Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

sigmachiev posted:

A couple projects where I was banging my head against the wall looking for an answer, but I knew that would happen.
Summers tend to get a lot of "I know there's a case that says XXXX, but I can't find. Please find it" assignments.

Hint: there is no case that says XXXX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

commish posted:

I think this is a great question to ask an interviewer, to be honest. Maybe not in those words... but I would think that the candidate is interested in seeing if the firm is a good fit for them, which is what I would want. I get so many meaningless questions from candidates that I tend to think they aren't interested in my firm as much as they are interested in getting a job ANYWHERE, if that makes sense.

I think it's on a par with the "biggest weakness" question. I always found a better question to be specific to a case or practice area of the firm (preferably one the attorney works in). Anything else is generic.

In my case I prefer asking "why do you want to work here" type questions as challenging ones.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

gvibes posted:

Summers tend to get a lot of "I know there's a case that says XXXX, but I can't find. Please find it" assignments.

I like to ask them to find outdated holdings to see if they have the balls to tell me I'm wrong.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I think it's on a par with the "biggest weakness" question. I always found a better question to be specific to a case or practice area of the firm (preferably one the attorney works in). Anything else is generic.

In my case I prefer asking "why do you want to work here" type questions as challenging ones.

The "why do you want to work here" questions are great. It's amazing how many candidates don't have a great answer already prepared.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I like to ask them to find outdated holdings to see if they have the balls to tell me I'm wrong.

I used to have to tell my old boss and the 75-year-old co-counsel who was also a torts professor that they were wrong.

I'd make a memo, print out the cases, collate and staple them, highlight the relevant portion, tab the pages so they could be turned to immediately and attach everything to the back of the memo.

And then they'd completely disregard it and wonder why they got a bad ruling :v:

William Lee
May 16, 2003

I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.
Has anyone used any of the commercial MBE flashcards? Namely Dominate the Bar...

I'd like to save some time by not writing out hundreds upon hundreds of cards and use that time for actual reviewing.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

The writing / figuring out what to write on the flashcards is very, very helpful though. That alone is review.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

commish posted:

The "why do you want to work here" questions are great. It's amazing how many candidates don't have a great answer already prepared.
Goddamn, I want a job, and I'll move to southeast bumfuck to get it. That shou7ld be enough.
I shouldn't have to tell interviewers why i want to move to Bakersfield.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You monster.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Stunt Rock posted:

You monster.

He's nice. My boss went on a 30 minute tirade when the car-wreck clerk gave him a memo on a point of law without being able to cite any cases.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

He's nice. My boss went on a 30 minute tirade when the car-wreck clerk gave him a memo on a point of law without being able to cite any cases.

That's pretty terrible, though...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

gvibes posted:

In crim there was such a case, but it was overruled sometime during or after Reagan.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm really bad at interviews. Is there a resource or something I can do to not be so bad at them

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
obligatory "learn to control your gag reflex" joke

jake1357
Jul 10, 2001

hypocrite lecteur posted:

I'm really bad at interviews. Is there a resource or something I can do to not be so bad at them

Assuming you're a student, you can ask your career services people to do mock interviews. Practice is important. No amount of reading/research will cure awkwardness. Thinking through possible questions and how you'd answer can be good too.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I'm lucky that my job allows me to take outside legal work and I recently managed to get my first client. Unfortunately, I don't have a letterhead and I'm discovering that designing one from scratch is kind of a bitch. Does anyone have a good font recommendations for your letterhead? Lucida Bright looks kind of cool but I'd appreciate any other suggestions for professional looking fonts.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.

GamingHyena posted:

I'm lucky that my job allows me to take outside legal work and I recently managed to get my first client. Unfortunately, I don't have a letterhead and I'm discovering that designing one from scratch is kind of a bitch. Does anyone have a good font recommendations for your letterhead? Lucida Bright looks kind of cool but I'd appreciate any other suggestions for professional looking fonts.

Century Schoolbook :c00l:

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

I'm really bad at interviews.

Hey, that's actually kind of a good one if you say it right.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

MoFauxHawk posted:

When I was interviewing for a job before law school, the interviewers kept asking me about my biggest weakness despite my having given my bullshit answer back then. They were obviously looking for something else. After an awkward minute, I said "Apparently, thinking on the spot about my biggest weakness". Definitely was not surprise when I didn't get the job.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

MoFauxHawk posted:

How do you think it would go over to reply, "Kryptonite"?

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008

IrritationX posted:

Dunno, try asking Penguins Like Pies from two pages back.

Penguins Like Pies posted:

I've always wanted to say "Kryptonite".

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

IrritationX posted:

If you're interviewing with me, really well. If you're interviewing with one of my colleagues, you have a 50/50 shot.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

CanadianSuperKing posted:

Dunno, try asking Penguins Like Pies from two pages back.

poo poo. I guess "originality" is my other response. Or "my Jimmy Stewart impression."

methamphetamine
Oct 4, 2004

sigmachiev posted:

just don't read any law (like don't pick up a treatise on Civ Pro).

Popping in here to say that this is bad advice endlessly parroted by people who have no experience on the issue. Read the Examples and Explanations on Civpro, Contracts, and Torts if you have time. Read Getting to Maybe, but also read How to Do Your Best on Law School Exams by Delaney. Check out LEEWS if you have time.

Read Planet Law School. It tells you how to study. (hint: dont waste time on casebooks or prepping for cold calls).

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

methamphetamine posted:

Popping in here to say that this is bad advice endlessly parroted by people who have no experience on the issue. Read the Examples and Explanations on Civpro, Contracts, and Torts if you have time. Read Getting to Maybe, but also read How to Do Your Best on Law School Exams by Delaney. Check out LEEWS if you have time.

Read Planet Law School. It tells you how to study. (hint: dont waste time on casebooks or prepping for cold calls).

The debate over whether to do the PLS approach and read literally everything or to read only GTM has been an endless one, but if there's one thing I've heard consistently, it's that LEEWS is actually counter-productive if you're attending a T14. I've tried to find someone at a T14 who went through LEEWS and thinks it helped, but I haven't been able to find any such person.

also having read all 700~ or whatever pages of PLS I seriously cannot recommend it to anyone. not wasting time on casebooks is one thing, not buying them at all, as he advocates, seems to be a whole different realm of stupidity. the author also rivals the most vitriolic and bitter possible sort of lawgoon, so anyone who reads this thread has already received that treatment.

topheryan fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 21, 2011

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Penguins Like Pies posted:

When I was interviewing for a job before law school, the interviewers kept asking me about my biggest weakness despite my having given my bullshit answer back then. They were obviously looking for something else. After an awkward minute, I said "Apparently, thinking on the spot about my biggest weakness". Definitely was not surprise when I didn't get the job.

I'm pretty sure the real trick to interviewing is to network enough to not be asked bullshit questions like this.

Worthless anecdotal evidence: every single interview I got asked this question and questions like it, I didn't get the job.

Every single interview I went in saying "Hey, Mike and Shawn, how you fellas doing? Mike how's the new bambina? Still crying every night?" I got the job.

In conclusion, based on my experiences, you should network. And then network some more. And then some more. Until you are so familiar with your prospective employers you can go to the company gym and do the crossword with them in the sauna without a hint of shame. Not one singular hint of shame. Certainly not at your law-penis anyway.

Edit: "Do the crossword" may be a euphemism. ymmv.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 21, 2011

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Solicitor's exam in Ontario today. Surprisingly it has nothing to do with prostitutes.

quote:

I got a lot better after a few dozen interviews that led to no job.

Oh hey on that note I have an articling interview this week with a lawyer that's recorded rap albums. I'm halfheartedly thinking about trying to conduct the interview using nothing but lyrics from Biggie's Juicy.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
i guess the number one piece of advice i would give to any new kid going into 1L of law school in the coming fall is to avoid any prep materials that instill a sense of bitterness within you before you go. while law school can be (and was for me) an absolutely crushing soul-sucking experience, some people like it, and it would be an awful shame if you turn something you would have liked into something you hate just because you chose to go in with a bad attitude at the outset.

so yeah planet law school is basically most useful as birdcage liner

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Take some acting / improv classes to get comfortable being in the spotlight and thinking on your feet. When you go into your interview / trial / oral argument, act your way through it, pretending to be a confident, comptentent ball-buster.

IANAL
Apr 18, 2008

FUSC

Solomon Grundy posted:

Take some acting / improv classes to get comfortable being in the spotlight and thinking on your feet. When you go into your interview / trial / oral argument, act your way through it, pretending to be a confident, comptentent ball-buster.

Also practice. There are tons of books, websites and workbooks that you can use. My best advice is to get someone willing to ask questions that needs help too and go back and forth ad nauseum.

I was going to say more but I'm still super bitter. There are resources
Seek them out.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Dallan Invictus posted:

:ohdear: I'm somehow interviewing for my dream articling position next week and I don't even care that it probably won't start for another loving year and I'll somehow have to stay alive until then. Someone needs to slap me and tell me this will all end in tears.

It...didn't end in tears? :unsmith: I'll be articling at the CRTC next year. (non-Canucks: our telecom/TV/radio regulator, like the American FCC - why yes I am a cyberlaw panda!)

Screw the rising 3Ls that I just beat out, you'll find another job.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 21, 2011

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

methamphetamine posted:

Popping in here to say that this is bad advice endlessly parroted by people who have no experience on the issue.

Going balls out with E&Es the summer before you start risks learning poo poo your professor might not care about or even agree with. It's also unnecessary to do well. Not everyone who follows your method is destined for the curve but I know what worked for me and the majority of people who smoke 1L.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

methamphetamine posted:

I can't even imagine reading E&Es before law school started. It's just such a waste of time. You'll learn everything you need to learn during the semester and as you study for finals. Of course, I imagine it would help you, much like studying extra for ANYTHING would help you. If you read the entire E&E every weekend from August through December finals, that would help you as well. But the benefit isn't worth the time it would take and I'm not sure ultimately gets you a higher grade. I'm sure you can find plenty of people who read the E&Es early and said it helped them, but we'll never know if their grade was any higher because of it, or if someone's grade is any lower because they didn't.

I'd just read Getting to Maybe and roll with the semester once it starts.

PatrickKilpatrick
Jul 11, 2007

methamphetamine posted:

I can't think of anything more counterproductive than reading E&Es as a 0L. You risk wasting your time studying things your professor isn't going to cover and, worse than that, you risk learning things in a way that's different than how your professor is going to teach them. I used E&Es for CivPro, Torts, Ks, and Crim. At the end of the semester when I already knew what to disregard, which was easily half of the book in each class. If I had read the whole thing as a 0L it definitely would have done more harm than good.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I actually enjoyed the first year. I found it fairly intellectually stimulating, I got fairly strong grades, and I'm in the best shape of my life. Maybe I have Stockholm syndrome.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
What's a good distribution of classes and seminars for 2L? Right now, I'm at four regular classes and one seminar. Should I swap out a class for a seminar since they're graded more leniently? If I get my top choices, I'll be taking Federal Criminal Law, Evidence, Law & The Political Process, Admin Law, and Telecommunications and Media Law (the seminar).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Holland Oats posted:

What's a good distribution of classes and seminars for 2L? Right now, I'm at four regular classes and one seminar. Should I throw in another seminar since they're graded more leniently? If I get my top choices, I'll be taking Federal Criminal Law, Evidence, Law & The Political Process, Admin Law, and Telecommunications and Media Law (the seminar).

Even those four classes all being 3 credit lectures means you're at 14 credits, you don't want 16. If one of those is a 4 credit lecture, you probably aren't allowed to take another class. Also papers tend to be due the last day of classes, and it's horrid having two 20 page papers due on the same day.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Should I always try to hit 15 exactly?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Holland Oats posted:

Should I always try to hit 15 exactly?

You need to average 13 credits per semester to graduate for the next two years: you need 83, and you completed 31 your 1L year.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

methamphetamine
Oct 4, 2004

PatrickKilpatrick posted:

I can't think of anything more counterproductive than reading E&Es as a 0L. You risk wasting your time studying things your professor isn't going to cover

I suppose everyone's experience will vary but the E&Es covered about 75% of what we ended up covering, which was worth my time in that case.

I am also the special kind of nerd who enjoys reading E&Es (but not casebooks) because I think taking little quizzes after reading is fun. If you enjoy it, do it during the summer. There's no real reason not to. Sure it won't guarantee a high grade and isn't the only way to a high grade, but it helps.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

if there's one thing I've heard consistently, it's that LEEWS is actually counter-productive if you're attending a T14. I've tried to find someone at a T14 who went through LEEWS and thinks it helped, but I haven't been able to find any such person.

I ended up near the top of my class at a t14 and I would say that it helped a lot. But I am also a nerd who enjoys law, see above.

Also I want to say that my recommendation of PLS is half-hearted. It does have over a hundred pages of weird conspiracy theory. It does teach you how to avoid professor's games though, which is very helpful if you're trying to be on top of the curve.