Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

hog wizard posted:

Was Sucker Punch just a really lovely movie or did I not "get" the movie?

Sucker Punch had issues but it was a really good movie, so if you thought it was lovely then you didn't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Romero should have taken a picture of the negative and mailed it to himself and put it in a vault.

That would only help if the issue was a claim of authorship. Nobody claims that Romero didn't make NOTLD. The issue is over rights of distribution and that the film is public domain (or at least that's the issue for Romero). Romero ended up sort of cashing back in on NOTLD when he EP'ed the 1990 remake.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Sizzlechest posted:

Did Nina in "Black Swan" stab Winona Ryder (Beth Macintyre) or did Beth really do it to herself?

The ambiguity is the entire point.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
BUT I NEED ANSWERS, MAN!!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

BUT I NEED ANSWERS, MAN!!!

That didn't look like a stab wound to me. She was shot!

:lost:

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

spikenigma posted:

Wolfman (with Benecio Del toro)

- sorry, I can't remember the characters names.

Why did Emily Blunt have to kill del Toro? The protagonist was a warewolf for two nights a month and presumably could be locked in a cage. Like his father did to himself for 25 years.

Additional, in the flashback Anthony Hopkins was holding his dead wife, and an old style razor can be seen and her cut wrists. But I thought he killed her as a warewolf?

You saw what became of Anthony Hopkins' character? The wolf takes you over in time. Also, the razor blade was merely part of del Toro's muddled memories.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

So I recently watched Primer, and what the hell happened at the end?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Fingers of Fury posted:

Which part, specifically? The very last scene is Aaron and a crew starting to build a building-size version of their device.

Also, I'll take any excuse to post this chart:

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

ProfessorClumsy posted:

You saw what became of Anthony Hopkins' character? The wolf takes you over in time. Also, the razor blade was merely part of del Toro's muddled memories.

??

I thought it was more Hopkins went crazy living in a vast lonely mansion with only his memories almost alone save for one servant (he didn't have much contact with the villagers).

Adding to the 'Hopkins was crazy'-theory is that he could have murdered his wife or she killed herself with the razorblade and her dying was completely unrelated to him being a wearwolf.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I haven't seen it since the theater but I thought that was the big twist of the movie: We're all the sudden shown that Del Toro had been in a mental hospital for years and they had conditioned him to see his mother killing herself with a razor when he actually saw a monster or his father do it or something, with claws. I think he saw his father as the monster and Hopkins was like, "this kid's crazy, take him away and cure him!" to save himself, showing what a cold-hearted bastard he is and has always been. I really liked that turn because it came out of nowhere and, and was cool and stuff. Hopkins (I think this really should be spoilered) revels in the curse and is some kind of crazy Nietzschean superman whose top priority is to be the best goddamn werewolf he can be. I guess I don't know if that answers your question at all.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

spikenigma posted:

??

I thought it was more Hopkins went crazy living in a vast lonely mansion with only his memories almost alone save for one servant (he didn't have much contact with the villagers).

Adding to the 'Hopkins was crazy'-theory is that he could have murdered his wife or she killed herself with the razorblade and her dying was completely unrelated to him being a wearwolf.

These are plot points that are pretty well explained in the film. I think it's bizarre to imagine that Hopkins' mental state is completely unrelated to his werewolfism.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ProfessorClumsy posted:

These are plot points that are pretty well explained in the film. I think it's bizarre to imagine that Hopkins' mental state is completely unrelated to his werewolfism.

I thought it was fairly clear that he was kind of a dick independent of being a werewolf, but being an abomination didn't help matters.

I didn't really care for the movie to begin with, though (since Hopkins to me was the only thing it had going for it).

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Is the Stan Grossman from Little Miss Sunshine supposed to be the same character as the Stan Grossman from Fargo?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Jay Dub posted:

Is the Stan Grossman from Little Miss Sunshine supposed to be the same character as the Stan Grossman from Fargo?
I googled "Stan Grossman" to try to remember who he was, and this was the 2nd link.

http://annex.wikia.com/wiki/Stan_Grossman_%28character%29

Heres a quote from the screenplay writer.

Michael Arndt posted:

Woven into the plot is a tribute to 'Fargo,' the superb 1996 comedy by the Coen brothers. Richard’s potential entry into the publishing world is through a man named Stan Grossman, also the name of a recovery agent in 'Fargo.' "I just assumed that people knew it was a tribute to Fargo, but people didn’t realize until we started shooting," Arndt said.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Okay, that makes sense. The character's IMDb listing makes it seem like the two are supposed to be the same character, not one character being a nod to the other.

I guess I'm just used to seeing movies try to weave themselves together by using the same characters. Sort of like Rodriguez/Tarantino, Kevin Smith, the Marvel films, etc.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Does anyone know the differences between the extended and theatrical versions of "Rango?"

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
When the movie Oldboy came out was there any discussion about how similar it was to the movie Angel Heart?

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sizzlechest posted:

Does anyone know the differences between the extended and theatrical versions of "Rango?"

Whatever it is, it's less than a minute

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Sizzlechest posted:

Extended keeps the sex scene.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

NeuroticErotica posted:

Extended keeps the sex scene.

You mean the rape scene?

The scene where Rango kisses Beans while she's incapacitated is a clear case of "KISS RAPE!"

New question: I just finished watching True Grit (2010) and I was wondering if there was a reason why half the characters had speech impediments. Was being a marblemouth symbolic for something?

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Sizzlechest posted:

Was being a marblemouth symbolic for something?

quote:

"KISS RAPE!"

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Less a specific movie question and more a general CD question, is there a thread about the upcoming John Carter of Mars movie because I've been reading a free edition of Princess of Mars and it's pretty fun pulp and I'm really interested in seeing some others thoughts on it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Less a specific movie question and more a general CD question, is there a thread about the upcoming John Carter of Mars movie because I've been reading a free edition of Princess of Mars and it's pretty fun pulp and I'm really interested in seeing some others thoughts on it.

Nope. Probably not until the trailer, anyway (which I think is supposed to be one of the trailers premiering in front of Deathly Hallows 2, along with Sherlock Holmes 2 and probably a Dark Knight Rises teaser). Right now, all we have to go on for the movie is: Taylor Kitsch looks good shirtless, and the initials for a movie called just John Carter is somehow JCM.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Sizzlechest posted:

New question: I just finished watching True Grit (2010) and I was wondering if there was a reason why half the characters had speech impediments. Was being a marblemouth symbolic for something?

I'm guessing it's like the accents in Fargo and it's really just part of the comedy.

I mean, come on, Matt Damon biting his tongue half-off and slurring for the rest of the movie? That's funny.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Fingers of Fury posted:

What happened is that through judicious use of time travel, Aaron and Abe have successfully averted the unnamed, unseen catastrophe that was about to happen in their timeline. The guy with the shotgun is in prison-- everybody is alive-- everything is fine.

Now they have to deal with the consequences of their happy ending. Specifically, there are now 2 Abes and 3 Aarons in this timeline, and the additional 1 Abe and 2 Aarons have nowhere to go. This hurts the duplicate Aarons in particular because they have a family which they must abandon. In addition, the "original" (largely oblivious) Abe and Aaron are about to start building their own time machines and start the whole process all over again.

So: the duplicate Abe (who has incidentally always been deeply envious of Aaron's family) decides to stay behind and watch the originals and sabotage their time machine project. One of the duplicate Aarons telephones the "original" Aaron and explains the entire story to him - this is the narration which runs over the top of the whole movie. And one of the duplicate Aarons (probably the other one) heads abroad and begins building a time machine the size of a warehouse.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
I rewatched A Scanner Darkly recently - the Blu-Ray looks incredible, by the way - and noticed something about the main characters. Winona Ryder, Robert Downey Jr., and Woody Harrelson were publicly convicted of crimes (Harrelson's was pretty minor, but he's still famous for being a pothead) before making this film. Since defining crime and what constitutes a criminal factor into the movie significantly, does anyone else think this casting might've been intentional?

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

dreadnought posted:

Winona Ryder, Robert Downey Jr., and Woody Harrelson were publicly convicted of crimes.
You forgot Keanu Reeves, it's more coincidental.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

dreadnought posted:

I rewatched A Scanner Darkly recently - the Blu-Ray looks incredible, by the way - and noticed something about the main characters. Winona Ryder, Robert Downey Jr., and Woody Harrelson were publicly convicted of crimes (Harrelson's was pretty minor, but he's still famous for being a pothead) before making this film. Since defining crime and what constitutes a criminal factor into the movie significantly, does anyone else think this casting might've been intentional?

Wasn't Scanner Darkly pretty low budget? They probably didn't have a massive choice in who they could cast for the movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

cloudchamber posted:

Wasn't Scanner Darkly pretty low budget? They probably didn't have a massive choice in who they could cast for the movie.

Nah, I'm pretty sure they got exactly who they wanted for the movie. Everyone is pretty much spot on. The only big difference between the characters in the book and the movie (other than combining Charles Freck and Jerry Fabin into one) is that in the book they're all a lot younger. Donna (Winona Ryder's character) is described as a teenager and Ernie Luckman (Woody Harrelson) is only 32.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
I've always wondered who was responsible about The Island ripping off The Clonus Horror? Did everyone involved know what they where doing or was it just one screenwriter sold it to dreamworks and no one else knew anything?

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Slasherfan posted:

I've always wondered who was responsible about The Island ripping off The Clonus Horror? Did everyone involved know what they where doing or was it just one screenwriter sold it to dreamworks and no one else knew anything?

I asked Alex Kurtzman when he came to my high school, and he just pawned it off on the previous writer. He was definitely aware of it, though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Slasherfan posted:

I think that if nobody else knew, the lawyers had to have figured it out before production started. But they probably had some kind of equation to demonstrate that they'd make money even if they lost a lawsuit. Clonus is the better movie, by the way.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jack Gladney posted:

Clonus is the better movie, by the way.

Clonus has a 3.3 rating on IMDb and nearly 1/3 of the votes have been a 1. Why are they being so harsh to it?

I'll watch both movies to compare sometime soon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zogo posted:

Clonus has a 3.3 rating on IMDb and nearly 1/3 of the votes have been a 1. Why are they being so harsh to it?

Probably just MST3K bandwagoning.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zogo posted:

Clonus has poo poo production values but is smarter and more thoughtful and offers a more accurate estimation of 20th-century American values.

I think the '00's and at least the early part of this decade are pretty much just like the '70's as far as being bleak stretches of rethinking and upheaval, but we're all being a lot dumber about it this time around. That's the difference between those two movies.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

In The Matrix Reloaded, when Neo meets The Oracle, she asks how he's feeling, but before he can answer, she says, "I know you're not sleepy. We'll get to that." What the hell is she talking about?

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Rake Arms posted:

In The Matrix Reloaded, when Neo meets The Oracle, she asks how he's feeling, but before he can answer, she says, "I know you're not sleepy. We'll get to that." What the hell is she talking about?

It's been a while since I've seen that, but could she have said "sleeping"?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

It's been a while since I've seen that, but could she have said "sleeping"?

I just came here to post that. If I recall correctly Neo was having nightmares in the beginning of that movie. Of course, I haven't watched the movie in a few years so take this as you will.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

I just came here to post that. If I recall correctly Neo was having nightmares in the beginning of that movie. Of course, I haven't watched the movie in a few years so take this as you will.

That would make sense, but it really sounded like she said "sleepy." I'm probably wrong, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

:eng101: Fact: roughly 2/3 of the lines delivered in that movie don't actually make any sense.