Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jey
Oct 26, 2004

In Which our Hero Posts on the Internet
Has anyone rooted a Motorola Charm? Mine is incredibly slow and buggy. I've never rooted a phone, and I'm afraid it will become "bricked".

I've been reading this thread here, but it doesn't help as I don't understand much of the jargon and code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

deong posted:

What issues were you having even? I've been on CM7 since getting the phone and rarely have issues. I'll have small problems on random nightlies, but the only thing I see is battery drain. If I stick with a stable release, things are fine.

Back when I was using it 7.0.1 had a few annoying bugs and was significantly slower then the release, 7.0.2 didn't help anything either so I ended up flashing back to stock sense.

I'm curious if it's gotten more stable since release.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Gyshall posted:

drat, CM7 nightlies on Droid X aren't half bad. I can't even tell going from OG CM7 droid => Droid X, aside from the pain in the rear end of rooting/recovery.

They just need to get the camera working already :argh:

Until then I'm going to be happy with Liberty though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any way to get Liberty to... not look yellow and black? I like the look of stock gingerbread.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Any way to get Liberty to... not look yellow and black? I like the look of stock gingerbread.

Depending on your version and preferences, there are several themes available on the forums. Some of them are specifically made to look like stock.

I too hate the yellow and black.

http://www.droidforums.net under Droid X Roms there is an official Liberty forum.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

They just need to get the camera working already :argh:

Until then I'm going to be happy with Liberty though.

There's a camera (but not camcorder) fix available. I don't think that one will be included in the cm4dx nighlies since it uses Motorola files but I believe there's a flashable update.zip floating around.

Edit: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/cyanogenmod/30109-workaround-fix-camera-cm4dx-5.html#post350342

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Ashex posted:

Back when I was using it 7.0.1 had a few annoying bugs and was significantly slower then the release, 7.0.2 didn't help anything either so I ended up flashing back to stock sense.

I haven't ever experienced any problems like this with my desire z since CM7 nightly 1. What rom are you using now? I'd like to compare the two.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Ashex posted:

I've only used CM7. I was on CM6 with my Hero before I got the G2, so as soon as I got the new phone I flashed right away. So I can't compare speeds. But I've not had any issues that would warrant trying a new ROM even.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

CM7 NB #54 stuff
To update just a bit, battery is definitely at least a little better, if not a lot. I didn't hit 30% until about 5 PM, which would be around 10 hours, which is definitely better than before. That's with wifi running most of the day and listening to music from the SD. I will add that Wifi Calling doesn't seem to want to auto-start when wifi is connected, however, which is annoying, but not really a big deal.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
There's a 2.1 update for DAS BAMF Gingrebread Remix for HTC Thunderbolt now. Installed it since the 2.0 beta 6 had some battery life shortcomings. So far so good, We will see tomorrow.

e: This one. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1095280

Brother Michael
Jul 4, 2005
++Pirate Captain++
I'm sorry if this is a real beginner question, but I am struggling to find an answer to this.

Let's say I have an HTC Droid Incredible from Verizon (as that seems to be one of the best phones to work with). Ok, what is stopping me from downloading the Android OS from android.com and installing that over top of the Stock OS? Is the Android OS even available on the Android website, or just the tools to make applications? If the OS is not available, where do the Dev's at XDA get the code to make their Custom ROMS?

Really new to all of this and googling hasn't yielded high results (not really sure what to google besides the questions).

Im programming stupid, so I don't really intend on trying to create a rom, I'm just very curious.

EDIT: Ok, found the source code and some more information at source.android.com previously, I was only able to find developer.android.com

I take it the HTC Incredible's drivers are not included in the the original Android code?

Brother Michael fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 22, 2011

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Brother Michael posted:

I'm sorry if this is a real beginner question, but I am struggling to find an answer to this.

Let's say I have an HTC Droid Incredible from Verizon (as that seems to be one of the best phones to work with). Ok, what is stopping me from downloading the Android OS from android.com and installing that over top of the Stock OS? Is the Android OS even available on the Android website, or just the tools to make applications? If the OS is not available, where do the Dev's at XDA get the code to make their Custom ROMS?

Really new to all of this and googling hasn't yielded high results (not really sure what to google besides the questions).

Im programming stupid, so I don't really intend on trying to create a rom, I'm just very curious.

EDIT: Ok, found the source code and some more information at source.android.com previously, I was only able to find developer.android.com

I take it the HTC Incredible's drivers are not included in the the original Android code?

Once you're rooted, nothing can stop you from installing anything you like. You can't just download Android from Google, but since the source code is freely available, plenty of people have compiled it, with various changes, for the Incredible. You wouldn't really be installing it "on top of" the stock OS (which is really HTC's proprietary Sense UI on top of Android), but rather replacing it entirely. Not sure exactly which drivers are open source and which aren't, but the camera is usually one of the bigger issues facing developers who make custom ROMs for Android devices, so you can count on that at least being closed source.

Brother Michael
Jul 4, 2005
++Pirate Captain++

Penguissimo posted:

Once you're rooted, nothing can stop you from installing anything you like. You can't just download Android from Google, but since the source code is freely available, plenty of people have compiled it, with various changes, for the Incredible. You wouldn't really be installing it "on top of" the stock OS (which is really HTC's proprietary Sense UI on top of Android), but rather replacing it entirely. Not sure exactly which drivers are open source and which aren't, but the camera is usually one of the bigger issues facing developers who make custom ROMs for Android devices, so you can count on that at least being closed source.

Ahh so you download the source code and compile it, with changes made to your liking and then install it over the old stock rom (I meant replace when I typed "on top of").

I got on this whole thing when looking at the Nexus S (being a pure Android experience).

I was also thinking about the security of Custom Roms available from places like XDA. I thought, "Self, what is stopping from someone from adding a keyboard on these ROMS that is also a key logger, besides just trust?" Now, given that all of this is in the realm of open source I suppose someone thinking like me could open the code and look inside, but then again the Trojans never did that with their horse.

I don't mean to start a whole debate here about the security of a custom rom, it was just something that I thought about. I suppose it has about as much chance of having a key logger, for example, than a custom distro of Linux. The main difference is of course that Android is used far more than say Lunar Linux (just off the top of my head).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Brother Michael posted:

Ok, what is stopping me from downloading the Android OS from android.com and installing that over top of the Stock OS?
To my knowledge, the only binary distributions of Android available at android.com is the emulator image shipped with the Android SDK. Which won't boot on any actual phone.

Brother Michael posted:

Is the Android OS even available on the Android website, or just the tools to make applications? If the OS is not available, where do the Dev's at XDA get the code to make their Custom ROMS?
source.android.com is the AOSP site, and mostly contains documentation for manufactuters to build/port Android to new devices. The Android source code released by AOSP resides in a bunch of git repositories on android.git.kernel.org.

Among those repositories is the general Android platfrom code, plus, in theory, any device specific portions. In practice, from AOSP sources I think you can only build images for Google-branded devices, e.g., the old ADP development phones, Nexus One, and Nexus S.

Manufacturers are obligated to release source code for the GPL-licensed components of Android, most notably the kernel. Most of them do so as a tarball source drop that's available somewhere on their respective websites. Unfortunately these often don't contain Android platform customizations, which they're not obligated to release, and any proprietary kernel modules.

As for custom ROMs, there's two different kinds. Some (most?) are based on the binary components released with stock ROM images, with some components (e.g., kernel) replaced with those built from the sources the manufacturer does release, and other (proprietary) components patched using disassembly tools like smali (Dalvik assembler & disassembler) and apktool (for modifying package assets).

The other kind of custom ROM is source based, built from modified AOSP sources. CyanogenMod is the most popular source-based ROM. Basically it's a community-enhanced version of AOSP with proper support for a boatload of devices. The device-specific code come from the sources manufacturers do release and a good deal of reverse engineering--some of which is easy on HTC devices that are similar to the ADP or Nexus One, and some of which is loving hard/impossible like CDMA Galaxy S devices.

In short, if you own a Google-branded device, you should be able to build a ROM for it using AOSP sources and much hair pulling, possibly pulling a binary driver or two out of the stock ROM image--I'm not sure of the specifics there. For many devices, CyanogenMod sources are a good starting point for building a custom ROM from scratch. If you have a CDMA Galaxy S device, you can build a custom kernel and the rest of the ROM comes from dissecting and rebuilding the stock ROM image. If you have a Motorola device with a signed bootloader, you're pretty much limited to file pushing.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 22, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Brother Michael posted:

I was also thinking about the security of Custom Roms available from places like XDA. I thought, "Self, what is stopping from someone from adding a keyboard on these ROMS that is also a key logger, besides just trust?"
Nothing really. Thing is, xda development doesn't pay when it comes to malware. The audience of folks installing custom ROMs is rather small, especially for a given device, as compared to folks who install stuff willy-nilly from the market. Most xda developers aren't totally fly-by-night either, they tend to have a history of community involvement or at least forum posts that suggest they're interested in folks having functional devices. Also, small patches are relatively easy to vet, although you could slip malware into a custom ROM and it would go unnoticed for a little while.

But why bother when you can bullshit clone a game, slap on a copy of rage, and upload 30 copies to the Market which go unnoticed for months, and work practically on every device? I'm still trying to figure out what this guy is up to.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Brother Michael posted:

Ahh so you download the source code and compile it, with changes made to your liking and then install it over the old stock rom (I meant replace when I typed "on top of").

I got on this whole thing when looking at the Nexus S (being a pure Android experience).

I was also thinking about the security of Custom Roms available from places like XDA. I thought, "Self, what is stopping from someone from adding a keyboard on these ROMS that is also a key logger, besides just trust?" Now, given that all of this is in the realm of open source I suppose someone thinking like me could open the code and look inside, but then again the Trojans never did that with their horse.

I don't mean to start a whole debate here about the security of a custom rom, it was just something that I thought about. I suppose it has about as much chance of having a key logger, for example, than a custom distro of Linux. The main difference is of course that Android is used far more than say Lunar Linux (just off the top of my head).

Blarg covered everything wonderfully, but I'd just like to add that it wouldn't even require a ROM to install a keylogger keyboard—in theory, any keyboard from the Market could be a keylogger. You're even warned about this when enabling a new keyboard, even on a bone stock device.

That being said, as long as you stick to trusted, well-known keyboards (SwiftKey, Swype, Better Keyboard, and the like), you'll be fine.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

ZShakespeare posted:

I haven't ever experienced any problems like this with my desire z since CM7 nightly 1. What rom are you using now? I'd like to compare the two.

I'm using the stock ARA rom, the performance is nowhere near as good but it's more or less bug free.

I'll flash a nightly to see how it is, which one are you using?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Just loaded up the latest incredikernel build on my HTC incredible and so far its been fantastic, I'm still running CM7.0.3 and its even more responsive and battery life looks to be even better than it was before just using the stock settings inside incredikernel. Granted, I have the giant Seido 3800MAh battery, but its still nice to get more out of it.

I'm seeing better responsiveness to apps, better signal(anecdotal at best however) and much better light response than the stock kernel that CM7 as running.

If you've got an Incredible running a non-sense ROM, I recommend this wholeheartedly

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Ashex posted:

I'm using the stock ARA rom, the performance is nowhere near as good but it's more or less bug free.

I'll flash a nightly to see how it is, which one are you using?

I was using 7.0.3 for the longest time, but I started installing the nightlies once I started wanting to deny apps permissions that they shouldn't have. There is no damned reason any game should have access to my contact list. I'm on whatever build came out today.

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Portrait of the Artist as a Grump
thanks for the kernel help, turns out I was being an idiot, and not flashing the rom with it. none of the instructions I found mentioned it :(

BLN working nicely on my nexus S now. it's awesome. flashy flashy.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Gyshall posted:

More specifically, this guy has a few themes that I've tried and really like. He has the original .596 color scheme as well as a Black and Green theme. Another that he has, which I'm currently using, is just a mix of different things throughout. It's really well done and very easy to install... just get into bootstrap, mount everything, flash it like you would a ROM, and reboot.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/liberty-rom-dx/151059-themes-aosp-vzw-blue-goodies-liberty.html

Brother Michael
Jul 4, 2005
++Pirate Captain++

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Stuff about making custom roms

Holy cow, thank you! That cleared up a lot. I think I am going to save this whole thing and when someone else asks me about Roms and such I am going to just show them this. In fact, this should be in the OP somewhere.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Stuff on malware and you.

Penguissimo posted:

Some more commonsense malware stuff.

Thank you both. I figured a Developer that has been working on a custom rom for months or perhaps a year, would not really throw it all away to learn what my facebook password is. That said, knowing and understanding what the risks are and what you are doing is always a good thing. I suppose it would make more sense to make a simple keyboard logging program and upload it to the marketplace rather than spend all the time and trouble to make a custom rom to do the same thing.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Well drat, installed Nameless 4.1 on my Fascinate and now it seems anything that needs a coarse location force closes without fail. The person responsible for the Rom posted new install instructions last night so I am going to try them today on my lunch break and see if a new install helps.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

DigitalMocking posted:

Just loaded up the latest incredikernel build on my HTC incredible and so far its been fantastic, I'm still running CM7.0.3 and its even more responsive and battery life looks to be even better than it was before just using the stock settings inside incredikernel. Granted, I have the giant Seido 3800MAh battery, but its still nice to get more out of it.

I'm seeing better responsiveness to apps, better signal(anecdotal at best however) and much better light response than the stock kernel that CM7 as running.

If you've got an Incredible running a non-sense ROM, I recommend this wholeheartedly

Which version is his latest version? He has really good governers included with them. I was running that huge seidio battery too and could pull days out of it. I switched back to stock to see what I could get--light usage I can easily get two and a half days and heavy usage I can get about 1.5 days.

edit- Ahhh, a new version just came out the other day. I'm off to flash it. Its amazing how lovely the Inc was stock (slow, bloatware, disgusting battery life) and how amazing it is rooted.

edit 2- I just installed it and I'll give it today to see how it runs. Do you just keep yours on smartass governer?

Bob A Feet fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 22, 2011

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I've been running CM7 on HTC EVO, and often lately when I press the power button to bring up the unlock screen, it doesn't come up, or sometimes it will come up so delayed that it flashes on screen for a fraction of a second before it times out and goes back to black screen. Has anyone else experienced this unresponsive lock screen issue, or knows what is causing it?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

peepsalot posted:

I've been running CM7 on HTC EVO, and often lately when I press the power button to bring up the unlock screen, it doesn't come up, or sometimes it will come up so delayed that it flashes on screen for a fraction of a second before it times out and goes back to black screen. Has anyone else experienced this unresponsive lock screen issue, or knows what is causing it?

I'm pretty sure its a kernel issue. I only say that because I had the same on my HTC Inc on CM7 and then when I changed kernels the responsiveness drastically changed. I'd wait on more experienced opinions than mine, though.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Much Much better battery life when I went from DAS BAMF Gingerbread remix 2.0 beta 6 to 2.1 on my thunderbolt. The upgrade was cake as well.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Farking Bastage posted:

Much Much better battery life when I went from DAS BAMF Gingerbread remix 2.0 beta 6 to 2.1 on my thunderbolt. The upgrade was cake as well.

If you wouldn't mind too much, would you post the process you went through to root your TB? I have one as well and haven't found any comprehensive resources detailing how to downgrade the software version / applications to use for rooting outside of some old rear end posts that I'm not even sure the information is still relevant.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=996616

It's not the easiest one I've done. Here's what you will run into that's not generally mentioned in this post:

It takes 2 wipes to root, 3 if you are installing GB

You have to install a radio flash as well since the stock one won't play nicely with gingerbread and you won't have any network.

The Google ADB driver has to be manually modified on your PC once you get it on gingerbread due to a mismatch in the hardware ID in the .inf file

Be very anal about MD5 checksums where it tells you to check. They tend to use some shady looking download hosts that can mess up files and if the checksum is off you will brick your phone.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Is there a way to re-partition the storage of a these "blue dot" nook colors after I've already installed CM7 on it? The newer NCs had this partition where B&N made it so that out of the 6 gb, 5 are reserved for B&N stuff. So when I install apps and what not, it goes on this small portion. Is there any way to get rid of this?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

peepsalot posted:

I've had a similar problem where I have to hold the power button down for at least a second to get the screen to come on, but it only happens on the first boot after the battery died completely.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
You guys have any opinions on which Sense ROM is the best one? I've been running CM and MIUI and am just tired of a few little things with them so I wanna go back.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

MindlessHavok posted:

You guys have any opinions on which Sense ROM is the best one? I've been running CM and MIUI and am just tired of a few little things with them so I wanna go back.

Fresh has always been my preferred Sense ROM.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

MindlessHavok posted:

Seconding Fresh.

Haven't had any problems with it at all.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
That's what I thought, downloading it now. I just can't seem to do anything without goon approval though.

No, not really.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Lastly, I notice in the CM7 nightly thread there are some complaints about multiple SMSs appearing. She had this problem once on stock but it's never come back. Anyone seeing that?

I've had this issue with MMS on most all cm7 based roms that I've tried. I have also had it occur on cm6.1.1, though with much less frequency.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 23, 2011

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Those of you running Liberty on your DX and wanting to switch to CM7... check out a new ROM that is from the makers of Liberty and Apex... it's called AOSP Liberty GB. No blur in it and is essentially CM but from guys that already have very successful ROMs on the DX.

I'm downloading now and going to give it a whirl... really excited about this.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/liberty-rom-dx/155538-rom-mod-aosp-liberty-gb.html

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Tried it out but the colors were terrible. Opening up the market is a washed out mess. Back to Apex for me.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

jfreder posted:

Tried it out but the colors were terrible. Opening up the market is a washed out mess. Back to Apex for me.

Yeah I'm getting it all setup now... not really liking the market colors or default launcher theme, but with Launcher Pro the launcher theme issue is null. Truthfully, I'm not on the market a whole lot and usually go to the market website so that's not a huge deal breaker for me. So far it's been really quick though. Although so was Liberty v.8 so nothing huge... but by far, the absolute best part about its... no blur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Yeah Apex runs seemingly just as fast for me and is also Blur-less. Enjoy the overall theme better as well. It is these types of roms that I like so I definitely appreciate having another option.