Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Samurai X was just the name of the Kenshin OVAs for the English markets so they could appeal to a more XTREME anime audience.

The 1st OVA tells the backstory of Kenshin
The 2nd OVA is a re-imagining of a manga arc that never got animated when it was on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!
Samurai X, it should be mentioned, despite falling into that darker and edgier trend was actually really quite good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah, the first Kenshin OVA is brilliant. You can watch it by itself even because as a stand-alone story it's beautiful.

Not so much for the second OVA, though, as that was a half-assed attempt to animate the final arc of the manga as well as provide an epilogue to the whole story. A lot of fans hate the second OVA and don't consider it canon (even the manga author remarked that he didn't agree with its ending).

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
And hey, what do you know, they're doing another TV series soon that should probably cover Jinchuu and render any need to ever watch that leprosy filled piece of dreck entirely irrelevant! I'm curious whether they'll do the flashback arc in the more TV style though, as it does theoretically happen inside this arc (as a means of explaining why someone's after Ken this hard in the first place).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh god it's true. If they animate the entire Enishi arc I will be over the moon!

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
So are they just releasing the Kenshin OAV's or the Tv series as well?

I'll buy the gently caress out of whatever they release, but it looks like only the OAV's from that page :(

6000yen for Tsuioku-hen OAV is actually pretty nice in comparison to Japanese bluray prices in general ( :( ).

edit: Seems like price should be 8400yen, but amazon jp lists it at 6100. Anyone willing to translate what's going on?

Buffis fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 29, 2011

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Hopefully I'll be getting Sword of the Stranger in the mail today or tomorrow. Also read up on some ghibli news, and The Borrower Arrietty is released on br/dvd June 17th, I think it was.

People interested in the movie should seriously consider the japanese release as it turns out the stateside release of the movie isn't happening until Feb. 2012. And that might just be a theatrical release, so add a few months for disc.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Buffis posted:

edit: Seems like price should be 8400yen, but amazon jp lists it at 6100. Anyone willing to translate what's going on?

Well Buffis, you see, Amazon tends to have these things called discounts.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nate RFB posted:

Rurouni Kenshin...Filler arcs designed to keep the ball rolling while the manga got further along, but back fired by being so massively terribly it got the series canceled.

Wait a second...how bad can those episodes have been to say it got the series cancelled considering the regular filler quality of Naruto/Bleach?

This reminds me I need to watch read Kenshin someday. It's one of those seminal shounen things I never got around to. Along with Hunter X Hunter, Saint Seiya, Dragonball and Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventures. Nor have I ever finished Fist of the North Star. I'm a bad manga fan :(

Guess I can start Kenshin with the blurays though. Any excuse is a good one really.

Ice Blue
Mar 20, 2002

Sorry, I get paid to shoot paintballs, honey, not the breeze.

tsob posted:

Wait a second...how bad can those episodes have been to say it got the series cancelled considering the regular filler quality of Naruto/Bleach?

This reminds me I need to watch read Kenshin someday. It's one of those seminal shounen things I never got around to. Along with Hunter X Hunter, Saint Seiya, Dragonball and Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventures. Nor have I ever finished Fist of the North Star. I'm a bad manga fan :(

Guess I can start Kenshin with the blurays though. Any excuse is a good one really.
I'm no expert at popularity of anime in Japan but I'd imagine Naruto and Bleach as being one of those once in 5-10 year series that are approaching DBZ levels of mainstream popularity, while Kenshin, not so much. Plus they lend themselves for more merchandising opportunities than Kenshin ever did. I don't even know if I've seen any Kenshin merch before, not counting wallscrolls and mousepad type poo poo.

I'd imagine that filler for Naruto and Bleach still had decent ratings. Plus all those movies and video games.

Ice Blue fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 29, 2011

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

tsob posted:

Kenshin is somewhat more grounded in reality than those series, there are silly special moves but they kind of try to explain it with things like "he ignites the sword with friction and the grease on the blade" to avoid it being too out there for a series set in history. So the first filler arc has Kenshin get magic blindness from getting hit by a special attack and he's cured of the magic blindness by beating the guy who blinded him. It gets worse from there and he literally fights mystic asian wizards in the last arc.

Sakamoto
Oct 4, 2004
Eden of the East: King of Eden movie on sale for $13.99

Sakamoto fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 30, 2011

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
How was the new Slayers season? I saw Amazon has the blu-rays and I loved the first three seasons.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
I liked it a lot. Really captured the old Slayers feeling and any Slayers fan should check it out. Lina's spells in HD are pretty.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

So I'm seeing two different versions of a complete samurai Champloo. One is out, and the other is coming out in a month, what's the difference between the two?

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Apparently it's just a rerelease with a different price. Possibly just to get it moving to stores/get buzz again. As far as I know Champloo was never remastered, it's just Funimation upscaling it badly. I've heard so many things about the first box being junk, so I'd stay away.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Really? I thought it got a decent review on BR.com but it's been a while so I'll have to re-check that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It was mentioned in the Haruhi thread, but apparently Disappearance was confirmed for a US BD release.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Redline finally got a release date; August 10 in Japan and September for UK

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I guess Laputa got a BR/DVD combo release in the UK? It's impossible to find info (I guess there isnt any) on disney bringing it stateside but I did come across reviews from this month for it in the UK.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Amazon UK delivered my first ever Anime Blu-ray this week. Well two, it's a double pack with Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

I've seen Girl because my GF has it on DVD. Summer Wars I've not seen but heard good things, looking forward to checking them out soon.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I really enjoyed Summer Wars, especially on blu ray. The story and art really lend itself to a high definition picture.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

useless player posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Blu-Ray player software? I bought the FLCL Blu-Ray disc intending to watch it on my new laptop only to find that I don't have the software to play it :doh:.

I want to bring this back up, because I too would like to know if there's any good BR software out yet. I bought a BR player for my computer only to find none of the popular players work for it, and the piece of poo poo that comes with it is super picky about what it'll play over. Like, it wont play to my projector over a DVI but it will over VGA (???)

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've noticed Amazon selling quite a few series like Baka Test, Angel Beats, Spice and Wolf on Blu Ray. Are any of these worth it or is it just the 720p copies?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

DamnGlitch posted:

I want to bring this back up, because I too would like to know if there's any good BR software out yet. I bought a BR player for my computer only to find none of the popular players work for it, and the piece of poo poo that comes with it is super picky about what it'll play over. Like, it wont play to my projector over a DVI but it will over VGA (???)

No, and all BR software costs like hundreds of dollars.

Basically companies are out to gently caress you over.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

DamnGlitch posted:

and the piece of poo poo that comes with it is super picky about what it'll play over. Like, it wont play to my projector over a DVI but it will over VGA (???)

This is normal and has nothing to do with your player itself.

Media companies are dead set on making piracy more attractive than legit sales in ways other than cost.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Moeru posted:

I've noticed Amazon selling quite a few series like Baka Test, Angel Beats, Spice and Wolf on Blu Ray. Are any of these worth it or is it just the 720p copies?

Baka Test and Angel Beats should be 1080p. Spice and Wolf doesn't have it's rear cover art yet which would say so. But since it's Funimation, if it's not an upscale, it should be 1080p. They're pretty decent about that.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Bakatest's broadcast was super bitrate starved but all the text/pattern overlays looked like they could have been from a 1080p source so the BDs should look p good.

DamnGlitch posted:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ooh I'll have to check that out. thanks!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How much cheaper is that than something like TotalMediaTheatre (what I use)? Even then don't you have to employ a variety of hacks to get something like Media Player Classic to work with Blu-rays? And even that's only after you've decrypted it which means you can't just pop in the Blu-ray and play it on the fly. I think, at least.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
The Borrower Arrietty is finally out on BD. And sweet hopping Jesus is it ever beautiful. Probably the most lush backgrounds Ghibli's ever made.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Well this is disappointing... "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie" is on Blu-Ray today in the US, on a totally bare-bones disc that only has stereo audio tracks even though the movie was mixed and presented previously on DVD in 5.1 (the Japanese Blu-Ray had a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track). From the screenshots, the video quality looks about as good as you could hope for but still...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Cowboy-Bebop-The-Movie-Blu-ray/21270/#Review

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I'll end up getting it because I don't have the dvd version and it's so cheap anyway. However it's still really disappointing to hear.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

I'll end up getting it because I don't have the dvd version and it's so cheap anyway. However it's still really disappointing to hear.

This is exactly why I bought it.
I was a little :smith: when I opened the case and only the disc was inside. I always feel that way for bare bones releases like this, even though the price makes it pretty obvious that it would be the case.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
After being disappointed that the Baccano blu ray was an upscale, I'm being more picky with my choices. This leads me to a question..Where do you find what the original show was broadcast as? For example, Soul Eater doesn't have its back cover posted on Amazon so I'm unsure if this is an upscale or native 720 or 1080.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Soul Eater is real HD.

The broadcast resolution is completely meaningless; there's very few Japanese stations left that broadcast anything other than 1080i regardless of the source resolution (and they broadcast 480i regardless of the source resolution).

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Plorkyeran posted:

Soul Eater is real HD.

The broadcast resolution is completely meaningless; there's very few Japanese stations left that broadcast anything other than 1080i regardless of the source resolution (and they broadcast 480i regardless of the source resolution).

I think I may have not phrased my question correctly. Basically, what I'm looking for is a way to find out if a show is upscaled or not when its released on Blu Ray. Is this still the same answer?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Just a heads up, but the first 4 volumes of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood are $20 each on amazon until the 23rd. In typical fashion, I ordered volume 4 a week before this started so I missed out on $10

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
:siren: ESCAFLOWNE on Blu-ray in Japan, Feb. 2012! :siren:

Oh god this is my favorite series ever. I hope it's not upscaled rubbish, I will import it in a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
Well, it's listed as being remastered from the 35mm source, so that takes care of the "not being an upscale" thing. Looking forward to it.

• Locked thread