Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hedrigall posted:

Wow, you're behind. They did spell out Pottermore. That's where the whole announcement came from.

I really liked the Quidditch chapters. Try listening to them narrated by Stephen Fry in the audiobook, it makes them way more exciting.

Stephen Fry makes every thing better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
If the golden snitch wasn't worth 150 points, how could Harry dramatically and decisively win matches and accrue glory?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Man you guys have me so excited to go to the Harry Potter world now!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Jesus H. Christ posted:

Also, yeah, butterbeer is REALLY expensive. I did find a good recipe for it after the fact, which basically amounts to cream soda and butterscotch (Whipped Cream Vodka makes it even better)

Any chance you've got a link to that recipe lying around? My boss went with his girlfriend and he asked me if I would know of anyplace to buy the Butterbeer outside of the park or just make it and I asked a girl who works there and is totally obsessed with Harry Potter but even she didn't have a recipe. My fiance would also really love it if I surprised her with some Butterbeer, too.

Jesus H. Christ
Aug 3, 2004

$ $ $Everybody's got a price$ $ $
http://www.mugglenet.com/misc/rosmertas/cicisbutterbeer.shtml

Recent one, but the other ones are at least twice as complex and don't taste as authentic as this does.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

reflir posted:

If the golden snitch wasn't worth 150 points, how could Harry dramatically and decisively win matches and accrue glory?

Don't Griffindor end up winning the cup in the fifth and sixth seasons without Harry?

Not that that's any better; she obviously couldn't be bothered to write any more matches so just removed Harry from them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Plucky Brit posted:

Don't Griffindor end up winning the cup in the fifth and sixth seasons without Harry?

Not that that's any better; she obviously couldn't be bothered to write any more matches so just removed Harry from them.

Fifth and sixth book he was busy being tortured by Umbridge and Snape. It also gave some glory to Ron

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
It also allowed the Mirror of Erised to become a fulfilled prophecy for Ron, though we know that's not always the case.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Could this big announcement be that they are finally putting the books out on e-reader format? I just recently got a Kindle and was disappointed when I found that the HP series were not available.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Could this big announcement be that they are finally putting the books out on e-reader format? I just recently got a Kindle and was disappointed when I found that the HP series were not available.

Based on the hints given so far (like people saying they had been given a tour of the site, and from what they saw of it it's incredible) I'd say probably not. More likely some sort of Harry Potter social networking site, or an official online encyclopedia.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Based on the hints given so far (like people saying they had been given a tour of the site, and from what they saw of it it's incredible) I'd say probably not. More likely some sort of Harry Potter social networking site, or an official online encyclopedia.

Well, if this is not it (and your post pretty much points to that) then will they ever put the series out as an ebook?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Well, if this is not it (and your post pretty much points to that) then will they ever put the series out as an ebook?

When JK Rowling wants to buy an island.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Rowling is against ebooks for some reason (fears of piracy apparently) I did a little google and found this, which is hopeful, but far from definate.

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/rowling-opens-door-digital-harry-potter-books.html

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

From a business standpoint it's probably the only way to get people to re-buy the books.

I'd be curious to see the drop off in sales. I can't imagine they're selling much these days as everyone who will read them has pretty much read them.

I wonder if Harry Potter will still be as huge a force as it is now in 10 years or so - if without the media hype and hysteria that it'll draw people in as deeply as it has when it was at the zenith of its popularity.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Paragon8 posted:

From a business standpoint it's probably the only way to get people to re-buy the books.

I'd be curious to see the drop off in sales. I can't imagine they're selling much these days as everyone who will read them has pretty much read them.

I wonder if Harry Potter will still be as huge a force as it is now in 10 years or so - if without the media hype and hysteria that it'll draw people in as deeply as it has when it was at the zenith of its popularity.

There are always children coming into reading age. And the books are well written for YA, very entertaining and fun. They won't sell millions every year, but I don't see any reason why they shouldn't sell well over decades.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
It's loving 15 minutes until JK Rowling announces whatever Pottermore is. I hope it isn't lovely :D

Kinda funny that it's a great time for Australia (9pm) and the UK (like mid morning) but most of the US is asleep for the big announcement. gently caress you America, for once you don't get the live announcement on your schedule!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
EDIT: Looking at the pictures it seems like it is an interesting marketing experiment that gives you achievements for participating in reading the books

It's like they took social networking/facebook stuff and applied it to reading, then added in the
"Harry Potter encyclopedia" that she has been working on.

Could be interesting.

EDIT2:
Here is the picture I am talking about. It breaks tables and I don't know how to thumbnail so here is a link:
http://i.imgur.com/mr1zI.jpg

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 23, 2011

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
It's an online reading experience ahaha what the hell is this
Holy poo poo it's a MMO/social thing

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
laaaame.

No there was no MMO aspect.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Just sounds like a wiki to me, with ebooks now being available as well. Which is what you guys wanted right?

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Sorry I heard "reading experience" and thought 'oh that's every single loving mmo' and jumped to conclusions.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
What the hell is that lame poo poo.

"info I've been hoarding" oh bullshit JK, like I need to know Hagrid's father's middle name or which death eaters were gay gently caress off.

I wanted something cool.

edit: What I mean to say is I wanted that Encyclopedia she's been teasing us with for years-I guess instead she's just going to drop tidbits here and there on this site to drag it out for as long as possible.

spixxor fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 23, 2011

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

spixxor posted:

What the hell is that lame poo poo.

"info I've been hoarding" oh bullshit JK, like I need to know Hagrid's father's middle name or which death eaters were gay gently caress off.

I wanted something cool.

edit: What I mean to say is I wanted that Encyclopedia she's been teasing us with for years-I guess instead she's just going to drop tidbits here and there on this site to drag it out for as long as possible.

I want to know which Death Eaters were gay :ohdear:

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

spixxor posted:

This seems like the encyclopedia but they will release sections of the encyclopedia over time in book order, with some interactive bits like a sorting hat and wand selection. The press says they will release the content for book 2 next year, so I assume they will do that for every book every year or so.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://assets.pottermore.com/emcp/downloads/pottermore_gategryffindor_230611.jpg
http://assets.pottermore.com/emcp/downloads/pottermore_hogwartsexpress_230611.jpg
http://assets.pottermore.com/emcp/downloads/pottermore_chessboardchamber_230611.jpg
http://assets.pottermore.com/emcp/downloads/pottermore_xmashogwarts_230611.jpg

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

I'm trying really hard to see an upside to this but the amazing efforts to contard a loving series of books and the pointless staggered release of information are like poo poo covered railroad spikes gouging out my eyes

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Telegraph posted:

Pottermore.com, while not perfect, represents a significant landmark for digital publishing. J.K. Rowling has not just hauled out her manuscript and plonked it onto a website with a bit of frilly window-dressing from a digital agency. Instead, she has laboured for a year in close collaboration with creative developers TH_NK to curate an experience that really takes advantages of the unique properties of the web.

Not only has she written 18,000 additional words which help build on characters, places and objects for the site, but she has also helped develop a great series of interactive web experiences and gaming elements.

Basically you read the book and have the site open at the same time. You provide status updates about what chapter you're up to, and it unlocks more content (mini games, encyclopedia type stuff and so on).

I will probably use it the next time I do a readthrough of the series, just to see what all the new stuff is like. In fact it might prompt me to start a new readthrough when it launches in October!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

reflir posted:

I'm trying really hard to see an upside to this but the amazing efforts to contard a loving series of books and the pointless staggered release of information are like poo poo covered railroad spikes gouging out my eyes

What the hell does contard mean in this context?

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

What the hell does contard mean in this context?

[unlocked achievement: quoted a post]

50 house points!

Hedrigall posted:

Basically you read the book and have the site open at the same time. You provide status updates about what chapter you're up to, and it unlocks more content (mini games, encyclopedia type stuff and so on).

I will probably use it the next time I do a readthrough of the series, just to see what all the new stuff is like. In fact it might prompt me to start a new readthrough when it launches in October!

How does it check you reading through the books instead of just going from memory?

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Ok so maybe it might be kinda neat...but I would still much rather have a new, physical book. I mean poo poo, I spend too much time on the internet already, at least let me read my books off of it.

I will be somewhat placated if we can work through at our own pace and not one book a year, though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

spixxor posted:

Ok so maybe it might be kinda neat...but I would still much rather have a new, physical book. I mean poo poo, I spend too much time on the internet already, at least let me read my books off of it.

I will be somewhat placated if we can work through at our own pace and not one book a year, though.

Yeah, was really hoping for an awesome big hardcover Harry Potter encyclopedia. Not... this garbage.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Just aesthetically it looks like one of those 90s websites where they wanted it to look like a movie and have everything respond and interact and crap. Like the website for Waterworld or something.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

reflir posted:

[unlocked achievement: quoted a post]

50 house points!

How does it check you reading through the books instead of just going from memory?

Probably because most of us can't remember what page number poo poo happened on and actually need the physical book to look it up.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Well I can finally read this series in October. That's a good thing for me I guess. I can see how the rest of you are disappointed with that crap website.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Sorry for the disappointment for others but I am pumped about the Ebooks. The downfall is since this is a non-retail site, then they will probably charge big for the books.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Sorry for the disappointment for others but I am pumped about the Ebooks. The downfall is since this is a non-retail site, then they will probably charge big for the books.

If the books are more than 10 a piece JK can eat it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
All I am getting out of this is that she is encouraging writing, which on the one hand is nice, but on the other hand...Harry Potter Fanfiction :gonk:

Scissors
Mar 22, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Probably because most of us can't remember what page number poo poo happened on and actually need the physical book to look it up.

:rimshot:

I can't understand how its going to stop me from just completely BSing through it. Because I've totally read the entire series from start to finish in one day before.

Either that, or someone rips all the unlocked content and rehosts it. Because gently caress their stupid little gimmick.

I am excited about the ebooks though. Fixed this, however:

KidDynamite posted:

If the books are more than 5 a piece JK can eat it.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?
I wonder how much the audiobooks will be, considering Order of the Phoenix is €80 on itunes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Scissors posted:

Fixed this, however:

That's an honest price. Do you really expect that?

• Locked thread