Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Is that the Vagina Shadow-Monster-chapter? Because yeah, that's one of the more :wtc: parts of the book. I'm really looking forward to seeing it on the show. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Kainser posted:

Is that the Vagina Shadow-Monster-chapter? Because yeah, that's one of the more :wtc: parts of the book. I'm really looking forward to seeing it on the show. :allears:

Yeah, it also explains why Davos was saying Stannis seemed so thin and frail.

His shadow is doing some Warg styled poo poo while it sucks the essence of out him or something
:stare:

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I was unclear about that too. So the shadow was Stannis? I guess who else could it be but it wasn't obvious to me.

Another question from ACOK, which I just finished. How did the Bloody Mummers end up switching sides at Harrenhal? They did some hosed up poo poo for the Lannisters, captured all Bolton's men, then they just get a free pass and forgiveness? Were they with Bolton the whole time?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Eggnogium posted:

Another question from ACOK, which I just finished. How did the Bloody Mummers end up switching sides at Harrenhal? They did some hosed up poo poo for the Lannisters, captured all Bolton's men, then they just get a free pass and forgiveness? Were they with Bolton the whole time?
The details are a bit unclear, but Roose is a fairly pragmatic fellow and sees that the Bloody Mummers can be useful if they are willing so break their allegiance to Tywin. It's not like Robb himself hired them

e; This is a bit spoilerish for you, so you might not want to mouseover it, but Boltons actions in general will make more sense later in the books

Kainser fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 22, 2011

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Kainser posted:

The details are a bit unclear, but Roose is a fairly pragmatic fellow and sees that the Bloody Mummers can be useful if they are willing so break their allegiance to Tywin. It's not like Robb himself hired them

That was the best explanation I could come up with. Just seems like Bolton's a total dumbass for thinking they won't turn coat the minute Tywin's men return

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Eggnogium posted:

turn coat the minute Tywin's men return
A Lannister pays his debts (or at the very least tries to) :)

e; I don't know if you've read about Castamere and Tarbeck hall yet, but Tywin doesn't take treason and betrayals kindly and probably wouldn't take them back, and chances are that the Mummers are aware of that.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 23, 2011

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just passed the second davos chapter in ACOK

:staredog:

Did what I think just happen, happen?

why don't you try asking with spoiler tags?

----

So I'm nearly finished with AFFC and I have to say, I'm going to be pretty when/if I don't have to read any more Cersei chapters. Her paranoia and insanity is so thick it's driving me crazy. Also, really sad that there aren't any Bran or Tyrion chapters. If I didn't know that the next book was coming so soon, I'd be extremely sad.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

JerkyBunion posted:

Because it was more of a statement than a question.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

JerkyBunion posted:

----

So I'm nearly finished with AFFC and I have to say, I'm going to be pretty when/if I don't have to read any more Cersei chapters. Her paranoia and insanity is so thick it's driving me crazy. Also, really sad that there aren't any Bran or Tyrion chapters. If I didn't know that the next book was coming so soon, I'd be extremely sad.

Cersei ruined the book for me I think. I like the way she was left at the end of it, but god drat were her chapters a loving plod.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm halfway through AFFC myself and every time I see CERSEI at the top of a page I groan. Why couldn't there have been more Sam and Arya chapters :(

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

It doesn't bother me too much in terms of hate. I think the chapters make me feel exactly the way GRRM wanted me to feel. Being inside her head, she's loving crazy. This is the first time I ever considered she's that far round the bend, as opposed to just ruthless.

But it still makes me uncomfortable.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
What? You people are crazy. Cersei chapters are the best chapters. She's just so, so crazy.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

EDIT: SORRY WRONG THREAD

PLEASE REMOVE QUOTE!

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 23, 2011

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

swmmrmanshen posted:

beep boop

May want to spoiler this.

JerkyBunion fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 23, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I'm halfway through AFFC myself and every time I see CERSEI at the top of a page I groan. Why couldn't there have been more Sam and Arya chapters :(

That's me in ACOK everytime I get Catelyn chapters.

edit: got me some bitchin ASOIAF screensavers for my brand new kindle :c00l: and this one just came up.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

drat, I just finished the ASOS chapter where Tywin sets up all the marriages, and I feel loving horrible for the Stark children. Arya was this close to getting back to her mother, and Robb and Sansa are about to both have their hearts ripped through their chest (maybe literally in Robb's case).

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That's me in ACOK everytime I get Catelyn chapters.

edit: got me some bitchin ASOIAF screensavers for my brand new kindle :c00l: and this one just came up.

Who would willingly associate themselves with the Tullys. I mean really now, Trouts and Family?

e; Oh, the thread name got changed. Anyway; Feast spoilers: Did Roose Bolton get past Moat Cailin in Feast, and if so how? Or if he didn't, how the hell is he planning to do it?

Kainser fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 24, 2011

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Kainser posted:

Who would willingly associate themselves with the Tullys. I mean really now, Trouts and Family?

e; Oh, the thread name got changed. Anyway; Feast spoilers: Did Roose Bolton get past Moat Cailin in Feast, and if so how? Or if he didn't, how the hell is he planning to do it?

I don't believe we've gotten any mention of whether or not he made it, but if I were him I'd take a ship.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Kainser posted:

Isn't there a lot of noise made about White Harbour helping him/the Lannisters? Maybe he took a boat?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Kainser posted:

I thought they mentioned the plan would have Roose coming from the South and his bastard coming from the north. Moat Caillin is takeable from the north and the ironmen surely didn't leave much of a garison.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JerkyBunion posted:

----

Any time you see someone ragging on The Bad Thread or WILDCARDS for being so unreasonable do remember that AFFC is all we've had for the last six years, and that we were promised ADwD five years ago.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I have some questions from ACOK:

Is Jaquen a bravossi? He speaks the same way as Syrio. His usage of "Just So" also raised some red flags with me. Or at least maybe Syrio knew him and/or was a secret faceless one or something?

Is what Danny saw with the undying ones, was that all examples of things to come? Is the wolf king robb/ned? I know that the man with the flaming sword and no shadow is Stannis (it has to be) but I couldn't figure out what the other ones were.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

:mad: Jaqen is from the braavos area so thats why he talks similarly, regional

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 24, 2011

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Scoobi posted:

Wrong thread brah

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I have some questions from ACOK:

Is Jaquen a bravossi? He speaks the same way as Syrio. His usage of "Just So" also raised some red flags with me. Or at least maybe Syrio knew him and/or was a secret faceless one or something?

Yeah, he's Bravossi, as has been said. There's also a fan-theory that the Faceless Men can magically change their faces despite there being no evidence of this, and that Syrio took on the role of Jaquen to watch over Arya. It's retarded, and even though the "Syrio may still be alive" crowd may still be right, there's no evidence to support Syrio = Jaquen and said theory actually raises more questions than it answers.

quote:

Is what Danny saw with the undying ones, was that all examples of things to come? Is the wolf king robb/ned? I know that the man with the flaming sword and no shadow is Stannis (it has to be) but I couldn't figure out what the other ones were.

There's a lot of foreshadowing and references to the past in that scene, including stuff we haven't even seen yet in the series (so I believe).

Read ASoS, it'll clear some of that right up for you and is the best book in the series anyway (My opinion goes ASoS; ACoK; AGoT; AFFC in terms of quality).

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

As far as the wolf king, that one turns out to be pretty literal.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

There's also a fan-theory that the Faceless Men can magically change their faces despite there being no evidence of this

Why is there no evidence of this? Isn't that exactly what Jaquen did right before he left

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Eggnogium posted:

Why is there no evidence of this? Isn't that exactly what Jaquen did right before he left

Yeah he waved his hand in front of his face and all his facial features and hair changed

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ah, my mistake. It has been about a year since I read ACoK. Either way the fan-theory remains stupid, on the basis that it would raise way more questions than it would answer, and even if "he's a faceless man" could handwave away every question the way "A wizard did it" does, it'd still be a retarded addition exclusively for fans who can't let a minor character go in a series well-known for killing off fan-favorites.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Syrio will come back to save arya only to die immediately afterwards and answer nothing.:comeback:

edit: not sure if I should spoil that but just in case.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Honestly if Syrio comes back period I'll be really pissed off, if only because I never saw him more than a one-note character and I've grown really crotchety and distrusting of any character that gets promoted solely on the back of fanwankery--Hal Jordan comes to mind--especially in a goddamn series known for removing beloved characters for good.

Although... certain fan-favorites seem to have narrative immortality, so I guess that reputation died out with More Deaths Ned

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ Going to prevent a long derail: Hal Jordan died, was dead for about a decade, and was brought back on the whim of Geoff Johns who did it solely because Hal Jordan was "his" Green Lantern. Fan-wankery of the highest order, and for the record I really don't give a poo poo that Rebirth was a solidly penned story, it's the idea that sucks and the idea I refuse to support. Syrio coming back isn't exactly the same, but it'd revoke the same kind of "why are you doing this" reaction.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 25, 2011

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

Hal Jordan comes to mind

Wait, what? The two characters have nothing at all in common. Comic book characters, especially major ones, never stay dead forever.

EDIT: You are talking about Green Lantern, right?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

mind the walrus posted:

Although... certain fan-favorites seem to have narrative immortality, so I guess that reputation died out with More Deaths Ned
Yeah, I honestly think that GRRMS reputation here is a bit unearned. In four books there have only been one POV character who died. People are just being pussies :colbert:

(And so is GRRM, kill more characters man.)

mind the walrus posted:

Read ASoS, it'll clear some of that right up for you and is the best book in the series anyway (My opinion goes ASoS; ACoK; AGoT; AFFC in terms of quality).
Book rankings eh? For me it would go AFFC>ACoK=ASoS>AGoT. I'm weird :saddowns:

e; I like them all though!

Kainser fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 25, 2011

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Kainser posted:

Yeah, I honestly think that GRRMS reputation here is a bit unearned. In four books there have only been one POV character who died. People are just being pussies :colbert:

(And so is GRRM, kill more characters man.)

Book rankings eh? For me it would go AFFC>ACoK=ASoS>AGoT. I'm weird :saddowns:

e; I like them all though!

Ned and Catelyn, that's at least two.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

ASOS is my favorite. But the whole Red Wedding was a bigger wtf oh god moment for me than Ned's death

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

Ned and Catelyn, that's at least two.
That doesn't really count, seeing as she comes back!

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

mind the walrus posted:

Honestly if Syrio comes back period I'll be really pissed off, if only because I never saw him more than a one-note character and I've grown really crotchety and distrusting of any character that gets promoted solely on the back of fanwankery--Hal Jordan comes to mind--especially in a goddamn series known for removing beloved characters for good.

I won't go into all my reasons* for thinking Syrio is still alive. All I'll repeat this time is that I think that everyone who absolutely hates the idea just needs to give Martin a bit more benefit of the doubt. Yes, it sounds dumb in your heads now. It sounds dumb in my head too... But so would most of the events in the books if you all you did was briefly summarize them. It's not inconceivable that Martin would tie things together such that it didn't seem contrived, stupid, or fan-wankery.

* Here my reasons from the old spoiler thread. Obviously, there are spoilers in this link.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DirtyRobot posted:

All I'll repeat this time is that I think that everyone who absolutely hates the idea just needs to give Martin a bit more benefit of the doubt.

Martin has done an excellent job squandering the benefit of the doubt by writing himself into several potentially ruinous corners with the main plots, let alone the ancillary fan-favorite plot.

Your point is valid and I can't disagree with it simply because "I don't like it" so I won't, but I have a hard time believing that anything good can even come out of the remainder of the series based on AFFC and the trend downwards Martin's once tight plotting has become.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

mind the walrus posted:

Martin has done an excellent job squandering the benefit of the doubt by writing himself into several potentially ruinous corners with the main plots, let alone the ancillary fan-favorite plot.

Your point is valid and I can't disagree with it simply because "I don't like it" so I won't, but I have a hard time believing that anything good can even come out of the remainder of the series based on AFFC and the trend downwards Martin's once tight plotting has become.

I mostly agree with you. I think AFFC sucked, and I think ADWD will suck for precisely the same reasons. Martin wrote himself into a hole by getting rid of the 5-year gap, and he won't be "out of the hole" until after ADWD. So AFFC and ADWD will basically just serve as very boring set up for the latter half of the series, which will then hopefully finally start to bring some kind of payoff.

So I'm cautiously optimistic that things will pick up again after ADWD, even though Martin will have to accommodate whatever changes he's had to make because he actually decided to narrate the events of those five years, and in the process he compressed those five years into only one or two years or whatever. So, for example, the ages of the dragons and children will still be relatively young... Martin had planned for them to all be five years older, which is one of the reasons (aside from the creepiness factor) that the show aged up many of the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Kainser posted:

That doesn't really count, seeing as she comes back!

I can't believe I actually forgot about Zombie Cat. Alright then, four prologue characters plus ned equals five :colbert:

• Locked thread