Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Tactics Ogre PSP

Fungah! posted:

When you get a chance, get a Lobber, stick it on your cleric, and give her the highest level of Field Alchemy you've got. Voila, you've now at least doubled your healing effectiveness.

If you're a really cool cat you wont even need a cleric. A rogue lobber with blowdart guns (the ones with status effect procs) can replace your healer(s) later in the game. :c00l:

Skills rank up all the way to 9. Some of them are virtually impossible to max out (screw stealing) while others will level up extremely fast. Don't worry too much about maxing out things that aren't related to your weapons as the differences are hardly noticeable.

Your archers will take out humanoids easily, but they will have issues with some of the bigger monster types. Canopus will become your TG Cid, take care of him.

Charm is broken, abuse it.

If you're going to cast offensive spells, learn which ones are direct damage and line of sight damage. While for the most part non-status effect offensive spells are lackluster, they work well against things like Golems and Dragons.

Pretty much everything Sentient Toaster has said. It's been awhile since I played it, and there's a few things I'm missing like one of the starter +1 shields having anti-Silence that you can toss on your casters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herobotic
Oct 9, 2007

You know, we've had a lot of fun here today, but there's nothing funny about people who pretend to throw a ball without actually throwing a ball.
Any tips for Magicka?

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
The best tip for Magicka is to play it with your friends. . . who will soon become people you will hate.

One of the toughest things about the game is getting the hang of the control scheme unless you're fantastic at multitasking or some sort of savant. By the time you're at the final chapters you'll be tossing around spells that have 8+ strings attached to them. The game does a good job with how it progresses you into the bigger spells if you choose to use them.

Memorize the Revive spell (once you unlock it). Chances are it will become second-nature to knock it out regardless if you want to learn it or not.

Play with the spell combinations. For example freezing things and tossing a boulder at them does massive damage. A good chunk of the game's entertainment comes from trying out different spells, attaching spells to your melee attacks, mixing spell combinations & the reactions they cause.

It's easy to loose gear in the game permanently. Just be careful around water, giant holes, or other hazards. Chances are they will kill you and swallow your gear if you're unlucky.

Seriously, you will hate your friends. Why are they so awful, what the hell are they doi- god dammit, now heal me you rear end in a top hat. NO, GOD DAMMIT

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Chinaman7000 posted:

Thanks for the Crysis advice. I went from crouching in grass shooting to throwing people off cliffs and jumping shotgun first into their face from stealth, much funner.

Hate the weapon limit though. I can throw a guy like 100 feet, why can't I carry another gun?!
There are mods for weapons. The exploding banana launcher from a HL2 mod makes an appearance. I only saw videos of the thing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Regarding Magicka, mix poo poo up. It's easy to fall into abusing cheap spell combos but the fun of the game is experimenting with new ways to explode things.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Contest Winner posted:

Can someone shoot me some tips for The Precursors and Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic?

As mentioned before, autoresolve is a very dangerous thing to use.

Specialize your heroes, they don't increase as rapidly as they did before. Marksman is a good thing to pick up since it improves all ranged physical attacks (Might improve magical ranged attacks too, but I don't think so)

Stones is a much more powerful spell than you might realize. Damage for magic attacks is a bit different from other attacks. The minimum damage is half the damage rating, not 1. So a DMG 8 spell is 4-8 (Maybe 5-8), while a DMG 8 attack is 1-8.

If you're doing the campaign they come in sets of three, and eventually the AI reaches a point where it pretty much breaks in terms of morale and will just cower at home, waiting for the end to come. If you want to exploit this, you can then just spend turns crafting out magical items for your Avatar + Heroes. Bring extras for any new guy you might pick up later.

Things that are definitely good for artifacts:
  • Spell Relay on helmet items. Increases the magic aura for spell casting from adjacent to the hero to like 8 hexes
  • The ability that also increases casting mana. Pop this on everyone for an extra 5/10 casting points.
  • You can get someone a full set of protections on their items. That gives them a 50% damage reduction for all attacks.
  • I would avoid stuff like Marksman on items, though. I don't think it stacks properly.
  • Making a misc item with multiple ranged attacks is a good idea. There are times when arrows are better than a cannon shot.
  • Something with regeneration. That's back to full health at the start of every turn.

There's an air spell that allows for ranged attacks to ignore cover. Put that on a hero with Marksman IV and a powerful ranged attack and you can snipe people.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 22, 2011

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007
Looking through my steam list, I see that I somehow acquired both STALKER games. Should I skip straight to the second one or start with the first?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Largejaroalmonds posted:

Looking through my steam list, I see that I somehow acquired both STALKER games. Should I skip straight to the second one or start with the first?

There's actually three STALKER games. So it depends which ones you have. Clear Sky is the worst one, though it's not terrible, and opinions are divided as to whether Shadow of Chernobyl or Call of Pripyat is the best. Personally I'd say start with SoC with the SoC Complete mod which pretties the game up and fixes a few bugs.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Largejaroalmonds posted:

Start with the first with the Shadow Of Chernobyl Complete mod. Fixes bugs and improves graphics. By second, do you mean Clear Sky or Call Of Pripyat? There were 3 Stalker games. Clear Sky should definitely be played after Shadow and is the worst of the three games, CoP can be played first but the story will make a lot more sense if you've played SoC.

e; fb

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire
- Am I the only one who HATES Blind Research? Every time I played with it on it seemed the game just kept me from getting the next tier of weapon or armor while I was at war, even if I had the game set to only research Conquer techs.

- If you haven't installed Alien Crossfire yet and play as the University, Hunter-Seeker Algorithm is probably the most important Secret Project as it makes you COMPLETELY IMMUNE TO ENEMY PROBE TEAMS and also increases your own Probe Teams' success rates if I recall correctly. Alien Crossfire nerfs it so that it isn't completely vital but is still pretty drat good.

- Air units pretty much dominate, especially if you install Alien Crossfire and get the Cloudbase Academy SP. The only downside is that most air units cannot take over bases so you'll still need some infantry.

- Getting to any tech named Secrets of (X) first will grant you an instant free tech. The first one requires only Social Psych and Biogenetics, but good luck beating the University (with their free tech on landing and high research rate) or the Peacekeepers (who start with Social Psych) to it, though.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Sentient Toaster posted:

That's one entry that may need some disambiguation. The PSP remake has a lot of important differences. So for Tactics Ogre PSP:

There is a lot of information on the page this quote came from about Tactics Ogre. I haven't played the original or the remake, so if I'm going to put the tips in their correct places on the wiki some kind soul is going to have to compile all of the tips into two neat lists for me.

Also, are the tips on the wiki for the SNES version, the PS1 version, or the PSP version?

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

There's actually three STALKER games. So it depends which ones you have. Clear Sky is the worst one, though it's not terrible, and opinions are divided as to whether Shadow of Chernobyl or Call of Pripyat is the best. Personally I'd say start with SoC with the SoC Complete mod which pretties the game up and fixes a few bugs.

Three, really? Well, in any event, I have SoC and CoP. Thanks for the advice.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Centipeed posted:

Also, are the tips on the wiki for the SNES version, the PS1 version, or the PSP version?
Everything currently on that page on the wiki is for the SNES and PS1 versions. Pretty sure the PS1 version is a direct port from SNES. Tactics Ogre PSP has the exact same name, but it's a total remake with a ton of changes to mechanics.

From recent pages, this, this and this are all about the PSP remake.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I'm literally the last person on Earth to play Oblivion. I know there's a big mod pack I should download that fixes a bunch of poo poo, yadda yadda, what I'm most concerned with is if there's a "small arms + repair" skill set like in Fallout 3 that just lets you tear rear end through the game, and then go back later and try out the cool weird poo poo.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Silentman0 posted:

I'm literally the last person on Earth to play Oblivion. I know there's a big mod pack I should download that fixes a bunch of poo poo, yadda yadda, what I'm most concerned with is if there's a "small arms + repair" skill set like in Fallout 3 that just lets you tear rear end through the game, and then go back later and try out the cool weird poo poo.

Longsowrds + an armor skill + Repair is the original small arms + repair, but the key to incredible power in Oblivion is enchanting items. Go to the Mage's Guild in any of the cities besides the main one and join. You'll have to do a bunch of quests to get access to the main city's guild and the Enchanting shrine, in the mean time leveling up Alteration so you can cast the soul stealing spell (alternatively you can look up how to get the sword Umbra which is enchanted with soul steal, but you have to abuse the level geometry to beat the NPC with it early on).

Once you've got that done, stockpile soul gems, fill them and just make huge stacks of enchanted weapons and armor. Chameleon armor is famously game-breaking.

Taking Illusion as a starting skill and grinding to the point you can cast Invisibility ASAP will give you enormous power too.

Don't take Alchemy as a major skill but while you're in a Mage guild steal some alchemy equipment and use it anytime you find a convenient pile of reagents. The skill raises fast and can make some helpful things.

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 23, 2011

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Silentman0 posted:

Honestly I suggest using Oblivion XP. Normally in elder scrolls games you improve your skills by praticing them. So to be better at blades you hit people with blades. With XP it turns the game into a normal rpg where you assign skill points and attribute points when you gain a level. You gain levels by killing, completing quests and doing other things like reading books. There are differences between classes so if you choose a magic focused character upgrading your magic skills will be less expensive than upgrading your warrior skills. Its good because you might want to be good at something but don't feel like practicing forever and and the skill isn't that vital in the game. Destruction 100 is awesome but it will take you forever and a day to get there through practice and general usage. Generally though have a look on the nexus and see what the 25 most populat mods ever are. The safe for work ones unless you want to be forever alone which is what the not safe for work ones will doom you to.

If you are going to go totally unmodded then blade, block, heavy armour and repair will totally get you through. Its not that exciting but there you go.

Other than that decide what you want to do early. If you want to have heavy armour decide that at the start. Don't gently caress about and waste xp or have to get hit by low level enemies forever if you suddenly decide you want to go light armour instead.

Oh and murder some innocent. This leads to the dark brotherhood questline, the best in the game. Shivering Isles the expansion is totally worth it if you thought there was any promise in oblivion at all.

Oh and jump like motherfucker. When you get to 50 acrobatics you can roll around the place and it can be useful for the fighting. Don't set it as a majot skill though or you will level too fast and be hosed.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 23, 2011

Meningism
Dec 31, 2008
I realize this has been covered many times throughout this thread, but it's close to 230 pages now. Any way someone can sum up what I need going into Mass Effect 2 (continuing a character from ME1) that isn't covered in the ME2 thread?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Goofballs posted:

Oh and jump like motherfucker. When you get to 50 acrobatics you can roll around the place and it can be useful for the fighting. Don't set it as a majot skill though or you will level too fast and be hosed.

100 acrobatics is where it's at. Skipping on the water from the Imperial City all the way down to Leyawiin is the best.

I would def suggest the XP mod as well because getting to the higher skill levels will be really tedious and time-wasting with the vanilla settings.

As for ME2 I think the only thing you really need to know is that engaging the mission with "IFF" in the title will trigger the end-game, so you should get all the side missions, character loyalty etc out of the way before that.

Mining is a pain, but make sure you really go over the planets with eezo since it's pretty rare. If you are going for the best outcome at the end, you will want to make sure you upgrade everything and get everyone loyal.

Also the add on content from the Cerberus Network pack is definitely worth it.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Meningism posted:

I realize this has been covered many times throughout this thread, but it's close to 230 pages now. Any way someone can sum up what I need going into Mass Effect 2 (continuing a character from ME1) that isn't covered in the ME2 thread?

I'm going through the thread now via Google and compiling all of the tips I find.

When I'm done in a couple of minutes I'll post the link to the wiki.

Edit: http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Mass_Effect_2

Sentient Toaster posted:

Everything currently on that page on the wiki is for the SNES and PS1 versions. Pretty sure the PS1 version is a direct port from SNES. Tactics Ogre PSP has the exact same name, but it's a total remake with a ton of changes to mechanics.

From recent pages, this, this and this are all about the PSP remake.

Thanks. I've created two separate pages for the SNES/PS1 and PSP versions, and added the relevant tips.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 23, 2011

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Centipeed posted:

I'm going through the thread now via Google and compiling all of the tips I find.

When I'm done in a couple of minutes I'll post the link to the wiki.

Edit: http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Mass_Effect_2

Thanks. I've created two separate pages for the SNES/PS1 and PSP versions, and added the relevant tips.
A final note:
All squadmembers as well as Shepard have a passive upgrade stat. These are good investments, and should be maxed sooner rather than later. Shepards passive stat, besides increasing various combat stats, also both increases current Paragon/Renegade score, as well as the rate of Paragon/Renegade gain. If you want to max either side of the morality, consider maxing his/her passive stat first.

You don't have to get it asap to max paragon during the game, but I find it can be hard to get 100% renegade without having the extra help from the passive, if you want to avoid being a total dick to your crewmembers.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 23, 2011

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Meningism posted:

I'd like to add the following to the pointers from the BIP-wiki page:

• The controls (if you're on the PC, at least) and mechanics have changed a bit; this may require some adjusting, so be prepared to persevere for a bit if the start is a little rough.
  • Do not pass up the opportunity to get an extra squadmate. If you must, you can always get him/her/it killed at the end.
  • Even if you're playing a power-reliant class (Adept in particular), do not think you should not be using your guns! They are invaluable at both softening up or finishing targets, especially on the higher difficulty levels, where all enemies after the introduction have at least one extra layer of defence.
  • For your first playthrough at least, you may want to maximise either your Paragon or your Renegade score so you won't be unable to make the difficult checks that you don't know about yet.
  • Interrupts are great, but sometimes it's worth skipping them to resolve the situation in a different way (cf. the reporter lady in particular).
  • It's fine to skip the content DLC - most of which is great - for your first playthrough at least. Get Kasumi and Zaeed anyway, though. Also, it's probably best not to start off the bat with the Firepower pack because it's kind of overpowered. Lots of fun for subsequent playthroughs, however!
  • When you finish the game, but you haven't done all the non-essential missions or DLC yet, don't exit to the main menu! If you choose to continue playing, you'll be able to complete at your leisure everything you haven't done yet; may be useful for an ME3 import. This is also especially important for the Arrival DLC, which only makes (some) sense after you have completed your main objective.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 23, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'd say you should not stick with one path for the first playthrough; do what you like best and stuff. IT makes the first save really yours and later on you can always powergame one side.

- You can use the "move up" command while aiming at an enemy in the tactical pause to assign target to your squadmates.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Picked up Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga from the sale on Steam. Any tips?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Chief Savage Man posted:

- Mindread everything, at worst you get a insignificant throwaway though, but usually it unlocks extra stuff/hidden things/passwords/skillbooks/experience/statpoints.
- Points in mindread cost reduction are pretty useless.
- There is a very obvious point of no return about 1/3 into the gamee, play intro > broken valley > plot point place. The fjords are for later so don't go there yet.
- You can overtrain skills once you get your dragon form, use your trainers for it.
- Keep malachite gems, they are needed for the best enchants, are limited and you only get more in the expansion.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Chief Savage Man posted:

There are some more tips to supplement Zedd's on the wiki:

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Divinity_2:_The_Dragon_Knight_Saga

Meningism
Dec 31, 2008
Wow, I didn't even know this thread had a wiki. Great stuff, thanks guys.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Anyone got anything for Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries? There's only a couple of tips on the wiki and they're about the multiplayer.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
I played the Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment demo and loved it. Anything I should know before I buy it? It's my first SRPG.

Vita
Nov 7, 2009
I just picked up Civilization V and I've never played a Civ game before.

PandasEVERYWHERE
Feb 16, 2009
Picked up the F.E.A.R. series on the Steam sale. There isn't a page on it so any tips on it? I'm pretty early in the first game (I just saved the hostage with the bomb strapped to his chest), and I'm not gonna lie, I'm not enjoying it too much. :( Should I continue or will it be the same tedious gun fight again and again? The visions are pretty cool, though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PandasEVERYWHERE posted:

Picked up the F.E.A.R. series on the Steam sale. There isn't a page on it so any tips on it? I'm pretty early in the first game (I just saved the hostage with the bomb strapped to his chest), and I'm not gonna lie, I'm not enjoying it too much. :( Should I continue or will it be the same tedious gun fight again and again? The visions are pretty cool, though.

If you don't care for the destructive feel of F.E.A.R.'s (dumb name) weapons its not going to change and suddenly make you like it. Its that for the whole rest of the outing in varying office areas.

Even if you do enjoy it, I'd skip F.E.A.R. 2 since its basically everything bad about the first one cranked up to 11.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

PandasEVERYWHERE posted:

Search the areas you are in for the updgrades to health and time slow. Ok that seems obvious but the places they are in you could easily blow past in a rush.

The fights get more interesting because you have to depend on the time slow thing more often.

I can't remember much more about it. Its a fun action romp but if you have played 4 or 5 hours you know what the action is like. If you have played an hour, half an hour you don't know yet.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

PandasEVERYWHERE posted:

About the time you start feeling comfortable with the game mechanics and can easily deal with all the enemies you have been fighting, there will be a frustrating level with stealthy enemies that are a lot harder than anything you've fought yet. Push on through, after that level the pace goes back to what it was before with very few of those stealthy enemies.

You are almost always safe when one of the vision sequences starts - I think there's only one place before the end where you can get attacked near a vision sequence. After you have been playing a while, the visual cues that you are going to have a vision will be a bit of a relief.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

About the time you start feeling comfortable with the game mechanics and can easily deal with all the enemies you have been fighting, there will be a frustrating level with stealthy enemies that are a lot harder than anything you've fought yet. Push on through, after that level the pace goes back to what it was before with very few of those stealthy enemies.

You are almost always safe when one of the vision sequences starts - I think there's only one place before the end where you can get attacked near a vision sequence. After you have been playing a while, the visual cues that you are going to have a vision will be a bit of a relief.

The stealthy enemies die on one hit from a shotgun, and aren't too hard to spot once you find out what you're looking for. The shotgun is just awesome in general, try to keep one with you all the time.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

Captain Novolin posted:

The stealthy enemies die on one hit from a shotgun, and aren't too hard to spot once you find out what you're looking for. The shotgun is just awesome in general, try to keep one with you all the time.

Alternatively: Slide tackle all of those assholes. There was one part where they just coming and coming and I started freaking out. All my weapons at the time were kind of useless so I mashed my melee button and ended up sliding into one. He fell over dead instantly and I must have done that about 5 more times just for that one little area.

More general FEAR advice:

-Rebind everything, I remember the controls in the first game being kind of goofy but taking a few minutes to bind all the actions to keys you're more comfortable with makes the rest of the game a lot more enjoyable. Throw in the slow-mo and you'll be doing all sorts of amazing things without really thinking it through, like throwing mines or grenades and shooting them mid-air :hellyeah:
-When you get to the expansions, melee all the doors open because it is infinitely more badass (some would argue that this feature is the only redeeming part of the expansions)

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
I just picked up Giants: Citizen Kabuto from GoG. Anything I should know before diving into it?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What should I know about Napoleon: Total War? I already have Empire: Total War, which I'm not great at, but it seems like the battles are trickier now on account of the fact that canister shot got nerfed and that enemies are smart enough to not just walk into your battle line and let you murder them with canister shot anymore.

So all my E:TW strategies are out the window.

I guess I'm also looking for campaign map tips as well - the Napoleon Campaigns seem hard to make money on, at least in the beginning. No more trade routes (at least on the Italy and Egypt maps), and money's too tight in the beginning to raise and pay a big army.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Anything I should know for Dungeon Siege 2 including the expansion?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What is the best way to learn to play Europa Universalis III?

I'm familiar with Civilizations and Total Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

oneof3steves posted:

I just picked up Giants: Citizen Kabuto from GoG. Anything I should know before diving into it?
It's all pretty self-explanatory, really. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that you can return to a Smartie shop to reload, restock, and heal again and again and again, so in most missions there's no need to worry about conserving ammo or items.