Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

repsnake posted:

Started my first adventures into post-processing. This isn't the place to request it, but I am open to criticism.

Backside of Font's Point

Anza-Borrego Desert Visitor's Center Trail

I think the first one is better. I like the repeating bushes and how they form a triangle with the clouds. Shapes are visually appealing. You might try cropping the foreground a bit as you have a lot of empty space there. As it's framed right now, you have the horizon pretty close to the center. Normally you don't want to do this, but in this instance the two halves are balanced, so I think it works.

In the second one, I think that it would look better in B&W because of the washed out sky and muted colors. In general desert scenes are great to play around with B&W. Composition wise, I would have tried a shot with that bush in the foreground to add depth to the scene. You somewhat have a leading line with that trail, but it's not that strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Just started shooting landscapes again in a long time. I'm really liking it. I just got a polarizer and a ND filter for my Hasselblad so that will probably help. The only problem is that I really would like a wide-angle lens but the 40mm costs $7,000 and the 50mm is $3,500. :( Guess I'll have to shop around...

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 28, 2011

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Are you only willing to consider cfi/cfe lenses? You could get a CF T* Distagon for under 1k on keh.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Mannequin posted:

All this needs is a fish, and you've got Three Worlds :sun:

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

While working up north I had a chance to spend an afternoon in an old cemetery:

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

Rot posted:

While working up north I had a chance to spend an afternoon in an old cemetery:

Whoa this picture has an eerie feeling. I hope it's intentional.

I know there is some phenomenal photo in this thread and I wish someday I will take some nice picture. I went for a walk in the wood and took some picture. If I can get post processing tips in lightroom I would appreciate. I wish I had a polarizer...

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Niagalack posted:

I know there is some phenomenal photo in this thread and I wish someday I will take some nice picture. I went for a walk in the wood and took some picture. If I can get post processing tips in lightroom I would appreciate. I wish I had a polarizer...

Not really sure there is to much you can do for these, a polarizer would have helped a bit but your big issue is the light. The light is way to harsh for you to get a good photo. I find for forest photos (which are much harder than you would expect) overcast days work best, that or sunrise/sunset or around then. As soon as you have direct light it is going to make in increasingly hard to get a decent shot.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

Dread Head posted:

Not really sure there is to much you can do for these, a polarizer would have helped a bit but your big issue is the light. The light is way to harsh for you to get a good photo. I find for forest photos (which are much harder than you would expect) overcast days work best, that or sunrise/sunset or around then. As soon as you have direct light it is going to make in increasingly hard to get a decent shot.

Does it affect the color? I think I will attempt to take a picture at sunset today to see the difference.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Niagalack posted:

Does it affect the color? I think I will attempt to take a picture at sunset today to see the difference.

Yes the time of day will effect the colour, sunrise/sunset you tend to get a much warmer light as the sun passes through more atmosphere(sunsrt tends to be warmer than sunrise colour wise). If you are shooting in raw you will be able to tweak this with your white balance. After the sun has set you should still be able to shoot for a bit, during this time I find the light temperature to be much cooler (bluer).

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Niagalack posted:

Somewhat intentional. It was a dreary rainy day and the whole place is densely overgrown:

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

Rot posted:

Somewhat intentional. It was a dreary rainy day and the whole place is densely overgrown:

I cant critique you because I like your picture. Only thing i can say is keep it up!

I was planning on shotting tonigh but I dont think I will be able to... wife about to give birth ! the machine has started ! :D!

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Niagalack posted:

I was planning on shotting tonigh but I dont think I will be able to... wife about to give birth ! the machine has started ! :D!

Oh man...is this your first? And so it begins :D

Congrats!

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
3rd one sorry for being off topic

Posting another just to stay on the subject.

Niagalack fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 1, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Niagalack posted:

3rd one sorry for being off topic

Posting another just to stay on the subject.

That's pretty cool. There's a spot near where I work that has a temporary pond in it making a scene similar to this. I tried to go take a picture of it the other day but got completely molested by mosquitoes, so everything I took looked like rear end (pro tip: don't try to swat bugs and release the shutter at the same time).

I've been meaning to load up on bug spray and go back, haven't gotten around to it yet.

Admiral
Dec 14, 2000

If you see this man, slap him in the nuts for me.

Mannequin posted:

Just started shooting landscapes again in a long time. I'm really liking it. I just got a polarizer and a ND filter for my Hasselblad so that will probably help. The only problem is that I really would like a wide-angle lens but the 40mm costs $7,000 and the 50mm is $3,500. :( Guess I'll have to shop around...
Goddamn I love the tone in those shots.

MrOpus
Mar 21, 2004

Crosspostin' from SAD. From over the holiday weekend.

Door County Afternoon 1 by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Door County Afternoon 2 by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Door County Afternoon 3 by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Door County Afternoon 4 by Chad Larson Photography, on Flickr

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

xzzy posted:

That's pretty cool. There's a spot near where I work that has a temporary pond in it making a scene similar to this. I tried to go take a picture of it the other day but got completely molested by mosquitoes, so everything I took looked like rear end (pro tip: don't try to swat bugs and release the shutter at the same time).

I've been meaning to load up on bug spray and go back, haven't gotten around to it yet.

There has been a lot of rain this year and the wood is flooded. There were a tons of mosquitoes ...

After 16 hour of labor the labor stopped and they returned us home. We wont see the 3rd one today... Oh well.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Hvalfell - 01 by fuglsnef, on Flickr

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

David Pratt posted:

Hvalfell - 01 by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Something looks very off about the clouds.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

William T. Hornaday posted:

Something looks very off about the clouds.
The clouds look posterised.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

alkanphel posted:

The clouds look posterised.

The sky was overexposed, so I lowered the exposure of the whole image until there was some detail in the clouds, then used the tone curve to bring the now-dark landscape back up.

Do you think the clouds look off because there's less detail in them than there should be? Any advice on recovering an overexposed sky from a single image?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

David Pratt posted:

The sky was overexposed, so I lowered the exposure of the whole image until there was some detail in the clouds, then used the tone curve to bring the now-dark landscape back up.

Do you think the clouds look off because there's less detail in them than there should be? Any advice on recovering an overexposed sky from a single image?
It just feels like the clouds are washed out. What you can try is to create a duplicate image, expose one for the sky and one for the landscape then blend them together with layers and masks.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

There's some fantastic shots in this thread and I hope one day to reach that level. I have recently started doing landscape photography and here's some of the shots I've taken the past few weeks.

Castleton by The Croc84, on Flickr

Ladybower by The Croc84, on Flickr

The Croc fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 6, 2011

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Crossposting from SAD:

IMG_0476 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_0472 by bernsai, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Crossposting from SAD

The Blue Sky by alkanphel, on Flickr

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

The Croc posted:

Castleton by The Croc84, on Flickr

This one has potential- needs post processing though (level horizon, fix white balance, contrast, etc)

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Really happy with the way this one came out

Storm off the 5 Freeway by francography, on Flickr

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 8, 2011

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Clovelly100611-4 by Andrew.Cooke, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

somnambulist posted:

Really happy with the way this one came out

Storm off the 5 Freeway by francography, on Flickr

That's fantastic. Really dramatic lighting. Could just be me, or the way the hills rise, but it looks like the horizon's not quite level.

jm3000
Jan 19, 2004

Pancake Dance Party
Nap Ghost
Can't let this thread fall to page 2.

Here's one from a recent trip:

Point Reyes Beach by johnm3000, on Flickr

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
Things to remember when honeymooning in Bora Bora, in order:

a) Credit card
b) Wife
c) Polarising filter.

Unfortunately, (c) got left behind in the 'holy crap we have to be at the airport an hour ago!' rush.

viewtastic by joelalexanderwright, on Flickr

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI
That's unreal. Built in Windows wallpaper material! (I mean that as a compliment)

For content:

DSC_4258 by MarneusC, on Flickr

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

jm3000 posted:

Here's one from a recent trip:

Point Reyes Beach by johnm3000, on Flickr
Oh, the warmth! It makes me want to go frolic.

joelcamefalling posted:

viewtastic by joelalexanderwright, on Flickr
Interesting.. The clouds seem to be mirroring the structures below them.

---

I finally decided on some proper titles for my latest Kansas photos:

at first I was like... by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

...but then I serious'd by jwallacephoto, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

quazi posted:

Interesting.. The clouds seem to be mirroring the structures below them.

They probably are.. mountains have a huge effect on shaping winds, and if surface air get pushed upwards, can trigger cloud formation.

It might just be coincidence in this particular image, but google lenticular clouds sometime. They can be pretty dramatic.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Got back the MF test rolls from a mail-in lab. The scans are so much better than what I've been getting from my flatbed.

e: Also

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 23, 2011

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

(It's got rocks in it, that qualifies as landscape, right?)