Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Invis posted:

I'm just telling you how our system works. I didn't design it. I'm not saying I agree with it either.

Look all I'm saying is you're arguing a hell of a lot for someone who doesn't agree with the policies of your workplace. Also I'm not sure if you realize repeating "I'm just trying to offer you free information, I'm not even selling anything!" over and over again makes you sound like a sleaze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null Set
Nov 5, 2007

the dog represents disdain

man thats gross posted:

Look all I'm saying is you're arguing a hell of a lot for someone who doesn't agree with the policies of your workplace. Also I'm not sure if you realize repeating "I'm just trying to offer you free information, I'm not even selling anything!" over and over again makes you sound like a sleaze.

Yeah, if someone calls me saying "it's just a free seminar!!", I'm instantly going to think (justifiably) that it's an seminar where I'm going to get the hard sell on something I don't really want, or isn't worth buying.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I just finished my first week on the phones. (Was off on Monday.) To reiterate, I am doing tech support for one of the largest computer manufacturers in the country. I'm on the workstation queue, which covers the workstation models for business and any kind of desktop/laptop for the government.

Tuesday went pretty well. The job was bigger than I was, but it didn't seem daunting.

Wednesday, on the other hand, sucked really hard. I felt so ineffectual. I was getting a lot of calls that seemed above my head. Everything took far too long than I would like it to be. To make matters worse, I've been getting a cold ever since Sunday, and it was really bothering me then.

I even had to call in sick on Thursday. I got into bed after work on Wednesday, and pretty much never got out of it until this morning.

Today seemed to go better. That's surprising, because I even had my first escalation. But it wasn't my fault, I didn't even own the case.

After Wednesday, I had serious doubts if I could do this. After today, I'm feeling a little better about it.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

JackRabbitStorm posted:

We used to, up until about 7 months ago. Now, if asked, we need to give full name, even middle name if they ask for it, the address of where we work, and what days and times we work.

Seriously, gently caress that. Where I work we don't even have to give out our last name if we don't want to or feel comfortable, although I always do because it's just bitchy secretaries trying to pretend they have power. Being forced to give out your work schedule is not okay, that's just asking for trouble.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Revol posted:

After Wednesday, I had serious doubts if I could do this. After today, I'm feeling a little better about it.

That's pretty much exactly how I felt. It gets so much easier with time.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Revol posted:

You will get the hang of it.

For the first 3 months of my job, I felt like I needed to quit, or I would get fired. I was horrible, always nervous, and didn't think I could handle it and having anxiety issues.

I'm getting close to my 4 year mark, and its all just a dry, boring, infuriating routine at this point. Want to scream at me, call me a vapid cock sucking oval office, and tell me how I am basically the devil? Yawn. I have heard it all before. Those calls dont get to me anymore, at all. I just mute myself, and browse SA on my phone while throwing a "Mmhmm" or "Okay" in there while they get it out of their system.

The customers that get to me mentally are the middle aged people that are quiet, soft spoken, very respectable and you can tell from the sound of their voice, they are broken inside. They want to know any last ditch effort they have to save their house, and the majority of them are people that are now unemployed that used to make 45k+ a year and now with Unemployment make maybe 20k if that. Those calls get to me every time.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah, I used to have empathy for all the people whose premium increased and we took $400 from their account and etc.

Nowadays, I don't care that we added You Jr. to the policy because of the accident we covered when he was driving and your premium shot up $1100, and I don't care that you had 2 speeding tickets in school zones, so your premium increased $400 for 6 months. I don't care if your premium went up drastically because you ignored about 8 different methods of contact we had attempted for you to get you to spend 4 seconds signing a form.

The only people I feel bad for are the ones caught up in the wake of the rest of the poo poo heads. Little old ladies whose premium went up $200 because her credit score dropped like a rock when she fell on hard times, or rate revisions where some guy who does nothing but pays on time every 6 months and never files a claim gets a 27% hike because of poo poo heads in his area.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 4, 2011

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I don't think I've popped in here before, so I'll make my mark as another of many in the call center trade.

I work at a call center based in NE Ohio, for a parent company that owns several brands, one of which is electric fireplaces/heaters. Currently working here as a stop gap until I can find greener pastures, and something that will pay me for my degree.

To be honest, most of you seem to have a better experience than I. I had one week of training, which didn't include phone time, and was put on the phones the same day they decided to convert the order/customer database software from one system to another. That was fun. I've managed to get myself promoted off the phones and into one of the 'support' departments, but I still have to take calls (just less of them).

One of my favorite calls, though rare, is the "electrician" or "I work on aircraft electronics" calling in because they were unable to repair whatever the issue was with their heater, only for me to tell them "Sorry, but our warranty policy clearly states that opening the unit to work on it voids the warranty. Would you like to purchase a replacement?" Suddenly its insulting that we don't have an exception to people who bought one of those 'build your own radio kit' for kids.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Want to scream at me, call me a vapid cock sucking oval office, and tell me how I am basically the devil? Yawn.

This hasn't happened to me yet, but you know what? I don't think that poo poo would ever bother me. In fact, I think I'd have trouble holding back laughter. I mean, back in grade school, a lot of times when I got picked on my reaction was to just laugh. (It was more the passive-aggressive bullying that would bother me.) poo poo rolls off my back.

I think what bothers me is when I feel I'm not smart enough for the job. It's when I genuinely want to help the customer fix their computer, and I can't, because it's about something I don't know as much about. (Like RAID. I fear the day I get my first RAID call. Which is going to happen any moment now, because they say my queue gets RAID calls all the time.)

YF19pilot posted:

To be honest, most of you seem to have a better experience than I. I had one week of training, which didn't include phone time, and was put on the phones the same day they decided to convert the order/customer database software from one system to another. That was fun.

For about over a week before I first got onto the floor, our systems were coming down so hard that dispatching was pretty much halted. And that really sucks, because so many of the calls I'll be getting is simply solved by sending out new parts. I'm so loving thankful I started on the phones last week and not two weeks ago. I would have lost my loving mind.

It's not all great, though, because now there's a backlog of dispatches. They're going through fine, but our service vendors have so many to do, that they're not getting done next day like they should. That's (part of) why I had my escalation on Friday.

Revol fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 5, 2011

gomababe
Oct 5, 2008
OK so now I'm really peed off. According to my line manager if I still haven't got my voice back by tomorrow then I'll need to take sick leave until it comes back to full strength because I'm only allowed to do two days of admin {which I did last week because my voice decided to go completely}. The thing is, I'm still perfectly capable of doing other work, I just can't be on the phones because for some stupid reason my voice has decided to up and go for almost a week now. I'm going to the doctor's tomorrow first thing to find out what's up, but I've got two weeks left in my backslide period {I haven't been off sick for three months now, I'm just having a lovely run of luck} and I cannot risk taking any time off work until that's over, or risk being fired.

I will reiterate, I am perfectly capable to go into work and do something other than be on the phones, and frankly I'd rather go into work and do something rather than sit at home and get bored. Any advice from anyone that's either been in a similar situation themselves, or knows of someone who has? I'm starting to get paranoid.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

gomababe posted:

OK so now I'm really peed off. According to my line manager if I still haven't got my voice back by tomorrow then I'll need to take sick leave until it comes back to full strength because I'm only allowed to do two days of admin {which I did last week because my voice decided to go completely}. The thing is, I'm still perfectly capable of doing other work, I just can't be on the phones because for some stupid reason my voice has decided to up and go for almost a week now. I'm going to the doctor's tomorrow first thing to find out what's up, but I've got two weeks left in my backslide period {I haven't been off sick for three months now, I'm just having a lovely run of luck} and I cannot risk taking any time off work until that's over, or risk being fired.

I will reiterate, I am perfectly capable to go into work and do something other than be on the phones, and frankly I'd rather go into work and do something rather than sit at home and get bored. Any advice from anyone that's either been in a similar situation themselves, or knows of someone who has? I'm starting to get paranoid.

Family Medical Leave Act(FMLA), if applicable where you are at. A coworker of mine is constantly losing her voice and would of been fired a long time ago. My companies Sick Policy is that you are only allowed to be sick 3 times in a rolling 12 month period. If you get a doctor to issue you FMLA you can be out up to 12 weeks, with no repurcussions.

Edit: You can only get FMLA if you have been employed there over 12 months.

http://www.employer-employee.com/fmla.html
http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/benefits-leave/fmla.htm

KeanuReevesGhost fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 5, 2011

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

gomababe posted:

Man that is kind of poo poo, but if your primary job is phones and you can't do it, I'm not sure how they company can really help you. If they don't have other work for you to do, you can't expect them to make stuff up out of kindness. You need to get with your Dr. find out whats up. If you have some condition that prevents you from doing your job, that might fall under some kind of short term disability?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

gomababe posted:

As others have said, get with your doctor make sure something serious isn't up.

If you're not already doing so, drink lots of water (and I mean water!). It also doesn't hurt to have a bag of cough drops handy. To be honest the one or two times I've lost my voice was due to illness, so yeah, doctor.

gomababe
Oct 5, 2008
Thanks for the advice guys. I was going to the doctor's this morning anyway since I'm a little worried at my voice being gone for so long despite resting it and drinking plenty of fluids. Even if the only thing s/he can do is give me a med cert for this week, at least it's a start {I'm having to go to the open clinic, can't get an appointment for anything less than three weeks away in this place}.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'm about to start working in a call center again next week. I didn't think I'd have much of a problem going back into telemarketing for a few months, but reading through this thread has reminded me how much I hated the job and why I was so happy when I quit for a while. During the interview the supervisor made it sound like it wasn't nearly as aggressive of a calling scheme as the last office I worked in, but thats probably a lie anyway. Heres to at least 3 months of switching back and forth between answering machines and death threats.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I didn't mention prior, but I actually work the CRT department at my call center. Right now I'm working on an :airquote:important project regarding the fireplaces my company sells. However, I still get pulled to take CSR calls from time to time, usually for our numismatic company or the new AC system we're selling. Its amazing the amount of stupidity I see out of both customers and reps all the time.

Today a customer called in regarding these dollar bills we sell with overlays of the 50 states.
:v:: I'm missing 10 states, I only have 40.
:): Sure, which 10 states are you missing?
:v:: Can't you tell me?
:): Sir, your order shows its been shipped in full. I don't know what states you're missing.
:v:: Would it help if I gave you my customer number?
:): Sir, I have your order in front of me. It says everything is shipped. I don't have a way of seeing what states you're missing. If you could check for me, I'd be glad to help.
:v:: Well how am I suppose to do that? Am I suppose to like, uh, look through them?
:): Yes, sir. See what states you have, and let me know what you don't have.
:v:: Well, uh, that's kinda tough. Um, that's gonna take a while and I don't want to be staying on the phone. Are you open tomorrow [Sat]?
:): Yes, but we're also open today for another three hours.
:v:: Huh, well I guess I'll try to call back if I can today.

On the case of rep stupidity though, I had a woman call regarding this new portable AC system we're selling. She started off just on the cuff of stark raving mad, but I let her rant for a bit, then chummied up to her a bit, and she hung up the phone as a nice old lady. The problem? Two sales reps who were totally clueless about the whole darn thing, despite our company being drat anal about sales scripts. First rep told the lady her county wasn't included in our sales coverage (it was, and was clearly marked in BIG BOLD RED LETTERS), second rep knew less about the AC system than the lady did from reading the newspaper advert.

And today, the Call Quality person put me on CSR calls before she left and didn't tell anyone, and my department was short staffed today. My supervisor had to go hunt down the back up person to get me off the phones.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I had someone call up yesterday all ":byodood: THE WEBSITE'S NOT TAKING MY CREDIT CARD, CAN I REGISTER WITH YOU!?". I was, of course, thrilled since I work on commision. I'm taking down the credit card number and they only gave me 10 or so digits. Now, it's possible I messed it up, so I ask them to repeat it. Turns out I had it right. I don't know what the gently caress, so I ask what company the card is from. The response?
:downs: : "JC Penny!"

I have never, ever sighed louder in my entire life than I did right there. Trying to pay with a department store charge card. Holy gently caress, the dumb.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I had someone call up yesterday all ":byodood: THE WEBSITE'S NOT TAKING MY CREDIT CARD, CAN I REGISTER WITH YOU!?". I was, of course, thrilled since I work on commision. I'm taking down the credit card number and they only gave me 10 or so digits. Now, it's possible I messed it up, so I ask them to repeat it. Turns out I had it right. I don't know what the gently caress, so I ask what company the card is from. The response?
:downs: : "JC Penny!"

I have never, ever sighed louder in my entire life than I did right there. Trying to pay with a department store charge card. Holy gently caress, the dumb.

some of them are mastercards/visas though. Sears/Bestbuy/Target/etc etc all have visa/mastercard versions of their credit cards.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
A few years ago I worked for a really big loan brokering company in the UK. Highlights include:

-Being trained for sales to recoup some of the training costs and being made to do sales for a week. My whole group was going customer care after, but they did this so we "knew the ins and outs of the company", yes of course, not so you could badges your CS folks to do sales overtime eh? Oh, and CS guys never saw the sales bonuses for doing overtime over there EVER, but did do their sales hours at the reduced rate of pay!

-Spending MOST of the week we were doing our customer care specific training being groomed for retention, only to have the customer care manager walk in on the Thursday and say in front of all of us to the trainers that no she wasn't expending the retention team, they didn't make any money for her targets, so we then had literally 1 day to be legit trained for the like four seperate other CS divisions.

-My actual FIRST solo call when I was on sales was trying to cold call for this woman. Her husband answers the phone, asks what it's about. I say thatI'm with Blahblah company regarding an inquiry she's made about personal finance {in the script to say, though our data was sourced even from people just checking out mortgage rates with their banks and stuff} he tells me she's not interested, and to please take her off the list. And I say, of course sir, if you just have her come to the phone and complete DPA I can fill our the form for her and have her removed. He took this to mean I was lying. And also that I would convince his wife to get a loan. Also she's not allowed, and if HE didn't want HIS wife doing something RAAAH RAAAH RAAAAH!!!! They had not covered in our training what to do about abusive customers. And mostly I was stunned, the man literally screamed profanities down the phone at me for ten minutes until a friend of mine who was a manager walked by and saw me making :wth: face. He listened in for two seconds, tried to interject and then just hung up the call and patted my head.

-When I was actually on Customer care I constantly had inbound calls from people saying they had no money in their accounts because we'd taken the fee, they couldn't feed their kids, one woman called up claiming to be some lady's social worker and saying that we had made her completely broke and taken advantage and that the council would be seeking legal action against us because her client was a vulnerable adult and we should know better. That made me feel like complete poo poo at the time.

-I also had a lot of protective boyfriends calling up saying we had to take their girlfriends off our books/give them their loans now/stop calling or I'll legit come up there and stab you all where are you located? I've seen pictures of your CEO online I'm going to come down there and loving kill him.

-Oh and when calling for this girl once her dad answered and said she was having a nervous breakdown because of our company and that she was actually scared to answer the phone. I said all she had to do was come to the phone and go through DPA and I would put her on the no callbacks list and within 48 hours she should stop receiving calls. He sort of made it sound like she was in a crazy hospital because of us but he'd have her do it when she got out.

-An old lady called US to basically scream. She refused to give any of her details, but because she was only being loud and rude but not using profanity I wasn't allowed to end the call. When I told her that if she didn't help me fulfill the Data Protection Act stuff I couldn't remover her from our system, she went on a massive tirade about how useless I and the government were. But always cheery, I persisted in my politeness and said I was very sorry I couldn't help her and I hoped she had a nice evening. She actually said "No you cannot wish me a nice evening!" And continued to shout at me about how she emptied bins and shovelled litter and used condoms off the street for a living and how would I like to be doing HER job! I said considering the weather that still sounded preferable as we were stuck inside with no view all day in a terribly cramped office getting shouted at by angry people for things that weren't my fault. I did actually eventually calm her down and manage to get her details, and even a payment out of her SHOCKING!!!! But she continued between questions to berate me for being foreign, probably stealing her details from America and defrauding her, having a cushy job, and not getting shat on by birds. When I finished the call I asked if there was anything else I could do for her, and she actually said after all of that in the cheeriest old lady tone ever that I could go gently caress myself! Well screw you lady! I got your MONEY! :P

-My supervisor believed that only screaming and profanity COMBINED not just rudeness and beligerance were enough reason to hang up. So although my QA scores were always very high for being as helpful as possible and doing what was commanded of us on the day, ie some days our supervisor was there and said basically send everything but people giving you money to retention, whereas when she was not there the retention supervisor said please do everything you can because we have a MASSIVE qeue and we can only make these people madder by waiting for almost an hour listening to a musac version of Coldplay's Yellow! But my call volumes were prtty low and my target was always a few off because I'm terrible at pressuring people. But I was very good at calming people down and getting them to pay, taking care of a load of people no other staff members could get to stop shouting.

-I am Canadian, and therefor foreign. I got hit on CONSTANTLY! During my sales week I shamelessly put on this incredibly husky phonesex voice to flirt my way through sales. I knew every time the QA guys had my calls because they were laughing their asses off and sometimes pointing. I NEVER got told off for it though. Oh also, got me a date offer from a really hot sounding chef in London though, too bad I'm happily married and everything, but he was nice.

-While not doing sexy voice, as my manager was standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME and the company's owner was walking clients around right by my desk, a man proceeded to hit on me mercilessly over the phone, with his wife right there. I got marked down by QA for this call because I couldn't get him on track, he held me up for thirty minutes because he wouldn't stop saying I was probably hot. It was weird, but to be fair the creepy ones were more pleasant than the angry ones.

-We had one guy, who because he wouldn't complete DPA we couldn't take off the system. And we didn't want to. We just all, everyone on the floor who got him, scheduled him for a callback every half hour or so, which resulted in someone every once in a while shaking their heads because they'd go to do the shpiel and all they would get screaming down the line was "You loving sheep shaggers! Stop loving calling me!" I was accused of putting on an accent because I was definitely a sheep shagger if I was calling from those bunch of cunts!

My hat is totally off to you guys who can stick it out. I could only take three months of it before I had to get out. I like to think if half my family and my dog hadn't died from the time I walked in the door to the time I left then I would have stayed. But I couldn't take it. It was an experience, and it gives you interesting stories, and the people I worked with were really cool, and on the bright side we totally got a PS3 from the money I made. And nowhere do you learn to chainsmoke like you do at a call center. I can literally inhale a superking in 3 minutes because of that job. Sure I coughed like a mofo, lived almost exclusively on cigarettes and energy drinks after week one, and learned more swear word combinations then any other time in my life, but I will always smile when I remember that for three short months every second guy I was talking to thought I was hot!...I just wish that there hadn't been as many of them actually touching themselves while filling out their apps...ewww.(Yes, four times, in one week! *shudder*)

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

Slightly Used Cake posted:

-We had one guy, who because he wouldn't complete DPA we couldn't take off the system. And we didn't want to. We just all, everyone on the floor who got him, scheduled him for a callback every half hour or so, which resulted in someone every once in a while shaking their heads because they'd go to do the shpiel and all they would get screaming down the line was "You loving sheep shaggers! Stop loving calling me!" I was accused of putting on an accent because I was definitely a sheep shagger if I was calling from those bunch of cunts!

Really? I wish employees wouldn't indulge in this passive-aggresive nonsense, it just spreads the poo poo around.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

ZeroDays posted:

Really? I wish employees wouldn't indulge in this passive-aggresive nonsense, it just spreads the poo poo around.

Maybe I should explain myself better, we WOULD set short callbacks for really abusive customers because we couldn't put anyone on our no call list without them completing DPA, but I also found out after I'd long quit that the data we used was typically recycled for at least six months. I can't blame the guy, if I had the same company calling me from 9-8:30 every night I'd be pissed too. We also had a text service that they LOVED to overuse. Some people would call us up purely because we kept texting them at least 5 times a day, every time it got a little slow they'd just spam text. Also, our no call list was bullshit anyway because IT never did anything with it. I guess the company felt they spent so much getting all those numbers they weren't about to risk NOT getting a sale. Persistence was key! And more then a few times I and other members of staff were spoken to about not being pushy enough because we chose to follow a 2 No and end the call strategy. I'm not defending it, I think it's a terrible practise. But there was all sorts of childish BS going on as most of the staff were 21 and under. I was 3rd oldest in my whole department at 23, and they were actively recruiting people who would agree to whatever contract terms they could get away with. When I went to read my contract, given to me in full swing of the shift I had it snatched off me while I was trying to read it with a "You don't have to worry about that!" But if you needed money it was a great place, and they paid pretty much the highest wage in town, and definitely the highest of all the call centers in a 15 mile radius.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Passive aggressive bullshit is a big part of why I quit at the last telemarketing office I was at. It started with just a few people thinking it was funny to put in the especially rude/angry people for callbacks in 30 min to an hour just to annoy them instead of putting them in as a no to offer or adding them as a do not call. Some of the reps seemed to think this was funny and soon it seemed like a pretty big chunk of the office was doing it. It just kept getting bigger and bigger and seemed like some people were pretty much putting ALL of their files that didn't buy back in the system as callbacks.
The idiots didn't seem to realize this was just hurting all of us more than the customers since we were all suddenly getting flooded with more and more angry people who had already declined the offer multiple times or had asked to be added to the do not call list. What really seemed to annoy me was that none of the supervisors or managers ever noticed or didn't care that this was happening. The overall sales in the office dropped dramatically, work got a lot more stressful, and people started to quit. In my last week the office management FINALLY started to take action on the idiots putting in all the callbacks.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

wilderthanmild posted:

Passive aggressive bullshit is a big part of why I quit at the last telemarketing office I was at. It started with just a few people thinking it was funny to put in the especially rude/angry people for callbacks in 30 min to an hour just to annoy them instead of putting them in as a no to offer or adding them as a do not call. Some of the reps seemed to think this was funny and soon it seemed like a pretty big chunk of the office was doing it. It just kept getting bigger and bigger and seemed like some people were pretty much putting ALL of their files that didn't buy back in the system as callbacks.
The idiots didn't seem to realize this was just hurting all of us more than the customers since we were all suddenly getting flooded with more and more angry people who had already declined the offer multiple times or had asked to be added to the do not call list. What really seemed to annoy me was that none of the supervisors or managers ever noticed or didn't care that this was happening. The overall sales in the office dropped dramatically, work got a lot more stressful, and people started to quit. In my last week the office management FINALLY started to take action on the idiots putting in all the callbacks.

I know of late at my place the guy in charge of the dialler is having a very in depth look into when people are setting callbacks or taking wrong party connect and what the call consisted of. He's caught several people now who are clearly just fudging their figures by recording stuff incorrectly and forced it to be dealt with. If anyone reading the thread is having issues getting your line manager and the normal chain of command to care about poo poo like this, try sneaking a word with the resource and planning side of the chain - if they give a crap they'll find a way to do something about anything that's costing them productivity/utilisation.

Benzoyl Peroxide
Jun 6, 2007

[C6H5C(O)]2O2
DNC is pretty serious at -----. If you were caught doing something like what was described above you'd be out the door in no time. And rightly so. If you're cold calling then even if a respondent is a gently caress you've got to be mature enough to understand - not just aggravate the situation. At best you will get a juvenile sense of revenge at annoying someone who has been rude to you. But you could get fired and/or give the company a bad name... so why bother.

Benzoyl Peroxide fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 21, 2011

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
So, today the CRT Night crew started our new schedule of 12:30-9:00 to fall in line with the afternoon CSRs. So, what do the CSR Sups do the moment they find out? Stick half of the Night crew on CSR calls for the entire night! What does this do? Puts a rediculous backlog and hold time for customers the CSRs are trying to transfer to us CRTs. Not to mention nothing got done. No emails, no refunds, no return shipping labels, nothing. I can't wait to get yelled at for not getting anything done.

Seriously, it went like this:

Dept Head: Hey, YF19pilot, they're putting you one the phones for half an hour.
CRT Sup (3 hours later): I asked them to pull you off. They said 30 more minutes so they can clear the queues. (The queues that are practically empty)
CRT Sup (2 hours later): The CSRs are taking their second breaks and need people to cover for them.
CRT Sup (another 2 hours later, and 10 minutes before the end of my sift): okay, they've taken you off the phones.

Honestly though, the Dept Head doesn't like the CRT Night crew and the Night Sup is a little bit of a pushover at times. I really wish the CSR Sups and Call Handling people wouldn't treat us like some kind of call overflow they can use at a whim and forget about.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
2 co-workers and I had an "Iron Man" challenge today, since we're having a contest to get aux time down at work (time off the phones).

The goal: 0 minutes after call work (the button you hit when a customer hangs up when you have extra poo poo to do for them/want to chitchat and gently caress off)

I finished at 107 calls and 4 minutes, my buddy was at 87 and 1 minute, and the guy across from us at 140 calls and 0 minutes, the loving cyborg.

Company-wide average is 60-70 minutes per shift, oy.

Yeah, loving blew, but it was actually kinda fun just knocking calls out like batting practice, and my stats look amazing for one day at least. If I dedicated myself to doing this every day, I could probably make a couple extra grand a year in built in performer bonuses.

Console Parade
Aug 20, 2010
Someone erroneously contacted our company for support. My email response was automatically signed with something like:

Respectfully,
Console Parade

We were emailed back and made aware that there is no Console Parade at their office.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

Loving Life Partner posted:

If I dedicated myself to doing this every day, I could probably make a couple extra grand a year in built in performer bonuses.

Is it sad that I can immediately think of at least three ways your employer could either stop you from doing that or let you do it but not reap the rewards? Call centres do not like people deviating from the norm. That kind of initiative is frowned upon!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I think I did something really stupid today.

This guy called up, really wanting to get his phone replaced under warranty. Accidental Damage isn't covered under warranty.

I tried telling him that his best bet would be to just to go to a retail store, they often do really good deals. But no, he wanted it done under warranty so I went to a senior adviser promising to make his case but nothing more.

T2 told me there was nothing to be done for the Cs, and if he made a fuss we could go CR about it all.

I told the Customer this and promised that I would do my best to see what I could do (to be honest, he was super nice and everything. I'm sick of people yelling at me so I wanted to help someone who politely asked me to help him out.) CR basically told me that T2 had gone way out of bounds by not getting pictures of the iPhone to assess the damage.

I told the Customer at this point it was good news for him (bad, I know) that they were pinging the two of us around between departments. He told his iPhone wasn't working the best and I agreed it was a good idea to put them into the case notes. Also suggested he sound really frustrated (even worse).

I realized after T2 took the call I may have done a really, really dumb thing. I mean, calls are very rarely recorded, but if it was I would have some really hard questions to justify if anyone ever tries to view it. I barely know why I helped this guy out to the extent I did.

Ah well, all I can say is never again and just hope my rear end doesn't get caught. I reviewed the case notes and it looks like the guy turned into an utter oval office after people stopped being helpful. CR closed the case after being insulted when they offered to call the retail store directly.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I feel somewhat guilty, but the sheer number of people who refuse to read basic instructions for their admission, financial aid, registration, etc is horrifying. Wouldn't you think these things are important?

Then again, I have a champion who told me they hate reading and college and just want to get it over with so they can make money. Ahaha. AHAHAH - HAH. *wheeze*

It's just killing me. Even if I have reasons to be vaguely sympathetic I'm sick of 'Hiiiiiii, I locked myself out. Please unlock me'. Even worse when they lie to save face and take up extra time. I get it. It's not an unusual human behavior to fudge a bit so you don't look totally bad. But c'mon. Who among us has never, ever forgotten a PIN? Just say you forgot and answer my drat questions. All too often it's just stupid things.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah, I've had my sympathy for people's mistakes eroded so quickly.

Yesterday I had someone yelling at me about bank fees because WE overdrew him. I told him what happened; we didn't receive a legally required signed form and had to change his rate for the higher. That happened, ten days before the higher withdrawal, we e-mailed him because he's paperless, then ten days later we withdrew it.

:argh: You have no right to change my policy!

:geno: We do sir, if we don't receive your signature to reject this coverage, we are legally obligated to provide it to you per state law.

:argh: Well you can't take higher amounts from my bank account, I didn't authorize that!

:geno: Actually, on the authorization form you signed, it gives us permission to take increased amounts as long as we notify you ten days in advance.

:argh: I never saw anything about it!!!

:geno: We sent you a memo and a payment notification in your e-mail. You agreed to the terms and conditions of being notified electronically when you elected to receive the discount for it.

:argh: GET ME YOUR MANAGER!!

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Related to the above:
"I'm making an official complaint, it's your fault I'm overdrawn"
"What's happened?"
"You took the money out of my account when it wasn't there"
"Yes, that's why we notified you 22 days in advance"
"Yeah but you took it out in the afternoon"
"Yes, to give you plenty of time to have the money there"
"Yeah but I took all the money out of my account in the morning to stop you taking it"
"So, just to confirm, you're upset because we took it out on the date we said we would, but not fast enough to stop you taking all the money out of your account?"

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Haha, I love getting the "you people hosed me up" complaint because the withdraw happens a couple days after it's set for.

"ITS YOUR FAULT I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO MANAGE MY FINANCES!"

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
I got a 47% raise today, so that was cool.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Loving Life Partner posted:

Haha, I love getting the "you people hosed me up" complaint because the withdraw happens a couple days after it's set for.

"ITS YOUR FAULT I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO MANAGE MY FINANCES!"

God, I get this all the time when I'm taking CSR calls. I've had people place orders, and actually get angry because we shipped the product out in three days (I don't get paid for another week!) I even had a customer who wanted me to place her order on hold because her credit card company actually called her and told her she wasn't allowed to make any more purchases this month. She had three orders billing monthly, $98, $78, and $18, and was placing an order for an item that will bill $44 a month.

As for excuses, I get a lot of people who will call up, obviously realizing the mistake they made in purchasing our product, except they will try to weasel their way out by claiming they never placed the order (Fraud is pretty easy to spot on our systems, so I'm not talking about legit complaints). Half the time people just forgot they ordered and are satisfied with being able to return the product, but then I get gems like this utter tool who called me up the other day:

:argh: "I just got this order today! I didn't order this! Nobody who has access to my credit card placed this order! How was this order placed?"
:) "This order was placed by phone. Someone called and placed this order in your name, with your address as the Bill To and Ship To, and your credit card."
:argh: "No-one who has access to my card placed this order!"
:) "Well, sir, if you don't want the order you can simply return it and we'll refund you for the order."
:argh: "I threw it away! Now give me my money back!"

The customer threw away $100 dollars worth of merchandise, which ironically, was actual money. The customer literally threw away money. He wasn't very pleased when I told him he wouldn't be getting a refund. He did admit to keeping part of the merchandise without any intention to return it, and that alone is enough for me to not give him the refund.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Tennis Ball posted:

I got a 47% raise today, so that was cool.

What did you have to do to get that kind of raise?

I sure hope it's cool.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Lord Windy posted:

What did you have to do to get that kind of raise?

I sure hope it's cool.

I said, "Hey I need a raise," and they gave me the "we can only do raises once a year."

So I went and got another job, put in my two weeks, they asked me how they could get me to stay.

Other job was awful though, I was nervous I was going to have to actually work it. It was data entry for a Bank of America contractor. 18 hour shifts of just labeling pictures. Soooo bad.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tennis Ball posted:

I said, "Hey I need a raise," and they gave me the "we can only do raises once a year."

So I went and got another job, put in my two weeks, they asked me how they could get me to stay.

Other job was awful though, I was nervous I was going to have to actually work it. It was data entry for a Bank of America contractor. 18 hour shifts of just labeling pictures. Soooo bad.

Hahahaha, this is outstanding. Why on earth would any company want to do 18 hour shifts? It's well known that your employee productivity would be absolute garbage after even a 10 hour shift, especially if it's repetition work.

One point in my career I effectively doubled my salary over 2 years, which was pretty sweet. Sadly as it scales up, it would take a lot more money to double it nowadays.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Bovine Delight posted:

Hahahaha, this is outstanding. Why on earth would any company want to do 18 hour shifts? It's well known that your employee productivity would be absolute garbage after even a 10 hour shift, especially if it's repetition work.

One point in my career I effectively doubled my salary over 2 years, which was pretty sweet. Sadly as it scales up, it would take a lot more money to double it nowadays.

I don't know. I did not understand it. The shift was from 5:30 AM to 8:30 PM. And the lady that was training me trained me by going, "Well, when I train people they usually just get more confused. So here is the program, just dive in!"

And while I was labeling pictures, I had to label them for special things and what not, but she did not tell me what these special things were and there was no guide book/cheat sheet type thing and I had no previous experience in this industry. I made a mistake and she sort of had a mini freak out, but didn't even really tell me what I did wrong. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
I worked in a call centre for an electronics retailer; if I was in the US it would be Radio Shack.

Moron: My computer keeps crashing
Me: Ok, do you know which version of Windows you have installed?
Moron: Yes
Me: Which one do you have?
Moron: That’s none of your business

Unfortunately I can’t remember how the rest of that conversation went.