Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Volcano posted:

:witch: In England, we say please!

I love that I could've said: "You don't tell me how to talk. Pay up or get out." Actually I've said that before. It's loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I hate secret shoppers so bad, but there is worse! The Kroger division I work for is getting rid of the secret shoppers and implementing their own way of finding out customer's shopping experiences.

When the shopper pays for his/her stuff, sometimes on the receipt it'll give them a code and website to go and rate his/her shopping experience. It'll also allow them to leave any comments they want.

I haven't seen this backfire too bad yet, but I can foresee this system being abused by those stupid rear end in a top hat customers to make life hell for us when they fail to rip us off. They can easily single out any employee and exaggerate/lie about their experience to get us in trouble.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

alreadybeen posted:

Where do you work, I would love this. Employees hanging around not approaching me but there when I need assistance. I hate being asked if I need help finding things multiple times. If I need help, I'll ask.
You are in the minority, unfortunately. Most customers walk into a store and expect to have their asses wiped for them at all times, or else they're clearly not getting their money's worth. They'll stomp around looking pissed off and sighing pointedly until one of us asks if they need help. To which they inevitably respond "FINALLY!"

People who hate being asked if they need help yell louder and come up with better insults, though.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

spite house posted:

You are in the minority, unfortunately. Most customers walk into a store and expect to have their asses wiped for them at all times, or else they're clearly not getting their money's worth. They'll stomp around looking pissed off and sighing pointedly until one of us asks if they need help. To which they inevitably respond "FINALLY!"

People who hate being asked if they need help yell louder and come up with better insults, though.

I wouldn't say most. It's just the uppity ones that we remember, we never remember Joe Shmoe who just walked in, paid for a book and walked out. I'd honestly say that most people are on autopilot (at least when shopping/browsing for themselves). Maybe 10% of the customers were outright dicks and maybe 5% were exceptional; cracking jokes or being personable.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Yeah, I was exaggerating for dramatic effect and your numbers are just about right. It's just that the people who bawl about either being ignored or being hovered over are so noisy, and it's impossible to tell who is who by looking at them.

Also, last night sucked and I had to wipe many, many asses.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/18/target-union-idUSN1826202820110618

:negative:

It's poo poo like this that allows retail workers to be treated like poo poo.

The whole culture of living in perpetual terror of management is the absolute worst part of the whole thing.

I'm so glad I don't work retail anymore.

It is because of this incident that the low/mid management in the entire region of stores in my area had to go through 4 hours of "Union Training" recently. And yes, I get to hear how horrible unions are, and how they will result in us getting less pay, more hours cut, no benefits, rape my rear end in a top hat, etc. on a daily basis. I have to bite my lip, or else risk getting fired...

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

spite house posted:

Yeah, I was exaggerating for dramatic effect and your numbers are just about right. It's just that the people who bawl about either being ignored or being hovered over are so noisy, and it's impossible to tell who is who by looking at them.

Also, last night sucked and I had to wipe many, many asses.

It says something about retail work when it forces employees to assume everyone who walks through your door is going to be a complete rear end in a top hat.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Dodgeball posted:

It says something about retail work when it forces employees to assume everyone who walks through your door is going to be a complete rear end in a top hat.

On this topic, I'm upset I was off yesterday. Apparently a couple came in, claimed everything they got was on sale and that the price needed to be changed. They were yelling at the cashier and the manager completely caved told them they were wrong and the prices weren't getting changed. They continued throwing a fit, causing the cashier hyperventilate and get taken to the hospital. The police detail we have was there and let them go arrested them for disturbing the peace or some other "you were too fuckin loud and obnoxious after everyone told you to chill out and leave" charge.

At least there was some justice.

Oh yea, they didn't schedule enough people today in signing, leaving everyone, including our softlines & market execs to have to put up signs. They were amazed by the sheer amount of poo poo we throw away in duplicate signs and how awful the revisions were done on the aisles. Apparently putting things in number order is too hard for either the revision team or for corporate who sends out that poo poo.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 19, 2011

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Dodgeball posted:

And tech support/service in call centers. I pretty much ended up assuming anyone who calls is an rear end in a top hat and/or a moron. The worst part is if you're a big enough rear end in a top hat, you do get the goodies over someone who is polite, etc. Sad that someone can bitch their way to priority service while polite awesome people either wait or I hope I can sneak in a priority ticket.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ijii posted:

I hate secret shoppers so bad, but there is worse! The Kroger division I work for is getting rid of the secret shoppers and implementing their own way of finding out customer's shopping experiences.

When the shopper pays for his/her stuff, sometimes on the receipt it'll give them a code and website to go and rate his/her shopping experience. It'll also allow them to leave any comments they want.

Gamestop and Best Buy have been doing this for years. Even though I always decline help while I'm in the stores, I always give glowing reviews about how helpful the staff were when I get the surveys.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Ornamented Death posted:

Gamestop and Best Buy have been doing this for years. Even though I always decline help while I'm in the stores, I always give glowing reviews about how helpful the staff were when I get the surveys.

This is a noble idea but you should probably focus on having a real experience with some sales people and mentioning them by name instead of casting a praise net over the entire floor. There are lovely employees after all.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I missed work again today to go to the emergency room for ongoing mysterious serious illness. This means I now have 8 hours for this entire week.
Glad I don't gave any real bills to pay or I'd be hosed.
I also had to practically beg for them to accommodate my illness at work today, even though I had two doctor's notes stating what I needed done: a stool and nothing else. It took them an hour to find me a stool and in that time I almost fell just from standing several times. I should have just fallen and cracked my head and sued the poo poo out of them.
And while they did manage to find a replacement for me quickly, they gave me grief and literal eyerolls when I told them I needed to go to the ER.
"Great place to work", my loving rear end.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

caveman thug poo poo posted:

This is a noble idea but you should probably focus on having a real experience with some sales people and mentioning them by name instead of casting a praise net over the entire floor. There are lovely employees after all.

Oh I do, I was just speaking in general. The guys that helped me with my home theater stuff were mentioned by name, and a few times I've had employees go dig around in "the back" because their computers showed they had something in stock but it wasn't on the floor (they volunteered, I didn't ask), and they were mentioned by name.

But even though I know there are bad employees, I also know there are customers that are complete dicks and will give terrible reviews for no reason, so I look at my praise net as something of a karmic balance.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

silversiren posted:

I missed work again today to go to the emergency room for ongoing mysterious serious illness. This means I now have 8 hours for this entire week.
Glad I don't gave any real bills to pay or I'd be hosed.
I also had to practically beg for them to accommodate my illness at work today, even though I had two doctor's notes stating what I needed done: a stool and nothing else. It took them an hour to find me a stool and in that time I almost fell just from standing several times. I should have just fallen and cracked my head and sued the poo poo out of them.
And while they did manage to find a replacement for me quickly, they gave me grief and literal eyerolls when I told them I needed to go to the ER.
"Great place to work", my loving rear end.

If you only work 16 hours a week, you couldn't find time in the other 152 hours to go to the doctor instead? I only say this because you state it is "ongoing".

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

three posted:

If you only work 16 hours a week, you couldn't find time in the other 152 hours to go to the doctor instead? I only say this because you state it is "ongoing".

Going to an emergency room is not the same as a scheduled visit to a doctor.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

three posted:

I went to the doctor nearly every day last week except Monday when I was not sick. Do you think I wanted to spend 9 hours in the emergency room, miss work, and screw up my already very low paycheck?

Linear Ouroboros
Mar 30, 2007
Sweet loving Ginger!
My store takes orders online. Now normally I stop processing those new orders about 15 minutes before Fed Ex picks up, and just ring them out the next day because it does take a little bit of time to process, but we got an order juuuuuust at our cut off and I decided to rush it through.
We scan the shipping label and it sends an email with the shipping code to the customer, and the package is on the fed ex truck literally twenty minutes after the customer placed the order, at 5:30pm.
All good, right?
The first phone call came ten minutes later. The tracking number we emailled wasn't working. I check and sure enough the last digit of the tracking number somehow got cut off. No big deal, right? Of course not. We had purposefully sent him a false number, given him wrong data and lied to him! He demanded recompensation! I told him no, but told him to look for his package in the next few days.
He called to complain that he hadn't received his package the next morning at 10:30 am. Apparently this was unacceptable and we should reimburse his shipping. It was sent ground, not next day or air, so again I said no, but promised to watch the tracking on the package for him.
The next call was at 4pm the same day. He had left for the store and while gone the fed ex driver arrived. They left a slip that they had been there but hadn't left the package. He was furious that we hadn't told the driver to leave the package with his neighbor Elene if he wasn't there. He had never said this nor had he indicated this in delivery instructions. This time he wanted his whole order reimbursed. I still said no, and called fed ex with the new delivery instructions.
The package was delivered the next morning just before noon. About forty hours after he placed the order. The email I received from him? We had made mistakes on everything regarding shipping his package, we had taken almost a month for him to get his order, we had been unwilling to help him and refused to talk to him....

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

redheadgeek posted:

The package was delivered the next morning just before noon. About forty hours after he placed the order. The email I received from him? We had made mistakes on everything regarding shipping his package, we had taken almost a month for him to get his order, we had been unwilling to help him and refused to talk to him....

If I were you I'd get him the extra special delivery service next time, where you squash the box down so that it can be slipped under his door next time he isn't home to get his package. :haw:

What a shitheel.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Wow. 40 hours = "a month"? Even by :byodood: customer time reckoning, that's a stretch.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Go an interview at the Alamo Drafthouse tomorrow. In terms of part-time jobs, I could probably do a whole lot worse.

I could be working at Studio Movie Grill again, for instance. :suicide:

uptown
May 16, 2009
My diabetic coworker got carted out on a stretcher today, apparently. I wasn't there, but the buzz around the store is that when asked if coworker was diabetic, our store manager said no and one of my other coworkers had to correct him for the paramedics. Insane.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

miscellaneous14 posted:

Go an interview at the Alamo Drafthouse tomorrow. In terms of part-time jobs, I could probably do a whole lot worse.

I could be working at Studio Movie Grill again, for instance. :suicide:
Thought you already got a non retail job when you quit the movie place?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I think I mentioned a few pages back that the territory VP (guy answers directly to the CEO) moved to be based out of our store? He came shopping with his wife this Sunday, you know, Father's Day, in a department store. Busy as hell, and his wife bitched because an employee in the Misses department didn't say "hi" to her despite the fact that half the employees don't know the TVP yet, absolutely no one knows his wife (she doesn't work for the company at all). She didn't need help, the person just didn't greet her. KISS MY RING, PEASANT SLAVES. HOW DARE YOU NOT GREET YOUR QUEEN?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

ijii posted:

Thought you already got a non retail job when you quit the movie place?

I only have 25 hours at this job, and at my wage I come about $200-400 under a safe income.

Normally I'd probably be stressed about the idea of going back to a retail job after I "escaped", but this current job is so pleasant that I wouldn't mind the 15 or so hours I'd spend at another job, even if it was hellish.

One of my coworkers actually thought Avalanche's (if I recall correctly whose it was) story was made up, the one about the health-department not even bothering to follow up on the complaints because the supervisor said "nope, everything's fine here!". His reason being that "they were supposed to have".

Hey. Guess what? poo poo doesn't always work out as it's "supposed" to, especially not in retail. As has been said in this thread, everyone should have to work one of these jobs at least once in their lives, so they know how hopeless it can get.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

miscellaneous14 posted:

One of my coworkers actually thought Avalanche's (if I recall correctly whose it was) story was made up, the one about the health-department not even bothering to follow up on the complaints because the supervisor said "nope, everything's fine here!". His reason being that "they were supposed to have".

Hey. Guess what? poo poo doesn't always work out as it's "supposed" to, especially not in retail. As has been said in this thread, everyone should have to work one of these jobs at least once in their lives, so they know how hopeless it can get.

If you're talking about the one about the health department not verifying a fast food place having hot water, instead just calling to ask if the store was shut down - that was me.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

2508084 posted:

If you're talking about the one about the health department not verifying a fast food place having hot water, instead just calling to ask if the store was shut down - that was me.

Do you also post over at the Customers Suck forums? I remember reading about that over on those forums in the Morons in Management subforum. I read your posts about that here and thought "I read something like that in the CS forums."

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

rockinricky posted:

Do you also post over at the Customers Suck forums? I remember reading about that over on those forums in the Morons in Management subforum. I read your posts about that here and thought "I read something like that in the CS forums."

I used to before the mods went all wonk. Im on EV now.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

2508084 posted:

Yeah, it was that one. I couldn't quite remember as both of you seemed to get hit pretty hard by the supervisor-shitstick.

Now that I think about it, was there any way you could have talked directly to the health department in that situation? I mean, you probably weren't in a comfy spot to risk blowing the whistle there, and it was likely already after the fact, but you'd think they would take "my management is blatantly lying to you, come over and look at this" pretty goddamn seriously considering they're risking their own asses on not giving any follow-through in doing their goddamn job.

Then again, "you'd think" is unfortunately never a guarantee in this working sector.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

cobalt impurity posted:

So, last night I had to read some printouts of some of the feedback from customer surveys that print out with every fifth receipt. The #1 complaint was being unable to receive help due to "associates being aware I'm in the store but not approaching." Note that this is selected from a list of possible complaints, so it's not people writing it in.

Customers will wander around on days where the store is full of workers and not approach a single drat one of them to ask for help. ... Customers are lazy morons who won't put in any effort to do anything, but complain when they don't get what they want.

You work in a home improvement store that may or may not start with an L, don't you.Nevermind, I just started reading the beginning of the thread and it's a different store. Needless to say, this happens all the drat time in home improvement stores.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 22, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

miscellaneous14 posted:

Yeah, it was that one. I couldn't quite remember as both of you seemed to get hit pretty hard by the supervisor-shitstick.

Now that I think about it, was there any way you could have talked directly to the health department in that situation? I mean, you probably weren't in a comfy spot to risk blowing the whistle there, and it was likely already after the fact, but you'd think they would take "my management is blatantly lying to you, come over and look at this" pretty goddamn seriously considering they're risking their own asses on not giving any follow-through in doing their goddamn job.

Then again, "you'd think" is unfortunately never a guarantee in this working sector.

I was the one who called them and told them. I didn't care about losing my job. The health dept even warned me "they're going to know its an employee." Id rather get fired than serve a two year old undercooked bacon because "we need to make speed".

I didnt know they never went by until a couple weeks later when the inspection report was put online. I don't think they even bothered inspecting after my second call about using expired product

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
My first full day back at work in a week and I had a customer make me cry today. I really really really need to find a new job, and I've been searching and trying so hard and I'm just not getting anywhere. I don't know what to do.
His order total came to $2.96 and he handed me $2 in change and a $5 bill. I took 96 cents from the change and the $5 and gave him back $3 and handed him back the rest of the change. And he starts yelling, "What is this? This isn't what I gave you. What is this? Are you stupid?" and just keeps calling me stupid over and over again and whatever else. I've been pretty drat sick for the past week and now I'm on a few medications that, in addition to the brain fog and vertigo I already have, are making it nigh impossible to function normally. So I just don't understand what he wants. He's causing a huge scene, my line is backing up, and I just keep telling him, "Look, I took 96 cents from the change and I'm giving you $3 back. What do you want me to do?"
:argh: "THIS IS NOT WHAT I SHOULD BE GETTING BACK WHAT DID I GIVE YOU I GAVE YOU $2 IN CHANGE AND A $5 BILL THIS iS NOT WHAT I SHOULD BE GETTING BACK!!"
And I explain again, I took 96 cents from the $2 in change along with the $5 bill, your change is $3 and here's the rest of the change back since I didn't take it. I can't put it in my drawer. And he just starts calling me stupid again. So I pawn him off to customer service, and ask them if they can ask him what he wants me to do. They are just as confused as I am. At this point I'm just about to burst into tears, and once again he calls me stupid, so I can't stop. I just start sobbing. I can't walk, I can't speak, I can't stop crying. The next customer who was standing in line goes over and just hands the guy a dollar ("BECAUSE MY CHANGE SHOULD HAVE BEEN $4!!!") and tells him to shut the gently caress up while I run to the bathroom to try and calm down.

After finally getting home and calming down I can now kind of see why he thought he'd be getting $4 back, but he would he have needed to have given me $7.06 (I think?) and he did not, he just gave me a handful of change equal to $2 and a $5.
We both made a mistake. I guess my mistake was not reading his mind and his mistake was not giving me the correct amount in order to get the change he wanted. But I didn't yell and cause a huge scene and call him stupid because I made a mistake.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

silversiren posted:

We both made a mistake. I guess my mistake was not reading his mind and his mistake was not giving me the correct amount in order to get the change he wanted. But I didn't yell and cause a huge scene and call him stupid because I made a mistake.

His mistake was in being an unbelievable oval office over pennies which resulted in you whipping out a flamethrower from under the till and reducing him slowly from a screaming blob of charred flesh into a small pile of filmy ashes, which scatter softly in the breeze from the open shop door.

Your mistake was waiting until he made you cry to get the flamethrower.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Pookah posted:

His mistake was in being an unbelievable oval office over pennies which resulted in you whipping out a flamethrower from under the till and reducing him slowly from a screaming blob of charred flesh into a small pile of filmy ashes, which scatter softly in the breeze from the open shop door.

Your mistake was waiting until he made you cry to get the flamethrower.

Oh how I wish.. I wish this so. :(

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Don't feel bad I had a crusty make me cry this week too. I have a bell on my counter because I spend much of my night in the back room baking and making product well assholes think it's loving hilarious to sit and wail on the thing..now i'm working 7 days/week and my nerves are fragile to say the very least. After three days of people just non stop doing this even after being asked to stop I snapped Monday night. This guy who always does it comes in..I was already feeling worn and he just stands there and keeps doing it and I wearily ask him to stop..he keeps doing it and laughing and I just teared up and started blubbering. He asks me if I am crying and I wing his change at him and he leaves. He came in last night and asked me if I was crying I said yeah and tried to explain to him why and he just laughs and says take some days off. No poo poo rear end in a top hat do you think that I am doing this BY loving CHOICE??? For fucks sake I have everyone pissed at me as it is because someone is being forced to work for me on Saturday..but what the gently caress man I have a family and a life, my kid's birthday is wednesday and we're taking her out saturday which everyone knew about two weeks ago. Ugghh

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

I have a bell on my counter

gently caress bells so hard. The number of people who think its funny to mash it when you're standing right there is staggering. I hate every single one of you.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Ghostnuke posted:

gently caress bells so hard. The number of people who think its funny to mash it when you're standing right there is staggering. I hate every single one of you.

When they do that you stare at them, right in the eyes without blinking, straight faced, and take the bell off the counter without breaking eye contact.
It doesn't serve to convey any real message, just works as a good weird reaction.

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010

Ghostnuke posted:

This. Also the ones who are like "I just HAD to do it because it was there! :haw:" You are not funny. What are you, twelve? As soon as they do it, I take the bell from them and throw it under the counter. It usually gets the point across without them having to say a word. (e: drat, beaten!)

At our store, dinging the bell three times lets other employees know someone needs help. One time a kid started dinging the bell repeatedly and I told him "please don't do that!" His mom flipped out on me, yelling "I TOLD HIM TO STOP! WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM?" Someone showed up to the counter asking if I needed help, and I said, "No, false alarm," and pointed to the kid.

And everyone wonders why I hide the bell while I'm at the register.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

silversiren posted:

My first full day back at work in a week and I had a customer make me cry today. I really really really need to find a new job, and I've been searching and trying so hard and I'm just not getting anywhere. I don't know what to do.
His order total came to $2.96 and he handed me $2 in change and a $5 bill. I took 96 cents from the change and the $5 and gave him back $3 and handed him back the rest of the change. And he starts yelling, "What is this? This isn't what I gave you. What is this? Are you stupid?" and just keeps calling me stupid over and over again and whatever else. I've been pretty drat sick for the past week and now I'm on a few medications that, in addition to the brain fog and vertigo I already have, are making it nigh impossible to function normally. So I just don't understand what he wants. He's causing a huge scene, my line is backing up, and I just keep telling him, "Look, I took 96 cents from the change and I'm giving you $3 back. What do you want me to do?"
:argh: "THIS IS NOT WHAT I SHOULD BE GETTING BACK WHAT DID I GIVE YOU I GAVE YOU $2 IN CHANGE AND A $5 BILL THIS iS NOT WHAT I SHOULD BE GETTING BACK!!"
And I explain again, I took 96 cents from the $2 in change along with the $5 bill, your change is $3 and here's the rest of the change back since I didn't take it. I can't put it in my drawer. And he just starts calling me stupid again. So I pawn him off to customer service, and ask them if they can ask him what he wants me to do. They are just as confused as I am. At this point I'm just about to burst into tears, and once again he calls me stupid, so I can't stop. I just start sobbing. I can't walk, I can't speak, I can't stop crying. The next customer who was standing in line goes over and just hands the guy a dollar ("BECAUSE MY CHANGE SHOULD HAVE BEEN $4!!!") and tells him to shut the gently caress up while I run to the bathroom to try and calm down.

After finally getting home and calming down I can now kind of see why he thought he'd be getting $4 back, but he would he have needed to have given me $7.06 (I think?) and he did not, he just gave me a handful of change equal to $2 and a $5.

$2+$5=$7
$7-$2.96=$4.04

You owed dude a dollar, sorry.

He shouldn't have yelled at you though.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Flavor Bear posted:

When they do that you stare at them, right in the eyes without blinking, straight faced, and take the bell off the counter without breaking eye contact.
It doesn't serve to convey any real message, just works as a good weird reaction.

the Retail Thousand Yard Stare. I did this on grave all the time when people asked for free food. Just stare. Unblinking, unwavering, stare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Dead Cow posted:

$2+$5=$7
$7-$2.96=$4.04

You owed dude a dollar, sorry.

He shouldn't have yelled at you though.

edit: Never mind you gave him $3 ones and a buck in change