Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
As of this morning, Google Voice will not send text messages to my SMS app. I can receive them in the GV still, but no matter what settings I change, I can't receive them in an SMS app, even stock. Oddly, I can still send messages with SMS apps, but only receive in GV. What are the exact settings I need to be able to get texts the normal way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Can't even get 4G in my house, but loving the 3D so far. Except for the actual 3D part of the 3D. Fastest I've ever gotten a headache. And I didn't even get to try out the Green Hornet movie. It threw up some error about not having enough licenses or something.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

big mean giraffe posted:

Could someone do me a favor and tell me how much free 'internal memory' it shows under storage in options? I'm wondering how much app storage space is available.

Internal Space: 1.02GB

There is an option to make more space and remove applications and data caches right under that.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

As of this morning, Google Voice will not send text messages to my SMS app. I can receive them in the GV still, but no matter what settings I change, I can't receive them in an SMS app, even stock. Oddly, I can still send messages with SMS apps, but only receive in GV. What are the exact settings I need to be able to get texts the normal way?
The option exists under the device settings in Google Voice, on the website anyway.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 23, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Can't even get 4G in my house

Not surprising. Sprint's WiMAX operates at 2.5ghz and a frequency that high has pretty poor penetration. I can't get 4G in my house on my EVO 4G at all but if I step outside it's strong enough to download at 6mbps.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream
I tried to do activation online, but it wouldn't activate unless I switched from my sero plan. Called the number in the OP, got bumped up to the $50/mo sero plan, debated with her the merits of putting a Samsung Transform in a blender vs. Craigslisting it, and 10 minutes later I'm testing out 4G from my deck.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Can't even get 4G in my house, but loving the 3D so far. Except for the actual 3D part of the 3D. Fastest I've ever gotten a headache. And I didn't even get to try out the Green Hornet movie. It threw up some error about not having enough licenses or something.

This may be a release date thing, I got it too and will try again on Friday.

E: I have noticed yet another nice thing - the browser does not lag to poo poo on full size pages with stuff like flash. Netflix main site was buttery smooth while my Epic would be stuttering like Prince Albert and getting red hot in my hand.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 23, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

It's a feature, not a bug. Anti-bad movie filters???

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
This phone continues to blow me away. It's so smooth, error free, and I love Sense 3.0. I get the feeling that this the real product that HTC wanted to deploy with the Hero.

The more I use this phone, the more that Engadget review looks completely awful.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Why doesn't the background move when you switch homescreens? It feels like it's broken after having it work that way for so long.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
It's looking more like this the HTC Kingdom which is supposed to come to Sprint which is the same thing as the Evo 3d without the 3d.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/22/is-this-the-htc-evo-4g-aka-kingdom/

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

OptimusMatrix posted:

It's looking more like this the HTC Kingdom which is supposed to come to Sprint which is the same thing as the Evo 3d without the 3d.

It's not like you HAVE to use the 3D functionality on the Evo 3D. I don't really see the point in having two virtually identical phones on the same carrier.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

echo465 posted:

I tried to do activation online, but it wouldn't activate unless I switched from my sero plan. Called the number in the OP, got bumped up to the $50/mo sero plan, debated with her the merits of putting a Samsung Transform in a blender vs. Craigslisting it, and 10 minutes later I'm testing out 4G from my deck.
Blend it! Blend it!

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

OptimusMatrix posted:

I find it interesting that some sites report that device as the Rider, some as the Kingdom. If that truly is an EVO 3D without 3D and a single 8mp camera instead, I think I might actually prefer it to the 3D. Oh well, not that I expect to be disappointed with the 3deez.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I need to learn to keep my finger pad on the right from hitting the capacitive buttons accidentally. The buttons and the screen are both incredibly sensitive - and accurate, for the most part

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Maybe I'm retarded, but how do you close applications?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Not surprising. Sprint's WiMAX operates at 2.5ghz and a frequency that high has pretty poor penetration. I can't get 4G in my house on my EVO 4G at all but if I step outside it's strong enough to download at 6mbps.

This is why I wanted to go to sprint but stayed with ATT. 4g is great but if you have to either be standing in a field or have a wimax tower bolted to your house, it's not useful to me.

Shame because I wanted to like the EVO 3d. Maybe when sprint goes LTE building penetration will improve?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Maybe I'm retarded, but how do you close applications?

Just back out or hit home. Android closes apps automatically when it needs memory for a new task, essentially.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

It's not like you HAVE to use the 3D functionality on the Evo 3D. I don't really see the point in having two virtually identical phones on the same carrier.

Unless they're banking on a lot of people saying "man, I don't need 3D and this one is $175 instead of $200." Otherwise I completely agree.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I find it interesting that some sites report that device as the Rider, some as the Kingdom. If that truly is an EVO 3D without 3D and a single 8mp camera instead, I think I might actually prefer it to the 3D. Oh well, not that I expect to be disappointed with the 3deez.

The 5MP on the 3D should actually take better pictures than an 8MP with a camera that small.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

a shameful boehner posted:

Just back out or hit home. Android closes apps automatically when it needs memory for a new task, essentially.

You sure? Google Maps stayed open after I hit the home button, which kept my GPS and compass active.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
You sure? Google Maps stayed open after I hit the home button, which kept my GPS and compass active.

you need to hit back. hitting home only basically minimizes the app. Hitting back completely closes it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Still getting used to Android after having WebOS for a couple years, but definitely digging this thing so far. Everything is buttery smooth and 3d, while a gimmick, is kind of cool.

This thing is going to revolutionize sending nude pictures.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b"]

Navigation stays open for whatever reason, press your menu button and select quit or close.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

hotsauce posted:

This is why I wanted to go to sprint but stayed with ATT. 4g is great but if you have to either be standing in a field or have a wimax tower bolted to your house, it's not useful to me.

Shame because I wanted to like the EVO 3d. Maybe when sprint goes LTE building penetration will improve?

Penetration has nothing to do with LTE vs WiMax. It has everything to do with frequency.

Sprint does have a lot of frequency spectrum that it is repurposing for it's Network Vision project. The EVO 3D is going to be one of the first phones to take advantage of the repurposed spectrum as it is the first phone on Sprint to support CDMA on the SMR frequences.

Sprint's LTE plans have not yet been made clear to the public, but they did sign a 4 year contract with Lightsquared to provide it. Lightsquared does LTE in the 1.4 Ghz band which has better penetration that Clearwire's WiMax at 2.5Ghz.

All that said, I still feel like 4G is a gimmick on smartphones and will continue to be a gimmick until the 4G radio is the primary radio on the phone. I am hopeful that in the next 5 years, the major carriers will start doing Voice over LTE and work out some agreements on LTE roaming. Until then, 4G is really only good at eating battery when I am at area that has good coverage which in my town is the mall.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Lowen SoDium posted:

Sprint's LTE plans have not yet been made clear to the public, but they did sign a 4 year contract with Lightsquared to provide it.

Totally nitpicking here, but the report actually indicated a 15-year deal between Sprint and LightSquared. I think the general consensus is that there's going to be some sort of guidance for investors whenever Q2 results are announced - sometime in mid-July.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lowen SoDium posted:

Penetration has nothing to do with LTE vs WiMax. It has everything to do with frequency.

Sprint does have a lot of frequency spectrum that it is repurposing for it's Network Vision project. The EVO 3D is going to be one of the first phones to take advantage of the repurposed spectrum as it is the first phone on Sprint to support CDMA on the SMR frequences.

Sprint's LTE plans have not yet been made clear to the public, but they did sign a 4 year contract with Lightsquared to provide it. Lightsquared does LTE in the 1.4 Ghz band which has better penetration that Clearwire's WiMax at 2.5Ghz.

All that said, I still feel like 4G is a gimmick on smartphones and will continue to be a gimmick until the 4G radio is the primary radio on the phone. I am hopeful that in the next 5 years, the major carriers will start doing Voice over LTE and work out some agreements on LTE roaming. Until then, 4G is really only good at eating battery when I am at area that has good coverage which in my town is the mall.

My town has this as well, coverage only at the mall, but then the shithole podunk across the river has it as well.

e: flooded shithole podunk.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 23, 2011

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I was happy to find out that I could delete most of the bloatware without any hassle on the 3Deez, just manage applications and remove the ones you don't like.

Except the terrible polaris office. Can't wait to get rid of that.

snKestren
Jun 25, 2008
My EVO 3D is dead apparently. I tried to download the Spiderman 3D game and it blacked out. It won't turn on even after removing the battery and doesn't even seem to charge when I plug it in.

:saddowns:

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

big mean giraffe posted:

The name, the fact it doesn't have 3D in the name. The truth is most consumers don't look into details too much as it is ridiculously obvious on most of the Engadget article comments. The moment you say a feature a consumer doesn't care for(such as 3d) or simple things they dislike(shipped with locked bootloader,7/10 in reviews) most people looking at a 2 year agreement plug their ears with their fingers and go "LLALALANOTLISTENINGLALLAA". I really don't blame them, you are going to likely be stuck with this phone you pick out for awhile.

EDIT:^^^^Is there the slightest of clues if anything still functions in the phone? Charge light? Anything?

jaku78 fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 23, 2011

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

So I am not sure I understand how the new upgrade stuff is set up. I havent used an upgrade since I got my Hero in october of 2009, and now it says I'm not eligible for a full rebate till NOVEMBER of 2011. What the gently caress. I was planning on going for the Evo3D this weekend, but am not signing another contract at $75 off. Do they really expect everyones phones to last 25 months? UGGGHHHH. I have had this line for 12 years, but dont qualify as "gold" apparently since its always been on a shared account (not a family plan). Should I just transfer my liability and have them send the bill to my address instead of my parents? Would this invalidate me being a customer since 1999? Anything I can do to qualify for an upgrade?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

e: Just call retentions and give them "polite but a little bummed out" shpiel about how you were sold a phone that was EOL'd 6 months after you bought it with no alternatives (the Moment isn't an alternative, it's a punchline). Additionally, if you bought the Hero, you may well have had a plan that qualified you for Premier when it was a proper valued customer program and not some "Less than $100/month gets the back of the bus" segregated plan. Try calling retentions and working that angle as well. Or do whatever, but call retentions. There are also other posts in this thread regarding lost upgrades due to the Premier Kristallnacht that happened on April 1, with email addresses and whatnot if you're not really a over-the-phone person.

Either way, just don't drop the segregation/nazi references on them, that's not professional.

jaku78 posted:

The name, the fact it doesn't have 3D in the name. The truth is most consumers don't look into details too much as it is ridiculously obvious on most of the Engadget article comments. The moment you say a feature a consumer doesn't care for(such as 3d) or simple things they dislike(shipped with locked bootloader,7/10 in reviews) most people looking at a 2 year agreement plug their ears with their fingers and go "LLALALANOTLISTENINGLALLAA". I really don't blame them, you are going to likely be stuck with this phone you pick out for awhile.

EDIT:^^^^Is there the slightest of clues if anything still functions in the phone? Charge light? Anything?

I love those kinds of people. For all we know that OTA that rolled out a few hours ago unlocked the drat bootloader. One thing it did was hide the dialer app. As in, you know the shortcut on the far left of the lockscreen? blanked. It still works, it's still on the phone, you can make calls, but there's no way to make a shortcut as it's not a listed app.

snKestren posted:

My EVO 3D is dead apparently. I tried to download the Spiderman 3D game and it blacked out. It won't turn on even after removing the battery and doesn't even seem to charge when I plug it in.

:saddowns:

Well, I'm not going to touch that Spiderman app now. Try bringing it into a Sprint store early in the morning, when they open, and see if they can't hook it up to their imaging utility (or whatever one would call Odin) and get it running. You'd get your phone back in the state (data-wise) it was when you took it out of the box, but it'll work.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 23, 2011

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
It definitely didn't unlock the phone. I've been keeping an eye on xda the past 12 hours or so and it is definitely still locked.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Has anyone taken a 3D video and played it back on their 3D tv yet? I don't have a 3D tv but I'm curious how the quality is anyway.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dphi posted:

Has anyone taken a 3D video and played it back on their 3D tv yet? I don't have a 3D tv but I'm curious how the quality is anyway.

poo poo, you just gave me the idea. Going to give it a whirl in a moment, but I will need to figure out how. There wasn't an HDMI adapter with the phone, so I don't know of any way to get it to my TV. TV has no wireless (sold separately, gently caress that) so I just have my PS3. Do you think I could route the video through my PS3 via some kind of media server?

big mean giraffe posted:

It definitely didn't unlock the phone. I've been keeping an eye on xda the past 12 hours or so and it is definitely still locked.

Well, gently caress. I haven't checked XDA (and probably won't for a few months, don't want to tempt myself and brick the drat phone playing with some hackjob from a methcook-style dev "team")

The Entire Universe posted:

Also, go to the personalize settings, go to Lockscreen, and have a look at what the friendstream is saying.

Okay, this is what it says:

e: I need to learn more about using my camera. http://imgur.com/a/Z10th/all

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 23, 2011

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

900ftjesus posted:

*Probates self*

Actually I pre-ordered at a Sprint store, if anyone else did and hasn't received a call about it you might check on your order. It's not a bad deal, I got a call last week and they scheduled a time for me to come in and get it. No lines for this nerd guy.

That's pretty cool. I don't ever bother with this because my local corporate store doesn't understand that setting an appointment means that people don't want to sit around and wait. I used to set appointments and when I would get there they would have me wait 30+ minutes like everyone else anyways because "they got there before me and it wasn't fair to the customers" or some bullshit excuse (mind you, this can from the store manager).

Sorry, felt the need to rant about that...

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

poo poo, you just gave me the idea. Going to give it a whirl in a moment, but I will need to figure out how. There wasn't an HDMI adapter with the phone, so I don't know of any way to get it to my TV.
I guess you have to buy the MicroUSB->HDMI adapter separately then.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Okay, this is what it says:

Since I am using my Resident Evil umbrella today that rocks.

big mean giraffe posted:

Only thing I could think of is if the screen is better. Many reviews said that the 3D, while a great screen overall, lacks in comparison to other qHD screens they have seen, and some hazard a guess it was because of the 3D.

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Can't even get 4G in my house, but loving the 3D so far. Except for the actual 3D part of the 3D. Fastest I've ever gotten a headache.

This why I say gently caress Sony and their push for 3D gaming. 3D is nice everyone once and awhile, but I don't need that headache. Thankfully you don't have to use the 3D part, but still I wish this new fascination with 3D would just go away.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 23, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

hotsauce posted:

Obviously carriers and coverage vary by location, but I'd take WiMAX over AT&T's fake 4G HSPA+ any day of the week. While I certainly would love 4G (whatever the technology) to blanket my city and work anywhere including indoors, I don't mind not having it in my house. I use WiFi at home and at work which is even faster so it doesn't bother me that much.

This has already been commented on, but it's not WiMAX that's responsible for poor penetration, it's the 2.5ghz frequency. People think Verizon's 4G is so much better at penetration because it's LTE, but it's because it runs at 700mhz. Between Sprint freeing up the 800mhz Nextel spectrum and the deal with Lightsquare, it's looking more and more that WiMAX really was just a stopgap measure for Sprint to get 4G out there first. If that's the case I'm fine with it.

900ftjesus posted:

The 5MP on the 3D should actually take better pictures than an 8MP with a camera that small.

I thought about this as well and I don't see a 5mp camera instead of 8mp as a huge loss. I know traditionally more megapixels on the same size sensor means more noise and poorer quality in general, but does it really make much of a difference with phones and sensors this small? I've seen comparison pics between the EVO 4G and 3D. The 4G has what looks like better color saturation but the 3D is sharper. I'd be curious to see a comparison between the 3D and Sensation.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I thought about this as well and I don't see a 5mp camera instead of 8mp as a huge loss. I know traditionally more megapixels on the same size sensor means more noise and poorer quality in general, but does it really make much of a difference with phones and sensors this small? I've seen comparison pics between the EVO 4G and 3D. The 4G has what looks like better color saturation but the 3D is sharper. I'd be curious to see a comparison between the 3D and Sensation.

I never was really impressed with the EVO 4G camera and I quickly learn that megapixels didn't mean poo poo when my friend's iPhone pictures looked better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Wow, coming from a hero to this is complete insanity. I knew the hero was a shitpile, but using the 3d puts it in a whole different shitpile.

I really hope they release that kickstand case soon. I am so afraid my wife is going to have a dumbass attack and ruin hers.