Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Barn Door posted:

Pretty much

I'm pretty curious, because i've been learning proper notation from Hal Leonard and I'm pretty confident in it now - but it was almost non-existent in my previous lessons/work learning to play the guitar. Without saying 'hurr guitarists urf' is there a definitive reason why it's frowned upon so much by bass players but pretty normal for guitarists?

Also, what is this black block on the top right of the pickguard in this picture:

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly
It's a finger rest. People used to play with their thumbs in the early years of electric bass.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Wow, just the thumb? Thanks.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Southern Heel posted:

I'm pretty curious, because i've been learning proper notation from Hal Leonard and I'm pretty confident in it now - but it was almost non-existent in my previous lessons/work learning to play the guitar. Without saying 'hurr guitarists urf' is there a definitive reason why it's frowned upon so much by bass players but pretty normal for guitarists?

Also, what is this black block on the top right of the pickguard in this picture:

Yup! It's referred to as a "tug-bar."

Leo Fender wasn't really a musician, and certainly not a bassist. When he designed the Precision bass, he really had no idea how people would play it, and just assumed everyone would use their thumb to pluck the strings.

And yeah, most people played that way for a long time, and it is a useful technique when you want a really thick, thumpy sound. Really good for some reggae lines.

Entwistle is typically credited with being the first to popularize playing with index and middle fingers. But even he says he saw someone else do it first. And when he talked to that guy about it, he said he was only doing that because he had a blister on his thumb at the time.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Southern Heel posted:

You definitely play faster the less you have to move your hand up and down the neck. Although sometimes I like the tone from playing E at the 12th fret as opposed to the 7th fret as opposed to the 2nd fret. Its all preference really.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What would be a good compliment to an Ibanez SR300? I'm looking for a warm, smooth sound.

To clarify, I've got the option of doing something with a Jedson short-scale, I'm comfortable with electronics if I need to swap out any components. If I were to custom build I'd look at maybe £250 max, if I was going to buy I'm looking more at £3-400.

Thanks,

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

lazerwolf posted:

You definitely play faster the less you have to move your hand up and down the neck. Although sometimes I like the tone from playing E at the 12th fret as opposed to the 7th fret as opposed to the 2nd fret. Its all preference really.

I play everything I can from the lowest string. I like the tone, I can bend easier and slide a lot. It's definitely a preference.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Dyna Soar posted:

I play everything I can from the lowest string. I like the tone, I can bend easier and slide a lot. It's definitely a preference.

I agree I like the tone and the ability to slide into and out of notes plus just having those 3 higher strings to jump to is always nice.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Southern Heel posted:

Wow, just the thumb? Thanks.

That's how I play bass :shobon:

...except when I want to strum on the strings in which case I make a shape like I'm holding a plectrum and then use the index finger fingernail and the thumb fingernail :shobon:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Schlieren posted:

That's how I play bass :shobon:

...except when I want to strum on the strings in which case I make a shape like I'm holding a plectrum and then use the index finger fingernail and the thumb fingernail :shobon:

Sad thing is I can pick faster with just my thumb than with two fingers, wagging it backwards and forwards. Not so hot when there's string skipping involved, but I can handle something like Misirlou on one string. I'm either doing something very wrong or very right

Also when I was in a band and I got the Call of the Bass during breaks (always knew I wanted to play it), one time I tried playing it 'fingerstyle' instead of with a pick. This involved me using my thumb as a rigid plectrum and thwacking the strings pretty hard. The strings won and I had a really painful blister on the side of my thumb for a week or two. It all seems so simple now...

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 17, 2011

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002

baka kaba posted:

Sad thing is I can pick faster with just my thumb than with two fingers, wagging it backwards and forwards. Not so hot when there's string skipping involved, but I can handle something like Misirlou on one string. I'm either doing something very wrong or very right

Also when I was in a band and I got the Call of the Bass during breaks (always knew I wanted to play it), one time I tried playing it 'fingerstyle' instead of with a pick. This involved me using my thumb as a rigid plectrum and thwacking the strings pretty hard. The strings won and I had a really painful blister on the side of my thumb for a week or two. It all seems so simple now...
On double bass, before a pile of sixties bassists like Scott LaFaro popularized 2 fingers, common practice for fast passages was to just use the index finger and "wag" it backward and forward like you're describing. Mingus played that way, as did most of his contemporaries. The angle on double bass is basically parallel to the strings rather than perpendicular, so the technique is pretty similar (even though the thumb is upside down.)

Incidentally, that's why James Jamerson was able to pull off those crazy passages with one finger.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is there any reason people don't tend to do it now? Like the tonal difference or whatever. I can wag my index finger pretty quickly, not as accurately as my thumb (that's had more practice with acoustic guitar) but I'm sure it would get better with practice. It seems like it could work really well if you develop a technique.

Also you've got me watching James Jamerson videos now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbEWU4jVfcc&t=2m2s

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

baka kaba posted:

Also you've got me watching James Jamerson videos now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbEWU4jVfcc&t=2m2s

I highly recommend the film this clip is taken from, "Standing in the Shadows of Motown." Even better is the book/CD that it was based on. Unlike the film the book is very much focused on Jamerson and his playing and has many of his basslines transcribed.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Bill Posters posted:

I highly recommend the film this clip is taken from, "Standing in the Shadows of Motown." Even better is the book/CD that it was based on. Unlike the film the book is very much focused on Jamerson and his playing and has many of his basslines transcribed.

There was also a book with sheet music and practice CD(s) that must have come out at the same time. Heavily focused on the rhythm section as well. I have it somewhere.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Jamerson is required listening & learning for all bass players.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
hes no mark hoppus

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

SteadfastMeat posted:

hes no mark hoppus

We don't make those kinds of jokes here. :colbert:

RTM
May 21, 2001

hewwo!
Last night I watched some Austin City Limits shows I've DVR'd over the past few months and one of them featured Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings. Good heavens that bass player is awesome. The entire band was great.

http://video.pbs.org/program/1273976454/

They have some pretty tight bands on there. The Trombone Shorty episode is another one worth checking out.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Argh so I sliced a bunch of skin off of my index finger with a knife. I usually play finger style with index and middle fingers, but it looks like I won't be able to do that for a while. So while my finger heals, I gotta find a new playstyle.

Is it worth it to learn using my ring finger - then later I can try playing with 3 fingers after my index finger heals? Or should I just stick to learning my thumb, or using a pick?

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
My vote is for a pick and I play almost exclusively fingerstyle. There are some styles that can't really be played without one. You'd probably just screw up your form playing without normal alternate plucking. Thumb would be kind of cool, I'd get bored though.

Learn some Justin Chancellor :)

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah, maybe I should stick to a pick. Thinking about it, you're probably right that I would screw up my fingerstyle playing, or learn some bad habit which will be hard to unlearn. Thanks for the advice :)

Anyway, right now my skill with a pick is mediocre at best - this is probably the best opportunity I'll have to stick with a pick and get better with it.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Koldenblue posted:

Argh so I sliced a bunch of skin off of my index finger with a knife. I usually play finger style with index and middle fingers, but it looks like I won't be able to do that for a while. So while my finger heals, I gotta find a new playstyle.

Is it worth it to learn using my ring finger - then later I can try playing with 3 fingers after my index finger heals? Or should I just stick to learning my thumb, or using a pick?

As soon as there's skin again over the wound:

- optionally apply mercurochrome if you feel quasy about what follows
- soak fingertip in vinegar for a good while
- cover it with several thin layers of superglue
- let each layer dry before applying the next one
- rough it up a bit with a flexible emery board.

Not kidding. I sliced off half of my left index fingertip lengthwise in the middle of a tour. An old veteran gave me the glue tip - he used that brown Bison glue, though. Takes much longer to dry.

But shifting to middle- and ring-finger works too. Doesn't take too long on bass.

e: if you don't like a pick's clicketyclick sound, try those big red felt ones from Pickboy and play with the blunt end.

Underflow fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 21, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Don't use superglue. Use Dermabond. Same properties as superglue, but non-toxic and antibacterial.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
drat, didn't know that existed.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Underflow posted:

As soon as there's skin again over the wound:

- optionally apply mercurochrome if you feel quasy about what follows
- soak fingertip in vinegar for a good while
- cover it with several thin layers of superglue
- let each layer dry before applying the next one
- rough it up a bit with a flexible emery board.

Not kidding. I sliced off half of my left index fingertip lengthwise in the middle of a tour. An old veteran gave me the glue tip - he used that brown Bison glue, though. Takes much longer to dry.

But shifting to middle- and ring-finger works too. Doesn't take too long on bass.

e: if you don't like a pick's clicketyclick sound, try those big red felt ones from Pickboy and play with the blunt end.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Don't use superglue. Use Dermabond. Same properties as superglue, but non-toxic and antibacterial.

Awesome, sounds like good ideas, thanks! Luckily I'm not on tour or anything, just playing bass as a fun pastime :shobon: I wish I were in a legit band, though.

I don't think skin will entirely grow back for maybe 2 or 3 weeks though. In the meantime, I'm just not good at muting strings while playing with a pick, vs playing fingerstyle. Guess now's a good time to learn.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm HOPING somebody in here will be about to help with this...

I'm playing in a melodic thrash band at the moment, but we're starting to write more death metal, and thus are looking at downtuning. We currently play our songs in Drop D but we're looking at moving to drop C for our existing catalog and C standard for our future stuff.

I'm currently using Elixr 45-105s and the 4th is pretty loose in Drop C, and all 4 strings are way floppy in C Std - I like to run my action low and use a pick so I'm going to need some heavier strings. I know a lot of metal bass players play in C on a 34" 4 string, but I'm having trouble finding out what gauge strings they use to do it?

If I can get coated strings all the better.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I would assume they would just be a heavier gauge. At the key of C, I would be looking at my "A" stright being about the same as my "E" string normally. So I would use that as a guide.

Additionally, could you just get a set of five string strings and toss the G?

Just a silly question: what kind of Death metal would you say you sound like? Death had no problem sounding heavy as gently caress with E/Eb/D tuning...

(I just realized they were in D standard I believe...oops)

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 23, 2011

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

LordPants posted:

Additionally, could you just get a set of five string strings and toss the G?

Or grab a set of these. You might be better off tuned to BEAD though.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Ackbarf posted:

I'm playing in a melodic thrash band at the moment, but we're starting to write more death metal, and thus are looking at downtuning. We currently play our songs in Drop D but we're looking at moving to drop C for our existing catalog and C standard for our future stuff.

I'm currently using Elixr 45-105s and the 4th is pretty loose in Drop C, and all 4 strings are way floppy in C Std - I like to run my action low and use a pick so I'm going to need some heavier strings. I know a lot of metal bass players play in C on a 34" 4 string, but I'm having trouble finding out what gauge strings they use to do it?

If you are in the states, send me a PM with your address. I can send you some used dr black beauties. They are a 120-50 set from what I recall.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah, Death did play in D standard but remember, that was also in a time when most people in thrash were playing in E... We're just trying to break out of the thrash scene, and to be honest some of our newer songs sound totally KILLER in C. We're going to write the next album or most of it in C Standard anyway, we just want to try our back catalog in drop C to see how it goes.

Most of the bands that influence us play in either C or B standard so it will open up a bunch of cover oportunities. We've been mulling this over for months now so don't think it's an uninformed decision!

I think I'm going to end up getting a set of the Black Beauties in 120-50 - having done some more research, they seem to be the closest thing to what I need. Unfortunately I live in Australia so I think I'll have to hit up Ebay, Schatten.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ackbarf posted:

I use 130 - 65 on my p-bass tuned to C standard. Action quite high and I play fingerstyle tho but the tone is real good.

I wouldn't go lighter than my current set anymore but I guess 120 - 50 would barely be heavy enough. Someone who knows more about basses will probably say I'm wrong though :)

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 23, 2011

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

If a guitarist is playing C, Am, F - I could potentially use a low C as a pulsing baseline throughout, right? It's the root of the C major triad, m3rd of the Amin, and 5th of the F major triad. The Amin/F played in 1st and 2nd inversions would make the lowest note and even if not, it's still constant through the whole song, right?

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002

Southern Heel posted:

If a guitarist is playing C, Am, F - I could potentially use a low C as a pulsing baseline throughout, right? It's the root of the C major triad, m3rd of the Amin, and 5th of the F major triad. The Amin/F played in 1st and 2nd inversions would make the lowest note and even if not, it's still constant through the whole song, right?
Sure you could. It'll make the harmony sound really static though (which it already kind of will anyway.) If that's what you're going for, great.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
For shits and giggles I threw those tones into a Tone Gen just to see what they'd sound like together (since I don't have my bass here at work with me).

Low C and F together

Low C and A together

Put them all together and what do you get???

A dial tone :)

Edit: wtf, does tindeck not stream anymore???

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 24, 2011

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
After about half a year of self-teaching and messing around on my bass, I've decided to pick up my first pedal. This weekend guitar center is having a $15 off sale on anything over $75 and I've narrowed down the pedal search to two but I don't know which one to get.

The first one I've been looking at is the EHX Bass Big Muff Pi. I see a lot of positive reviews but a good number of them seem to just be "HELL YEAH CLIFF BURTONNNN :2bong:"

The other one is the Ibanez TS9B Bass Tube Screamer. I've heard it has more utility than the Big Muff and from what I have heard on the video reviews, it produces some really nice sounds. However, the TS9B seems to be a lot less popular than the EHX, which makes me wonder if I'm missing something.

Anyone have any input or suggestions on what to get?

Edit: Also looking at the Boss ODB-3 pedal.

Bazanga fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 25, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I got a new camera.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Your white Stambaugh is still one of the nicest basses I've ever seen.

I scored big time on craigslist today:

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

Bazanga posted:

Anyone have any input or suggestions on what to get?

It's hard to really give advice on this since it basically comes down to what you like the best. Personally I don't like the ODB-3, sounds too "fizzy" for me, but a lot of people feel differently. Spend some time at the store fiddling with as many different pedals as you can and just get the one you think sounds best. Take in your own bass and play on a rig similar to yours if at all possible.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Hi bass people. I've been playing for around five years now and my Peavey Zodiac-EX is just not cutting it for me. I've decided that three things I'm looking for in my next bass are:

1. It must be fretless
2. It must be acoustic or semi-acoustic
3. It should possibly maybe sorta I don't really know be useable for slap bass.

I really have no clue if these three things go together at all, but needless to say I have absolutely zero ability in purchasing fretless basses, let alone acoustic ones, so I'm hoping there's a brand or style I should keep an eye out for when I make my purchase.

Do any of you gents have the slightest idea of where to guide me? :ohdear:

Oh, and slap is the least important of the three, in case you couldn't tell. I can slap just fine on my Zodiac, but it doesn't have quite the sound I'm looking for and no number of bass amps have been able to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Price no issue? That Lakland hollowbody fretless looks neat. I think user Scarf can tell you what it sounds like.