Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
How many of you out there use wake on LAN a lot with your NAS devices, and to what success?

I am thinking of trying to turn it on for my future FreeNAS build, as my NAS will mostly be for media storage, and thus doesn't need to be spinning at 100% all of the time. However, I am curious if booting/using my own main PC or my girlfriend's Mac that both have mapped network shares to it will constantly wake it up, even if we are currently not accessing those shares? Or will the NAS be smart enough to only wake when we actually access it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Somebody mentioned this in the Mac Hardware thread so I come in here to ask... Do 3TB drives have any reliability issues?

To recap what I was thinking of doing, I have a MacPro with 4 bays, I have...
-500GB Boot Drive
-1TB Second Drive
-1.5TB Time Machine drive to back it all up.

Well the 1TB drive seems to be failing and it's time to replace it. Now I'm thinking, get a new 2TB drive and use it to Time Machine the 500GB and 1.5TB Drive? Or spend a little more on a 3TB drive, knowing that I have limited storage capacity in the machine and that it's not that much more money.

And since this new drive will always be used as a Time Machine drive no matter what happens in the future, is it smart to go with a cheaper 5400 RPM drive or will I see a performance boost with a 7200 RPM drive? Every drive in my machine right now is 7200RPMs. While I'd like to save money, I'd also rather spend the money if means my computer does less hanging while it does its thing regularly in the background.

So yeah, my plan right now is
-Clone the Time machine drive to a new drive (2TB or 3TB, 7200RPM or 5400RPM)
-Restore my 1TB drive to the 1.5TB drive

Is there something I'm missing in this situation that this would be a bad idea? Like do Macs have issues using 3TB drives in general, or issues with 3TB drives w/ Time Machine? I'm perfectly fine using Time Machine as a backup solution, I know some of you guys here take this stuff a bit more seriously and would laugh at me for using it.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 30, 2011

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Somebody mentioned this in the Mac Hardware thread so I come in here to ask... Do 3TB drives have any reliability issues?

They are newer than smaller drives using newer technology and are inherently more delicate and susceptible to failure and damage. But why would you buy a 3TB drive when you can get two 2TB drives for less money? Check back a few pages for the newegg memorial day sale codes

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

wanderlost posted:

They are newer than smaller drives using newer technology and are inherently more delicate and susceptible to failure and damage. But why would you buy a 3TB drive when you can get two 2TB drives for less money? Check back a few pages for the newegg memorial day sale codes

Because I'll probably eventually put a 4th drive in the machine, and it would be most costly to upgrade an existing drive rather than future proof it by getting bigger now. Of course considering that another drive doesn't fail... my current drive lasted 3 1/2 years before failure.

Edit: To clarify I'm thinking
-Get 2TB now, 2TB backs up the 1.5TB and .5TB drive, anything put into the 4th bay later won't be covered with a backup unless I upgrade and swap out a smaller drive for a larger one. The plus side is that I save a ton of money today and have a more reliable drive I suppose.
-Get 3TB now, 3TB backs up the 1.5TB and .5TB drive, plus an additional 1TB Drive I add a later date. Spend more now, have a less reliable drive, but have room to expand later by adding a 1TB drive back into it.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 30, 2011

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Jonny 290 posted:

I run a PC shop and we are ceasing sales of all Synology devices, effective immediately. We are seeing unrecoverable array crashes on multiple devices, clean out of the box. Our customers are down and we're losing tons of revenue and goodwill because our customers think we're too dumb to deploy a NAS. 5 out of the last 5 devices I have built have all experienced array failures WITHOUT any hard drive SMART errors less than three months out of the box. Two of them couldn't even build the array first time around.

Jonny 290 posted:

More synology dirt:

A couple of the 410's literally turned into drive killers, and toasted 3 brand new replacement drives within 48 hours (and they failed SMART with pending sectors and uncorrectable errors after being installed in the device). The other devices just drop the raid array without any detectable SMART errors.

The thing about the raid is true (though you need to flip the endian-ness of the array), and it is the one saving grace of why I have put up with these flaky fuckers for so long - at least I can easily pull their data off with my trusty debian box.

Welp, there it is, there was the "anecdotal evidence" sitting right in front of me that I choose to ignore. I shouldn't have though, I woke up at 4:00am this morning with emails about a failed RAID. I purchased this thing on April 20th with four 2TB Samsung F4's to go with it. About a week ago it started randomly beeping for a few seconds every few hours. All hard drives passed S.M.A.R.T. tests yet for some reason this flakey piece of poo poo was still randomly beeping. As the week progressed, the beeps got longer and longer. Finally, today at 4:00am, this loving garbage device has killed a hard drive leaving my RAID5 in a degraded state.

For anyone else considering buying these Synology boxes, beware.

Edit: I have the DS411j

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 31, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

caberham posted:

Can someone please point to any tools or resources to check whether dynamic dns is working or not?

I registered for a free dns hosting service and then tried running the synology DDNS service. Everything seem to be working and my friends can connect to my server but after a while there's an error and no one can connect from the outside.

Even the port forwarding EZ internet is not working and if I try manually opening the ports through the router port forwarding rules, I get a "fail" when I test the connection through the synology service.

Check your external IP from the router, and then use nslookup to see what your dynamic name is pointing to. If the name points to an old address, then it's not working right.

kill your idols
Sep 11, 2003

by T. Finninho
I really was going to pull the trigger on the HP microserver, but I didn't want to be strapped to the 5/6 drive max in the future, so I went with the same chip setup with 8GB of DDR3. Here some benchmarks in a 4x SAMSUNG HD204UI RaidZ under Solaris Express 11 installed on an WD Scorpio Blue and an PCI-e Intel nic:

code:
write 10.24 GB via dd, please wait...
time dd if=/dev/zero of=/storage/dd.tst bs=1024000 count=10000

10000+0 records in
10000+0 records out

real       34.3
user        0.1
sys        16.7

10.24 GB in 34.3s = 298.54 MB/s Write

read 10.24 GB via dd, please wait...
time dd if=/storage/dd.tst of=/dev/null bs=1024000

10000+0 records in
10000+0 records out

real       27.1
user        0.1
sys        12.3

10.24 GB in 27.1s = 377.86 MB/s Read

From Win28kR2 with same model of Intel nic; bounces around to lowest of 86MB/s.

Not bad for a "low" power system. I need to order some kind of watt meter and see what it pulls under idle and load.

Heres a link to the board from my local MicroCenter: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0361847

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

I'm looking to upgrade my current server as I have outgrown it. At the moment I have a 3ware 9650SE with four 1TB disks but was thinking I might get the same kind of performance if I were to just double the disks and use software raid. The advantage being I could get more storage and enough performance to saturate a 1gbps NIC without having to pay for a new raid card, along with being able to migrate the raid to another same-OS box if need be. The extra CPU utilization won't be a problem and I'll have plenty of memory, are there any flaws in my plan that I can't think of?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Astro7x posted:

To clarify I'm thinking
-Get 2TB now, 2TB backs up the 1.5TB and .5TB drive, anything put into the 4th bay later won't be covered with a backup unless I upgrade and swap out a smaller drive for a larger one. The plus side is that I save a ton of money today and have a more reliable drive I suppose.
-Get 3TB now, 3TB backs up the 1.5TB and .5TB drive, plus an additional 1TB Drive I add a later date. Spend more now, have a less reliable drive, but have room to expand later by adding a 1TB drive back into it.

Well I decided to go with Option 2 once I found out that my Seagate drive was covered under a 5 year warranty and they are going to replace it! Wahoo!

I was already pushing the limits of my current set up, so having an additional 1.5TB that is auto archived is nice. I was completely satisfied with the way that Time Machine backed up my failed drive, I don't see any reason to stop using it as a backup solution.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

IT Guy posted:

Welp, there it is, there was the "anecdotal evidence" sitting right in front of me that I choose to ignore. I shouldn't have though, I woke up at 4:00am this morning with emails about a failed RAID. I purchased this thing on April 20th with four 2TB Samsung F4's to go with it. About a week ago it started randomly beeping for a few seconds every few hours. All hard drives passed S.M.A.R.T. tests yet for some reason this flakey piece of poo poo was still randomly beeping. As the week progressed, the beeps got longer and longer. Finally, today at 4:00am, this loving garbage device has killed a hard drive leaving my RAID5 in a degraded state.

For anyone else considering buying these Synology boxes, beware.

Edit: I have the DS411j

Happen to have a DMM chilling around anywhere? I would really love to know if it was the power supply that maybe failed or something internal to the box.

Another thing to consider is the thing was beeping for other reasons like a failed fan and it cooked itself to death.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is Drive Bender the way to go if I want to make multiple drives appear as one in Windows without using RAID? It seems like the only option that won't lose data from all the disks if one disk fails.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

Splinter posted:

Is Drive Bender the way to go if I want to make multiple drives appear as one in Windows without using RAID? It seems like the only option that won't lose data from all the disks if one disk fails.

FlexRAID is another alternative, but it can be a pain in the arse to configure properly and it's in perpetual beta status. Also I'm not sure if the FlexRAID View stuff, which is the component used to do drive merging, is in the latest (i.e. best) 2.0 release. The advantage of FlexRAID is that even in RAID4 mode, if you lose multiple disks you can still recover some of your data instead of losing it all.

Currently I use FlexRAID 2.0 for its resilience, and Drive Bender for the drive pooling. Probably not the best way of doing it, but it works very nicely.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
I'm having some trouble getting some equipment to work. I've got a Dell H700i SAS Controller running the latest firmware and a Dell branded Seagate Cheetah 15k.5. I can't get the drive to spin up or the H700 to detect it at boot. I'm using a SFF-8087 to 4-Pin SATA connector with an interposer to convert the SAS connector to SATA connectors. The drive powers up when the computer is turned on as evidenced by the green power LED on it. The drive works fine if I shove it in a 1950 with a PERC5. I should also probably mention that the controller refuses to detect normal SATA drives as well even though the latest firmware removes the dell branding restriction. What am I doing wrong?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

For some reason, to get my zpool's contents to show I have to export and import the pool at each boot. If I don't, it shows an empty directory where it's otherwise mounted.

What have I done wrong?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Nam Taf posted:

For some reason, to get my zpool's contents to show I have to export and import the pool at each boot. If I don't, it shows an empty directory where it's otherwise mounted.

What have I done wrong?

OS and zpool version? I had an issue like that using zfs-fuse on Linux, where the userspace ZFS daemon was getting terminated before it finished unmounting the pool. Also happened if the computer lost power before I got an UPS or had a reboot-worthy crash.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

OS and zpool version?

I'm retarded. FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE and zpool version 15 which is what 8.2-RELEASE supports.

This is a pool that I first made on 7.0-RELEASE and have imported and upgraded along the way, but this is the first time I've had a problem like this.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

dietcokefiend posted:

Happen to have a DMM chilling around anywhere? I would really love to know if it was the power supply that maybe failed or something internal to the box.

Another thing to consider is the thing was beeping for other reasons like a failed fan and it cooked itself to death.

Yeah, I'm curious as well.

I no longer work in PC repair, Got A Real Job etc etc, but I was given a cs407e a bit before I left. It's dog slow and has had a raid failure in the past month. This is not one of the drive-killer ones, I think that actually the customer dropped it, as there is a crack that wasn't there when I sold it to them. The drives have all been replaced since, with reman drives. We'll see how it goes now that I KNOW it's on a proper UPS, and I used the UPS network isolator jacks for the synology, so it's totally protected (within reason) from power fluctuations, which is my sneaking suspicion as to a root cause for all this poo poo.

My current 'backup' solution is: everything in the library lives on raid1'd drives on the big ugly home server. then my synology does a daily rsync of about a fourth of that (media/docs/photos) as well as receives backups from my wife's macbook and my desktop and laptop. Its drives are in raid1 as well. Then I have a 36gb DAT drive that I back up just the docs/photos to on Sundays, in a five-tape rotation. It works well and all 3 layers have helped me at one point or another.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 12, 2011

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I want to get a NAS RAID box built by someone at a local computer shop. What should I ask for? I would like at least 10TB of storage with future expandability, but other than that, I'm not sure what requirements to lay down. As an example, if I asked one of you guys to build me something, what would you recommend?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That's like, the worst of both worlds. You're going to pay a marked-up price for Newegg parts, but you're going to have to deal with ~those guys~ if it ever takes a poo poo. Either build your own off Newegg, or buy a prebuilt NAS.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Nam Taf posted:

I'm retarded. FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE and zpool version 15 which is what 8.2-RELEASE supports.

This is a pool that I first made on 7.0-RELEASE and have imported and upgraded along the way, but this is the first time I've had a problem like this.

K, I'll be honest, I'm just Googling "freebsd zfs have to export and import pool every boot" here, but it comes up with some common-sense things to check. For example, making sure that /etc/rc.conf and /boot/loader.conf have the lines to load ZFS properly. The rc.conf line seems the most important; it needs the line zfs_enable="YES" somewhere.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

K, I'll be honest, I'm just Googling "freebsd zfs have to export and import pool every boot" here, but it comes up with some common-sense things to check. For example, making sure that /etc/rc.conf and /boot/loader.conf have the lines to load ZFS properly. The rc.conf line seems the most important; it needs the line zfs_enable="YES" somewhere.

I can't believe I didn't get that result in my searching and I can't believe I missed putting that line in rc.conf when I was configuring samba. I feel really retarded :( Thanks dude! :h:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I am forgoing my idea of just defaulting to my Win2008r2 that I know so well (through usage at work), and am going to branch out to try a unix/BSD/whatever nas OS on my new Proliant that has a spare internal USB port to boot from.

What is the best of those to choose from? FreeNAS? My main thing besides general NAS stability is that I want Wake-On-LAN service to work well, as I'd like to save power by having this thing go to sleep a lot when not in use.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
FreeNAS is probably an excellent place to start, though you won't necessarily learn a lot from it. It comes preconfigured for NAS work, whereas everything else will require a good amount of configuration to have it do what you want it to.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Can anyone recommend some RAID cards? We used 9690SA-4i for ages and had no problems at all, but now they're EOL and we have had nothing but problems with the current LSI offerings. We need 4 ports with cache.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

NM

frunksock fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 2, 2011

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Can someone point me in the right direction as to what NAS I should buy?

I'm looking for something that will be used to stream content to my network attached TV. DLNA/UPnP is a must, along with mac compatibility (specifically, HFS+) along with USB ports for added expansion. If possible, I'd like to spend less than $200. Any ideas?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Corbet posted:

Can someone point me in the right direction as to what NAS I should buy?

I'm looking for something that will be used to stream content to my network attached TV. DLNA/UPnP is a must, along with mac compatibility (specifically, HFS+) along with USB ports for added expansion. If possible, I'd like to spend less than $200. Any ideas?

DNS-323 might work if you need an appliance, though your HFS+ is an odd request. It uses ext2, or ext3, but you can connect via SMB to the shares through a mac, so if that's what you're worried about, it works. I use mine mainly to stream movies via upnp av to my ps3.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Civil posted:

DNS-323 might work if you need an appliance, though your HFS+ is an odd request. It uses ext2, or ext3, but you can connect via SMB to the shares through a mac, so if that's what you're worried about, it works. I use mine mainly to stream movies via upnp av to my ps3.

SMB will work, and yes, mac compatibility is what I'm looking for.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Anyone have a recommendation for a DLNA server for Windows?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a DLNA server for Windows?

Serviio

http://www.serviio.org/

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Sizzlechest posted:

Serviio

http://www.serviio.org/

Hm. Anything that doesn't require Java? I do not want something with that kind of security reputation coming near my server if I can help it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm looking to move in with a friend next year and put our efforts into making a nice home network based around a shed ton of storage.

We were thinking about grabbing the 24 bay Norco equivalent they sell here, sticking unRAID on it and filling the drive bays with 2-3tb drives over time. My main use is HTPC and syncing up the libraries so each machine in the house will see everything all the time, as well as time machine backups of our Macs and general network storage.

Given the cost, expandability and some element of redundancy... Is there any reason no go down this path? I don't see unRAID being talked about much in here, but hoping its simply due to a lot of people here wanting high performance and more redundancy than it offers.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Anyone care to share their thoughts about when it's a good idea to switch from RAID-5 to RAID-6?

I have a RAID5 array that I just expanded on to the fifth disk and I'm starting to think that maybe I should switch over to RAID6...

edit: This is an mdadm array containing data that can be reconstructed, but it would take a lot of time.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 22, 2011

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet
If you have SATA drives with data you care about RAID6 is a good thing. unless you do timely backups that i assume the majority of people can't afford.

the 6 arrays can save a lot of grief. of course this all depends on how roboust the raid implementation is if its software.

windows server admins complain to me all the time about hosed arrays that got hosed because of the software. SAN guys always get the blame :qq: (wrong smileu ftw)

Edit: Save data you cannot backup to external storage or cry.

conntrack fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 22, 2011

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Another question...anyone tried any good cases with lots of hard drive bays recently?

I'm to the point that I've filled all my bays and have to start pulling out smaller drives and replacing them with 2TB drives.

I've currently got 16 disks so I'm looking for something that can hold that much + more. Physical size isn't a big concern, but the cheaper, the better...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thermopyle posted:

I've currently got 16 disks so I'm looking for something that can hold that much + more. Physical size isn't a big concern, but the cheaper, the better...

Are you looking for rack mount? If not you will probably be in for some modification on a a huge case. How many drives would you like to be able to expand to? And out of curiosity, what are you currently using now for 16 disks?

24 drive rack mount
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219038

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Moey posted:

Are you looking for rack mount? If not you will probably be in for some modification on a a huge case. How many drives would you like to be able to expand to? And out of curiosity, what are you currently using now for 16 disks?

24 drive rack mount
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219038

Yeah, I knew about the Norco rack mount cases. I don't really have a need for rack-mount though.

Currently I've got everything in this Chieftec case along with a thingamajig to convert 3 of the 5.25" bays into five 3.5" bays. It's an awesome case...especially for the $100 I paid for it.

I basically just want a case that I can fit a lot of drives in. I don't have a set number in mind really...maybe at least 20? Just the more bays I can get for the dollar, the better.

I'll have to put some thought into ways to mod this case to hold more drives. There's room...

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I knew about the Norco rack mount cases. I don't really have a need for rack-mount though.

Currently I've got everything in this Chieftec case along with a thingamajig to convert 3 of the 5.25" bays into five 3.5" bays. It's an awesome case...especially for the $100 I paid for it.

I basically just want a case that I can fit a lot of drives in. I don't have a set number in mind really...maybe at least 20? Just the more bays I can get for the dollar, the better.

I'll have to put some thought into ways to mod this case to hold more drives. There's room...

http://nexgadget.com/2010/10/21/70-terabyte-homemade-computer-can-hold-24-million-songs-diy/ ???

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I remember seeing that a while back. Here is somewhat of a more polished version.

http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/

I honestly don't think you are going to get much bigger that what you have without using some type of expansion bays, going something rackmount or custom building. Who knows though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm pretty handy. I'll think about modding my case or building something from scratch...