Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Guy I train with at judo just got second at nationals. Great kid. He's a real prodigy. 66kg division I think.

e: my sensei got 2nd in his division.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Huh, apparently Bigfoot Silva is gonna be in ADCC this year.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
That's pretty cool. Its not exactly a talent rich weight

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Bundt Cake posted:

That's pretty cool. Its not exactly a talent rich weight

At ADCC 2009 Saulo Ribeiro and Romulo Barral both fought at 99kg+ despite walking around somewhere between 190-200 lbs. I hope Rodrigo Cavaca gets an invite to ADCC, I think his style would translate pretty well no-gi.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

At ADCC 2009 Saulo Ribeiro and Romulo Barral both fought at 99kg+ despite walking around somewhere between 190-200 lbs. I hope Rodrigo Cavaca gets an invite to ADCC, I think his style would translate pretty well no-gi.

Plus I think Cyborg is in the 99+ this year again

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Is there much in the way of weight cutting for the ADCC?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Is there much in the way of weight cutting for the ADCC?

There's gonna be a lot less this year; the new rules have you weighing in like an hour before your first match, and the judges can request a second weigh-in (with a 2kg allowance) at any time during the competition.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

fatherdog posted:

There's gonna be a lot less this year; the new rules have you weighing in like an hour before your first match, and the judges can request a second weigh-in (with a 2kg allowance) at any time during the competition.

This makes it more fair right? Or is it one of those things that everyone despises and says it ruins the comp?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Nierbo posted:

This makes it more fair right? Or is it one of those things that everyone despises and says it ruins the comp?

Well, it applies to everybody, so it's fair in that regard. It sucks a little more for people who naturally fall between weight classes (since in adcc there's a 22 pound spread between classes) but any system with weight classes is rough that way.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Probably a dumb question, but is it 2lb off the weight class weight or is it 2lb off what you weighed in at?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
God all this talk makes me hard for same day MMA weigh ins. Pride never die! (Because they didn't really cut weight...)

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nierbo posted:

Probably a dumb question, but is it 2lb off the weight class weight or is it 2lb off what you weighed in at?

I'd imagine you're allowed to go up or down 4.4 pounds (2kg) either side seeing as some guys will probably sweat a bit while competing or fire down a small meal, drinking water etc.

It makes some sense. That there'll be a fluctuation depending on when they hit the scales.

I'd say it's just to stop someone cutting 10 pounds of weight or something and then trying to re-hydrate and re-energise in time to get on the mat, which I would think would be pretty counter productive anyway.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Speaking of ADCC here's a good list of people confirmed so far

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/adcc-2011-competitor-list-1672509/

It will be interesting to see how the final invites shake out, there's a lot of really good guys that could be invited so I hope they do a better job than they did in '09. There's a couple of guys invited who I'd just as soon not be but they're by and large former medalists so whatever.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
hahahah Jared Rosholt

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It would never happen for a lot of reasons, but I've always said that they should do before/after weigh ins and if you are too far off either it's a DQ or has some other negative consequence.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

It would never happen for a lot of reasons, but I've always said that they should do before/after weigh ins and if you are too far off either it's a DQ or has some other negative consequence.

That's what they're doing. At any point during the tournament judges can request a second weigh in, and if you're more than 2kg off you're DQed.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
ya but how often are they going to do that? I guess if a guy just looks huge but it seems sort of hit or miss.

Still, I'm happy they are doing something to address weight cutting.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

fatherdog posted:

hahahah Jared Rosholt

we'll see who is laughing when he out points EVERYBODY

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

dokomoy posted:

Speaking of ADCC here's a good list of people confirmed so far

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/adcc-2011-competitor-list-1672509/

It will be interesting to see how the final invites shake out, there's a lot of really good guys that could be invited so I hope they do a better job than they did in '09. There's a couple of guys invited who I'd just as soon not be but they're by and large former medalists so whatever.

thanks for that link and your mundials write ups earlier

adcc looks like its gonna own this year

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
ADCC always owns. 30 min grappling matches! beastly. 99+ kg was a wild affair last year, idk what that dude was talking about, Antonio Silva is a welcome addition, but I dont think he'll be the star of this show.

I just wish budovideos streams were still free =(

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
september can't come soon enough

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fatherdog posted:

That's what they're doing. At any point during the tournament judges can request a second weigh in, and if you're more than 2kg off you're DQed.

drat, that is the most serious anti weight cutting rules I've ever seen. Did they have some guys die or something?

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Thoguh posted:

drat, that is the most serious anti weight cutting rules I've ever seen. Did they have some guys die or something?

No, obviously some guys had to work really hard to make weight but I don't remember hearing anything about anyone needing medical attention as a result of their weight cut.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Here's a video of my coach Jean Jacques Machado getting his red/black belt from Rickson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpAfCXc9ciU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Thoguh posted:

maybe they just like people to fight in the weight class they weigh in for

Scabscar
Sep 30, 2008
i keep forgetting gomi will be at ADCC this year and it makes me smile each time i see it.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Scabscar posted:

i keep forgetting gomi will be at ADCC this year and it makes me smile each time i see it.
8. Marcelo Garcia(confirmed invitation)
9. Gunnar Nelson (confirmed invitation)
10. Leo Viera(confirmed invitation)
11. JT Torres (Lloyd Irvin Facebook)

Tough crowd.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

quote:

“How can I say no to an invitation like that?” replied Renzo Gracie, 43, in his usual exhuberant manner, upon receiving the invitation from Ricardo De La Riva, 45, over the phone.

That’s how two legends of the martial arts candidly agreed to face off – a rematch to mark the creator of the De La Riva guard’s farewell to sport Jiu-Jitsu.

The dream matchup is set to go down October 16, a Sunday, in Rio de Janeiro. The venue for the event is none other than the Maracanăzinho gymnasium, the very stage where Ricardo’s late master and Renzo’s uncle, Grandmaster Carlson Gracie, used to fight.

Renzo's gonna have a busy autumn.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

the periodic fable posted:

maybe they just like people to fight in the weight class they weigh in for

Well, college wrestling had guys die before they instituted any kind of weight cutting rules, and even now it is nowhere near that. Having to weigh in on consecutive days is pretty standard for wrestling, and I know that there are BJJ tournaments where you weigh in before every match, but I'd never heard of having to make weight at all times during a tournament.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

fatherdog posted:

Renzo's gonna have a busy autumn.

This is about 100 times more exciting than Eddie vs Royler. Both of those dudes own.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Whups -

quote:

Ricardo De La Riva will be having his farewell fight. However, it won’t be against Renzo Gracie, who previously made the claim to GRACIEMAG.com himself. A source close to the master, responsible for negotiating the match but preferring not have his identity revealed, contacted the newsroom and addressed the subject of the farewell match.

“There really will be a major event with superfights to mark De La Riva’s farewell. What happened was that the organizers of the event contacted Renzo without De La Riva knowing about it, and they proposed the challenge. Renzo, unaware of what was going on, promptly accepted. It was a big misunderstanding, though. Renzo didn’t lie; the offer really was made to him and he accepted. But Ricardo knew nothing of it. At this moment he happens to be in South Korea,” said the anonymous source.

“It will be a farewell match and Renzo must be about 20kg heavier than De La Riva right now. That’s not what we have in mind for the match. However, we’re close to sealing the deal with another major opponent, who leaves nothing to be desired. I can’t say who it is yet, but it’s someone with history in Jiu-Jitsu. I’ll give you a hint, they’ve faced each other before,” he adds.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
I hope it's Yuki Nakai. And I hope they make an awesome rvddw shirt to commemorate the match.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Who Gotch Ya posted:

awesome rvddw shirt to commemorate the match.

I want one of their Purple Gi's just to have something different than the sea of Korals I see everywhere but so expensive. I need a new Gi, anyone have good recommendations?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Coitus_Interruptus posted:

I want one of their Purple Gi's just to have something different than the sea of Korals I see everywhere but so expensive. I need a new Gi, anyone have good recommendations?

koral mkm, whats wrong with you!?

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I hope it's Yuki Nakai. And I hope they make an awesome rvddw shirt to commemorate the match.
This was my first thought as well.

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

OrangeCrush posted:

koral mkm, whats wrong with you!?
I don't like my koral mkm. I have a koral, a vulkan ultra light and just recently an atama ultra light and the atama is by far my favourite.

The koral is quality and a good gi but the pants string is useless and it's pretty heavy

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8g8iJdjtOs

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
ahahaha Rorion immediately gets wrist control.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That is an epic prank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

fatherdog posted:

Whups -

Gahhh they didn't want to talk about it at the DLR seminar I was at the other week but dammit he is so good I want to see super fight NOW!