Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

2508084 posted:

Assassination is only really applied to "important" people though, isn't it? You never really hear about everyday people getting assassinated.
That's because "assassination" is a very specific, very deliberate form of murder, usually in order to achieve a particular aim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

2508084 posted:

Assassination is only really applied to "important" people though, isn't it? You never really hear about everyday people getting assassinated.

Assassination is defined as targeted murder with a political goal, you usually can't do that by killing random schmucks. Without the targeted criteria it's terrorism and without the political criteria it's just ordinary murder.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Hmm, I didn't know that assassination meant political in nature. Does it carry the same weight as murder in the legal system?

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor
Turns out me and about 3 other people are the only ones not cheating in my class of about 15. Should I tell the professor or let it be?

Dudebro posted:

Hmm, I didn't know that assassination meant political in nature. Does it carry the same weight as murder in the legal system?

I would assume that, depending on the stability of the area, it'd result in a kangaroo court case for murder, or (in more extreme circumstances) extrajudicial reprisal killing.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Zewle posted:

Turns out me and about 3 other people are the only ones not cheating in my class of about 15. Should I tell the professor or let it be?
Depends on how seriously they're cheating, what the subject is, and how much of a gently caress you give.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Zewle posted:

You have to be more specific about what constitutes "cheating". Copying each other's homework is significantly different than pulling (non attributed) direct quotes of scholarly articles to put into their dissertation.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Zewle posted:

Check the student handbook. Many colleges and universities have clauses whereby if you know about cheating and don't report it, that's also considered academic dishonesty.

Personally, I'd report it in any case; if 75% of the students in a class feel that they need to cheat in order to pass, there's something wrong on a systemic level, and if they don't feel that they need to cheat, they're probably doing it in other classes as well. Either way, the administration needs to know about it.

Zewle
Aug 12, 2005
Delaware Defense Force Janitor

TetsuoTW posted:

Depends on how seriously they're cheating, what the subject is, and how much of a gently caress you give.

Jeffrey Colon posted:

You have to be more specific about what constitutes "cheating". Copying each other's homework is significantly different than pulling (non attributed) direct quotes of scholarly articles to put into their dissertation.

Computer Science 2. They're reusing virtually verbatim assignments off the internet and doing it as a group then making it different just enough to not be identical. Both are against policy.

I started talking to them for help since it's a relatively big assignment and quickly found out that I was the only one who had actually started and had any idea of what to do (which is crazy considering CS1 in Spring was my first time ever touching any programming). They're all fine with screwing up during the final since it's only 15% of the grade. This is also a small school so it doesn't appear to have any software for checking these assignments either.

I don't know if I really care, but it's enough to make me at least think about it.

EDIT:

Not sure if it's childish, but on one level I'm in community college actually making an effort, and these are bunch of pampered slackers from the nearby university. That does make doing something about it more attractive. On the other hand, they seem like nice enough guys.

Zewle fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 22, 2011

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
I personally would say not to mess with it man. I've been in similar situations, so I can understand that it'd piss you off that people are cutting corners and being lazy when you're putting in a bunch of effort. Short term they'll get the assignment done, but long term they'll have not ever learned any of it. I know that I would have had big issues getting a job out of college had I not paid attention in my programming classes.

Even if they're not going IT, their laziness will catch up with them eventually as I'm sure they take the easy route in more aspects in life than just Computer Science 2.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Zewle posted:

Computer Science 2. They're reusing virtually verbatim assignments off the internet and doing it as a group then making it different just enough to not be identical. Both are against policy.
Is their cheating going to gently caress up your grade? If you're going to get screwed by their cheating, report it. If not, gently caress 'em, the only people they're hurting are themselves. It might not be the most ethical answer to the problem, but it is, personally, the most practical.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Living in California, USA, I am no stranger to tipping. I tip 20% on average if the service is good. I got no problems with that, and I'm not here to debate whether or not tipping should occur and what percent if so.

My question is that in reading something on Lifehacker which pointed out Tip rates all over the world, they broke down USA in more detail and mentioned Wine Steward/Sommelier.

This got me thinking. It's easy enough to leave a tip for the wait-staff at the end of the meal. They divvy it up (or should be) with their bussers and they know who it's for. When/how are you supposed to get a tip to the Sommelier or Wine Steward?! (and to a lesser extent, if not sitting at 'the bar' at a Sushi restaurant, how do you get a designated tip to the Awesome Sushi Chef?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zewle posted:

Of course you should report them. Regardless of what your handbook says, it's dishonest not to report cheating. And their unwarranted grades will devalue yours. Aso they'll never know how they got busted if you keep it to yourself (and the dean or whoever.). Plus gently caress cheaters. Anyone telling you not to report them for any reason is a cheater too.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Dudebro posted:

It doesn't have to be political it's just about the target being somebody prominent. The word also has the sense of killing in secret or from a hidden position.

In the US the murder of elected officials is covered by specific laws.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

Wasn't there a volunteer thread at one point? I can't find it, does anyone have a link?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Apparently there was an A/T thread a while back that fell into the archives about voice work and voice acting. I have no idea how I'd go to start looking for that, as search doesn't do archives, and it seems silly to make a thread if it's been done already. Does anybody happen to have a link handy to the old one, or know something about search that I don't?

Thanks! :)

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
I would like to get my boss a gift for being an awesome boss. He loves scotch. I know nothing about scotch. Can someone recommend me a nice bottle to buy for him?

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

iloverice posted:

I would like to get my boss a gift for being an awesome boss. He loves scotch. I know nothing about scotch. Can someone recommend me a nice bottle to buy for him?

What is your budget? Good scotches vary a lot in price, so how much are you willing to spend?

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja

Rhizoid posted:

What is your budget? Good scotches vary a lot in price, so how much are you willing to spend?

Up to $100.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

iloverice posted:

Glenfiddich is always a safe choice. Smooth single malt, easily found, various ages available, not too expensive.

the party god
Feb 23, 2011
Anyone else been having problems with the 'go to latest unread post' button that shows up on topics? It was working fine for me until this week, and now when I use that button it always brings me to the very bottom of the last unread page, and not to the top of the last unread post. Doing the same thing on Chrome and Firefox, Mac and Windows, and on 2 different computers. Ideas?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

iloverice posted:

Do you have any sense of what kind of scotch he likes? Like, I don't know, does he have any bottles laying around in the office? Do you work at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce?

Here's a couple that I like in that price range:

http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=620036&cid=TPV-Googlebase
http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1010986

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 22, 2011

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
Thanks for the suggestions! I don't really know what kind of scotch he likes; I just know that it is his drink of choice whenever we go out.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Jeffrey Colon posted:

and because there aren't mass murdering sprees every day. The fact that an insane man entered a building and started shooting innocent people based on some delusion in his head makes the fact that Giffords is overcoming this enormous tragedy slightly newsworthy, wouldn't you say?

I never said it wasn't newsworthy. My question is why is so much attention being poured on Gabriel Giffords? if you are saying the situation she overcome I will agree, but lots of innocent people get shot everyday. And i am not sayinmg it isn't a tragic situation because it is. There were other people who got shot, maybe not in the head but are still recovering.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

b0nes posted:

I never said it wasn't newsworthy. My question is why is so much attention being poured on Gabriel Giffords? if you are saying the situation she overcome I will agree, but lots of innocent people get shot everyday. And i am not sayinmg it isn't a tragic situation because it is.

It's an uplifting human-interest story, lots of people love to read those and the media loves to give it to them. It started out as national news because she was a politician and remained national news because the media loves ongoing long-term narratives.

If you can't understand why people like to see someone recover from tragedy and trauma, that's a different question.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

b0nes posted:

I never said it wasn't newsworthy. My question is why is so much attention being poured on Gabriel Giffords? if you are saying the situation she overcome I will agree, but lots of innocent people get shot everyday. And i am not sayinmg it isn't a tragic situation because it is. There were other people who got shot, maybe not in the head but are still recovering.
No one cares about those people compared to a congresswoman

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
The only thing mysterious or puzzling about this is why it is so difficult for you to understand.

laughterhouse five
Feb 17, 2011

by elpintogrande
I never said it wasn't newsworthy. My question is why is so much attention being poured on Princess Diana? if you are saying the situation she happen I will agree, but lots of innocent people get car everyday. And i am not sayinmg it isn't a tragic situation because it is. There were other people who got car.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Does fulsome mean abundant and thorough or does it mean something else? I'm confused. An online dictionary says it means offensively flattering or insincere and there is a usage problem for the way in which I've heard it being used many times today, which is to mean abundant or copious.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
As far as I know, the "original" meaning is "excessive" with a negative connotation. Like a smarmy car salesman. But like all words, when enough people misuse it enough, it gets another meaning, which is how you heard it: "abundant" or "copious."

Apples and Oranges
Jun 28, 2009

iloverice posted:

As TheAngryDrunk mentioned, if you can find out what types he likes, that might help. I feel like they vary quite a bit. This one is quite smooth in my experience:

Balvenie DoubleWood
http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=620016

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
In Firefox, what would I have to do to make a website think I've never been there before?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

b0nes posted:

First of all, her name is Gabrielle. Gabriel is a man's name. And second of all, her recovery from being shot in the head at point blank range has been remarkable. All of her doctors say so. She is a well-known and well-loved political figure here (I live in her district). Her story is uplifting and in many ways, shows that "good" can triumph over "evil," since she wasn't assassinated as Loughner planned and is working on making an excellent recovery. Why wouldn't a story like that be national news? Oh, and even here in her district, it's not like we're getting daily television reports. We hear about it when bigger things happen, like her being released from the hospital recently. We don't get constant updates or anything.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Human Tornada posted:

In Firefox, what would I have to do to make a website think I've never been there before?

Clear your cache/cookies. But it might go by IP address.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
^ FU :argh:

Human Tornada posted:

clear your cookies

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Zewle posted:

For a lot of CS code assignments, the profs can run anti-cheat software to measure similarity between implementations. Shallow changes usually aren't enough to full these things. Who knows if your prof is bothering, especially for non-finals work. Do you have a TA you can ask about what the class policies are?

Apples and Oranges
Jun 28, 2009

Xandu posted:

Clear your cache/cookies. But it might go by IP address.

If you think the site is actively trying to detect this, you might also want to clear browser history: http://fernandomagro.com/security/browser-history-disclosure-vulnerability/

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Human Tornada posted:

Remove all relevant cookies and check the /Flash_Player/#SharedObjects subdirectory in your .macromedia user directory. Some sites dump further subdirs in there, but you may not recognise the names, because third parties may be involved as well.

Safest is to wipe all cookies, browser and download history, the cache, and any formdata you've saved. Then delete the .adobe and .macromedia user directories. In Windows they're somewhere in Docs & Settings/your_name/App Data (or Local/App Data). They're recreated on first use. And sometimes there's stuff left hanging in /tmp - /temp and/or Local Settings/temp in Windows. You can keep any saved passwords.

There is/used to be a very nice and comprehensive tool for tracking spyware and keeing your machine clean at the same time. Checked LSOs, ActiveX controls, registry entries, etc. for foul play or just junk, as well as MRU entries and other usage tracks, so you could come back to a tidy state. Called SpyBot Research, done by a German guy I think. Free.

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

stubblyhead posted:

Call them up and ask what the gently caress. Their phone support is excellent.

I did. Turns out that they have maybe half a dozen sub companies that each deal with a different type of client. So if you're a military officer, you get one company, and if you're the dependent of a military officer you get a different company, etc. But it has no effect on customer service at all--you'll get the same operators, service, etc regardless of the sub-company.

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

laughterhouse five posted:

I never said it wasn't newsworthy. My question is why is so much attention being poured on Princess Diana? if you are saying the situation she happen I will agree, but lots of innocent people get car everyday. And i am not sayinmg it isn't a tragic situation because it is. There were other people who got car.

The news doesn't cover regular people--only famous people, major politicians, rich people, etc. What part of that do you not understand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

gp2k posted:

The news doesn't cover regular people--only famous people, major politicians, rich people, etc. What part of that do you not understand?

This is a tautology. Gabrielle Giffords was not covered by national news before she was shot. She was not, by most conventional definitions of the term, 'famous', and did not have a substantial reputation as a major player on the Hill - she was just another one of the 435, important to residents of her district, and maybe extreme inside baseball watchers, but otherwise, pretty unremarkable, and certainly not the sort of person covered by national news.

She is famous *because* her story is heavily covered by national news. She is not national news *because* she is famous. As to why she's covered? It's because it's a compelling story that people are interested in hearing. The shooting itself was major national news - this goes without saying. The fact that the intended target of the shooting is making a fairly miraculous recovery, well above and beyond anyones expectations (hell, she was being reported DEAD by many early news reports that day), is news.