Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Atheistdeals.com posted:

9. The New World - I'm going to guess that The New World has little dialogue, amazing images, and lots and lots of wildlife shots. Anything else would be a radical departure.

You're not wrong. It's a very beautiful film that rubbed a few of my friends the wrong way. Boring, they called it. I thought it was fantastic and I hope you do as well.

City Lights is a funny and sweet movie with its fair share of melancholy. The tramp does what he can to help a blind girl in need and he fumbles through his life as he does it. Chaplin is timeless but at the same time a capsule from a lost era. There is a magic that comes alive on the screen during his movies that I doubt could be aptly replicated today without it seeming phony or ridiculous. I haven't seen a lot of his films but I always enjoy them when I do. Modern Times is still my favourite but that's not a slight against this.

List o' Shame:

1)Cars - Only Pixar movie I have yet to see.

2) Easy Rider - Rented it thrice and never found the time to watch. Not for lack of interest, just didn't happen. I also just got the America Lost and Found box set so I don't have to worry about renting it again.

3) The Lives of Others - Pretty recent but everyone and their dog seems to love this movie and I just haven't put forth the effort.

4) Black Narcissus – I have never seen a Powell/Pressburger joint.

5) The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - I've only seen Faces by Cassavetes and I wasn't impressed so I've been putting off a second chance. I imagine I'd like Faces more now, I think I was 18 when I saw it.

6)127 Hours – Only BP nominee from this past year I haven’t seen.

7)Double Indemnity – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9)The Time of the Wolf - Friend is a big Haneke fan and has lent this to me.

10) In the Bedroom - I've owned it for years and just keep forgetting I have it.

Shame be gone: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Ratedargh, you get Easy Rider.

It was hard to watch The Magnificent Seven without comparing it to Seven Samurai. And while it holds up on it's own, in comparison it lacks, particularly in it's removal of the Kikuchiyo character, who on reflection, I think may be one of my all time favorite film characters. The action scenes were good, and Eli Wallach is always fun to watch, but I had some trouble really getting into it. It was solid, but not great.

I also watched Man Bites Dog. It was definitely outside of the box, and I didn't realize it intended to be humorous. There were some points where it crossed the line too much, but it's one of those films where I feel bad for enjoying.

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

#65 The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Promised a friend I'd watch this eventually. This is the first one in the series, right?

#66 The Conversation - This is supposed to be right after Apocalypse Now and The Godfather for Coppola's best so let's have at it.

#68 Metropolis - Probably about time I watch this.

#69 Man On Wire - Been meaning to watch this for a good while.

#70 Peeping Tom - This looks cool.

#71 The 39 Steps - I have a good amount of Hitchcock to start making up for.

#72 I Am Cuba - I've taken up a recent interest in the Cuban revolution and this seems like an excellent primary source to learn from. Also sounds cool in general.

#73 Django - I need to watch a spaghetti western that's not directed by Leone.

#74 A Hard Day's Night - I do like The Beatles, and this is actually supposed to be really good.

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, American History X, Barton Fink, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, The Maltese Falcon, Annie Hall, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Casablanca, M, Seven Samurai, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, The Seventh Seal, Mulholland Drive, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Silence Of The Lambs, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Wild Strawberries, High Fidelity, Goldfinger, The Bicycle Thief, The Thing, Bonnie And Clyde, There Will Be Blood, 8½, Spirited Away, The Big Sleep, A Fish Called Wanda, The Man Who Wasn't There, 12 Angry Men, The Elephant Man, Once Upon A Time In The West, Moon, The 400 Blows, Rosemary's Baby, City Of God, Dog Day Afternoon, Breathless, Saving Private Ryan, Network, Persona, Mean Streets, Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, The Rules Of The Game, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Killing, Punch-Drunk Love, Rebecca, La Strada, Bowling For Columbine, The Virgin Spring, Wild At Heart, Mad Max, Enter The Dragon, Aliens, Man Bites Dog, The Magnificent Seven

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Straight Story is, in a strange way, a very Lynchian kind of film, because this is the Lynch that exists behind all the weirdness people usually associate with him. It's a very warm, kind film. There's not much conflict, essentially it boils down to a series of interactions between Alvin Straight and people he meets on his journey, but it's gripping all the same, and enormously affecting. Lynch also gets a chance to paint pictures of the midwest, capturing its weird beauty in a way I've never really seen elsewhere. It's a sort of surprisingly marvelous film. It was a joy simply to co-exist with it.

9/10

SHAAAAAAME

1) Howards End - I'm going to watch every Criterion Blu-Ray, dammit, no matter how boring they look.

2) Badlands - I like what I've seen of Malick so far.

3) All About Eve - Well, Netflix doesn't have the Blu-Ray, but it's next on TSPDT and I've heard good things.

4) Secret Honor - I love Robert Altman and I love Richard Nixon (as a subject), and I've heard endless good things about this.

5) Lawrence Of Arabia - I was going to wait for the Blu-Ray but everyone's been loving it in this thread, so what the hell.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Bringing Up Baby - My film professor told me to watch this once and I didn't for some reason. Apparently it has Cary Grant and a baby tiger?

9) Dial M For Murder - Well, heck, let's make this the Hitchcock spot.

10) Winter Light - Part two of a not-really Bergman trilogy.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10 (total: 33)

TrixRabbi, Peeping Tom is cool.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Magic Hate Ball, guess what you're watching, it's Lawrence Of Arabia.

Zero Kelvin was a pretty solid film with fantastic performances. Three people stuck together in an arctic shack with conflicting personalities as the winter gets harsher and tensions boil. It's a tad long but full of enough fun moments to break the tension that it's easy to watch. Not sure what to make of that ending though.

Updated list:

The Last Command Another silent I need to get around to.

Lagaan One of the big ones from contemporary Bollywood. Why is it 4 drat hours though?

Riget Time to add another miniseries I haven't seen. All I know is it's made by Lars von Trier.

Possession Not sure why I have this on my need to see list actually. Maybe someone here recommended it? Seems like it could be brilliant or terrible.

The Wind Will Carry Us The last Kiarostami movie I saw, Ten, really soured me on the guy, but considering I've liked his other features there's no reason not to give this a shot.

Un coeur en hiver Some French film about a violinist. I dunno, it's on the TSPDT list.

Être et avoir Documentary about teaching little kids or something. Apparently it's really good.

The Year of Living Dangerously Peter Weir, Mel Gibson early 80s. That's the extent of my knowledge.

Yama no oto Naruse, I need to see more of his vast body of work.

Traffic It's clear I'm not going to watch this without being pushed to do so despite having the Criterion DVD for years.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
Un coeur en hiver is a pretty rad title, so watch that.

The Battle of Algiers is an incredibly beautiful film, and unexpectedly relevant in today's world. It was an interesting experience watching the story from the other side, and getting a feel for how the invaded feel about their invaders. I had no clue what I was getting into with this film, but am entirely glad I watched it.

Revamped the list, mostly because there are several film-makers I want to focus on getting to know better, and because I feel like I've been watching things I should watch, rather than things I want to watch, which kinda kills the fun of watching movies.

New List:
Magnolia The P.T.A. spot for now. There Will Be Blood is one of the reasons I went to film school, and I fell in love with Punch Drunk Love from the first scene.

The Thin Red Line Just going to work Terrence Malick backwards.

The Magnificent Ambersons Welles.

The Player Altman Altman Altman.

Barry Lyndon I've always found Kubrick hard to connect to. Beautiful images, with flat characters. I'll admit, I have seen a bit of this one, but couldn't finish it. I'll give a fair chance this go around.

Requiem For a Dream The only two Aronofsky I haven't seen that are probably of any note are this one and Pi. Is anything before that worth a look?

In the Mood For Love TSPDT's 21st Century list. This movie looks incredible, and I love forbidden romance kinds of stories.

Ace in the Hole Noir spot. Pulled from IMDb's top fifty noir list. I love the language of noir, there's aboslutely nothing else like it.

Nights of Cabiria Found an Italian Neorealism list on Flickchart. If anyone knows of a better, or more comprehensive one, let me know.

Schindler's List Use of color. Should be seeing this for way more reasons than that, but I've discovered a knack, as well as passion, for color-grading in school. I'd like to study more films that have an imaginitive/evocative/engaging use of color, or that just have a unique grade to them. I may open this one up to suggestions in the future.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Seven Samurai, Breathless, Apocalypse Now, The 400 Blows, The African Queen, A Fistful of Dollars, The Seventh Seal, The Rules of the Game, Andrei Rublev, The Conformist, Ugetsu, The Wild Bunch, Jules et Jim, Modern Times, L'Atalante, La Strada, Persona, Rio Bravo, Wild Strawberries, Ordet, The Apartment, North by Northwest, Greed, La Dolce Vita, Pather Panchali, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Leopard, The Mirror, Sunrise, Fanny and Alexander, The Gold Rush, Nashville, Madame de.., Ikiru, Bringing Up Baby, Au Hasard Balthazar, Amarcord, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, To Be or Not To Be, Notorious, The Battle of Algiers

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

tokillthesunflower posted:

The Player Altman Altman Altman.

You have a great list and I hope you love The Player as much as I did.

Easy Rider is one of the best films I've ever seen...as far as a first viewing can attest to. It packs an incredible punch. Throughout the first half to three quarters I was so wrapped up in the mystique and freedom of the road that I either didn't catch or more likely willfully ignored the foreboding.

Then poo poo hits the fan and George is murdered, they trip balls and get blown away on the road. What a gut punch of a finish. Jesus. It almost made me sick to think of the mindless hatred that put them in their graves. The little flash Wyatt gets when he sees his bike in flames on the side of the road briefly shows what's in store but I didn't want to believe it.

Really well crafted, great characters, wonderful soundtrack. Just wonderful.

List o' Shame:

1)Cars - Only Pixar movie I have yet to see.

2) The Last Picture Show - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

3) The Lives of Others - Pretty recent but everyone and their dog seems to love this movie and I just haven't put forth the effort.

4) Black Narcissus – I have never seen a Powell/Pressburger joint.

5) The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - I've only seen Faces by Cassavetes and I wasn't impressed so I've been putting off a second chance. I imagine I'd like Faces more now, I think I was 18 when I saw it.

6)127 Hours – Only BP nominee from this past year I haven’t seen.

7)Double Indemnity – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9)The Time of the Wolf - Friend is a big Haneke fan and has lent this to me.

10) In the Bedroom - I've owned it for years and just keep forgetting I have it.

Shame be gone: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Edit; Beaten

Ratedargh, go check out:

The Lives of Others. I really enjoyed it, despite being a bit cheesed that it took the Oscar away from Pan's. When I actually sat down and watched it though, I couldn't help but admit that it was pretty drat good.

Just watched Predator. It was a giant bucket of fun. The ending when it's just a 1v1 face off is pretty much as good as it gets. And I still can't believe how movies from the 80's have not only managed to not feel dated but actually trump the lovely CGI of today. I said the same thing about Aliens and it holds true for Predator. Real poo poo just looks better.

Anyway, Arnold was a beast and I enjoyed everything about this movie. It may have been a bit over the top and popcorny at times but it was still a blast.

8/10

My New List:

1. Blade Runner

I have a feeling this is gonna be the first once people insist that I watch. I've just never really gotten around to it. I think I tried watching it when I was super young and it didn't grab me at all.

2. Dr. Strangelove

I know it's kind of a big deal that I haven't seen this but I can sort of justify it as just never really finding Kubrick all that accessible. Also, this is another one of those movies that I watched in my childhood and didn't really take to.

3. Apocalypse Now

Another important one that I've missed. I love FFC and I'm sure I'll dig this once I give it a shot. Along with the challenge to watch this however, I'll want a recommendation as to which version to watch.

4. Raging Bull

I've only recently began enjoying Scorsese's work. I'm still sorta lukewarm on De Niro. I loved him in Taxi Driver and Deer Hunter but I've been severely underwhelmed by pretty much everything else I've seen him in.

5. Being There

I've only seen Sellers in straight up comedies like The Party and The Pink Panther flicks, I definitely want more Sellers.

6. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

I just saw Super 8 and it made really want to go back and watch more of the old school Spielberg stuff. I hear this doesn't really hold a candle to ET and Jaws, but I want to give it a shot anyhow.

7. *NEW* The Thin Red Line *NEW*

Haven't seen any Malick yet, and the trailer for the Tree of Life looked really god drat good. I'd like to be exposed to something of his before I check out Tree of Life.

8. The Bicycle Thief

Yeah yeah... I'm sorry world, I haven't seen it yet. I know, I'm a shitbag. Again, I've heard nothing but good things and I know it's a huge classic.

9. Crimes and Misdemeanors

I love comedy and I haven't seen nearly enough Woody Allen flicks. Not exactly sure how or why I've missed the boat on his stuff, but yeah. Definitely need more Woody.

10. Vertigo

I must have started and stopped this film so many times. I've never even had much an issue with it, it's just one of those films where I start it, get interrupted while watching it, and never get back to it. I just have to start it up, lock my door, and watch the drat thing already.

De-Shamed

Yojimbo 7.5/10, Aliens 6.5/10, Brazil 8/10, Cool Hand Luke 9/10, 28 Days Later 6/10, Predator 8/10

Chili fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 28, 2012

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Also :argh: at Ratedargh, I wanted an assignment for my flight tomorrow. Someone hurry up and pick something for me.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

tokillthesunflower posted:

Requiem For a Dream The only two Aronofsky I haven't seen that are probably of any note are this one and Pi. Is anything before that worth a look?

Pi and Requiem are his first two films. The only others in his filmography are The Fountain, The Wrestler and Black Swan. Not sure if he has any short films that predate Pi or not, but I don't think so. Either way both are really good.

Will watch Peeping Tom tomorrow night, so can't help you Chili, but feel free to pick one and watch it anyway. (If you watch Blade Runner, watch the final cut).

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Chili posted:

1. Blade Runner

I have a feeling this is gonna be the first once people insist that I watch. I've just never really gotten around to it. I think I tried watching it when I was super young and it didn't grab me at all.

Well it was the sixth. Just watch the Final Cut and remember it's not an action movie.

After Persona I wasn't expecting to see another excellent movie for awhile, but A Woman Under the Influence was even better. The way it flows feels very real, natural and chaotic kinda like life is. I enjoyed very much that aspect of the piece, even the "boring" cinematography gives it's own special feel. It's a very emotional draining experience and it's a hard movie to watch, but it's fascinating and gripping from start to end. The performances by the two leads are amazing some of the best I ever seen.(Peter Sellers in Strangelove is still my favourite.)

My Shame List:

The Conversation Missing this one from Francis "I did great movies in the 70's" Coppola

Stray Dog Another Kurosawa Noir.

Cape Fear I did not care much for the Scorsese remake. Hoping this will be better.

Rebecca Hitchcock's only Best Picture win.

Through a Glass Darkly The first of the Chamber Trilogy.(Or whatever you call it)

La Règle du Jeu Haven't had a French movie on the list for quite some time.

Bonnie and Clyde Been avoiding watching this for some reason.

Shane One of the Classic Westerns.

Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan KHAA-no not doing that.

Grizzly Man Not sure about this one.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?

TrixRabbi posted:

Pi and Requiem are his first two films. The only others in his filmography are The Fountain, The Wrestler and Black Swan. Not sure if he has any short films that predate Pi or not, but I don't think so. Either way both are really good.

Word. IMDb has a few other titles listed before Pi, but upon further investigation they're all shorts. I'll stick to his features for my list.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Yojimbo was great. I've seen three Kurosawa films on this thread, and I've enjoyed them all. Looking forward to the next one. I knew that A Fistful of Dollars was kind of a copy of it, but that was blatant theft. (The Dollars trilogy is still some of my favorite films though). This was Mifune's best performance that I've seen yet. And the music and scenery was fabulous.

My List:
M - Heard alot about it, but never saw it.

No Country For Old Men - As someone on this thread mentioned, I also get this confused with There will be Blood. That will be added to my list later

Lawrence of Arabia - I've seen this has been recommended alot. Haven't seen it yet.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Loved Newman and Redford in the Sting, so I am looking forward to seeing this.

Duck Soup - Another Marx Brothers film that I'd like to see

The Princess and the Frog - I usually make sure that I watch a DVD when I buy it, but I bought this movie over a year ago and I still haven't seen it.

Sanjuro - Kurosawa's next movie on my list.

My Fair Lady - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

Dracula - Never saw any of the classic Hollywood horror movies, but now that I've gotten interested in Bela Lugosi (through the Ed Wood pictures), this seems like the natural first pick.

The Public Enemy - Never saw any James Cagney film.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo

Electronico6, Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan is the best Star Trek movie there is. See it.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
Dmitri Russkie, see No Country. I may be biased since I just finished watching Barton Fink and also I've never disliked a Coen Bros movie, but the hype surrounding No Country is definitely based in the fact that it's an amazing film. While you're at it, see There Will be Blood. You won't be disappointed in either one.

Barton Fink - I was expecting nothing but pure genius going into this movie based on past Coen films I'd seen and just what I'd heard about it. It definitely delivered on all fronts. Apart from simply entertaining me, I believe it captured that special something that all films try to capture. I can't explain what that thing is, but I find myself thinking back on the many themes that this movie tried to address; and reconsidering my own preconceived notions.

New List:
1. The Usual Suspects - I guess this is one of those underground hits that managed to pass me by.
2. Garden State - I always thought this would be a quick and easy movie that I might enjoy.
3. Any of the Star Trek films - Are there any in particular that I should see?
4. Die Hard - I dunno...it slipped through somehow.
5. The Fly(original and remake) -Never really got around to either of them. The fact I am such a nerd for this genre of film only deepens my shame.
6. Mad Max 2 - It may not even be fair to say I've seen the 1st one, but I've heard the 2nd one is where it's at.
7. Requiem for a Dream - One of the few heroin movies I haven't seen.
8. Rear Window - I heard it compared to Disturbia once which kinda turned me off.
9. Let Me In - I loved the Swedish original and I heard good things about this American remake.
10. Eyes Wide Shut - It's next on my list of Kubrick movies.

No longer ashamed:
Taxi Driver (4.5,5), Casablanca (2.5/5), The Godfather (4/5), The Good the Bad and the Ugly(4.5/5), 12 Angry Men(4.5/5), The Godfather, part II (3.5/5), Memento(4.5/5), Raging Bull (4/5), The Crazies (4/5), M(2.5/5), Barton Fink(4.5/5)

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

You're going to need to watch Requiem For A Dream. That film packs a punch on every level and I'm surprised you've seen other heroin movies but missed what I view as the most stirring one of all.

Films I have yet to see off the top of my head that I should but haven't:

1. Casablanca - No real reason. I know the famous scene so I just never bothered with it. I just acquired it the other day so it's available for me to view; just haven't gotten around to it. I also have a bit of prejudice toward older (pre-1955 or so) films.

2. Amelie - I rented it once, got about 20 minutes into it a few years ago and fell asleep. I didn't bother finishing it since it didn't interest me in that time. My girl loves it, though, and tells me that I need to give it another chance so I'm open to it.

3. Sunset Boulevard - No real reason I haven't seen it other than it's older so I'm not as excited to see it. The premise sounds interesting, though.

4. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly - Same as Amelie. I got about 20 minutes into it, fell asleep and never tried finishing it. I didn't mind the few westerns I've seen; I just haven't seen many. Never seen Unforgiven or Once Upon a Time in the West either.

5. The Shining - I'm a big Opie and Anthony fan and they constantly reference it, which lends to my curiosity. I've seen the last 15 minutes of it and it seems interesting. I just haven't dedicated the time to sit and watch it.

6. Blade Runner - I don't know much about the film at all but my last roommate loved it to the point that he bought some ridiculously expensive 4-disc blu-ray set and told me I need to see it. I'm not a sci-fi fan, though I do enjoy the odd one here and there. Liked Total Recall, hated Brazil.

7. Once Upon a Time in America - The running time is the only thing that's kept me from watching it, basically. I have it available to view and just haven't made the time. Of the De Niro NY films, I never hear about this one at all so I just keep putting it on the back burner.

8. The Green Mile - Another one I've seen part of but way back when it initially came out on video. I had to go somewhere in the middle of watching it and never resumed. Seemed enjoyable enough.

9. The Town - All I hear is how great it is and that Ben Affleck knows Boston crime flicks and this is one I have to see. I'm not overly opposed to seeing it but the ones who recommend this one to me have very iffy taste and all Afflecks are annoying to me. Gone Baby Gone is another Affleck creation constantly recommended to me that I resist as well but I absolutely loved Good Will Hunting.

10. Stranger Than Paradise - Really intrigued by the premise but Jarmusch is pretty hit or miss for me.

I tend to like depressing, insular, descending-into-madness type films more than any other. I hate romantic films and most sci-fi.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

BIZORT, you're getting The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and if you don't like it, people will judge you.

The Celebration was really good, not much to say that hasn't been said already really.

1. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp - Dig The Archers and from what I've read, this one is pretty well liked by everyone.

2. Three Colors: Red - I've seen the first and didn't hate it so that's something.

3. Rome: Open City - Only seen two Rossellini films

4. L'avventura - Foreign movies are gonna be all over this list.

5. Greed - gently caress you to whoever makes me watch this in advance, 4 loving hours.

6. Playtime - Liked the other two Tati films I've seen.

7. Yiyi - I know nothing about this, too lazy to look it up right now.

8. L'Atalente - Also know nothing about it

9. Faust - No idea how this one escaped me for this long.

10. NEW: Ugetsu - I can't wait to finish off these Foreign films.

SEEN: Z-7/10, The Celebration-8/10

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Wilhelm Scream, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp is great fun.

Wow, I've been away from this thread for a while, and I've seen a few from my list. I just finished Idioterne (fitting, following a review of The Celebration), and I'm not quite sure what to take away from it. It had some great moments, but the reason for the group's experiment was almost completely unexplained. Much more could have been done if the focus had been on the newcomer to the group, as her final scene was devastating. I lost count of how many boom mics appeared in frame, and I saw at least two crew members running out of frame. 3.5/5

Also saw L'avventura. Maybe I was missing something here, but it just did not interest me at all, and I had trouble keeping focused on it. 2/5

I also watched Au Revoir Les Enfants, which deserves all the praise it gets. 4.5/5

And finally, Amarcord. I was surprised by the amount of crude humor in this, and some scenes were very funny. Overall though, they don't form a very interesting whole, and I was left wanting a stronger through line. 3/5

Shadows
More Cassavetes..
Andrei Rublev
On the most lists. I know nothing about this other than that it is Tarkovsky and long.
Safe
Other Todd Haynes/Julianne Moore movie. This one sounds much better.
71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance
Haneke noooooo. Recommended to me earlier in this thread.
Winchester '73
I need some more Westerns.
Local Hero
Picked this up at a flea market a few days ago. Don't know much about it other than that I probably won't ever watch it unless someone here makes me.
Ugetsu
Next on TSPDT. I know nothing about it.
Artificial Intelligence: AI
Next on TSPDT's 21st Century list.
Princess Mononoke
Almost done the top 250.
Tender Mercies
Been wanting to watch this one for a while.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

TenSpades, watch Artificial Intelligence.

Peeping Tom was something incredibly unique. The first person camera effects were expertly done, and this is one of the most suspenseful films I've seen in a long time. Mark is an incredibly interesting character, and what sets him aside from other film serial killers is the at times sympathetic, yet still unchangingly psychotic way he's portrayed. He actually evokes Peter Lorre's character from M in a way, not to mention his way of talking comes off as fairly Lorre-ish. Having just watched Man Bites Dog, Peeping Tom is just as shocking without being exploitative, particularly that final scene.

#31 Labyrinth - Is this a movie that had to be a part of your childhood to really love (such as The Goonies) or will I still enjoy it regardless? Either way, David Bowie.

#65 The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Promised a friend I'd watch this eventually. This is the first one in the series, right?

#66 The Conversation - This is supposed to be right after Apocalypse Now and The Godfather for Coppola's best so let's have at it.

#68 Metropolis - Probably about time I watch this.

#69 Man On Wire - Been meaning to watch this for a good while.

#71 The 39 Steps - I have a good amount of Hitchcock to start making up for.

#72 I Am Cuba - I've taken up a recent interest in the Cuban revolution and this seems like an excellent primary source to learn from. Also sounds cool in general.

#73 Django - I need to watch a spaghetti western that's not directed by Leone.

#74 A Hard Day's Night - I do like The Beatles, and this is actually supposed to be really good.

#75 Double Indemnity - Trying to get through some essentials.

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, American History X, Barton Fink, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, The Maltese Falcon, Annie Hall, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Casablanca, M, Seven Samurai, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, The Seventh Seal, Mulholland Drive, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Silence Of The Lambs, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Wild Strawberries, High Fidelity, Goldfinger, The Bicycle Thief, The Thing, Bonnie And Clyde, There Will Be Blood, 8½, Spirited Away, The Big Sleep, A Fish Called Wanda, The Man Who Wasn't There, 12 Angry Men, The Elephant Man, Once Upon A Time In The West, Moon, The 400 Blows, Rosemary's Baby, City Of God, Dog Day Afternoon, Breathless, Saving Private Ryan, Network, Persona, Mean Streets, Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, The Rules Of The Game, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Killing, Punch-Drunk Love, Rebecca, La Strada, Bowling For Columbine, The Virgin Spring, Wild At Heart, Mad Max, Enter The Dragon, Aliens, Man Bites Dog, The Magnificent Seven, Peeping Tom

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

This has been on your list for 6+ months.

The Social Network was an okay movie. I knew the basic outline of the story prior so it wasn't that revelatory. I found the way the twins were portrayed to be insulting. They'll probably sue the filmmakers.

There's one movie trope that I've seen too much and I call it the "party shot." This occurs anywhere there's a giant party and the camera pans overhead and then loud music drowns out all conversation and people are all drunk and having a great old time! I'm tired of seeing that in films. It was cool in 1995 but not now.

As far as "historical films" about technology I think my favorite is still "Pirates of Silicon Valley" as it dealt more with the technology rather than college parties.

also watched: The Night of the Hunter - I wasn't expecting this type of film at all really. It had a few memorable scenes but the way the story played out didn't excite me or do much for me. From everything I watched on the supplements it seems most preferred watching it as a youngster and being scared of the evil preacher. The preacher did vaguely remind me of Kane from the Poltergeist series.

http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/l/o/lotearms.htm Preachers favorite hymn.

IMDb list:

#165 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

#168 Finding Nemo - Saw some of this on TV and it seemed decent. 4/2/11

#169 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Is this similar to Snatch? 4/23/11

#183 Gandhi - I believe this was the first movie I added to the Netflix queue when I got that service. Then I added another 300+ movies and this vanished somewhere into ether. 5/18/11

#185 Judgment at Nuremberg - Vaguely remember hearing of it but never got around to it. 5/25/11

#192 The Battle of Algiers - One of the few Movies of the Month I haven't seen. Put this off way too long. 6/8/11

#196 The Hustler - I never did like Paul Newman's pasta sauces (the Newman's Own brand). Nasty frozen pizzas too. I don't care if they've given $300million USD to charity in the last 30 years! 6/16/11

#197 The Road - I saw Nights of Cabiria a while ago and liked it so maybe I'll like this as well. That lead actress had a very unique presence/aura about her. 6/11/11

NEW #199 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

NEW #200 Dial M for Murder - Another tennis player murder mystery? Hitchcock must've had something against tennis. 6/22/11

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 22, 2011

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

BIZORT posted:

I tend to like depressing, insular, descending-into-madness type films more than any other.

And yet you hated Brazil?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Zogo, I recommend The Battle of Algiers. Also, no one calls La Strada "The Road," it took me several minutes to figure out what film that was.

Un coeur en hiver is one of those films that's just on the cusp of greatness but doesn't quite get there. I'm not quite sure why, the script seems solid, so is the acting and direction, things move along at a good pace and it's often engrossing. Everything is there for a great character study, and it works, but I felt something was off throughout the whole film, impeding me from fully connecting. This all sounds overly negative for a film I wouldn't hesitate to recommend and will almost certainly re-watch at some point, but there you go.

Updated list:

Lagaan One of the big ones from contemporary Bollywood. Why is it 4 drat hours though?

Riget Time to add another miniseries I haven't seen. All I know is it's made by Lars von Trier.

Possession Not sure why I have this on my need to see list actually. Maybe someone here recommended it? Seems like it could be brilliant or terrible.

The Wind Will Carry Us The last Kiarostami movie I saw, Ten, really soured me on the guy, but considering I've liked his other features there's no reason not to give this a shot.

Être et avoir Documentary about teaching little kids or something. Apparently it's really good.

The Year of Living Dangerously Peter Weir, Mel Gibson early 80s. That's the extent of my knowledge.

Yama no oto Naruse, I need to see more of his vast body of work.

Traffic It's clear I'm not going to watch this without being pushed to do so despite having the Criterion DVD for years.

Punishment Park It seems to be a pretty divisive film and I'm curious about it.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Peaceful Anarchy, Yama no oto

Metropolis was amazing. Considering when it came out, it may be the most ambitious film I've ever seen. Brigette Helm was amazing in her dual role. I don't know what to say that hasn't been said already, but it's amazing that Lang pulled it off. So many iconic images.

1) Carrie- still working through the horror list
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) The Iron Giant- I need to watch more animation and I hear this is heart wrenching
4) Battleship Potemkin- I've only seen silent comedies and it's time to expand my horizons. This seems like essential viewing
5) Rififi- I've put this off long enough
6) Lady Vengeance- hear this is better than Old Boy
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Pale Flower- this looks interesting
9) Sherlock Jr.- let's keep the Keaton going
10) Winchester '73- let's watch some more Anthony Mann

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques, The Furies, It's A Wonderful Life, Network, Metropolis

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

6) Lady Vengeance- hear this is better than Old Boy

It's certainly on par with it.

Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan was the movie that I needed after all those art ones. It was a fun movie and it did live up to it's "Best of Star Trek", even though I'm still to watch the rest. It had a lot more going than The Motion Picture, had a more fun villain, Kirk didn't seem as bored and I found it more thematically consistent. Despite the movie being parodied for ages, all the famous moments still had some impact, from the chilling "Buried alive! Buried alive!", from the silly "KHAAAAAAAAN!" to the sad Spock final speech. It was good and plenty of fun.

My Shame List:

The Conversation Missing this one from Francis "I did great movies in the 70's" Coppola

Stray Dog Another Kurosawa Noir.

Cape Fear I did not care much for the Scorsese remake. Hoping this will be better.

Through a Glass Darkly The first of the Chamber Trilogy.(Or whatever you call it)

Fantasia I remember skipping this movie as a child cause it was only musics and no story. The shame...

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Electronico6 posted:

It's not nearly as good as Apocalypse Now or The Godfather movies but it's still a great little film.

The New World was long and quite slow, but I was never bored because every scene was filled with beautiful images. I don't know if I can say that Malick is one of my favorite directors now, but I sure do appreciate him a hell of a lot. None of his movies really blew me away, but I wouldn't hesitate to watch any of them again sometime.

1. Persona - No clue what it's about.

2. Tokyo Story - I think I might have a problem appreciating muted emotions in movies. I might have a hard time watching this.

3. Some Like it Hot - Wilder is pretty great.

4. Mean Streets - Love Scorsese, but I've heard people say that this is too similar to Taxi Driver but not nearly as good. That's okay, even if it isn't half as good as Taxi Driver it'll still be a good film.

5. Rio Bravo - John Wayne seemed like he was a real rear end in a top hat. Maybe I'll enjoy some of his films anyway.

6. The Graduate - I can't really get excited to watch this for some reason.

7. The Rules of the Game - Ranked as one of the very best movies of all time, I think it's a about class warfare or something. Ooooh, a war movie!

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Don't really know how I managed to avoid this for so long, not even ever seeing it on TV.

9. The New World Nights of Cabiria - Haven't seen a ton of Italian films.

10. Brief Encounter - Haven't seen that many movies from the 40's. A David Lean film that isn't a sprawling adventure sounds interesting.

Watched(Score/100): The Seventh Seal 95, Moon 84, Barton Fink 95, The Thin Blue Line 86, Cool Hand Luke 87, Citizen Kane 96, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 91, Rear Window 94, North by Northwest 86, Goodfellas 97, Casablanca 95, City Lights 81, Seven Samurai 92, Bicycle Thieves 88, Do the Right Thing 95, The Battle of Algiers 86, On the Waterfront 78, Wild Strawberries 94, The Trial 91, Adaptation 89, Unforgiven 91, Annie Hall 86, The 400 Blows 88, Diabolique 80, Mulholland Dr. 98, Dirty Harry 60, The 39 Steps 82, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 92, 8 1/2 85, Boogie Nights 88, A Streetcar Named Desire 77, Raiders of the Lost Ark 92, The General 87, Pickpocket 74, Pulp Fiction 96, Amadeus 88, Lawrence of Arabia 92, Eraserhead 84, The Lady Vanishes 84, The Wild Bunch 83, A Clockwork Orange 79, Platoon 76, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 85, Ikiru 91, Jules and Jim 92, The Asphalt Jungle 81, M 86, The Thin Red Line 86, Dial M for Murder 85, The Sting 81, Once Upon a Time in the West 86, The Exterminating Angel 85, A Woman Under the Influence 96, Singin' in the Rain 85, Scenes from a Marriage 93, Badlands 85, City of God 91, The Gold Rush 74, The Maltese Falcon 86, The Conformist 87, The Shawshank Redemption 83, High and Low 90, It's a Wonderful Life 75, Days of Heaven 87, Le Samourai 71, The Night of the Hunter 91, Metropolis 93, The New World 86

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Atheistdeals.com, watch Persona. You might still have no clue what it's about even after watching it, but at least you'll see one of the most interesting things ever filmed.

It Happened One Night: Entertaining over all. Some funny gags (loved the hitchhiking bit) and a couple funny lines. Good ending, too. But it just didn't really wow me. I like Clark Gable for the most part, but I find Jimmy Stewart (who starred in the only other two Capra movies I've seen) so much more endearing, genuine and interesting. 76/100

New list:

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

The Great Dictator - I began watching this on TCM a long time ago and had to stop for some reason. I liked what I saw, and I really enjoy Chaplin.

The Apartment - I've seen two Wilder films and I love them both. So I'm sure I'll like this too.

On the Waterfront - I like Marlon Brando, so I have no hesitation to see this.

Grave of the Fireflies - Another highly praised anime I have not seen.

Cool Hand Luke - Looks good. Anxious to check it out.

Witness for the Prosecution - I know nothing about this one.

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - One of my favorite films ever is Nosferatu, yet it remains the only Murnau film I've seen.

The Grapes of Wrath - Sounds great. It's just never been on my radar.

The Kid - More Chaplin I need to see.

Watched (scores out of 100):
12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70) It Happened One Night(77)

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
caiman, Cool Hand Luke's main character is the quintessential Christ figure, and every film buff worth his/her salt knows his/her Christ figures!

I just finished Splendor in the Grass. I liked it all right, but it didn't knock my socks off. Kazan himself is the best part of the film. The cinematography is excellent. Everything was illuminated just right; the composition was perfect, and the actors knew all the right facial features to suggest the right emotions. Some of the acting was very good. Warren Beatty did a great job for a then-rookie. Audrey Christie was nothing if not realistic in her pushy, domineering, garrulous, gossipy role. Pat Hingle's job as a pushy blowhard rear end in a top hat really surprised me; it's not something I was ready to see given that I'm used to his passive, half-in-the-background roles later in his life.

I thought Natalie Wood was the weak link. Visually, Kazan knew exactly what to do with her. The way he illuminated her face brought out the emotions well. I just didn't like her delivery of the lines, and I thought she mishandled her breakdown scenes. I hated the bathtub scene in particular.

I got out of the film that it was a cautionary tale not about young love, but about the deleterious effects of caring about gossip and letting others make your decisions for you. That formed the part of the film I liked most. Part of being a teenager is having differences with your parents. This film portrayed both sides of that. That was particularly gratifying, because I had a ton of differences of opinion with my parents, and to this day I know I was right about a decent chunk of that poo poo.

I also knocked out Strictly Ballroom and I loved it. It's great seeing Luhrmann at his least, well, Luhrmann. I loved this movie's cinematography and now I really want a giant Coca-Cola sign on my rooftop. I loved the way the movie knowingly played with clichés. Scott is Prince Charming or a trickster figure or a Christ figure or any of the many, many arrogant men who star in such tales; Fran is Cinderella or The Ugly Duckling. I've said more about my opinion on this one elsewhere. Aptly enough, the girl who recommended me this is pretty much a real-life Fran: awkward and withdrawn, but she cleans up nice.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; The Constant Gardener; Walkabout; 3:10 to Yuma; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; Aliens; Rain Man; Xich Lo; Akira; Jules et Jim; Johnny Guitar; Rocky Horror Picture Show; The Thin Blue Line; The Thin Red Line; Blackmail; Slacker; The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover; Terminator 2; Blazing Saddles; The Thin Man; Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!; Sideways; Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia; L'Avventura; Gone With the Wind; Blue; White; Red; Primer; Schindler's List; Network; Beverly Hills Cop; Sweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song; A Night at the Opera; Celine and Julie Go Boating; Night of the Living Dead; Chinatown; Carlito's Way; Requiem for a Dream; The Holy Mountain; Strange Days; Kramer vs. Kramer; When Harry Met Sally…; Irréversible; Tampopo; The White Ribbon; Caro Diario; The Natural; Rosemary's Baby; Mishima; Strictly Ballroom; Splendor in the Grass

An American Werewolf in London: All I know about this movie is it stars David Naughton, who is hilariously arrogant in old episodes of The $100,000 Pyramid. Also, werewolves. And London.
Das Boot: I've seen just enough of this to know it's a lot better than it sounds. Jürgen Prochnow is so, so awesome.
The Dead: I'm interested in the interplay between John and Anjelica Huston, even if they're on opposite sides of the camera.
Dead Man: It's the only Jarmusch film I've tried watching. I didn't make it all the way through. It deserves another chance.
Fish Tank: (2009) I do not know a thing about this movie except that everyone who sees it apparently thinks really, really hard about it afterward.
Kiss of the Spider Woman: Julia Carpenter's such a badass! I'm so excited about seeing this movie where Spider-Woman takes on such foes as Doc Ock and… This isn't what I think it is, is it?
Mon Oncle: I watched M. Hulot's Holiday recently and I greatly enjoyed it. I haven't seen anything else with Hulot and I'm pretty inexperienced with films about uncles.
My Left Foot: I only know Day-Lewis from his mustache roles.
Raise the Red Lantern: Randomly-picked movie that coincides with my interest in Chinese cinema.
Uzak: I've never seen a Turkish film.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

CloseFriend, you're right Das Boot is a lot better than it sounds.

Yama no oto is an excellent film. It kind of reminds me of Sirk, although in many ways they couldn't be more different. It's a subversive family drama with a ton of critiques of Japanese society, but instead of being brash it's subtle, and instead of large dramatic explosions it's almost unnaturally subdued. Where others might pound home a single point Naruse instead deals his criticisms with a million stabs at the willing blindness that pervades Japanese society, and parallels it with the way the plot develops. Hardly any big scenes are shown, instead there's subtle implications and nonchalant revelations, followed by a reserved aftermath. The more I think of it the more brilliant this construction is, but it's also the film's weakest point. The pacing isn't particularly slow, a lot is happening in any given scene and the plot progresses steadily, but the lack of a climax makes it hard to fully appreciate its power. I suspect a second viewing where, instead of trying to tie together what's going, I can focus on how things develop might push this up to a 10. It's only been 20 minutes and already I can feel my appreciation growing.

Updated list:

Highlander This is one of those Cult Classics that's really over the top and violent isn't it? And it has Sean Connery. That's all I know.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Highlander This is one of those Cult Classics that's really over the top and violent isn't it? And it has Sean Connery. That's all I know.

I'm picking a movie for you that I have actually seen!

I found The Conversation to be a movie that probably is a lot better the second time you watch it. It is very slow and for a big part of it seems that there's not a whole going on and I was really bored by it. All I could think of was that Rear Window did this already without all the filler! Then it shits gears once it hits the hotel section, which to be honest, scared the hell out of me. Those scenes and the subsequent ending made me think that I probably should have paid more attention to the rest of the movie.

My Shame List:

Serpico The other Lumet-Pacino collaboration.

Stray Dog More Kurosawa Noir.

Fantasia I remember skipping this movie as a child cause it was only musics and no story. The shame...

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Electronico6, you get La Règle du Jeu.
Highlander sucks. It's not a good movie and most of the time it's not an entertaining one either. It drags and drags, with horrible accents and bad cinematography and it's so 80s it hurts. The concept is cool, which only makes it all the more disappointing that they couldn't do more with "immortals fighting with swords trying to chop each others heads off."

Updated list:

Perceval le Gallois Rohmer may be my favourite director. I've seen everything else pre-1998, but King Arthur adaptations don't have a good track record with me.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Peaceful Anarchy, you get Lagaan, it's the only movie I've seen on your list, and I enjoyed it.

I watched "The Treasure of Sierra Madre", and what a great movie. I've never seen Bogart play such a nasty guy before, but I thought his performance was great. The movie moved at a great pace and was just very entertaining.

My new list:

1. 8 1/2:
Watched the first 5 minutes, and turned it off for some reason, I think I wasn't in the right mood that night.

2. The Lives of Others:
I have never heard of it before, but it appears to have a high rating on IMDB.

3. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid:
More Paul Newman

4. The Great Dictator:
Now that I've seen some Chaplin, this is one that always interested me.

5. To Kill a Mockingbird:
Honestly I don't know much about it other then that it's a movie that exists and is supposed to be good

6. The Elephant Man:
It's Karl Pilkington's favorite movie, which is enough reason for me to check it out sometime

7. In Bruges:
I know nothing about this, but it seems to be highly rated.

8. Network:
I seem to keep hearing about this lately, but don't know anything about it.

9. Ben Hur:
Another long epic I'm afraid of

10. The Big Sleep:
More Bogey

Already watched: Jaws, Scenes From a Marriage, The Searchers, Fanny and Alexander, Sawdust and Tinsel, Stagecoach, Silence of the Lambs, Modern Times, Do the Right Thing, Schindler's List, Mr Smith Goes to Washington, Magnolia, La Strada, Die Hard, Persona, Aliens, The Great Escape, Cool Hand Luke, 400 Blows, Lawrence of Arabia, The Treasure of Sierra Madre

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

zandert33 check out Network

These are all movies I have, just haven't gotten around to watching for whatever reason.

1. Paper Moon

2. Mean Streets - Scorsese rules but I keep getting interrupted when I try to watch this. It's like a curse, I think I've seen the awesome opening credits film reel thing and the bathroom heroin scene three times.

3. Sorcerer - Stories of how big a flop this is have turned me off, despite my love for Friedkin's earlier stuff. Also my copy is 4:3 pan and scan for whatever reason.

4. The Conversation

5. Barry Lyndon - Just never in the mood for movies set in this period

6. Medium Cool

7. Midnight Cowboy

8. Chinatown

9. The Rain People - I heard this was Easy Rider with a girl

10. The Graduate looks boring as all hell

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

d0s posted:

8. Chinatown

Feels like I've picked Chinatown for someone a lot.

Persona is certainly one of the most unique films that I've seen in a while. First of all, the lighting and cinematography are amazing. There are lots of neat visual tricks sprinkled throughout the film. I can't really form any coherent thoughts about the themes and meaning of the movie, I took it as mostly being about guilt, isolation and (mainly) projection. That's all obvious, though.

1. Persona Manhattan - Sounds creepy.

2. Tokyo Story - I think I might have a problem appreciating muted emotions in movies. I might have a hard time watching this.

3. Some Like it Hot - Wilder is pretty great.

4. Mean Streets - Love Scorsese, but I've heard people say that this is too similar to Taxi Driver but not nearly as good. That's okay, even if it isn't half as good as Taxi Driver it'll still be a good film.

5. Rio Bravo - John Wayne seemed like he was a real rear end in a top hat. Maybe I'll enjoy some of his films anyway.

6. The Graduate - I can't really get excited to watch this for some reason.

7. The Rules of the Game - Ranked as one of the very best movies of all time, I think it's a about class warfare or something. Ooooh, a war movie!

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Don't really know how I managed to avoid this for so long, not even ever seeing it on TV.

9. Nights of Cabiria - Haven't seen a ton of Italian films.

10. Brief Encounter - Haven't seen that many movies from the 40's. A David Lean film that isn't a sprawling adventure sounds interesting.

Watched(Score/100): The Seventh Seal 95, Moon 84, Barton Fink 95, The Thin Blue Line 86, Cool Hand Luke 87, Citizen Kane 96, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 91, Rear Window 94, North by Northwest 86, Goodfellas 97, Casablanca 95, City Lights 81, Seven Samurai 92, Bicycle Thieves 88, Do the Right Thing 95, The Battle of Algiers 86, On the Waterfront 78, Wild Strawberries 94, The Trial 91, Adaptation 89, Unforgiven 91, Annie Hall 86, The 400 Blows 88, Diabolique 80, Mulholland Dr. 98, Dirty Harry 60, The 39 Steps 82, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 92, 8 1/2 85, Boogie Nights 88, A Streetcar Named Desire 77, Raiders of the Lost Ark 92, The General 87, Pickpocket 74, Pulp Fiction 96, Amadeus 88, Lawrence of Arabia 92, Eraserhead 84, The Lady Vanishes 84, The Wild Bunch 83, A Clockwork Orange 79, Platoon 76, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 85, Ikiru 91, Jules and Jim 92, The Asphalt Jungle 81, M 86, The Thin Red Line 86, Dial M for Murder 85, The Sting 81, Once Upon a Time in the West 86, The Exterminating Angel 85, A Woman Under the Influence 96, Singin' in the Rain 85, Scenes from a Marriage 93, Badlands 85, City of God 91, The Gold Rush 74, The Maltese Falcon 86, The Conformist 87, The Shawshank Redemption 83, High and Low 90, It's a Wonderful Life 75, Days of Heaven 87, Le Samourai 71, The Night of the Hunter 91, Metropolis 93, The New World 86, Persona 81

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Atheistdeals.com, try Manhattan. Lots of fantastic cinematography.

I tried The Good The Bad and The Ugly on someones recommendation and I really enjoyed it. I think that was my first Sergio Leone film and it looks like he does quite a few westerns so I'll have to watch those as well. I love the overall mood but I wish we'd gotten to see more of whoever The Bad was; I forget his name. How did he end up in the army?

My revised list:

1. Kramer vs. Kramer - Barely know a thing about it other than it won some awards in a fairly big year so I feel like I should watch it.

2. Happy-Go-Lucky - I've been curious about it since I read the premise a couple of weeks ago.

3. Scenes From a Marriage - Added it to my wishlist but haven't followed through yet.

4. A Somewhat Gentle Man - I love introspective films like this one seems to be.

5. The Shining - I'm a big Opie and Anthony fan and they constantly reference it, which lends to my curiosity. I've seen the last 15 minutes of it and it seems creepy enough to sink into but I just haven't dedicated the time to sit and watch it.

6. Blade Runner - I don't know much about the film at all but my last roommate loved it to the point that he bought some ridiculously expensive 4-disc blu-ray set and told me I need to see it. I'm not a sci-fi fan, though.

7. Once Upon a Time in America - The running time is the only thing that's kept me from watching it, basically.

8. All the Presidents Men - I was a journalism major for awhile in college and this is supposedly the opus of journalists.

9. The Fighter - The previews made me hate it but too many people have told me how good it is so I'm torn.

10. Stranger Than Paradise - Really intrigued by the premise but Jarmusch is pretty hit or miss for me.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

BIZORT posted:

6. Blade Runner - I don't know much about the film at all but my last roommate loved it to the point that he bought some ridiculously expensive 4-disc blu-ray set and told me I need to see it. I'm not a sci-fi fan, though.
Don't have to be a Sci-Fi fan to enjoy this. It transcends the genre limitations. Directors or Final Cut is generally recommended.

Yojimbo oozed Leone through and through. I had to look it up afterwards because I knew there had to be a tie there. This is basically the movie that sets up Leone's universe. The film itself was a bit slow for my taste until the 3rd act where it was very well done. I'll rate it high on that alone because it really became enjoyable during that entire sequence.

I also watched How to Train Your Dragon. Fun little adventure ride there. Not quite Pixar quality stuff, but still a very solid overall movie. The movie just felt good everywhere but not great anywhere.

New List:

1. This is Spinal Tap - Looks like a movie I would love.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Sin City - I need something to fill my action slot, and I've always watched the action movies that I've really wanted to see. I've heard good things about this though.

4. Slumdog Millionaire - Most recent best picture movie I haven't seen. I have heard great things about this movie.

5. Rebecca - Hitchcock's best picture film. Like most everything else that's not recent on this list, I'm going in blind.

6. A Streetcar Named Desire - More Brando I haven't seen.

7. Stand by Me - Seems to be liked by everyone I know. What I know is that it's supposed to be a Goonies-esque coming of age type of adventure movie.

8. City Lights - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen and a nice reappearance of Chaplin.

9. Wild Strawberries - Have never seen a Bergman film (I know, I know).

10. Rashomon - Another Kurosawa classic.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

1. Trafic - I've seen Mr Hulot's Holiday and Playtime, but never this. My grandma's a big fan, so I really should.

2. Persona - I saw this once when I was 14-15, but I can't remember anything other than that I really disliked it. Would like to give it another chance.

3. Chinatown - Tried to watch it once, liked it but got distracted.

4. City of God - Don't know why I haven't already, the premise sounds really interesting and I've heard only good things about it.

5. The Departed - I caught a few minutes of this on tv and it just didn't seem like my cup of tea. The only Scorsese I've seen is Taxi Driver and Goodfellas.

6. North by Northwest - I've seen a couple of Hitchcock movies, but never this.

7. Punch Drunk Love - This and Hard Eight are the only P T Anderson movies I haven't seen.

8. Modern Times - I loved The Great Dictator, so I don't know why I haven't seen more of Chaplin's full-length movies. Feel free to recommend City Lights if you like that one better.

9. Easy Rider - This just seems like such a cool movie.

10. A Streetcar Named Desire - I started watching this once, but halfway through I managed to slice my palm open with a fruit knife and had to leave to get stitches. Now I just associate it with bad memories.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 27, 2011

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

Admiral Goodenough posted:

3. Chinatown - Tried to watch it once, liked it but got distracted.
One of my favorites. May take a bit of patience but totally worth it.

I watched City of God. Almost Perfection really. They managed to tell a pretty convoluted story in a very clear and captivating manner. There wasn't a single part of the film I didn't like. My only gripe would be that it was a tad long but still fantastic. 9.5/10

I also watched Cool Hand Luke. I'll pretty much watch any movie that has Paul Newman in it cause good god was he incredible. The one thing I found a bit unbelievable was when they threw him in the box because his mother died. I understand that they didn't want him to run but that seemed like overkill .
My list:

1. Aliens

I liked Alien enough to consider watching this but I'm a bit soured on Cameron cause of Avatar.

UPDATE 2. M

I hear this is one of the oldest serial killer flicks. They've always intrigued me.

3. Harold and Maude

I've seen a lot of satirical things based off this but haven't gotten around to it.

4. Network

I've heard people rave about it but all I know is the line "I'm mad as hell...."

5. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

I like westerns I just haven't gotten around to it. Also Paul Newman...

UPDATE 6. Raging Bull

Yeah I know...what the hell right?.

7. My Neighbor Totoro

I really love when a movie that's intended for children really hits home for adults to and I've heard that about this one.

8. North by Northwest

Always heard good things.

9.The Wrestler

I've seen everything else Aronofsky's done. The only one I didn't care for was Pi but that's just me.

10. Annie Hall

I don't think I like Woody Allen but who knows, maybe I do.

Cured of Shame:

Dr. Stranglelove (7.5/10), Cool Hand Luke (8/10), City of God (9.5/10)

Philip J. Fry fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 26, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Philip J. Fry, watch M.

Lagaan is a lot more entertaining than I expected. It's about an hour of back-story, an hour of training for a cricket match and an hour of cricket match, with an hour of musical numbers interspersed along the way. The drama is really well structured and the characters are diverse enough to keep things fun. It doesn't really need to be four hours but I have to admit it's well paced. My biggest issue is that I don't understand cricket. When the British lady was going to explain it I thought they'd let the audience in on it too, but I guess the intended audience knows all about cricket. This made the last hour kind of tedious not because it was badly done but because the dramatic cues didn't really make sense, although I could tell when something was good or bad I often couldn't tell why. If someone wants a taste of a good recent Bollywood movie this is something I can recommend.

Updated list:

Perceval le Gallois Rohmer may be my favourite director. I've seen everything else pre-1998, but King Arthur adaptations don't have a good track record with me.

The Warriors Come out and play. Cheesy cult classics don't generally find favour with me, but we'll see.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
1. Requiem for a Dream - It's been way over-hyped for me I guess. I'm sick of it coming up at parties and everyone busting out about how hosed up it is and then shivering. Even if it is a great movie just by being so talked up it will probably spoil it, so I've steered clear.

2. Schindler's List - Dunno why I haven't seen it.

3. Shawshank Redemption - Another one that I have no real excuse, I've just never seen it.

4. Blade Runner - I tried watching it and got bored at the 'eye guy' scene and turned it off. It's actually extremely rare for me to give up on a movie half way through and I couldn't tell you why I turned it off. Dunno.

5. The rest of the [/b]Matrix Trilogy[/b] - I watched the first one maybe five years after it came out and enjoyed it, and everyone has told me to avoid the next two so to avoid spoiling the first one. So far I've taken that advice but who knows maybe I should see them?

6. Persona - Another no-excuser.

7. 13 Tzameti - I found the trailer online and was absolutely blown away. I began telling my friends about it and we decided to watch it together. Everyone I've told about it to this date has ended up watching it without me, and for some reason that just turned me off it.

8. Any of the Indiana Jones films - I think I completely missed these by chance as a kid, and never got around to watching any of them as a grown up.

9. Koyaanisqatsi - I have it on my computer. I've been waiting until I have an afternoon and a bowl to myself. Whenever I do though I usually forget about it.

10. City of God - This one was hyped by a few people who's opinions I really trust and have been meaning to see it. Keeps slipping my mind though.

Hit me.

Edit: are you allowed to double post? that seems like cheating. Either way, Peaceful Anarchy, it's The Warriors for you! :hist101: :black101: :yarr:

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 26, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Battle of Algiers - Pretty good movie. I've seen a lot of occupier films before but most have been concerning Germans/Russians because Nazism and Communism make good archetypical enemies in the collective consciousness of our culture (and sell tickets). But this one candidly humanizes the symbiotic relationship a lot more and it's concerning the French. It's a shame what the human race does to each other.

I do have a question. How are the supplements on the 2nd and 3rd disc of the criterion? I may want to watch them if they're good. I noticed a lot of prominent directors take part.

IMDb list:

#165 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

#168 Finding Nemo - Saw some of this on TV and it seemed decent. 4/2/11

#169 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Is this similar to Snatch? 4/23/11

#183 Gandhi - I believe this was the first movie I added to the Netflix queue when I got that service. Then I added another 300+ movies and this vanished somewhere into ether. 5/18/11

#185 Judgment at Nuremberg - Vaguely remember hearing of it but never got around to it. 5/25/11

#196 The Hustler - I never did like Paul Newman's pasta sauces (the Newman's Own brand). Nasty frozen pizzas too. I don't care if they've given $300million USD to charity in the last 30 years! 6/16/11

#197 The Road AKA La Strada - I saw Nights of Cabiria a while ago and liked it so maybe I'll like this as well. That lead actress had a very unique presence/aura about her. 6/11/11

#199 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#200 Dial M for Murder - Another tennis player murder mystery? Hitchcock must've had something against tennis. 6/22/11

new #201 Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Clearly I am. 6/26/11

Necc0 posted:

8. Any of the Indiana Jones films - I think I completely missed these by chance as a kid, and never got around to watching any of them as a grown up.

Watch Raiders of the Lost Ark

Necc0 posted:

Edit: are you allowed to double post? that seems like cheating.

You mean recommend yourself a movie? No one has done that but a lot of people will watch a few on their list if they get curious.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Also, no one calls La Strada "The Road," it took me several minutes to figure out what film that was.

It seems like most like to retain the original title if it's short and contains just one definite article and one noun/verb. e.g. El Topo, La Strada, Das Boot, Ikiru (To Live) But if it gets any more complex than that then it's ditched (at least on IMDb). For uniformity I've adopted English 100% of the time.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 27, 2011

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Zogo posted:

You mean recommend yourself a movie? No one has done that but a lot of people will watch a few on their list if they get curious.

Nah I mean making multiple posts not only in the thread but on the same page. Seems to be against against the 'spirit' of the thread but whatever. Indiana Jones it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Necc0 posted:

Nah I mean making multiple posts not only in the thread but on the same page. Seems to be against against the 'spirit' of the thread but whatever. Indiana Jones it is!

If you complete your assigned movie you post to get a new assignment, why wouldn't you have multiple posts in the thread, or even the same page?