Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011

krysmopompas posted:

Throw in the beanie baby collection you've most likely got stuffed under the rear window and you've got a deal.

Wow.. I saw a Zebra painted subaru 2 door one time on craigslist.. I don't have a link to the ad or anything but it was just as eye-melting as this one. Just about the same description too. I bet people that drive cars like that get a lot of speeding tickets and seat belt violations.. How can you run with the other cars around you with a paint job like that. You're supposed to blend in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

SwashedBuckles posted:

Is 'female owned' just another way of saying 'not riced'?

It's a short explanation as to why it's got a big dent in the side :downsrim:

Personally I don't get it. If you want to give people a good impression write down "owned by little old lady who only drove it to church on Sunday" but that doesn't really fit in well with the fact that there's nearly 200k miles on that car. I've known quite a few women who were as high on the "psycho driver" scale as any man, and also a bunch who "had lots of accidents but it's never my fault".

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

SwashedBuckles posted:

Is 'female owned' just another way of saying 'not riced'? I usually take it to mean that nothing other than putting gas in and the bare minimum of maintenance was done, but I may be alone on that one.

Timing WHAT?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

Timing WHAT?
It wasn't cute and I couldn't get it in pink so I didn't buy one ok.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

http://elmira.craigslist.org/cto/2445602300.html

quote:

1991 crx siR
Near-mint condition
B16a1 w/y1 transmission
Less than 20k miles on engine, transmission, less than 2k miles on everything else. I mean EVERYTHING.
Breaking my heart to have to sell it, but I need $.
Needs nothing. Get in and enjoy.

Faster than:
Corvette
Supra
Integra
Camaro
Challenger
Ferrari
Firebird
If you don't believe me, go to youtube.com and watch some of the videos.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

quote:

Faster than a parked:
Corvette
Supra
Integra
Camaro
Challenger
Ferrari
Firebird

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Depending on the generations, I think all those are probably true. Nothing is slower than an emissions-laden C3 Vette or Berlinetta Camaro.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DJ Commie posted:

Depending on the generations, I think all those are probably true. Nothing is slower than an emissions-laden C3 Vette or Berlinetta Camaro.

Oh sure, but you know that's not what he's trying to say.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Turbo the B16 and you would, at 14psi at least.

Hell, I rode in a Crx Si with a DOHC ZC running 8psi and it was pretty scary to drive.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 18, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1997-Subaru-SVX-LSi-Coupe-6-200-OBO-W0QQAdIdZ290301051

Thank god I'm out of my SVX phase
or am I? :ohdear:
Looks clean as hell.

quote:

Super clean, Canadian model, fully loaded SVX LSi. Last year of production = very rare, only 51 '97s were sold in Canada. This is the only '97 I've ever seen and is the best SVX on the market by far.

Power everything, "Rally" style windows, tan leather seats and Escaine swede interior as per the upgraded LSi package. Currently wearing 05 STi BBS wheels and Bridgestone rubber.

Amazing touring car that turns heads everywhere it goes, and with the flat "H" Boxster six 3.3L engine, it makes the same 230 hp as the first gen turbo WRXs, but costs much less.

This vehicle has been babied since day one, and always garage kept. Fully stock and no mods other than Gel cell battery, and ALL fluids replaced with Synthetics within the last year.

I would love to see this go to a good home where someone will appreciate it as the summer driven car it is, and can include the gold wheels for a great price if you're interested. Otherwise I have tons of Subaru guys that want them. Listed price includes stock silver 16s and Michelin tires.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Jesus Christ what the hell is up with those windows? "Rally style"?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

nerdly_dood posted:

Subaru quirkiness

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh man, if I had 6k to play with I would buy that SVX in a second. What a nice clean example of the best year.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

nerdly_dood posted:

The lower part rolls down, the top part does not. Don't know what it has to do with rallying.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 18, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Billy Tully posted:

Oh man, if I had 6k to play with I would buy that SVX in a second. What a nice clean example of the best year.
I usually worship the altar of stock, but I must say those rims just look perfect with that thing too.

Pity that even with the best maintenance on the planet that transmission is probably just one wrong look from making GBS threads the bed.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Rally cars have only little flaps on the windows that open, but that's to save weight by ditching the window mechanism.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

slidebite posted:

I usually worship the altar of stock, but I must say those rims just look perfect with that thing too.

Pity that even with the best maintenance on the planet that transmission is probably just one wrong look from making GBS threads the bed.

I agree about the wheels. They look great on it. Can't the auto be replaced with the manual from a Forrester or something like that? As much as I like things stock I wouldn't want to keep the auto unless there was a permanent fix for it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Billy Tully posted:

I agree about the wheels. They look great on it. Can't the auto be replaced with the manual from a Forrester or something like that? As much as I like things stock I wouldn't want to keep the auto unless there was a permanent fix for it.

Yes. It can and has been done. However, it's more than a little clunky though as they only came in autos so it would be pretty much impossible to do a "perfect" conversion with an appropriate cluster, etc. It can certainly work though, although being a 97 it should have OBDII so I have no idea if that would be a :can: or not.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

nerdly_dood posted:

Late 80's/early 90's dreams of car design. Everything is a round jellybean of glass and steel. See:

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
This claret one on CL is killing me. SVXes received the best paint colors the early 1990's had to offer, like purple and teal.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/2448139567.html

With similar wheels and tint:

TheAtomicMan
May 4, 2007

whats that over there

http://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/2448943238.html

i dont know if i dig that massive of a chop, but im really liking cream puff here.

Blinky Blinkerson
May 9, 2006

TheAtomicMan posted:

i dont know if i dig that massive of a chop, but im really liking cream puff here.

I think that looks pretty awesome, but you know what they say about taking over someone else's project.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The weird SVX windows are actually supposed to be a callback to Subaru/FHI's aviation history; the door handles are weird and aerodynamic too. It was never meant to be a rally/competition car, but more of a grand tourer. They did use one as a pace car for awhile, but I've never seen one in person being used for anything more competitive than driving to and from work. They're monstrously heavy, to the point where you get to replace wheel bearings as part of regular maintenance because it weighs almost 1000lb more than the Impreza the rear hub design comes from.

I suspect they let the guy who did the XT take a few hits on the crackpipe and then go to town with a CAD aerodynamics software package.

edit: Apparently it's a Giugiaro. Subaru hasn't had a good run of hiring Italian designers between that and the ex-Alfa guy they tricked into doing the Tribeca and hawkeye Impreza.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 19, 2011

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

ratbert90 posted:

Turbo the B16 and you would, at 14psi at least.

Hell, I rode in a Crx Si with a DOHC ZC running 8psi and it was pretty scary to drive.

What turbo? psi doesn't mean anything, totally dependent on the turbo. 5psi from a GT2554RS is nothing like 5psi from a GT3076R. Even more, pressure is a measure of what the engine isn't using rather than what it is.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DJ Commie posted:

What turbo? psi doesn't mean anything, totally dependent on the turbo. 5psi from a GT2554RS is nothing like 5psi from a GT3076R. Even more, pressure is a measure of what the engine isn't using rather than what it is.

You are being purposefully obtuse, but yes, you are correct. It was a turbo from a 1999 wrx. Not sure of the Turbo model. I remember my friend choosing it because it's spooled fairly quickly, and it did, right at 2500rpm it would spool.

As far as a stock si-r being faster than all of those muscle cars, thats pure bullshit. The stock SI-R runs a 16 1/4 mile. Peppy maybe, but not fast. The SI-R was over 2200lbs, a pig compared to a HF or even the SI.

Maybe if there was a bend in that 1/4mile, it would beat out some of those cars though. :v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ratbert90 posted:

You are being purposefully obtuse, but yes, you are correct.

No, I think he's doing a good job of not having psi be the last word of turbo characteristics.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

slidebite posted:

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1997-Subaru-SVX-LSi-Coupe-6-200-OBO-W0QQAdIdZ290301051

Thank god I'm out of my SVX phase
or am I? :ohdear:
Looks clean as hell.

Did last long, appears to be gone.
Thank god.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The weird SVX windows are actually supposed to be a callback to Subaru/FHI's aviation history; the door handles are weird and aerodynamic too. It was never meant to be a rally/competition car, but more of a grand tourer. They did use one as a pace car for awhile, but I've never seen one in person being used for anything more competitive than driving to and from work. They're monstrously heavy, to the point where you get to replace wheel bearings as part of regular maintenance because it weighs almost 1000lb more than the Impreza the rear hub design comes from.

I suspect they let the guy who did the XT take a few hits on the crackpipe and then go to town with a CAD aerodynamics software package.

edit: Apparently it's a Giugiaro. Subaru hasn't had a good run of hiring Italian designers between that and the ex-Alfa guy they tricked into doing the Tribeca and hawkeye Impreza.

The SVX has a reputation as a heavy car but its really only 50kg/110lbs heavier than a gd series sti, with which it shares it's wheel bearings. The half windows also allow the curved "jetfighter canopy" shape they were aiming for, the full windows wouldn't fit in the doors if retracted.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
It's always struck me as very heavy- and ungainly-looking and basically everything you don't expect a Subaru to look like.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

spleen merchant posted:

The SVX has a reputation as a heavy car but its really only 50kg/110lbs heavier than a gd series sti, with which it shares it's wheel bearings.
Are you sure? An 06 WRX is ~3100lb and a '92 SVX is 3500+.

Huh, you're right. The 06 STI is 3351lb unladen.

I always figured since it was in the 90s the rear hubs and wheel bearings actually came from the GC Impreza, the STI in particular is much lighter.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 20, 2011

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Doctor Zero posted:

Means it was covered with Roxy and Hello Kitty stickers. :haw:

I test drove a saab that was obviously "female owned" because the dial markings were all sliced up from someone turning the knobs that clearly wore some fake nails of some sort. Any markings on the dash weren't worn down, they literally had gouges out of their paint.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I test drove a saab that was obviously "female owned" because the dial markings were all sliced up from someone turning the knobs that clearly wore some fake nails of some sort. Any markings on the dash weren't worn down, they literally had gouges out of their paint.

The other "woman owned" problem you'll find are with the obsessive hand cream users. It eats the silk screened paint off of the turn signal stalk and anything else they touch (including computer keyboards). Took me a few years in IT before I figured out what was going on with those keyboards.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

slidebite posted:

Why yes, I'd be happy to pay $50K FIRM* for your nice, albeit 30 year old Porsche with 167K.

*or make me an offer

Am I wrong, or do some people seem to seriously expect a bidding war to erupt for their cherished pristine artifact of automotive perfection? I sometimes get that impression from "well I'll take at least $x", since why the hell would I offer more than the minimum?

Motronic posted:

The other "woman owned" problem you'll find are with the obsessive hand cream users. It eats the silk screened paint off of the turn signal stalk and anything else they touch (including computer keyboards). Took me a few years in IT before I figured out what was going on with those keyboards.

... :aaa:

And now I know!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Motronic posted:

My head asplode. How did I never figure this out??

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

I take that to mean that now you understand why every over-40 receptionist's keyboard is half blank. Yeah, I got tired of warranty replacing Compaq keyboards back in the day (basically no reimbursement, so it wasn't worth the trouble) and got pissed enough to pay attention and figure out that every one I replaced sat next to a gigantic bottle of hand cream. So I started denying the warranty claims on them.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 21, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Warranty claim? The worn-off letters on my work keyboard are poor man's Das Keyboard :v:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

AlternateAccount posted:

but, but.. but.. first owner of my 2000 9-5 was a male architect who drove a lot (He lives in SFBA, and I found some tokens from Cincinnati from some convention he went to.)

Now I feel really filthy.. what my poor car must have experienced.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
If you are over 40 and working somewhere that has a keyboard, you shouldn't be noticing the letters are missing anyway. Leave IT alone and learn to touch type.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I have a BMW I need to sell and I have decided to be cremated, so I no longer need these cemetery plots. Do you have a fun car and need a place to rest your bones? Let's talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
Guys the best Mazda 3 is currently for sale!

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-BEST-MAZDA-3-FOR-SALE-GREAT-PRICE-MUST-SELL-W0QQAdIdZ292255249