Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macnigore
Aug 9, 2008

MoFauxHawk posted:

So I'm the only Northwestern 0L? It feels like we don't have a lot of people going to law school in the fall in this thread this year. I guess that's a good thing. People actually followed the strictest criteria so it's pretty much just me and the duck guy at Harvard. Or people just don't want to admit that they're going to law school.

I vaguely remember that you got into Harvard am I wrong ? If that's right I guess you got money at Northwestern ? If so, how much ? Just curious.

[Edit] Wow, full scholarship. Impressive ! Congrats.

Macnigore fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Macnigore posted:

I vaguely remember that you got into Harvard am I wrong ? If that's right I guess you got money at Northwestern ? If so, how much ? Just curious.
You're wrong, and he got a full scholarship to Northwestern

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
:canada:chat:

Penguins Like Pies posted:

Horray Canadian articling goon! :hfive:

So what will you be doing for the CRTC?

Mostly research/advisory opinion stuff and drafting various legal instruments, I suspect, though I know I'll be involved in the occasional actual regulatory hearing and whatever administrative litigation we get stuck in. Or maybe someone will Charter-challenge us again!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Congrats! Do they do any hireback?

They only hire one articling student a year, and there actually seems a decent chance at hireback if there are positions open - which given the party in power is not necessarily a sure thing! One of my old classmates is articling there this year, I haven't heard if she's staying on yet (I know she wants to) but I think she put in a good word for me alongside the rest of my references.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I found out today that one of my friends is articling for $350/week. That comes out to less than minimum wage assuming a 40 hour work week.

:stare: At this rate I'm going to have to revise my forecast of the Canadian legal market closer to "don't go no jobs die alone".

Any luck for you two?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

What is this "articling" thing? Never heard of it (in my rampant US centricism).

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

Mostly research/advisory opinion stuff and drafting various legal instruments, I suspect, though I know I'll be involved in the occasional actual regulatory hearing and whatever administrative litigation we get stuck in. Or maybe someone will Charter-challenge us again!
Yay! Charter challenges! For how crappy I did in constitution, I surprisingly think Charter challenges are fun. I'm waiting for the ONCA's judgment on whether prostitution laws violate s. 7.

In an interview with a crim defence firm, I got asked about my constitution mark. I responded with my usual "studied for a closed book exam the way one would study for an open book example" and then ended it with "But it's not like we learned about s. 7-14 of the Charter anyways". :downsrim: They chose my friend (who had better marks) over me.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Any luck for you two?
I got hired back with my firm (who told everyone who inquired that they weren't hiring - ha ha). I had been getting mega hints from my firm about it for the two weeks leading up to call date but I was still a wreck in the morning when no one called me (even though I had gotten all my rejections from every place except one already).

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I found out today that one of my friends is articling for $350/week. That comes out to less than minimum wage assuming a 40 hour work week.
That really takes articling being slave labour to a whole new level. And I thought it was ridiculous that my friend is making less money summering at a civil firm than when I was working for my school's non-profit student clinic. What type of firm is it?

Kalman posted:

What is this "articling" thing? Never heard of it (in my rampant US centricism).
Someone who's actually articling can give a better answer, but long story short, it's the year of practical experience you get after law school while you take your bar courses. You become a fancy "student-at-law". I've compared it to a residency for med school (except it's after we get our degree) to non-law people.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

nic olas posted:

So what's a better choice, Davis or Hastings? Hastings is going to be 10k cheaper because of a grant. Where I live isn't a priority since both have their upsides/downside. Are the academics any different for either school? I know that I shouldn't care too much about rankings but Davis has been doing pretty well. Anyone going to either school?

First, I suggest you treat yourself to a nice masturbation and flesh out this "location matters/doesn't matter" dilemma because I'm getting mixed signals from your posts. If location matters, Hastings all the way, especially with the tuition break. My friends from Hasting generally enjoy their class time as much as the next law student, but a lot seem more content with life overall because they have a badass city to run around in. This is not at all the case at Davis, which has a rep for a bit of a drinking culture because there isn't poo poo else to do there.

Now as for jobs. If you want to do PI in the Bay, and your dead set on going this year and not reapplying to get into one of the two big NorCal schools, I still say Hastings. Your angle depends a bit on doing good clinics and volunteer work while in law school to get stuff on the resume. This in addition to killer grades, journal etc. etc. Realize now however (as some have alluded to here) that PI in the Bay is coveted and very hard to get.

Overall if you're just trying to get any job and don't care much about where you live or where the job is, Davis. Otherwise, my vote is Hastings. Really my vote is sit out a year and take LSAT again - Cali has so many law schools, some of which are decent for their region, which makes the location argument relevant in my opinion.

E: Incidentally MFH, there are a few Northwestern folks in SD this summer being SAs. Maybe get with them if you're interested in the area since they scored gigs without strong ties back here - that's unusual for this city.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 22, 2011

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

That really takes articling being slave labour to a whole new level. And I thought it was ridiculous that my friend is making less money summering at a civil firm than when I was working for my school's non-profit student clinic. What type of firm is it?

It's a small firm or solo specializing in mentally ill clients and mental health work.

I've got an interview tomorrow for a $500/week crim defence gig. It's a loving third of what the Bay St. crew is making, and their firms paid all of their bar costs, too.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Thank you for all the law school advice, everybody (and thank you, Macnigore). This is what I was hoping would happen, it's been very helpful. In return you can all have positions in my presidential campaign.

I forgot about the NYU guy. I think he has a full panda scholarship. So that's two T14 no-debters and a Harvard man. So far everybody would get the green light from BigHead. I think everyone else is just too scared of being torn apart by the thread though.

Edit: Thanks, Sigma. I've only been to SD once and SF's weather fits me better, but even general advice about how to get a job in a city you don't have ties to would probably be useful.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 22, 2011

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Congrats on your offer, PLP, that's a load off your back I'm sure. Crim defense? I forgot what your summer firm does. Good luck on your interview, Smirnoff, even though the pay looks lovely. :/

Yay! Charter challenges! For how crappy I did in constitution, I surprisingly think Charter challenges are fun. I'm waiting for the ONCA's judgment on whether prostitution laws violate s. 7.

Constitutional Law was the first law school exam I ever took, and boy did it show on the transcript. :smith: I think everybody is watching that case, though, even though we all know it'll end up at the SCC. But I love Charter challenges too: s. 1 means they're basically All Policy Arguments All The Time and I'm the kind of law student who really should have taken an MPP instead.

quote:

In an interview with a crim defence firm, I got asked about my constitution mark. I responded with my usual "studied for a closed book exam the way one would study for an open book example" and then ended it with "But it's not like we learned about s. 7-14 of the Charter anyways". :downsrim: They chose my friend (who had better marks) over me.

Heh, I got asked about my bad marks too - it helped that two of the three worst ones were in Contracts and Corporations, I guess, so I was able to tell the truth "Because I don't really care about those areas of law" - and was able to counterbalance it with a bunch of glowing marks and references saying "but he does really care about THESE areas of law and this is what he can do when he cares".

quote:

but long story short, it's the year of practical experience you get after law school while you take your bar courses. You become a fancy "student-at-law". I've compared it to a residency for med school (except it's after we get our degree) to non-law people.

This is a Good Answer and I use that analogy all the time myself.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

nm posted:

No one should want to go to law school.

I would normally say davis. The exception might be government work for counties (like PD, which might be public interest). Hastings seems to ahve been connections to counties with money and might be able to get you an internship with an office that can hire you, unlike the poor Yolo and SAC offices.
Even then, I'd still say go to Davis.

You should note that davis has only been out of the 30s for a few years and may drop back down, right now impressions of the school locally haven't changed.
Davis has done a pretty good job ignoring Sacramento firms, but i think they have focused on bay area firms.

What do you mean by public interest. There probably aren't jobs in that.

Oh, wait, you have $10k/yr to go to hastings? Go to hastings.

Don't go to law school though.

Hahaha what were you drinking last night bud? I know a drunkposting nm when I see a drunkposting nm.

Davis/Hastings guy: I went to Davis, and I agree 100% with what sigmachiev said.

srsly fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 22, 2011

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

MoFauxHawk posted:

Thank you for all the law school advice, everybody (and thank you, Macnigore). This is what I was hoping would happen, it's been very helpful. In return you can all have positions in my presidential campaign.

I forgot about the NYU guy. I think he has a full panda scholarship. So that's two T14 no-debters and a Harvard man. So far everybody would get the green light from BigHead. I think everyone else is just too scared of being torn apart by the thread though.

Edit: Thanks, Sigma. I've only been to SD once and SF's weather fits me better, but even general advice about how to get a job in a city you don't have ties to would probably be useful.

Where are you living in the fall? Let's get drinks sometime, no homo. Or, well, "the northwestern difference" etc.

EDIT: How important are 1L/2L summer positions for public interest careers? Obviously it's not the same summer-hire thing that permeates firm work, but am I going to get panda cred for previous panda work, or do they care? I'm at a super public-interesty thing now but I've gotten conflicting reviews on how important "loyalty" is for hiring.

Direwolf fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 22, 2011

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Direwolf posted:

Where are you living in the fall? Let's get drinks sometime, no homo. Or, well, "the northwestern difference" etc.

McClurg. Sounds good, homo or no. ^_>^ (no homo)

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

I've compared it to a residency for med school (except it's after we get our degree) to non-law people.

Residency is after MDs get their degrees, too.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/michele-bachmanns-holy-war-20110622?print=true

Taibbi posted:

Young Michele found Jesus at age 16, not long before she went away to Winona State University and met a doltish, like-minded believer named Marcus Bachmann. After finishing college, the two committed young Christians moved to Oklahoma, where Michele entered one of the most ridiculous learning institutions in the Western Hemisphere, a sort of highway rest area with legal accreditation called the O.W. Coburn School of Law; Michele was a member of its inaugural class in 1979.

Originally a division of Oral Roberts University, this august academy, dedicated to the teaching of "the law from a biblical worldview," has gone through no fewer than three names — including the Christian Broadcasting Network School of Law. Those familiar with the darker chapters in George W. Bush's presidency might recognize the school's current name, the Regent University School of Law. Yes, this was the tiny educational outhouse that, despite being the 136th-ranked law school in the country, where 60 percent of graduates flunked the bar, produced a flood of entrants into the Bush Justice Department.

Regent was unabashed in its desire that its graduates enter government and become "change agents" who would help bring the law more in line with "eternal principles of justice," i.e., biblical morality. To that end, Bachmann was mentored by a crackpot Christian extremist professor named John Eidsmoe, a frequent contributor to John Birch Society publications who once opined that he could imagine Jesus carrying an M16 and who spent considerable space in one of his books musing about the feasibility of criminalizing blasphemy.

Don't go, die alone, unless you go to Regent, in which case ride the wave into power and prosperity

Thoras Hammer
Oct 15, 2009
It looks like I might have an offer to work as a public defender. Is there anyone here who can offer me advice about starting out in this position? I think there is a public defender or two lurking around here, but I forget.

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

I work until beer o'clock.

MoFauxHawk posted:

Seconded the thanks for the advice. I'm really glad there is consensus that the summer should be spent not reading E & E's.

I'm not going to Harvard, I'm signing promissory notes and poo poo, and I'm not too scared of being torn apart by thread.

I'm not worried, my loans will be forgiven in case of permanent and total disability.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Thoras Hammer posted:

It looks like I might have an offer to work as a public defender. Is there anyone here who can offer me advice about starting out in this position? I think there is a public defender or two lurking around here, but I forget.

I was a PD for a year. nm has worked as a PD for a while.

Take the job. It's a job. And a hella fun one at that.

Be super nice to everybody. That means not just your coworkers and clients (duh) but also all the DAs and court staff. Even when they are loving your clients over. It will pay off and also make your job more bearable. The DA's and court staff are in essence your coworkers as well.

Don't be afraid to ask for help around the office. Don't be afraid to stop court and say "I'm sorry but I'm gonna need some help on this one." Get used to making a record. Of everything. A big part of your job is creating appellate issues. Judges love to do poo poo off the record. It's your job to put it on the record afterwards.

Know your facts. Know the law. File lots and lots of motions. Make lots of oral motions.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Jesus, Matt, tell us how you really feel.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thoras Hammer posted:

Working legal aid owns. Tons of time in court, fun & interesting characters, never slow or boring. You develop good case & information management skills really fast or spend a lot of your time getting publicly shamed

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

It's a small firm or solo specializing in mentally ill clients and mental health work.

I've got an interview tomorrow for a $500/week crim defence gig. It's a loving third of what the Bay St. crew is making, and their firms paid all of their bar costs, too.

Brutal. Hopefully you like it enough to avoid thinking too much about your hourly wage

hypocrite lecteur fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 22, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

srsly posted:

The job itself is fun. The loving politics and layoffs suck.

If you get an offer take it, but assume you won't last because PD jobs are volatile as poo poo. I'm a bit bitter right now and getting laid off in 4 weeks.

Thoras Hammer
Oct 15, 2009

srsly posted:

Be super nice to everybody. That means not just your coworkers and clients (duh) but also all the DAs and court staff. Even when they are loving your clients over. It will pay off and also make your job more bearable. The DA's and court staff are in essence your coworkers as well.

Don't be afraid to ask for help around the office. Don't be afraid to stop court and say "I'm sorry but I'm gonna need some help on this one." Get used to making a record. Of everything. A big part of your job is creating appellate issues. Judges love to do poo poo off the record. It's your job to put it on the record afterwards.

Know your facts. Know the law. File lots and lots of motions. Make lots of oral motions.

Thanks! I'm still in shock that I may have any kind of offer of a legal job and can use all the advice I can get.

Sorry nm :(

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Thoras Hammer posted:

Thanks! I'm still in shock that I may have any kind of offer of a legal job and can use all the advice I can get.

Sorry nm :(

What state?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've had three rounds of interviews with a biglaw firm for a staff attorney position, I'm the only person they are considering for the position, and I am waiting to get the offer from the HR department so I can find out the start date and salary and whatnot. I know that my soon-to-be supervising partner sent an email to the HR people to get the process started but it's been a week and I've heard nothing.

This wait is killing me. It is also driving my wife nuts. (especially because this job is in a city two hours away and we have to figure out our moving plans)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Thoras Hammer posted:

srsly pretty much nailed it.

Don't condescend to the court staff or your clients. All that JD means is that you're more in debt than they are and that you have greater responsibilities.

Your clients are not 'those people.' They are you - just without all the breaks you've gotten in your life.
If you find yourself thinking of your clients, 'God, I hate these people...' please quit, for their sake and for yours.

For many of your clients, their lives have totally gone to poo poo and they're scared about what the arbitrary, unknowable machine is going to do to them. Keep them informed and answer their questions. At first, you won't know the answers. Don't bullshit them, tell you don't know but you'll find out. Then find out and tell them.
Your other clients will know the score, will know what a decent plea bargain is, and will share the local scuttlebutt and best meth recipes with you while you fill out the plea paperwork.

PD offices have the greatest institutional knowledge of crim law in a particular jurisdiction. Make use of that knowledge. Ask lots of questions, ask other attorneys to take a look at a case to see if you missed anything (you did, no matter how long you've been doing it), ask 'why?' a lot.
Watch other attorneys in court - not just trials, but arraignments and pleas and probation revocation hearings and preliminary hearings.
Ask other attorneys if you can second-seat them in their trials. You'll probably get to do some voir dire and some easier witnesses. Even if you just sit there and help keep the client relaxed and engaged, you will learn so much more than just watching from the gallery.

Spend some time drinking with your co-workers, but don't become an alcoholic.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

joat mon posted:

srsly pretty much nailed it.

Don't condescend to the court staff or your clients. All that JD means is that you're more in debt than they are and that you have greater responsibilities.
Very important. Don't piss off the court staff -- they will mostly determine whether judges like you.

quote:

Your clients are not 'those people.' They are you - just without all the breaks you've gotten in your life.
If you find yourself thinking of your clients, 'God, I hate these people...' please quit, for their sake and for yours.
Well, most of your clients aren't.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you're sayin you don't occasionally shake your head and think "man what the gently caress was going through his head honestly" you're a liaaaar

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

hypocrite lecteur posted:

If you're sayin you don't occasionally shake your head and think "man what the gently caress was going through his head honestly" you're a liaaaar

Sometimes I'll shake my head and ask my client the same thing to his face, in pretty much the same words.

No, what I was trying to convey is the need for a mindset that allows you to relate to clients as people, rather than relating to them as 'other'

Maybe I can dig myself deeper by contrasting it by describing a prevalent DA mindset. To them, defendants and victims are 'other' - poor people, dark people, i.e., not 'my' people. This kind of DA will have no empathy for defendants or victims because he or she can never see themselves in the other's shoes. The other might as well be from another planet. And because that DA is a better class of people and know it and cannot conceive of it being otherwise, they condescend to everyone not of their class.

Saying "Man, what the gently caress was going through your head, honestly" with a 'you are other' mindset may start a fight - saying it to a client you already know and already knows you have a 'you are people' mindset will break the ice and you can get down to the business of helping them out.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

joat mon posted:

Maybe I can dig myself deeper by contrasting it by describing a prevalent DA mindset. To them, defendants and victims are 'other' - poor people, dark people, i.e., not 'my' people. This kind of DA will have no empathy for defendants or victims because he or she can never see themselves in the other's shoes. The other might as well be from another planet. And because that DA is a better class of people and know it and cannot conceive of it being otherwise, they condescend to everyone not of their class.
So basically don't be grumblefish.

Thoras Hammer
Oct 15, 2009

nm posted:

What state?

Wisconsin, rural Wisconsin. I've really liked working with clients who are in trouble with the law in the past, I will definitely try to be as nice as I can to clients and court officials. I also really do not have an ego at all, and I hope that comes across too.

Thoras Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 23, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Thoras Hammer posted:

Wisconsin, rural Wisconsin. I've really liked working with clients who are in trouble with the law in the past, I will definitely try to be as nice as I can to clients and court officials. I also really do not have an ego at all, and I hope that comes across too.
I don't know if that makes you more or less likely to get defunded as us.
Also, a trial attorney should have an ego. Develop one.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

Crim defense? I forgot what your summer firm does.
Yup! Never thought I'd end up here but here I am! I also considered getting my MPP or using my law degree to get into the Policy Leader program with the feds. Needless to say, that's not happening anymore.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Residency is after MDs get their degrees, too.

I'm so ignorant. :( It makes a lot more sense now that I think about my friends who are residents.

And Smirnoff, good luck! Do small firms in the Toronto area really pay that poorly for articles?

BEARSLOOKOUT
Jan 10, 2007

Starting law school in the fall in Ontario. Any Canadian law students have any advice?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

And Smirnoff, good luck! Do small firms in the Toronto area really pay that poorly for articles?

Yep! One advertisement even plainly stated that it pays so poorly you need to have a very supportive partner.

quote:

Starting law school in the fall in Ontario. Any Canadian law students have any advice?

You gots to be more specific than that.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Holy poo poo, I got median, 50th percentile. This isn't a joke (edit: I mean like the threads I was in on the other forums.) I was so sick and had had horrible sleeps leading up to the tests because of a sinus infection and medications for it and my alcoholism was pretty bad; I guess the adrenaline rush I got was enough and I'm so happy I did this well. I really thought I wouldn't be this visibly happy even if I did this well. I'm gonna have champagne for starters and then I'm gonna drink the rest of my absinthe with friends and let my hallucination tell me how best to help the world with this rank, although absinthe has never made me hallucinate before. I'm so happy. With my beautiful blue eyes and blond hair I could get into Covington, my goal firm, even I accidentally stare at the hiring partner's titties. I only have to consider Skadden if they let me split. Now I get to focus on improving my pickup lines and working on my dark ages fantasy novel and mixology and other ventures in order to make me likable enough to get a couple of South African chicks to rock out. I am so happy. Thanks for all your help, you guys, and congratulations to everybody else on their grades.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 23, 2011

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

nm posted:

Also, a trial attorney should have an ego. Develop one.

Later in my career, when people ask me "when did you know you'd made the right choice of legal fields," I'll say it's this moment. The moment when I read this post.

BEARSLOOKOUT
Jan 10, 2007

BEARSLOOKOUT fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 3, 2011

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

BEARSLOOKOUT posted:

Sorry, that did come off pretty ambiguous. It looks like I'm going to Windsor if I don't see any waitlist movement in my favor at other schools. I just meant in terms of studying, exam prep. Important things anyone knows now that they wish they knew when starting out.

As far as that goes, it's all the same as the advice given to the Americans in this thread (like in the OP).

Keep us posted w/r/t Windsor, I don't know anyone who went there.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Thoras Hammer posted:

Wear rubber-soled shoes to jail visits because they pee on the floor there.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Solomon Grundy posted:

Wear rubber-soled shoes to jail visits because they pee on the floor there.

Also, always sit closest to the door of the interview room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

intensive purposes
Jul 1, 2009

srsly posted:

I'm a PD and echo all this advice. The most important thing is to follow through on what you say you are going to do. Don't pretend to know the answer when you don't, but know that there are certain things your client really needs to hear. Some good things to say include "It's my job to get you the best possible outcome" and "I'm here to fight for you." If you mean it, it will help a lot, even if it sounds cheesy reading it here. It will also help your client trust you when you most likely end up telling them "If you decide to go to trial, you'll lose, and here's why."

Other pieces of advice:

-In a rural area, your office will probably be close to the DA's office. It may seem safer/cleaner/easier to email the DA about a case, but I find I get better deals for my clients if I just stop by the DA's office and ask if they're available to talk about X case. But do get the offer in writing afterwards, of course.

-Also in a rural area, you will run into clients outside the office. If there are other people around, be careful not to vocally acknowledge your client unless they talk to you first. It sounds odd considering the advice to be able to relate to clients, but you really do risk embarrassing them by revealing they are involved in a criminal case.

-This is true for any kind of lawyer, but I think it's especially important for PDs: answer your phone and return messages promptly, even if you don't have any new information for your client. As long as you are able to indicate that you remember their case and anything that has happened (or hasn't happened that you expected to happen) since the last time you spoke, you're good.