Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Jet Ready Go posted:

Toys! :D

Marvel is really reaching with the new Avengers line up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Personally I want Captain America to drive EVERYWHERE with a snowmobile.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
Anyone have any clue what the mystery packs are that are coming to mattycollector?

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
My money is on LOTS AND LOTS OF JLU parademons and DCUC blue figure stands. And one DCUC Lobo thrown in for a single, random customer to "prove" that it wasn't just crap nobody wanted.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
It is probably just backstock they have sitting around. I don't think it will be anything rare. Probably less popular MOTU and DCU exclusive figures that didn't sell well. I'd bet on the two packs for DCU.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

I'd be all over Marvel Legends if they weren't so loving expensive. I just got into toy collecting again less than a year ago and the prices on all Marvel toys are absolutely ridiculous. The only reason I can even try to get the stuff I want from Marvel Universe is because I can occasionally find it in stores. I know they're reviving Legends at some point in the future, but I still wouldn't be able to find any of the previously released stuff at a decent price if I started collecting that now.

Man, when I started buying Legends, they were $5.88 a piece at Wal-Mart/K-Mart/Whatevermart.

Prices for toys have become ridiculous thanks to oil/plastic prices.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Beanpants posted:

Man, when I started buying Legends, they were $5.88 a piece at Wal-Mart/K-Mart/Whatevermart.

Prices for toys have become ridiculous thanks to oil/plastic prices.

Well the ridiculous prices aren't entirely due to oil. If it was just oil then the jump that Toy Biz did from around 6 dollars to almost 10 towards the end is justifiable. A lot of it is the companies taking advantage of the collector on these lines.

Oil prices have been pretty steady for the most part for quite some time, right around 100 dollars a barrel. There have been little fluctuations mostly down during that time but it has mostly held right around there. Yet, the prices on toys keeps skyrocketing. And lets be honestly, you can't be daft enough to believe it takes even a 1/10th of a barrel of oil to make your silly toy.

When I can walk into a store and buy a Marvel Select Juggernaut which is one of the heaviest figures I have ever held for 17 dollars and then see a Iron Man 2 6' inch for almost the same price I know there is something wrong there.

Granted I don't blame them, Marvel Legends/Universe and DCUC are collector lines. Kids aren't really interested in them, mostly because kids aren't interested in comics. If they are able to subsidize it somewhat and keep them alive by charging a little extra than I guess that is a lesser of two evils but it still is a evil.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Well you can also blame the stores, the MSRP for that Iron Man line is $9.99 but TRU gauges the hell out of them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bushifox posted:

Anyone have any clue what the mystery packs are that are coming to mattycollector?

Well, there's a Ghostbusters one which I'm curious about. Since there's only been about 10 toys so far, and I own about 3, chances are good it'll be stuff I don't own.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Djarum posted:

Granted I don't blame them, Marvel Legends/Universe and DCUC are collector lines. Kids aren't really interested in them, mostly because kids aren't interested in comics. If they are able to subsidize it somewhat and keep them alive by charging a little extra than I guess that is a lesser of two evils but it still is a evil.

That's true. If Hasbro did a MOTU-style Legends Club, I'd probably sign up as long as the figures were truly premium quality. I have trouble plunking down cash for their store Legends (if I ever even see them) thanks to them having cheap rear end plastic, poorly thought out articulation, and terrible paint apps.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Satsuki posted:

Well you can also blame the stores, the MSRP for that Iron Man line is $9.99 but TRU gauges the hell out of them.

Alot of it is actually the retailers. Toys R Us has been trying something out where they want to see what the breaking point is for collectors. All of their prices are much higher than any other store because they want to see if they can get away with it. This is actually an order from corporate. That's why Green Lantern Classics and Iron Man are $18 right now. If people didn't buy them, it would probably go down.

Target's been testing raising prices on toys in wealthy neighborhoods. I live in the Bay Area, and we have a wide range of income classes from super wealthy to destitute. The Target in Sunnyvale charges $18 for the Green Lantern movie toys, whereas the Target in San Antonio charges $14.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Alot of it is actually the retailers. Toys R Us has been trying something out where they want to see what the breaking point is for collectors. All of their prices are much higher than any other store because they want to see if they can get away with it. This is actually an order from corporate. That's why Green Lantern Classics and Iron Man are $18 right now. If people didn't buy them, it would probably go down.

Target's been testing raising prices on toys in wealthy neighborhoods. I live in the Bay Area, and we have a wide range of income classes from super wealthy to destitute. The Target in Sunnyvale charges $18 for the Green Lantern movie toys, whereas the Target in San Antonio charges $14.

I never want to be the employee that has to explain/defend that pricing scheme to a customer.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Action Man posted:

I never want to be the employee that has to explain/defend that pricing scheme to a customer.
It's not uncommon. Ever been to a gas station where it was charging X price, and then right down the street there's another gas station that's the same brand that's charging something different?

Or Blockbuster Video has done that practice for years - when I worked in Scottsdale, AZ, the price for renting a movie was higher than it was in, say, Phoenix, because Scottsdale is the affluent high-income area.

I'm not defending the practice, it's total bullshit. I'm just saying that it happens in other markets, too.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

My guess is that the retailers have wised up to the fact that the secondary market makes a killing just buying up their whole stock and reselling it at much higher prices, and they want to cut out the middle man and make that money themselves. 20 bucks for an action figure seems pretty standard on ebay. It's only shocking because the money goes to Toys R Us instead of a scalper. This might actually discourage the practice of scalping and thus make it easier for collectors to buy stuff in stores.

It's still more than I am willing to pay for the poo poo, though. It always was.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Nerd Of Prey posted:

This might actually discourage the practice of scalping and thus make it easier for collectors to buy stuff in stores.

I think you are grossly underestimating both how much a scalper and how much a rube are willing to pay for tiny plastic men.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bushifox posted:

You can pick 3 types

Ghostbusters, MOTU, and DC Classics, no responce yet if duplicates will be included. I am missing like 20 figures from MOTUC(though thankfully none of the discontinued ones) so I might try buying one Mystery pack to see what I will get.

I would hope for a Tytus since he's the only large figures from MOTUC that I'm missing and then maybe an Evil-Lyn or a Beastman. I really havn't gotten alot of the re-issues until a few months ago(I stopped trying last year due to how quickly they would sell out) so I do have a few gaps I'd like to fill.

Allthough I still don't have an actual He-Man and I was going to try and find the He-Man vs Superman pack but none of the stores around me have it.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

I just bought an awesome loose MOTUC lot from another forum for $200 bucks, which I thought was very fair for what I got:

King Randor
Princess Adora
Prince Adam
Orko
She-Ra
Bow
Man-At-Arms
He-Man
Chief Carnivus
Stratos
Sy-Clone
Roboto
Moss Man (unflocked ears)
Battlecat
Panthor
Hordak
Evil-Lyn
Catra
King Hsss
Mer-Man (Toys R Us two-pack version)

So I'm thinking of picking up one of the MOTUC packs too.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bushifox posted:

I just bought an awesome loose MOTUC lot from another forum for $200 bucks, which I thought was very fair for what I got:

King Randor
Princess Adora
Prince Adam
Orko
She-Ra
Bow
Man-At-Arms
He-Man
Chief Carnivus
Stratos
Sy-Clone
Roboto
Moss Man (unflocked ears)
Battlecat
Panthor
Hordak
Evil-Lyn
Catra
King Hsss
Mer-Man (Toys R Us two-pack version)

So I'm thinking of picking up one of the MOTUC packs too.

All of those at that price was a pretty good deal. Even though Orko and Prince Adam are from the same package(is yours the color changing type? because that was the SDCC exclusive), getting Panthor and Battlecat by themselves would run over 60 bucks.

I have to say though this month's offerings of Battleground Teela(based off of the original Concept Art) and The Faceless One(Evil-Lyn's dad) are both definetly solid figures. The Faceless One's cape and cowl makes the figure look huge and bulky, and the best part is it can fit onto any other figures you have. The BG Teela has new tooling in the joints so it doesn't suffer stability issues the other female figures have. It can also now properly sit on vehicles which is something none of the other female figures can do.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Catra can sit on the vehicles/steeds.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Satsuki posted:

Catra can sit on the vehicles/steeds.

Yes but not all that well, the new BG Teela's joint tooling is ment for the female figures to sit on the vehicles. They're going to re-use the new joint tooling for She-Ra 2.0 so she can sit on Royal Swiftwind which is something the original cannot do. And Original She-Ra/Original Teela/The Goddess/Catra/Evil-Lyn all have the same build.

Howevr She-Ra 2.0 isn't part of the club membership so you have to buy it seperately.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Anybody have a Marvel Universe Guardian they could sell me? Of course I would pay the outrageous shipping to where I am.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Vaerai Archon posted:

Yes but not all that well, the new BG Teela's joint tooling is ment for the female figures to sit on the vehicles. They're going to re-use the new joint tooling for She-Ra 2.0 so she can sit on Royal Swiftwind which is something the original cannot do. And Original She-Ra/Original Teela/The Goddess/Catra/Evil-Lyn all have the same build.

Howevr She-Ra 2.0 isn't part of the club membership so you have to buy it seperately.

Although the original female build is not ideal, the real thing holding most of them back is the hard plastic on the skirt section of their outfit. Some people have made mods to the She-Ra skirt and they can ride Battle Cat/Panthor pretty well.

Also Catra sits just as well as any male figure:

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Ka0 posted:

Anybody have a Marvel Universe Guardian they could sell me? Of course I would pay the outrageous shipping to where I am.

For awhile there were a ton at Walmart so next time I have the chance i'll see if I can pick one up for you that is unless somebody decided to buy up all of them alongside some Mudflaps...

Just email me at lepemont at hotmail to remind me.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Shots of the Hot Toys movie Captain America figure.

For as underwhelmed as I was with the Thor one (it looked awkward to me, especially with his helmet on, which is odd considering their Odin looked good with his helmet on), this one looks really nice, although I can see them making another version down the line with an unhelmeted portrait, especially if the movie does well (although I don't see it reaching the same status in Japan as Iron Man or Nolan's Batman).

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Sanschel posted:

Shots of the Hot Toys movie Captain America figure.

For as underwhelmed as I was with the Thor one (it looked awkward to me, especially with his helmet on, which is odd considering their Odin looked good with his helmet on), this one looks really nice, although I can see them making another version down the line with an unhelmeted portrait, especially if the movie does well (although I don't see it reaching the same status in Japan as Iron Man or Nolan's Batman).

Just found my birthday present to myself. What is the best retailer to buy Hot Toys stuff through? I've never taken the plunge before.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you are in Canada ToySquare is the best. I am hoping to get my Kevin Flynn soon, it just sold out too.

http://www.toys2.net/

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Sideshow Toys is where I've gotten all of mine. They usually put new products up midday Thursday PST, so I assume it'll be up in the next two weeks.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

bbts usually has Hot Toys and usually at like 10% discount. The difference between them and sideshow is sideshow usually gets an exclusive run with a special item along with the general run.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Came across Azbats, Robin, The Creeper and Mercury today if anyone's interested.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

What time do mattycollector put out their new things? Thinking of grabbing a dcuc and motuc tommorow.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Bushifox posted:

What time do mattycollector put out their new things? Thinking of grabbing a dcuc and motuc tommorow.

New things always come out at 9 AM PDT. If there's a hot item on the list, you'll end up refreshing a whole lot but I've never not gotten through within the first 15-20 minutes.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The entire selection of MOTUC/DC/Ghostbusters Mystery Packs sold out within minutes.

I was able to order one MOTUC pack at 12:01, and only 4 minutes later their entire stock was empty.

The maximum ammount you could order at one time was 999 for any of the 3 packs. At 12:15 Ghostbusters sold out and at 12:30 DC sold out.

Now I just hope that I don't get a pack consisting of two sets of stands and a duplicate figure.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 27, 2011

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Ka0 posted:

Ironically, the only place I found that figure was when I was on a trip to the States. Haven't ever seen him north of the border.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I can't think of any MOTUC at this point I would need any more of so that grab bag was a big pass.

If they plan on doing this as an easy way of clearing old stock though, they should have probably front loaded this send out with way awesome stuff so that the internet buzz gets out there then they can gently caress the next batch.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Satsuki posted:

I can't think of any MOTUC at this point I would need any more of so that grab bag was a big pass.

If they plan on doing this as an easy way of clearing old stock though, they should have probably front loaded this send out with way awesome stuff so that the internet buzz gets out there then they can gently caress the next batch.

Why bother? They sold out of all 3 packages in under an hour anyway.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RevKrule posted:

Well all things considered Matty really doesn't have any actual backstock of MOTUC since everything is listed as "Sold out" and "Gone for Good". What they do have is extras ment for Customer Service replacements, which is every single figure ever. I have no idea if they were actually going to use those, because the way they re-issue figures doesn't really have all of a science to it either. I mean Man at Arms has yet to get a re-issue despite being a main character.

Chances are if someone actually bought over 800 packages you'll probably see 800 of a specific figure show up on E-Bay in a few weeks.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

RevKrule posted:

Apparently this has caused the rumor mill on the Matty boards to explode. Everything from "scalpers and BBTS bought 999 packs each" to "Mattel hosed up and just pulled everything". Bitches be angry about these packs.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I guess it happened a few weeks ago but the first wave of Mattel's Batman Legacy line came out.

Wave 1 is Batman, Golden Age Joker, and Mr. Freeze

Batman is the standard Modern Age Bats sculpt (although I believe the head is new); Joker is a mash of the Imperiex wave body and Question's trenchcoat, with a new head; Freeze is a recolor of the DC Superheros figure (which was itself a rerelease from Mattel's 2003 Batman line).

It's pretty ho-hum and not terrifically exciting, which is why I'm surprised by how awesome the just spoiled second wave looks:

Catman, Batgirl, & Batman w/Bat-Mite

Batgirl is a straight-up repaint of the DC Superheroes Batgirl (who has only been available in two packs up til now); the guy has included the first version for comparison shots and the new one looks really nice (admittedly I'm a sucker for glossy over matte finishes). I think the Bat-cycle in the pics is from an older line and not an actual accessory, though I'm not sure.

Batman is largely a repaint of the DCU Wave 1 Batman, but with a new head and chest insignia obviously meant to reference the 60-70s cheesy Adam West-era Batman. Bat-Mite is obviously completely new, though about as articulated as Gleek.

Catman is the obvious standout. Lots of brand new pieces, two handheld claw weapons, and he just looks loving awesome. Deadshot will finally get his morose buddy to hang out with.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Guardians of the Galaxy are getting Marvel Universe figures. Star-lord and Drax come on their own but the absolute surprise and must have here is Rocket Raccoon. Not only is it a loving Rocket Raccoon figure, it comes with a Groot in a pot!

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/story/front/Hasbro_Marvel_Universe_Guardians_Of_The_Galaxy_Revealed_139153.asp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Rage posted:

Apparently this has caused the rumor mill on the Matty boards to explode. Everything from "scalpers and BBTS bought 999 packs each" to "Mattel hosed up and just pulled everything". Bitches be angry about these packs.

Also the packs really arn't all that random.

There's a pre-determined combination of figures that they will use. But there might be several pre-determined combinations per line, so essentialy people will pretty much get the same thing if they ordered multiples of the packs.