throw those knee pads into the laundry, spray the shinguard shells out with a hose.

My stuff smells pretty fantastic. Gloves still smell like newish, I hate wet gloves so I usually take them off when Im on the bench. Keeping them dry keeps the smell out.

I think having a system of keeping your stuff aired out will keep it from developing a stink. Plus, once its there, you cant get rid of it. The older your gear gets, the worse its going to smell. Things like gloves and shinguards and skates will be the worst offenders in your bag because they tend to get the wettest.