Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

the walkin dude posted:

Douchecanoe encounter yesterday, in a no in-lane passing state. Unsettled me, on the way into work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SJ5GMIWT9c

Honestly, that was your own fault. Your lane position was poo poo.

It's a big problem in places like Germany where I used to live - the scooter riders ride their scooters like they are bicycles.. Timidly, at the shoulder. Sometimes on the sidewalks.

Own your loving lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ola posted:

I agree on diesel.

On that note, I want a diesel bike so bad. I love my mother's BMW 335D, it's pretty goddamn quick with a chip (knocks on the door of 12's, but not quite there) and it gets 30mpg combined real world.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

While I love diesel in cars, I'd like to ride turbodiesel before I'm anything but skeptical. Torque schmorque, it will be heavy with complex fuelling and piping and a narrow powerband.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Saga posted:

It's basically just grass. Not really very disgusting unless something's badly wrong with the horse.

So if I ate nothing but legumes for a week, you'd be ok with me taking a dump in your drive? maybe mixing it with some rain water and flicking it all over your bike? It's poo poo, regardless of it's exact composition.

quote:

I haven't had any issues with crashing on horse poo, even in Surrey. People driving diesels would be a better target I would have thought?

I haven't had any crashes on it before either but I've had some near misses. we have a lot of small lanes with tight, blind corners. It's bad enough just trying to avoid shitheads speeding the other way.

quote:

People driving diesels would be a better target I would have thought?

People driving badly maintained vehicles of any type get my hackles up, diesel is definitely a bigger problem than horse poo poo, but we can solve the problem of horse poo poo by not walking horses on the road or making those that do responsible for the mess they create. If you walk any other pet you are responsible for cleaning up after it, but not horses, the SUV of domestic animals.

quote:

Also, I think if you asked a horse, they might point out their ancestors were using the highways and byways long before anyone invented the motorcar and decided to cover the roads in tarmac, thus forcing them to poo on a hard surface.

I don't really give a poo poo what their ancestors did, it's 2011 and they're not being used as transportation now.

quote:

Remember that while we do have roads only for motor vehicles (called...motorways)

You might, I have to commute on these roads.

quote:

If we're going to have strict rules about being perfectly respectful of other road users' preferences, presumably there could be no objection to, for example, reducing rural speed limits to 10 or 20mph, thus ensuring that cyclists, pedestrians and riders don't get strafed / run over by errant car drivers.

quote:

cyclists, unicyclists, cartwheelists

Don't spook, don't poo poo in the road.

quote:

Swings and roundabouts I fear!

No, pretty clear cut. Horse riders are the only road user who cannot be held accountable for the mess they leave on the roads, which we all have to use.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
edit: I am retarded

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 22, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Will take ages to sort out the pics, off to work soon. Here's two quick previews.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Backov posted:

Honestly, that was your own fault. Your lane position was poo poo.

It's a big problem in places like Germany where I used to live - the scooter riders ride their scooters like they are bicycles.. Timidly, at the shoulder. Sometimes on the sidewalks.

Own your loving lane.

They do that in Denmark as well, it leads to a ridiculous amount of dangerous situations involving cars.

Obviously the 30kph limited scooters (used to be mopeds) just ride on the bike paths like they're supposed to and otherwise act completely like bicycles. Most people who ride these are 16-18 years old (too young for a driver's license) or are older but don't have a license. So they ride them like motorized bicycles, which is precisely what 30kph scooters are according to the law. Like bicycles, this limits interaction with other motorized vehicles since they generally stay in their own lanes.

The problem lies with 45kph scooters, since they're an odd mixture of car and motorcycle, at least in a legal sense. They're obviously limited to 45kph, but you need a car or motorcycle license to ride one, but no training is required apart from having to have a license. So you get a whole bunch of people who haven't ridden a bicycle in 25 years, let alone any sort of motorized 2-wheeled vehicle, suddenly deciding to get on a scooter and expecting it to be exactly the same as driving a car.

They have no concept of countersteering, leaning in corners, how to handle wet manhole covers, gravel and other low-friction surfaces and no sense of required safety equipment at all.

To top this off, the scooters a too slow for even inner-city traffic where most people go at least 50kph and they're too timid to own their lanes. It's a loving mess.

EDIT: Of course, having borrowed a 45kph scooter from a friend and ridden it in traffic, I can tell you that owning your lane can be problematic as well when you have 10-12 cars on your tail, honking and flashing and out for your blood because you're slowing them down. To do that every single day for your commute takes balls of steel.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 22, 2011

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

hayden. posted:

I'm not saying this to just be a dick, but why are you so far over to the right of the lane? The guy was probably confused thinking you wanted him to pass, especially since your blinker was likely on.

I was stopped just before the beginning of this video, it was heavy traffic and I usually don't stop in the middle of the lane but rather to the right next to the curb. So people don't rear-end me. My blinker was on. If you look closely I was drifting to the left as I approached my turn.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

the walkin dude posted:

I was stopped just before the beginning of this video, it was heavy traffic and I usually don't stop in the middle of the lane but rather to the right next to the curb. So people don't rear-end me. My blinker was on. If you look closely I was drifting to the left as I approached my turn.

Why would being on the right make it less likely to be hit from the rear? It makes you less visible and only encourages people to try to share a lane with you or buzz you. I try to stay near the left center of the lane to discourage that kind of crap.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
cuz of stupid poo poo like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7D0BTyJBeM and I like resting my right foot on the curb.

nevertheless, the driver was stupid to do that when I had a HD camera glaringly perched on the top of my head.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Crayvex posted:

Why would being on the right make it less likely to be hit from the rear? It makes you less visible and only encourages people to try to share a lane with you or buzz you. I try to stay near the left center of the lane to discourage that kind of crap.

If your not the first person in line sitting in far left/right in the lane gives you a escape route if the rear end in a top hat behind you decides they don't want to stop.

If I'm at the front of the line at a light I'll sit near the middle (watch out for oil/diesel) otherwise I'm off to the side enough that I have a clear escape route.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

If your not the first person in line sitting in far left/right in the lane gives you a escape route if the rear end in a top hat behind you decides they don't want to stop.

If I'm at the front of the line at a light I'll sit near the middle (watch out for oil/diesel) otherwise I'm off to the side enough that I have a clear escape route.

I sit far left but not so far as to make the cage behind me think he can share the lane with me. Riding in the far right when coming to an intersection is just going to encourage the behavior that we just saw. :smith:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Don't they teach lane positioning in the MSF courses? They do in the ones in BC. It's one of the most important things you can learn.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

http://www.motorcyclebasics.com/lane-position.html

quote:

Diagram 1.1 illustrates that a lane can be divided in to 3 mini-lanes, left (A), middle (B) and right (C). Which part of the lane should a rider be in? Position (A) or the (blocking position) would be the best choice most of the time. I say most of the time because, sometimes the situation may call for a rider to chose another part of a lane (B) or (C) for short periods of time. It gives the best opportunity for a rider to see as well as be seen by other vehicles.

I do not recommend riding in the middle part of the lane because that is the area where a lot of debris tends to gather, also that is usually where you will find oil, coolant and other slick fluids that are deposited from cars and trucks.

As for position (C) the drawbacks are that the rider may not be visible to other drivers, as well as it might encourage other drivers to try and share your lane and shown in Diagram 1.1A. Where the driver of the blue car attempts to pass the rider in the same lane, which could force the rider off the road.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

No, pretty clear cut. Horse riders are the only road user who cannot be held accountable for the mess they leave on the roads, which we all have to use.

It seems to me you're steadfastly ignoring the fact that your own use of the roads imposes costs and risks on other people, including people who don't ride motorcycles or, for that matter, drive cars.

The fact that those costs don't come in the form of you stopping to poop in the middle of the road doesn't make them less real or less dangerous to others. This would seem to be treating your own category of use as specially privileged and everyone else's as secondary to it.

I'm not attempting to be snarky and clearly if you're convinced of this there's little point having an argument about it.

It does seem to me however that as motorcyclists, it's not a very tenable position if one is concerned about intellectual consistency.

What do you say to a Clarkson who asks you why all bikes should not be required to comply with Euro 5 passenger car standards or be banned from our roads? Or who reads out pretty much any relevant set of accident and injury statistics and asks why we should be allowed to impose those costs on the health care system?

It would be a perfectly rational response to say, for example: motorcycles and cars are not the same thing, and the costs they impose on society manifest themselves differently and have a complex interdependency, therefore simply identifying a type of harm for which motorcycles appear more burdensome than cars is not helpful, and the costs and benefits of each are better assessed in aggregate, with the understanding that there may also be valid social reasons to permit a more costly use to co-exist with a less costly one, and that the privileging of one use above another, both subjectively (in terms of normative value) and objectively (for example, road design and construction or traffic law), may itself lead to conditions which exaggerate the advantages of one and the disadvantages of the other.

If one is going to deny that line of argument to horse riders or to cyclists and pedestrians, it's pretty tough to use it to excuse the sins of motorcycling and expect to convince anyone other than ourselves.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Good link - shows exactly what they teach in BC. Pretty important poo poo.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

the walkin dude posted:

cuz of stupid poo poo like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7D0BTyJBeM and I like resting my right foot on the curb.

nevertheless, the driver was stupid to do that when I had a HD camera glaringly perched on the top of my head.

If you're sitting in the driver's side wheel 'rut' (ie, the left side of the lane), you're directly in front of the driver's vision (assuming a country where we drive on the right) and stand a much better chance of being seen. You should nearly always be in the left.

Monday night when I was riding home from work, I pulled into our subdivision, and came upon what I thought was a dead long leaf. Maybe something from a tropical plant. As I got to it, I realized at the last second it was a snake! I braced for the sickening feel of it under my tires, but nothing - I must have missed it by a portion of an inch. I looked in mirror and the thing was heading back for the grass like HOLY poo poo! :supaburn:

Whew! :unsmith: I would have felt terrible.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 22, 2011

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Is the argument really whether horse poo poo is something we should be cool with big piles of in the road everywhere? Because it's not. Yes horses should be able to use the roads, sure, but god drat don't leave huge slimy slippery piles of poo poo where motorcycles are navigating.

I'm against anybody that leaves slippery hazards on the roadway, no matter the method. Just because you loved The Black Stallion when you were a kid doesn't make horse poo poo cool.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Saga posted:

If one is going to deny that line of argument to horse riders or to cyclists and pedestrians, it's pretty tough to use it to excuse the sins of motorcycling and expect to convince anyone other than ourselves.

The safety aspect isn't even half of it for me. I just think it's loving disgusting.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I sit to the left generally, will keep an eye on my mirrors when I'm stopped (not like I really have much else to look at), that keeps me directly in line of sight of any drivers, while still being that much closer to safety if they don't stop.

The big thing when you're not the first person in line is to stop far enough back that you can comfortably gun the throttle and drop into the split in case someone tries to rear end you. Whenever you're slowing, you should be taking a moment to check and monitor your mirrors. If you don't have time to do that, generally you should be increasing your following distance or braking earlier.

On the horse poo poo debate...why is it acceptable for anyone to leave poo poo in the road?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Doctor Zero posted:

SNAKE! :supaburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic0ZzSQNHNA

I agree that it's odd to allow anyone to leave literal and figurative poo poo on the road. But unfortunately, loads of rich people ride horses and have lots of lobbying power, so you're extremely unlikely to see laws requiring all horse riders to carry oversized pooper-scoopers and trash bags everywhere.

Then again, if you ride to the left side of the lane and horse riders generally ride to the right side, you'll avoid most of it ;)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KozmoNaut posted:

Then again, if you ride to the left side of the lane and horse riders generally ride to the right side, you'll avoid most of it ;)

What about getting rear ended by a horse :ohdear:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Saga posted:

It seems to me you're steadfastly ignoring the fact that your own use of the roads imposes costs and risks on other people, including people who don't ride motorcycles or, for that matter, drive cars.

The fact that those costs don't come in the form of you stopping to poop in the middle of the road doesn't make them less real or less dangerous to others. This would seem to be treating your own category of use as specially privileged and everyone else's as secondary to it.

I'm not attempting to be snarky and clearly if you're convinced of this there's little point having an argument about it.

It does seem to me however that as motorcyclists, it's not a very tenable position if one is concerned about intellectual consistency.

What do you say to a Clarkson who asks you why all bikes should not be required to comply with Euro 5 passenger car standards or be banned from our roads? Or who reads out pretty much any relevant set of accident and injury statistics and asks why we should be allowed to impose those costs on the health care system?

It would be a perfectly rational response to say, for example: motorcycles and cars are not the same thing, and the costs they impose on society manifest themselves differently and have a complex interdependency, therefore simply identifying a type of harm for which motorcycles appear more burdensome than cars is not helpful, and the costs and benefits of each are better assessed in aggregate, with the understanding that there may also be valid social reasons to permit a more costly use to co-exist with a less costly one, and that the privileging of one use above another, both subjectively (in terms of normative value) and objectively (for example, road design and construction or traffic law), may itself lead to conditions which exaggerate the advantages of one and the disadvantages of the other.

No one is going to argue about this with you anymore, I don't even know what you're going on about but I think it's been made clear we just don't want stuff in the road regardless of what it is or who put it there. If you want to keep having a debate with yourself by all means...

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
For the record I actually like horses and horse riding, but I understand that the road is no place for them, like SS trackbikes with GP exhausts, they want to be in their correct element; Which isn't getting stressed out trying to navigate hard tarmac roads with limited grip shared by vehicles with noisy ICE engines.

Z3n posted:

What about getting rear ended by a horse :ohdear:

Be grateful? Some people have to travel to states and countries where it's legal to indulge in that kind of fetish. Wait, wh

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Be grateful? Some people have to travel to states and countries where it's legal to indulge in that kind of fetish. Wait, wh

Scotland?

I actually like trail riding too but I have no idea what would compel you to try and ride a horse on the road. If your horse is anything but bomb proof you're just asking for trouble.

Then again, I was recently told a story about a guy who kept a horse as a jogging partner. He'd go for 20 mile runs with the horse just following behind him. :psyduck:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

Scotland?

Washington :science:

I guess it's illegal now, thanks to Mr. Hands.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Z3n posted:

Then again, I was recently told a story about a guy who kept a horse as a jogging partner. He'd go for 20 mile runs with the horse just following behind him. :psyduck:
Nobody's going to gently caress with the dude being followed by a horse on his jog.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

frozenphil posted:

Nobody's going to gently caress with the dude being followed by a horse on his jog.

What would be more impressive is someone going out on their ninja 250 for rides, and being followed by a horse, especially if it could keep up.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

What would be more impressive is someone going out on their ninja 250 for rides, and being followed by a horse, especially if it could keep up.

It would be impressive if the 250 could keep up.

Edit: :q:

karms fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 22, 2011

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

KARMA! posted:

You mean the 250?

Hah! Caught it for posterity. Apparently I am *not* crazy.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Bikes make idiosyncratic noises... I've noticed my vstar kind of sounds like a Jetson's car. The gear-driven balancers make kind of a "weeweeweeweewee" noise as I go down the road.

My friend's Buell with the Drummer muffler sounds like a P-47 Thunderbolt, executing evasive maneuvers.

The wife's BMW R bike... sounds like a sewing machine.

What does your bike sound like? [catch: for the purposes of this discussion, it can't sound like a bike!]

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Bikes make idiosyncratic noises... I've noticed my vstar kind of sounds like a Jetson's car. The gear-driven balancers make kind of a "weeweeweeweewee" noise as I go down the road.

My friend's Buell with the Drummer muffler sounds like a P-47 Thunderbolt, executing evasive maneuvers.

What does your bike sound like? [catch: for the purposes of this discussion, it can't sound like a bike!]

A wheelie.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
The superduke makes the sound that you imagine a bull would make if it could roar in a crowded stadium full of rodeo comboys if that makes sense?

The 900ss also is a roaring sounds much like the male leader of a lion pack roars acrass the savannah.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I like to think it sounds like a GAU-8 sometimes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eD_Lo61rAw&feature=player_detailpage#t=82s

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

What does your bike sound like?

To me it's like saying what does an animal sound like. It has so many different layers. It talks to me.

I just had a nice interaction with the police coming home from work. The police car was in a lane heading for tunnel A, I was just behind in a lane heading for tunnel B. Coming over a bridge, we could see that tunnel A was closed for road works. Instead of going in the direction of the normal detour, the police car waits for me and gets in my lane. poo poo I thought, he changed his mind on where he wanted to go, he's interested in me. Got the cop jitters, did I pay my insurance, are any bulbs out, am I speeding?

He hung back a good distance and I wasn't speeding so stopped thinking about it. Then the car infront of me starts swerving and bounces the tires off the curb. He goes straight for a while, then does the same again. I slide over to the left lane, look back at the cop, wave him towards me and point at the erratic car. He took the cue right away, maybe saw his first swerves and gave me a few hazard light flashes as he passed for thanks. He trailed the swerver a little bit before putting on his lights and pulling him over.

Drunk driver nailed, yay! (it's penalized very hard here) Me not nailed, yay! (irrational I know) Witness protection program, yay! (I'm a snitch now)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Massive study on motorcycle accidents: http://www.maids-study.eu/

You need to register to read it, no big deal. This guy has posted some excerpts. http://toshiclark.xanga.com/750789356/maids-report/

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

clutchpuck posted:

At idle: like a heavy-duty popcorn machine

At speed: like a very large, very angry bumblebee in a tin coffee can

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My KTM, like all LC4s sounds like a chain driven paint shaker.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I used to live near a carpentry and they had a lovely old gas powered forklift and I swear to god my first reaction to when they started unloading wood was always "is someone stealing my klr?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

At idle: like a heavy-duty popcorn machine

At speed: like a very large, very angry bumblebee in a tin coffee can

All 600SS bikes

At idle: old desktop computer in a subwoofer box.

At speed: Ultra high horsepower hi-tech chainsaw.

Husky 450 - gasoline powered weedwacker all the time