Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Slow presets. I got Phototools for free with a recent CS5 purchase and the time it takes to switch from one preset to another or back to Photoshop is what kills it for me. Much easier to test different styles with Lightroom presets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Do Nik ever have discounts on their software? I'd really like to pick up Silver Efex Pro, but would really rather avoid paying full price if possible.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I googled myself a coupon

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

dissss posted:

DxO is currently 30% off if anyone is interested.

https://shop.dxo.com/login.php?CountryShow=International

What a bunch of cocksuckers. I was like "sweet 100 bux." But then it wouldn't read my raw files. I didn't look close enough, you need the "Elite" version for a 5DII. Dicks. So i ended up spending 200.

Also, I really like the subtle yellow in this image:

I can't seem to reproduce it. I can't get any Lightroom split toning to come close to it, and I haven't seen any PS actions that come close, I'm at a loss as to how to reproduce it.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 21, 2011

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Photoshop - color correction and hue/saturation. Play with each channel in highlights, medium, and shadow.

You could also add a very low opacity yellow mask as well.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
got it it seems the yellow balance on the highlights does it. All the fussing in lightroom and a simple slider on PS works, hah. Thanks.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Aeka 2.0 posted:

What a bunch of cocksuckers.

Yes, truly women and gay men are objects of derision, to which shady companies should be compared so that all know how horrible they are. (because they are like gays and women, both very bad things to be of course)

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
To be fair, not all gay men perform oral sex on other men. You are potentially offending gay men who do not prefer to perform oral sex by unfairly stereotyping them.

Furthermore, I know lots of straight females who don't perform oral. Please note I did not say that I prefer to date them.

Even furthermore, feeling offended is not an enjoyable experience and I'm sorry you felt that way.

Content: Joey L's DvD series is definitely not worth the full price. If you know about different layer blending methods you won't really get much from the series. You'll learn more about editing from the "You suck at photoshop" youtube movies.

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 21, 2011

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

RangerScum posted:

To be fair, not all gay men perform oral sex on other men. You are potentially offending gay men who do not prefer to perform oral sex by unfairly stereotyping them.

Furthermore, I know lots of straight females who don't perform oral. Please note I did not say that I prefer to date them.

Even furthermore, feeling offended is not an enjoyable experience and I'm sorry you felt that way.

Content: Joey L's DvD series is definitely not worth the full price. If you know about different layer blending methods you won't really get much from the series. You'll learn more about editing from the "You suck at photoshop" youtube movies.

"I'm sorry you are offended" nice.

You (and Aeka 2.0) could just stop using cocksucker as a pejorative, but I'm sure the inconvenience that would put you under is directly comparable to the misogyny and homophobia of today's culture.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

poopinmymouth posted:

"I'm sorry you are offended" nice.

I don't use/haven't used the phrase and now I've apparently offended you by apologizing for someone else's behavior. It was the first time I had seen it considered offensive and while I see the logic behind it, I felt it would be proper to point out your somewhat stereotypical views. I like gay people and have gay friends and I am always interested in knowing things that could potentially upset people.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

When did goons become so PC?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

RangerScum posted:

I am always interested in knowing things that could potentially upset people.

If that is the case, then try not to use cocksucker as a pejorative. Your semantic quibble aside, we all know that cocksucker implies "other than straight male", so using it as a pejorative is easily taken as homophobic and/or misogynistic.

taqueso posted:

Since this is a specialized sub-forum that is trying to have a well rounded audience to enjoy and discuss photography inside of; and a homophobic, racist, or misogynistic circle jerk of straight white males will ensure a continuation of the lack of input from other viewpoints that many forums suffer from?

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 21, 2011

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

taqueso posted:

You're right, political correctness has gone too far. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using slurs and hate speech in casual conversation; someone to whom those terms are incredibly demeaning has no business pointing out that just because it doesn't bother you doesn't mean it's acceptable to say it.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Unless I'm shooting concerts or low light situations where chroma noise is just too disgusting, I am never happy with BW conversions. I just use desaturation in LR3 and adjust contrast and black levels. I love black and white photography, but I can't "see" it before I take the photo. What are some good resources for thinking in black and white, I've been pouring over tons of images trying to imagine scenes without color, but it's still really tough for me. I'm just drawn to bright vivid colors.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
I got this book from my library which has a couple of interesting B&W examples. It's basically a book full of mini Photoshop tutorials- not so much about previsualization : http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Digital-Black-White-Photography/dp/1600592104

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Unless I'm shooting concerts or low light situations where chroma noise is just too disgusting, I am never happy with BW conversions. I just use desaturation in LR3 and adjust contrast and black levels. I love black and white photography, but I can't "see" it before I take the photo. What are some good resources for thinking in black and white, I've been pouring over tons of images trying to imagine scenes without color, but it's still really tough for me. I'm just drawn to bright vivid colors.

I don't have much to point you to as far as pre-visualizing in black and white goes. I've heard good things about Ansel Adam's book trilogy (The Camera, The Negative, The Print). Also Michael Freeman has a couple books on Black and White. I haven't yet read them either but he's by far one of my favorite photography teachers. As for myself, a lot of times I shoot in black and white when I feel the colors are too distracting, there is some really cool textures, or I see some nice tonal contrast.

As for post processing, you absolutely positively have to get Nik SilverEfx Pro a try. I know I post about it every other page, but it's really the best tool out there for black and white conversions. The thing I like the most/find the most useful is that it has a ton of presets. Don't think of them as cookie cutter "make my photo B&W" buttons but rather starting points to help you find your vision. Each preset gives you a preview of what your image will look it. It doesn't sound like a big deal but it makes finding your vision a lot easier. Once you pick your preset, there are a lot of tweaks you can do to your image. Mimic film types, burn edges, add grain, selectively adjust areas of the photo, etc... It's really helped me become a better black and white photographer.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Zone system

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
The Practical Zone System for Film and Digital Photography. I'm reading this right now, and it's exactly what you want. Did you buy an MF setup recently?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

scottch posted:

The Practical Zone System for Film and Digital Photography. I'm reading this right now, and it's exactly what you want. Did you buy an MF setup recently?

I'm reading The Negative right now. I just finished The Camera. Yes, I just bought a MF camera, waiting for my first roll to come back now. I shot it about as fast as humanly possible. I'm going to have to do home development just because I can't wait for processing.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

scottch posted:

Awesome I'm gonna check this out.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I'm reading The Negative right now. I just finished The Camera. Yes, I just bought a MF camera, waiting for my first roll to come back now. I shot it about as fast as humanly possible. I'm going to have to do home development just because I can't wait for processing.

How dated are the books? I have no intention of ever shooting film again.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

poopinmymouth posted:

If that is the case, then try not to use cocksucker as a pejorative. Your semantic quibble aside, we all know that cocksucker implies "other than straight male", so using it as a pejorative is easily taken as homophobic and/or misogynistic.

Since this is a specialized sub-forum that is trying to have a well rounded audience to enjoy and discuss photography inside of; and a homophobic, racist, or misogynistic circle jerk of straight white males will ensure a continuation of the lack of input from other viewpoints that many forums suffer from?

I'm so offended by your username, man. My dad died in a human centipede. Try not to backseat so much, gently caress.

edit: I used the word because it is offensive and causes reaction, it is harsh sounding and I love it. That is how I felt about the situation. Looks like you got roped in. It has nothing to do how I feel about gays or women. I have several gay relatives who I love very much and I've voted against every anti gay law that has came my way.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 22, 2011

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Should we stop saying things like "fucker" next because it's offensive to sexhavers? Or is it okay because straight males can be fuckers?

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I'm so offended by your username, man. My dad died in a human centipede. Try not to backseat so much, gently caress.

edit: I used the word because it is offensive and causes reaction, it is harsh sounding and I love it. That is how I felt about the situation. Looks like you got roped in. It has nothing to do how I feel about gays or women. I have several gay relatives who I love very much and I've voted against every anti gay law that has came my way.

I'd report you if I had plat, but I'll bring it up every single time someone does it, so if you don't like it, stop. Your idiotic hyperbole has no basis in reality, human centipedes aren't a real group of people, however women and gay men are. And I know why you use it, you're a privileged baby that doesn't have any words that exist that can hurt you, but at the same time get offended when someone asks you not to use slurs. If you truly "love your gay relatives" then maybe you should think a bit harder on if some of your words can remind them of actual homophobic interactions they've had in their past, regardless of your political intentions at the ballot box. Your argument is the same one that 14 year olds use when they say human being, that it's just a word that means bad things, they don't hate gay people! (repeat with retard, oval office, friend of the family, etc)

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

Should we stop saying things like "fucker" next because it's offensive to sexhavers? Or is it okay because straight males can be fuckers?

The best part of when I mention "straight white males" is that people get their panties in a bunch, while at the same time trying to say that gay men (who actually face real discrimination) are too sensitive about gay slurs.

The irony is truly delicious.

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 22, 2011

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

poopinmymouth posted:

The best part of when I mention "straight white males" is that people get their panties in a bunch, while at the same time trying to say that gay men (who actually face real discrimination) are too sensitive about gay slurs.

Personally I think it's p. funny that both people used the 'some of my best friends are...' card.

I must be the only person on earth without any black/gay friends/relatives. :(

Big Floppy
Apr 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Just a heads up guys, onOne software Standard Edition Phototools 2.5 is free right now if you are an Mpix member.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/landing/pt25sefree/?partner=mpix&utm_campaign=PT25SEFree_prtnr&utm_medium=banner&utm_source=mpix

Wanted to say it still available and free when I plugged in my info a few hours ago.

Also any good recommendations on books or video how-tos for post processing portraits using LR? I have a friend who is wanting to get some portrait shots done. So thought this place would be a good spot to ask. Main thing I do not want is making them look like an airbrushed doll as many of the "craigslist pros" do.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

Haggins posted:

Awesome I'm gonna check this out.

How dated are the books? I have no intention of ever shooting film again.

The one I linked has quite a lot of info on film, but it has plenty of info for digital as well. And many of the chapters apply to both, of course. The Negative is all film, and is still relevant to that, but digital requires a slight tweak of the zone system, from what I understand.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

poopinmymouth posted:

I'd report you if I had plat, but I'll bring it up every single time someone does it, so if you don't like it, stop. Your idiotic hyperbole has no basis in reality, human centipedes aren't a real group of people, however women and gay men are. And I know why you use it, you're a privileged baby that doesn't have any words that exist that can hurt you, but at the same time get offended when someone asks you not to use slurs. If you truly "love your gay relatives" then maybe you should think a bit harder on if some of your words can remind them of actual homophobic interactions they've had in their past, regardless of your political intentions at the ballot box. Your argument is the same one that 14 year olds use when they say human being, that it's just a word that means bad things, they don't hate gay people! (repeat with retard, oval office, friend of the family, etc)

I think the whiny baby is you "I'll report you!!!! whahhhahaah!!!"

EvoDevo
Jul 5, 2007
Can we please get off this drat derail about being politically correct? I like reading this thread to learn about Post Processing, not to hear a bunch of overly emotional goons complain because someone said "cocksucker". How about this? If you want to have a discussion about the proper use of profanity/slurs make a GBS thread.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

EvoDevo posted:

Can we please get off this drat derail about being politically correct? I like reading this thread to learn about Post Processing, not to hear a bunch of overly emotional goons complain because someone said "cocksucker". How about this? If you want to have a discussion about the proper use of profanity/slurs make a GBS thread.

How about both of you fuckers do this, click the little ? mark next to my name, then yours, you'll see who's posted actual post processing content and who is 'making GBS threads up the thread".

I know which person the thread would be poorer without! and it's going to be me if gay slurs are not only allowed, but straight dudes pour in to defend. gently caress you both.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

EvoDevo posted:

Yes. If I was good at post, I would put some stuff up, but I am still learning and more or less ask questions or just lurk here. I'll shut up now except for content or more questions.

EvoDevo
Jul 5, 2007
Seriously dude you need to chill the gently caress out before you have an aneurism or something. I wasn't placing blame or defending anyone. Yes, Aeka shouldn't have called a company that he was aggravated with a cocksucker. A lot of straight males use that word without thought as to its actual meaning, it is just another insult. If he had used motherfucker in that instance would you have been offended for victims of incest?

I agreewith what you said earlier, this is a very specialized subforum and we should try to keep it professional. Now to get over this can we all agree that the use of homophobic slurs is wrong? Can we also agree that you could just drop it and get back to helpful post processing advice?

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
If you fucks make PIMM leave we're going to be so mad. :mad:

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

scottch posted:

The one I linked has quite a lot of info on film, but it has plenty of info for digital as well. And many of the chapters apply to both, of course. The Negative is all film, and is still relevant to that, but digital requires a slight tweak of the zone system, from what I understand.

Even different cameras can require a different use of the zone system. This is why I like to use one body for so long without upgrading. I used my 5D so much and for so long that I know where to place data on the histogram in order to keep lots of contrast and detail without it clipping into black or white, and where I have wiggle room. I've been shooting a lot with my X100, but I still don't have quite as good a handle on it. It seems it handles extreme highlights just a tiny bit less good than the 5D, but I like how it handles shadows, and reds, much better.

Knowing your gear is really important, especially when trying to fit a lot of info into a single exposure, or to prioritize what you want.

As an example:

DSCF2090.jpg by mr-chompers, on Flickr

The first shot showed me that the camera had metered in such a way that the shadows were a bit too open, and his face got really clipped. I wanted it bright and sunny, but I didn't want to lose his cheekbones. I dialed in -1 exposure compensation so it would send the darks down, I knew I could recover them, the X100 has tons of shadow detail, but the highlights would be harder. Worked just like I was thinking in the field once I loaded it into lightroom, but it took knowing my recording medium's characteristics, which is a core tenet of the Zone system.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Next person to derail over something stupid gets a very long probation.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
When shooting HDR what's the minimum number of shots to take in order for them to turn out the best in post? I've been reading Understanding Exposure and he mentioned 3,5,7, or 9 and it sounds like it just depends on the scene and how much of an f stop variance there is.

However, when using my D7000 (unless I am doing it wrong) it looks like my bracketing only allows me to take three shots, even if I wanted to do more. Is that normal for a D7000?

Do I just need to take three more shots and change the bracketing increment?

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Based on reviews the D7000 brackets by using 3 exposures and you can set the +/- amount to 2 EV. This gives you an effective increase of 4 stops (2 into the shadows and 2 into the highlights) over the basic dynamic range of ca. 9 EV. Is a 13 EV range enough? Depends on the scene. If not you'll have to do things manually and hope that your tripod is stable enough and Photoshop's image align works well.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Cross_ posted:

Based on reviews the D7000 brackets by using 3 exposures and you can set the +/- amount to 2 EV. This gives you an effective increase of 4 stops (2 into the shadows and 2 into the highlights) over the basic dynamic range of ca. 9 EV. Is a 13 EV range enough? Depends on the scene. If not you'll have to do things manually and hope that your tripod is stable enough and Photoshop's image align works well.

Okay, so this is all new to me to bear with me...

When I metered my scene, from the lightest part to the darkest part it was 6 clicks (6 stops, correct?), so how does the math equate in the "bracketing increment" to make sure you are covering those six stops?

I'm just confused on the ca. 9 EV and what the means in general and how 2 EV equated into 13 EV and not simply 4.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
I am guessing that each click was actually a 1/3rd stop, depends on how your camera is set up.
Try this: set your camera to spot metering and either A or S mode (shutter mode makes the math easier since every stop means double or half the shutter time). Aim at the darkest part and check the reading, then aim at the lightest spot. This should tell you how many stops/EVs apart the two are. Your camera is capable of recording 9 stops/EVs difference in a single photo. When you enable bracketing the camera will take one regular exposure, then underexpose by 2 stops, take a picture, then overexpose by 2 stops and take another. This way the base dynamic range of 9 stops is extended by 2 in each direction -> 13 EV range.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Is it bad that I just use evaluative and bracket 3 shots at -2, 0, and +2 for HDRs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Anyone help me please in trying to fix the totally overblown girl in this shot? Feel like it would be a cracker just if there was some detail there.

• Locked thread