Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
That is so many lasers , all for me :dance:

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

oh god, Star League era Flashman :swoon:

Uberjew you are in one of the badassest mechs there is, but watch out for that loving side torso armor. You've got no hand or lower arm actuators, so you can flip your arms and shoot backwards if it starts getting thin in front. In fact the designer probably expected you to need to do this, as one of your medium lasers is helpfully rear-mounted already.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Well, hopefully this won't go as bad as the last part of this mission went... Wonder if the Hell's Horses will get any advantages for how well they did there or just for winning. If you guys could have pulled the victory out, would there be any advantage for the ComStar forces here?

As I'm not familiar with any of these Mechs at all, I'll just wait to see how this plays out. With the stats and weapon loadouts being thrown around here, it should be a pretty shooty fight, just the way I like watching. Though I guess the EM interference something here (the HPG station?) is giving off will make shooting quite a bit harder here... Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Also, it looks like the those unknown quads the Hell's Horses are fielding should be those Ponymechs you guys bandied about earlier. Can't wait to see what those will be capable of.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 21, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Taerkar posted:

Cluster rounds are at a -2 penalty?

Oh, you mean on the cluster table, okay.

Hopefully he's only talking about missiles and not LBX autocannons. If it is LBX autocannons, then that thing's putting out enough of an electromagnetic field to affect the pellets in-flight...

That's Bad.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have no insider knowledge, but I fully expect there to be hidden assets in this fight. You know, maybe some Elementals? We've yet to see a scenario where Poptart didn't pull out at least one surprise midway.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Hopefully he's only talking about missiles and not LBX autocannons. If it is LBX autocannons, then that thing's putting out enough of an electromagnetic field to affect the pellets in-flight...

That's Bad.

My fillings! :gonk:

Looking forward to the next scenario. Mostly I just want to see a gauss rifle or clan ER PPC make a headshot.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

That's Bad.

The Clans wanted to be sure that nobody living within a 20 mile radius could ever produce more Freebirth scum.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Some notes:

1. You basically have two elements here: a four-mech cavalry force consisting of the Flashman/Lynx/Starslayer/Exterminator, and then a heavy assault element with the other two units. Keep those two groups together as much as possible.

2. Try to put the Black Knight a bit out in front of the King Crab to draw fire. In general, the Black Knight is one of the most difficult mechs to kill in existence, and is much more durable than the KGC because of its not having an XL engine (losing a torso with an XL engine in it kills the mech since the torso contains 3 engine criticals, which are destroyed). It isn't the insane long range threat the Crab is, but it is great at soaking damage and dishing it back too.

3. You've got some nice hills to use on the way in - whenever you can, keep next to them with the hill between you and the OPFOR, which will give partial cover. It's already going to be difficult for your opponents to his anything this game because of the special rules, and that extra point might take it from "difficult" to "impossible." Doing this should help you on your approach.

4. Similarly, keep up the speed on your cavalry mechs. Whenever possible, move for 7-8 hexes, or alternately, walk 5 where possible as well. Speed is life. At range, make sure the Exterminator is running null-sig as well - only turn it off in close where it doesn't do any good. With the special rules plus good movement modifiers the fast-movers can stay alive a long time. Something like a Lynx or Starslayer can't afford to only move two or three hexes - you have to keep your speed up to avoid taking too much damage.

5. Kick circles. Use the fast-movers to isolate an enemy mech and kick with 3-4 units at a time. Because of the special rules shooting is more difficult, but kicking is the same as normal, and clanners won't be kicking back right away. Take advantage of that.

6. Fire support. If the cavalry can tie up the OPFOR, and maybe even prevent them from moving well too, the King Crab and Black Knight can comfortably sit at medium range and plink away. There appear to be some hills in the middle of the map that would suit that purpose. If you're going to do this you need to be in partial cover for the extra protection, since you won't want to be moving much/at all with those two mechs if you're going to play the fire support game. It's hard enough to hit as it is. For the King Crab especially, too, you want to be at range. Most of its weapons have minimum ranges, and so brawling is a bad idea. The Black Knight can go and brawl, but only once the KGC's ability to stay at range safely is secured.

7. Target selection. We don't know what those particular quads are like, but barring something insane I can almost guarantee that the Hunchback IIC should be the first target. Why? It packs a very, very serious punch, but also little armor (assuming PTN hasn't changed it). It also isn't very fast. Thus, it's an excellent choice to eliminate first.

8. Remember to focus fire and coordinate movement. 6 on 5 is pretty tricky, so you don't want to make mistakes or leave room for error in terms of downing a mech the turn it needs to be downed. You WILL need to work together to remove targets at any reasonable and useful speed. Use the irc channel to discuss plans, if you need to.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hunchback's gotta die first, no question. Keep out of its effective range and hammer it as a group until it goes down.

After that? Well, the Dervish is a missile machine, so with the interference you can ignore him until last. Hard to say on the quads just yet, but you need to pay attention to what the King Crab shoots at you. If he starts dropping Guass or ER PPCs on you, it probably needs to go second, but if it's only firing LRMs and Lasers, then the gun hands are AC20s of some sort. Since it's soooo sloooow, you should be able to stay out of its range while you back up and deal with the quads.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That King Crab has... a litle different loadout than you think.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

It actually has 2 HAG40s I bet. Just because the Clans hate you and want you to hate them forever.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Fraction Jackson posted:

8. Remember to focus fire and coordinate movement. 6 on 5 is pretty tricky, so you don't want to make mistakes or leave room for error in terms of downing a mech the turn it needs to be downed. You WILL need to work together to remove targets at any reasonable and useful speed. Use the irc channel to discuss plans, if you need to.

You beat me to the punch. Sticking relatively together will also help should any elementals show up to ruin the shooting party.

Since PTN highlighted the 'Pressure' rule, it might be worth it to pull a little Rope-A-Dope before concentrating your fire. Once you break Zellbrigen, they might do the same and before you know it, you'll all be going down one at a time under massed fire.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

MJ12 posted:

It actually has 2 HAG40s I bet. Just because the Clans hate you and want you to hate them forever.

HAGs won't exist for a few decades, but I'm certain it will dish out few harder knoxcks and single-handedly slap around a few Mechs before this mission ends.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I recommend the stuff with the cav, the king crab and black knight should march right for whatever objective comes up. knight screens and kills anything that tries to rush past, crab gives no fucks and murders. you have two optimal ranges with the KGC-001. 7 hexes (short range on the gauss and lrm) and 3 hexes. (one hex out of minimum range on the gauss, don't use lrms, short range on the large pulse and srms.)

When firing this is your order of fire for the kgc. GAUSS RIFLE GAUSS RIFLE LARGE PULSE IF USED/LRMS if used/Srms if used.

also Streak srms are guided missiles, they will not fire and generate heat unless they have a lock on, if they get a lock on they will both hit... except for the field, regardless don't be stupid with your heat and you are fine.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
I just thought of something: could the Dervish IIC be loaded with Streak LRMs?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

considering those do not exist... nope.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Players, please commence with the murdering of robots.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

There are a couple existing mechs that would fit being the basis of a KGC-IIC...and one in particular that's "supposed" to be based on the King Crab. If you're thinking of what I'm thinking of though, it's not going to be all that scary this scenario - the blanket +2 to shooting plus its heat issues will reduce its effectiveness a lot. Also, it's slow without backup weapons, so if it isolates itself the cavalry element can get up in its jibs and kick it to death.

It's contingent on what the quads have, but I would imagine that the "King Crab IIC" is going to be in the middle of the target list, rather than near the top. If the ComStar force was slower overall it would get bumped to near the top of the priority list, sure, but with a mostly quick force plus the artificial penalty to shooting, it just isn't going to be all that effective.

Now, if it shows up with a 1 gunner pilot in it, this all changes...

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

24x Party Cannons with Heavy Confetti ammunition.

An Ammo Hit just means the mech now has a rave happening inside it.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Veyrall posted:

24x Party Cannons with Heavy Confetti ammunition.

An Ammo Hit just means the mech now has a rave happening inside it.

Yeah, but it's a clan rave, so it goes on longer and can have twice as many people before the fire marshal shows up. :regd08:

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
It always bothered me that the Mech we're apparently being coy about doesn't share much at all in common with the King Crab except the way the arms hang - and heat inefficiency, I guess.

I hope it's not one of those. A IIC based on the -010 would be more fun and, frankly, better in most situations.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
From the narrative between last round and now, it sounds like the Hells Horses consider Comstar forces as honor less bandits due to the ship ramming. Does this mean they don't consider planet side Comstar units worth of Zell now?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Anyways, a few quick tips on tech:

Null-Signature System (Exterminator): Nullsig generates 10 heat, provides +1 to hit at medium range, and +2 to hit at long range. Play that to your advantage, and stay at medium range if possible, since your total modifier becomes +5 (1 from nullsig, 2 medium range, 2 from EMI) plus movement, which means that even Clanners are going to be missing a hell of a lot. In this case, your optimal range is 6, where Clan ERMLs and IS MLs are both in medium range, and you can also use your LRM at a mere +1 minimum range penalty. Move around a lot to exploit the nullsig targeting penalties as well.

Streak SRMs (King Crab): These are like SRMs but better. They never actually miss. If you fail your gunnery roll, they just don't fire (and generate no heat and spend no ammo). So in conclusion, you should always be firing your Streaks no matter how high your hit numbers are. Either they do nothing, or they hit and deal some damage.

Anti-Missile System (Exterminator, Flashman): The AMS uses ammo but subtracts 4 from missile cluster hit rolls. Combined with the EMI of the map, basically it means missiles are practically useless against AMS-equipped mechs, since the total cluster hit roll is -6, and there is at least one (optional) rule which says that if the roll is reduced below 2 the barrage does no damage.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nevets posted:

Yeah, but it's a clan rave, so it goes on longer and can have twice as many people before the fire marshal shows up. :regd08:

Wrong, clan raves are bulkier than inner sphere raves and unless held by goliath scorpions contain no alcohol or :catdrugs:

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Don't the clans have, like, straight grain alcohol or something, and that's it? No wonder they're invading the inner sphere. They're trying to recover the lostech of not gross booze.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Felime posted:

Don't the clans have, like, straight grain alcohol or something, and that's it? No wonder they're invading the inner sphere. They're trying to recover the lostech of not gross booze.

we must protect REEDS BREW at all costs.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Felime posted:

That reminds me, when is that Let's Read gonna continue? It was funny as hell.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

The Merry Marauder posted:

It always bothered me that the Mech we're apparently being coy about doesn't share much at all in common with the King Crab except the way the arms hang - and heat inefficiency, I guess.

I hope it's not one of those. A IIC based on the -010 would be more fun and, frankly, better in most situations.

A IIC based on the -010 would be absolutely frightening.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
So what odds do our Mechwarrior elders place on the players chance this round?

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Trast posted:

Given: Comstar tech = IS Tech level 2

The unit ratio is slightly greater than 1:1 in the players' favor, but Clan tech is still better (though not by a wide margin, unlike vs. IS tech level 1). The players may be able to win, but I predict heavy losses (2-3 units at least) for that win. At the very least, they will likely show better results than from part I.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Trast posted:

Without knowing the respective stats on the pilots - or, for that matter, the exact load-outs of the Clan 'mechs as they appear in Technical Readout: Poptarts Ninja, there's no way to give any serious odds.

However, I suspect that things may be... Interesting. I guess it depends on the twists that PTN throws at the players. The environment is pretty hostile, but whom it is more hostile to is, again, a matter of the stats.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Chance II posted:

From the narrative between last round and now, it sounds like the Hells Horses consider Comstar forces as honor less bandits due to the ship ramming. Does this mean they don't consider planet side Comstar units worth of Zell now?

Did the Lola III survive and can it communicate with the ground teams? After all, it's at the jump point, not in orbit. Using the books, it can take upwards of ten minutes to send a signal. All fluff aside, I think that's PTN's call.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I believe the Clan ship only took light damage to one of their engines so they should be fine and able to disparage the bandit scum to all their horse friends.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

It seems very strange that a full kamikaze from a dropship should have so... Little effect. But c'est la vie.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

It seems very strange that a full kamikaze from a dropship should have so... Little effect. But c'est la vie.

Drama reasons. It almost missed, I suppose.

(in Aerotech/StratOps ramming is hugely devastating because damage is (velocity * vessel mass/10) and dropships easily run several thousand tons.

Anyways, I'd take a ComStar Dante up against a Lola III any day of the week. Here's hoping one of them shows up.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

The Lola III runs on Voyager technology, so a reconfigured deflector dish can solve any problem, including dropship collisions at full speed. Fear their vaguely racist command structure!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Well, the ComStar DropShip was a Union-class, which runs 3600 tons and is ~81 meters sphere. The Lola III masses 678000 tons and is 653 meters in length.

Even taking the fact that the Union'd been mostly shot to hell by the Lola III's guns by the point of impact, I imagine it'd still be a lot like ramming an aircraft carrier with a tugboat; sure, go fast enough and you'll poke a hole in the hull, but you're not gonna sink the thing even if you packed your tug full of TNT first.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

It also hit the engines, though. You'd think that would do something. Disable its main drives or something.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

It also hit the engines, though. You'd think that would do something. Disable its main drives or something.

well the Lola probably had its sail furled, and it did lose an engine, but as a warship it has more than one to keep up the speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

It did get engine damage, but as you can see:

it has more.

• Locked thread