Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Why do drivers get all pissed off when they almost hit me? Somebody started to merge into my lane last night, but I saw it coming well in advance and was already backing off to let them have it. They then see me suddenly, and violently jerk back into their lane, slow way the gently caress down, and merge over behind me. I of course was making a right turn (and had my blinker on and everything), so I turned off right after they pulled in behind me. As soon as they drove past me, they yelled something I couldn't understand out the window, but that was obviously offensive and not something that would make more sense like "SORRY I ALMOST KILLED YOU."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Probably the same reason why the cyclist (complete with spandex EVERYTHING) who almost collided with me yesterday got pissed and yelled at me for "being in his way".

"gently caress YOU, GOT MINE!"

Never mind that he was breaking the speed limit on his bicycle and tried to cut straight across the roundabout instead of using the bicycle lane.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

KozmoNaut posted:

Probably the same reason why the cyclist (complete with spandex EVERYTHING) who almost collided with me yesterday got pissed and yelled at me for "being in his way".

"gently caress YOU, GOT MINE!"

Never mind that he was breaking the speed limit on his bicycle and tried to cut straight across the roundabout instead of using the bicycle lane.

I heard that if you think you're going to hit a bicyclist, you should speed up cause then you'll just cut him in half.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Gnaghi posted:

I heard that if you think you're going to hit a bicyclist, you should speed up cause then you'll just cut him in half.

It's far more humane that way, yeah. The MSF does recommend emergency braking when facing collision with a bicyclist though, because they're unpredictable and probably on drugs. I know most people like a good head-butt as you pass by, but I strongly advise against it because it can actually gently caress up your helmet.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I dunno about that, but those dreads might have lice and stuff so best not to chance it.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Probably the same reason why the cyclist (complete with spandex EVERYTHING)

This brings up a question I had. Why is it cool and awesome for a motorcyclist to gear up but when a bicyclist is similarly attired in gear, they are made fun of? I gear up to make the ride more pleasant on both my motorcycle and bicycle, although I don't own spandex stuff - I wear wool jerseys and regular shorts or pants. On the moto it's a one-piece.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

KozmoNaut posted:

Goddammit, some loving punk let his goddamn dog piss all over the loving wheel of my goddamn bike.

How do I best inflict grievous bodily harm upon him and/or get his dog to stop pissing on my bike, since the owner is clearly not smart enough to manage it.

Personally, I'd keep watch and when you see it go out and say "Excuse me, why are you letting your dog piss on my bike?"

Hopefully he'll be embarrassed enough by being caught to stop.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

This brings up a question I had. Why is it cool and awesome for a motorcyclist to gear up but when a bicyclist is similarly attired in gear, they are made fun of? I gear up to make the ride more pleasant on both my motorcycle and bicycle, although I don't own spandex stuff - I wear wool jerseys and regular shorts or pants. On the moto it's a one-piece.

Spandex is useful stuff - it's stretchy, doesn't catch on stuff or impede movement, is light etc.

I don't wear spandex jerseys personally, if only because they're all covered in marketing poo poo or Cycle-Team-I-Don't-Care-About silliness. But I can't see anything to hate about them other than that.

The "little matelot" style caps people wear despite not being French and the risk of serious head injury? Those are pretty weak - mostly because of the head injury thing though.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

KozmoNaut posted:

Goddammit, some loving punk let his goddamn dog piss all over the loving wheel of my goddamn bike.

How do I best inflict grievous bodily harm upon him and/or get his dog to stop pissing on my bike, since the owner is clearly not smart enough to manage it.

I'll take dog piss over fork oil anyday.

... I really want to ride my bike now.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Anyone attending the Grapevine, TX ticket to ride Kawasaki demo day? It's this weekend on the 25th/26th, I'll probably go both days.

Really want to try out the ZX14 and compare the Ninja 1000 to the Z1000. Maybe get a ride on the new ZX-10, too. I'm hoping it'll be less busy than the one last November at the IMS at the Dallas Convention Center.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 21, 2011

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

It might be a cat... I had a cat in my apartment complex that would climb up on the bumper of my Subaru to spray all over the trunk. It took me almost a year of cleaning it almost daily to catch the fucker. I thought something was leaking from the ceiling above my parking spot :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SaNChEzZ posted:

It might be a cat... I had a cat in my apartment complex that would climb up on the bumper of my Subaru to spray all over the trunk. It took me almost a year of cleaning it almost daily to catch the fucker. I thought something was leaking from the ceiling above my parking spot :(

I've had dogs and intact male cats as pets before, this was definitely dog. Probably the same dog that barks at me every time I park my bike.

So far, I've taken the :effort: step of parking on the other side of the building. We'll see if it continues there.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
whoops wrong thread

nsaP fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 21, 2011

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

KozmoNaut posted:

I've had dogs and intact male cats as pets before, this was definitely dog. Probably the same dog that barks at me every time I park my bike.

So far, I've taken the :effort: step of parking on the other side of the building. We'll see if it continues there.

Get a security system that electrifies the bike when it's parked. He might do it once more, but that'll be it.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
This dog thing is like the "is my roommate masturbating with my toothbrush" thread in GBS for arousing titilated goonrage.

Well played Kozmo! :golfclap:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saga posted:

This dog thing is like the "is my roommate masturbating with my toothbrush" thread in GBS for arousing titilated goonrage.

I am in fact genuinely angry about it, believe it or not.

I'm so loving sick of irresponsible pet owners that take no responsibility for what their pets do. When did everyone become inconsiderate dickbags? :(

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Saga posted:

Any biker will get angry if someone starts talking about someone messing with their ride. It's not a goon thing.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Not sure if this is the best thread, but I'm purchasing my first bike after taking the basic rider's safety course and riding a buddy's Harley a few times up and down the road. I have it narrowed down to either a Shadow 750 or a Boulevard M50. I found THIS M50 on craigslist locally and wanted to get some feedback about this model, the price offered, and its appropriateness for a new rider. I am a cautious driver and not someone who will take unnecessary risks or drive without a helmet or do dumb poo poo intentionally. Thanks in advance for any help you could provide.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Unzip and Attack posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread, but I'm purchasing my first bike after taking the basic rider's safety course and riding a buddy's Harley a few times up and down the road. I have it narrowed down to either a Shadow 750 or a Boulevard M50. I found THIS M50 on craigslist locally and wanted to get some feedback about this model, the price offered, and its appropriateness for a new rider. I am a cautious driver and not someone who will take unnecessary risks or drive without a helmet or do dumb poo poo intentionally. Thanks in advance for any help you could provide.

M50s are really fun. I road one initially, and ended up with an M109 as my first bike. All things considered, I would rather have gone with the lighter model. The fact that this one has the saddle bags from the m109 is pretty cool. That will be useful and those are pretty pricey.

\/\/\/ Hey! I resemble that remark.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 21, 2011

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Both are fine for beginners. The big thing with cruisers for beginners is to not get a super heavy monstrosity.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Any opinion as to the comfort level of the Suzuki vs. the Shadow? I've sat on both at the dealership and both seemed fine, but I've never driven either, much less for 10+ miles. The M50 seems to have a nice wheelbase, but no idea how it handles.

A friend of mine added that he wouldn't pay more than 4k for the Suzuki I linked. Thoughts?

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Unzip and Attack posted:

Any opinion as to the comfort level of the Suzuki vs. the Shadow? I've sat on both at the dealership and both seemed fine, but I've never driven either, much less for 10+ miles. The M50 seems to have a nice wheelbase, but no idea how it handles.

A friend of mine added that he wouldn't pay more than 4k for the Suzuki I linked. Thoughts?

The Shadows are very, very comfortable. But they're a bit gutless at 750. Good first bike for sure.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
That seems reasonable. The bags are pricey, and the guy is playing up that it's in great shape.

Dealers would probably try to get near 5 for it.

Try to talk him down, and if you find a honda later, instead, get that. They're pretty similar bikes. I only fixated on the boulevard because I tried about everything and it was the only one that fit me (I'm kind of tall). Though it was a little tight when I cranked the handlebars all the way over for tight turns.

Of course the 109 fits fine, but can't turn as tightly, I don't think. So I guess it was a lot of making excuses to get a bigger bike.

Years down the road, I definitely want a lighter bike, and I guess if I could go back in time, I'd have got the 900.

I was also looking at the honda equivalent and didn't like it as much. But they're very similar, and that was just part of some kind of computer chip in my head that loves suzuki products.

Don't over think it, just go with the one that you think you enjoy more. I think any cruiser is pretty uncomfortable on long rides, unless you put some money into the seat. Though, come to think of it, I don't think I got butt fatigue on the 109 when I went from seattle to portland so much as I froze my rear end off (it was november and I took a mesh jacket over a flannel jacket with jeans, which didn't cut it).

This concludes my barely useful info.

Wear warm clothes.

The boulevard is a good bike though. Can't speak too in depth on the honda.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

KozmoNaut posted:

I am in fact genuinely angry about it, believe it or not.

I'm so loving sick of irresponsible pet owners that take no responsibility for what their pets do. When did everyone become inconsiderate dickbags? :(

You are one lucky fucker only dealing with pet-piss. I live in a rural area inhabited almost exclusively by the upper middle class. You know what that means? loving horses.

I honestly wouldn't mind if they were used as actual transport. In fact, I'd love to ride a horse to work, that would be cowboy-as, but unfortunately that is not the world we live in. I don't care if you want to keep a two ton walking poo poo-machine as your pet but leaving giant heaps of slippery poo poo on the roads is a health hazard and a clear and real danger to people on two-wheel transport as well as being loving disgusting.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Douchecanoe encounter yesterday, in a no in-lane passing state. Unsettled me, on the way into work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SJ5GMIWT9c

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

You are one lucky fucker only dealing with pet-piss. I live in a rural area inhabited almost exclusively by the upper middle class. You know what that means? loving horses.

I honestly wouldn't mind if they were used as actual transport. In fact, I'd love to ride a horse to work, that would be cowboy-as, but unfortunately that is not the world we live in. I don't care if you want to keep a two ton walking poo poo-machine as your pet but leaving giant heaps of slippery poo poo on the roads is a health hazard and a clear and real danger to people on two-wheel transport as well as being loving disgusting.

It's basically just grass. Not really very disgusting unless something's badly wrong with the horse.

I haven't had any issues with crashing on horse poo, even in Surrey. People driving diesels would be a better target I would have thought? Much more slippery, and frequently less visible than poo - for example, T junctions and roundabouts used by lorries, where it soaks in gradually and then comes back out when it rains, but completely invisibly.

Also, I think if you asked a horse, they might point out their ancestors were using the highways and byways long before anyone invented the motorcar and decided to cover the roads in tarmac, thus forcing them to poo on a hard surface.

Remember that while we do have roads only for motor vehicles (called...motorways), the rest of our roads are available for cyclists, unicyclists, cartwheelists and horse riders as much as they are for people in motor vehicles. If we're going to have strict rules about being perfectly respectful of other road users' preferences, presumably there could be no objection to, for example, reducing rural speed limits to 10 or 20mph, thus ensuring that cyclists, pedestrians and riders don't get strafed / run over by errant car drivers.

Swings and roundabouts I fear!

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

the walkin dude posted:

Douchecanoe encounter yesterday, in a no in-lane passing state. Unsettled me, on the way into work.

One question. Were you indicating to go right? Driver probably just saw the blinker and thought, "he's going right, it's okay for me to pass him."

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Whoops, browser froze and I must have double posted then added more. Fuckin' windows 7 has been stuttering recently :/

ignore

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 21, 2011

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

the walkin dude posted:

I remember reading somewhere about "owning your lane", which just basically means riding away from the shoulder to keep jerks from doing exactly that. Hats off to you for not chasing him/her down and screaming at them at the next light, I might have flipped out and done that had it been me.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Saga posted:

It's basically just grass. Not really very disgusting unless something's badly wrong with the horse.

I haven't had any issues with crashing on horse poo, even in Surrey. People driving diesels would be a better target I would have thought? Much more slippery, and frequently less visible than poo - for example, T junctions and roundabouts used by lorries, where it soaks in gradually and then comes back out when it rains, but completely invisibly.

Also, I think if you asked a horse, they might point out their ancestors were using the highways and byways long before anyone invented the motorcar and decided to cover the roads in tarmac, thus forcing them to poo on a hard surface.

Remember that while we do have roads only for motor vehicles (called...motorways), the rest of our roads are available for cyclists, unicyclists, cartwheelists and horse riders as much as they are for people in motor vehicles. If we're going to have strict rules about being perfectly respectful of other road users' preferences, presumably there could be no objection to, for example, reducing rural speed limits to 10 or 20mph, thus ensuring that cyclists, pedestrians and riders don't get strafed / run over by errant car drivers.

Swings and roundabouts I fear!

People aren't allowed to litter, their horses shouldn't either.

I didn't read from his post that he was that upset at horses, more that an owner neglected to pick up something their vehicle left in the road.

Is that a hard concept? I wouldn't want carparts or bike parts or human poo poo or garbage in the road either. Leaking fluids sucks, and owners should try to avoid it. You can't avoid poo poo but you can put a diaper on the horse or clean it up.

If we want to go back real far in history I'm sure there's a lot of native species that are wondering what the gently caress we're doing to their land.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

the walkin dude posted:

No surprise it was a Subaru! Subarus are my enemy.

I usually ride in the left track before turning right to defend my lane position from go-tards like that, and to widen the turn so I have room to react in case I need to.

edit to not stack replies:

Unzip and Attack posted:

I rode a Shadow 750 Aero around for a little bit recently and I can't say I enjoy the chassis dynamics at all, especially on slow tight maneuvers, and it is definitely a gutless pig.

There's an S83 in your area which would probably be a lot of fun, too. The 50 has keep-up power, the 83 has blast-off power. http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/2452294382.html My first bike was similar (a BUBF Vulcan 1500)

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 21, 2011

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

the walkin dude posted:

Jesus. :stare:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Holy poo poo walkin dude, you almost interrupted that persons text messaging!

Just got home from an epic daytrip. It's 4 AM, started out a little over 9 AM. Around 600 km total. Could have been 3-4 hours shorter, due to Bad Decision Dinosaur being my detour advisor. None the worse for wear, apart from perhaps a big fine as I rode over some fresh asphalt ahead of a Follow Me vehicle. I guess I shouldn't have passed it. He passed me again, stopped (holding up the entire line of cars, I felt quite dumb at that point), took down my registration and said something. I don't know what, didn't bother turning down the krautrock, was in the zone. I said sorry.

Went to see a very isolated farm, a massive waterfall, some more waterfalls, took a 500 feet bootshot, awesome twisties, took a massive amount of pics. Will start Lightrooming them tomorrow, now sleep.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

I'm not saying this to just be a dick, but why are you so far over to the right of the lane? The guy was probably confused thinking you wanted him to pass, especially since your blinker was likely on.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

hayden. posted:

I'm not saying this to just be a dick, but why are you so far over to the right of the lane? The guy was probably confused thinking you wanted him to pass, especially since your blinker was likely on.

Agreed. 'Protect' the lane... unless you're in the HOV lane, in which case I usually sit in the far left so I don't get loving owned if someone decides to get into the HOV lane from stopped traffic.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Ola posted:

Holy poo poo walkin dude, you almost interrupted that persons text messaging!

Just got home from an epic daytrip. It's 4 AM, started out a little over 9 AM. Around 600 km total. Could have been 3-4 hours shorter, due to Bad Decision Dinosaur being my detour advisor. None the worse for wear, apart from perhaps a big fine as I rode over some fresh asphalt ahead of a Follow Me vehicle. I guess I shouldn't have passed it. He passed me again, stopped (holding up the entire line of cars, I felt quite dumb at that point), took down my registration and said something. I don't know what, didn't bother turning down the krautrock, was in the zone. I said sorry.

Went to see a very isolated farm, a massive waterfall, some more waterfalls, took a 500 feet bootshot, awesome twisties, took a massive amount of pics. Will start Lightrooming them tomorrow, now sleep.

For those of us who were ignorant like me "Follow me car": http://translate.google.com/transla...l%26prmd%3Divns although it only marginally clears things up.

hayden. posted:

Like the clutchpuck above said as well (it may not have been seen in the edit) it also gives you more options of a line thru the turn than crowding the inside of it.

-----

I'm slowly getting friends into motorcycling, and I'm loving it. Personally, I know I'll have bikes my whole life. For them I'm sure it's quite different, but I can't wait to have some fun while we're all early 20s and before any of them have unsupportive partners and/or (knock on wood) kids. It's snowballing as well, and it's fantastic.

I've ridden for years now, but they never really get see the fun of it and even when I've escorted my friend in his convertible on a nice route it still doesn't compare. You can't completely describe to someone what it's like to be on one, they just know once they've done it. Well, one of my acquaintances got himself a cheap Virago to learn on, and my other buddies seem to have decided "Well if it's possible for /John/ to have a bike, I sure as hell could get one!"

Got 2 people signed up for the MSF. Another buddy took the MSF with me about 5 years ago when he was a senior in HS but never really rode much after. He's got the bug too, and even has some BMWs in the garage collecting dust! They're big and heavy and wrong for him now, but the right trade...

So excited.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 22, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

nsaP posted:

Is that a hard concept? I wouldn't want carparts or bike parts or human poo poo or garbage in the road either. Leaking fluids sucks, and owners should try to avoid it. You can't avoid poo poo but you can put a diaper on the horse or clean it up.

You can't really.

But in any case, you're elevating a bit of poo in the road above any other form of inconvenience or disruption.

Why is it that the risks and externalities imposed by people driving cars or riding motorcycles are OK to impose on everyone else, but a horse pooping occasionally is beyond the pale?

e: I'm referring specifically to those imposed by "normal" operation, not bits of car and the results of leaking high pressure fuel systems on the road etc.

Saga fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 22, 2011

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I see where you're coming from, I'm a city slicker I guess. I don't feel like I'm elevating it over any disruption. In my mind, if you're operating a vehicle on the road(I consider the horse a vehicle, I think this is where we differ), you have a responsibility to "leave it as you found it". My frustration is not with the poop but with the owner, which I think I made clear before. As far as country road life goes, I can only accept it because they live there, I'm just a visitor enjoying their roads.

I realize my tone(in the previous post) can sound hostile but I'm not. I should work on that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saga posted:

People driving diesels would be a better target I would have thought? Much more slippery, and frequently less visible than poo - for example, T junctions and roundabouts used by lorries, where it soaks in gradually and then comes back out when it rains, but completely invisibly.

I stepped in a small diesel spill a couple of weeks ago as I was filling up my car. Even though I tried getting it off with a tissue, I could hardly keep my foot on the clutch, there was basically zero friction. It was a very gentle drive home.

Just one more reason to cheer for biodiesel. It's significantly more biodegradeable and can be washed away with water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

nsaP posted:

For those of us who were ignorant like me "Follow me car":

Sorry about that, left out about a paragraph of context. Roadworks, they were laying asphalt in one lane so traffic was stopped and let through one direction at a time, behind a "Follow Me" car.

I agree on diesel. I've had one small slip myself but experienced a massive tailslide in a taxi once, going through a tunnel used by buses and taxis. When the buses are recently filled up, diesel splashes out at the same corner in the tunnel.

It's ripe for a kicking from the environmentalists, for some reason (poorly designed venting?) it's not expressively illegal to have fuel splash out of a normal tank in normal use, causing risk to vehicles and damage to the environment.