Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Funktor posted:

Well, I know all that (except for the drop-down lists). Here's the issue:

They don't have the same workers day-to-day. If they enter in the daily information that they get on the invoices, is there a way to combine that information nicely? In other words, if Jerry works Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday at three different companies, the enter in his daily information, and then when they go to concatenate the info for the whole week, they alphabetize by name, and now Jerry's got three lines. If they want to make it so that he's only got one line, is there some way to do that automatically, or do they have to manually copy & paste the info from those three lines onto one?

This is why I was wondering if some other software would do the job better.

And yeah, it seems simple to me too, but somehow explaining =SUM(A1:A4) to my mother took 20 minutes. She knows it now, but still...

I'm not sure Excel is the right tool for the task, but this particular instance might be taken care of with the sumif (or sumifs) function. As the name implies, it sums things together only if they match a certain criteria.

As an example, take column A as the names of each person, and column B as hours worked (or pay). If C2 is "Jerry", set D2 as =sumif(A:A,C2,B:B). This will sum together all the values in B where the adjacent value in A is "Jerry". You can repeat this down the line for all the employees. And there's no need to alphabetize either list!

Unfortunately, your problem with Excel will be figuring out how to automate each of their tasks. This will be especially difficult if your parents are the ones writing the script, as they'll need a strong grasp of several excel functions.

If you do stick with excel, my favorite functions for automating data processing like this are:
  • sumif/sumifs and count/countifs
  • vlookup and hlookup
  • match and offset (use the match as an argument to offset as a more versatile version of vlookup)
Also, it's not a function, but using dropdown lists to limit cell inputs rather than re-typing (or copy/paste) can make sure that these function work reliably.

Unfortunately, these are moderately advanced functions and can quickly balloon into ridiculously long and complicated cells. If you or your parents aren't feeling up to it, you should probably look around for real timekeeping software. I don't really have any suggestions there, sadly.

Edit: Feel free to PM me for specific questions.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

fishmech posted:

The easiest way, but also longest way, to do this would be to move all those folders out to either a FAT32 or exFAT drive (thus wiping all permissions) and copying it back to your drives with your user account to completely reset permissions.
Thanks for the input but :negative: ...hell I can't even think of a car analogy ;)

Factor Mystic posted:

Get the security correct on the topmost directory, then Properties -> Security, 'Advanced', 'Change Permissions', Check 'Replace all child object permissions...' and hit okay. Do this once per drive (NOT your OS drive). For example you can delete all the user accounts listed there except your current one (or the Users group) and that'll reset everything.
Thanks for that.

WorkingStiff posted:

Factor Mystic speaks the truth. You can also do it from the command line.

Type cmd in the search field. Right click and select 'Run as Administrator'.
Type takeown /f drive letter. Hit enter.
Type icacls drive letter /grant yourusername:f. Hit enter.
Rinse and repeat.
Thank you, too - I tried it this way and found out that takeown needs the /r parameter and icacls /t (both there to make the actions work recursively)

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Thanks for the help everybody! My wife and I programmed an excel template that my folks should be able to use.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Hey, is it a bad idea to still be using Outlook 2002 on a Windows 7 machine? Are there any known exploits that should make me run far away from this software or should I be good?

notMordecai
Mar 4, 2007

Gay Boy Suicide Pact?
Sucking Dick For Satan??

I have a quick question since this is my very first time doing this as well as being slightly confused from an answer in the OP.

I am building a computer from parts from Newegg with a bare 500GB drive. An OEM version is just a version you get when you buy a build from a store, correct? I was just wondering because Newegg sells OEMs and full versions.

So in this case, I would have to buy a full version, right?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

notMordecai posted:

I am building a computer from parts from Newegg with a bare 500GB drive. An OEM version is just a version you get when you buy a build from a store, correct? I was just wondering because Newegg sells OEMs and full versions.
OEM vs. retail for hard drives? OEM is just the bare drive in an ESD-safe container. Usually the warranty is shorter than retail drives, and you'll also miss out on a retail box, SATA cable (redundant), imaging and diagnostics software, and sometimes a molex->SATA power adapter.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm getting ready to finally give my GF her new netbook, and I'm trying to think of any other security/make-computer-run-well programs to install. I have MSE and Malwarebytes for security, CCleaner for...well, cleaning, Secunia PSI for tracking updates and HDGraph to give her an easy way to check out her hard disk's components. Anything else a Mac -> Windows convert might want?
Also, does anyone happen to have a link to the last good freeware games thread around here?

EDIT: Found a pair of freeware threads (archives needed)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 24, 2011

cs25230
Jun 13, 2005
You can try Microsoft's Enhanced Mitigation Experience 2.0 if you're that paranoid.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

I'm getting ready to finally give my GF her new netbook, and I'm trying to think of any other security/make-computer-run-well programs to install. I have MSE and Malwarebytes for security, CCleaner for...well, cleaning, Secunia PSI for tracking updates and HDGraph to give her an easy way to check out her hard disk's components. Anything else a Mac -> Windows convert might want?
Also, does anyone happen to have a link to the last good freeware games thread around here?

I'd totally forgotten about this thread, guess it never really grew that big. Some good recommendations though.

Eric WK
Apr 10, 2008

i'm a festival,
i'm a parade.
So I just made a really dumb mistake. I was purchasing a student upgrade to Windows 7 Professional through Digital River and accidentally purchased the 32-bit version rather than the 64-bit version. =/

Support looks like it's going to be a major pain in the rear end and probably not very helpful. Should the product key I was given for the 32-bit purchase work if I use a 64-bit install?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Eric WK posted:

Should the product key I was given for the 32-bit purchase work if I use a 64-bit install?

Yes, product keys are independent of bit version.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Funktor posted:

Well, I know all that (except for the drop-down lists). Here's the issue:

They don't have the same workers day-to-day. If they enter in the daily information that they get on the invoices, is there a way to combine that information nicely? In other words, if Jerry works Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday at three different companies, the enter in his daily information, and then when they go to concatenate the info for the whole week, they alphabetize by name, and now Jerry's got three lines. If they want to make it so that he's only got one line, is there some way to do that automatically, or do they have to manually copy & paste the info from those three lines onto one?

This is why I was wondering if some other software would do the job better.

And yeah, it seems simple to me too, but somehow explaining =SUM(A1:A4) to my mother took 20 minutes. She knows it now, but still...

This sounds like it might be a job for pivot tables. It's amazing how easily you can get Excel to summarize information with them.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Green Puddin posted:

Hey, is it a bad idea to still be using Outlook 2002 on a Windows 7 machine? Are there any known exploits that should make me run far away from this software or should I be good?

Microsoft is still releasing security updates for Office XP, although the last patch for Outlook was released last year.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm experimenting with slipstreaming updates into a Windows install image. What's the preferred method for downloading the update files? There's a program called Windows Updates Downloaded that will get them all from Microsoft, but their lists of necessary downloads haven't been updated in over a year, and doesn't have anything at all for Win7 or 2008. Is there a better tool for this now?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

stubblyhead posted:

I'm experimenting with slipstreaming updates into a Windows install image. What's the preferred method for downloading the update files? There's a program called Windows Updates Downloaded that will get them all from Microsoft, but their lists of necessary downloads haven't been updated in over a year, and doesn't have anything at all for Win7 or 2008. Is there a better tool for this now?

Don't want to crap on your idea, but unless it's some specific update that's a deal breaker, always found it easier to just slipstream to the latest service pack and deal with any other updates from there.

Updates gets superseded/replaced often enough that your image is out of date pretty fast.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I'm getting this error whenever I try to open up the file explorer from the taskbar

It then does not let me open the window. Needless to say I'm a bit scared, not being able to open the explorer is a fairly significant windows glitch. What the hell is going on.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 23, 2011

The Sweetling
May 13, 2005

BOOMSHAKALAKA
Fun Shoe
Besides drivers, what else will I need to reinstall after doing an upgrade/repair installation? Do I risk losing my poo poo?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

I'm experimenting with slipstreaming updates into a Windows install image... Is there a better tool for this now?

I have one USB with all the versions of Win7 SP1 and one USB which I keep synced with WSUS Offline. Updates and patches are so frequent, I gave up trying to keep an image handy because in a month it will be out of date.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I'm getting this error whenever I try to open up the file explorer from the taskbar

It then does not let me open the window. Needless to say I'm a bit scared, not being able to open the explorer is a fairly significant windows glitch. What the hell is going on.
Shot in the dark but that looks like the result of some kind of malware/trojan.

Try and do a repair.

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah it's a lot like that.
This is about the Indexing Service. We have a Win2k8 R2 server that's doing the file sharing on our network. We're getting into areas where Win7 doesn't like using the server drive space because it's not indexed. I know there's a significant performance hit during indexing, but doesn't that go away once the initial indexing is done?

It's not constantly chowing HDD and CPU in order to index is it? I'm 90% sure this isn't the case.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
Is the general consensus to avoid codec packs? Is it better just grabbing ffdshow tryouts and Haali?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

permanoob posted:

This is about the Indexing Service. We have a Win2k8 R2 server that's doing the file sharing on our network. We're getting into areas where Win7 doesn't like using the server drive space because it's not indexed. I know there's a significant performance hit during indexing, but doesn't that go away once the initial indexing is done?

It's not constantly chowing HDD and CPU in order to index is it? I'm 90% sure this isn't the case.

You're correct. Once it's done indexing you're golden. Note that some people still say that have problems with it eating their megahertz, but I've never seen a problem with it.

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Is the general consensus to avoid codec packs? Is it better just grabbing ffdshow tryouts and Haali?

Yes.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'm looking for a video editing program slightly more advanced than Windows Movie Maker.

I tried the trial of Vegas, but it was way way too complicated right off the bat. I like detail, but not thrown at me right from the beginning...

Any recommendations?

What I use this for: basically slightly editing (i.e. adding titles), and then converting .avi's captured by Fraps to something smaller. Good example is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfTzbrGsP_0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CCyzrB3qJA

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I was interested in that too, there are so many great open source content creation packages (like Blender) but there didn't seem to be any advanced video editing suites, on Windows at least.

Anyhow I haven't used it but this looks interesting
http://www.lightworksbeta.com/
Apparently it's a professional editor that's been used for a lot of big movies like Pulp Fiction and The Departed, and a company bought it up to release it as open source. Worth a crack

EDIT oh you said Vegas was a bit much... what is it about Windows Movie Maker that doesn't do it for you?

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 25, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Pinnacle Studio HD? Adobe Premiere Elements? You can do a trial of Elements, not sure about PSHD.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
There is a problem with my wife's laptop. It is a Sony Vaio that runs Windows XP. A few weeks ago, she installed an update for Norton antivirus software. After installation, it asked what type of resources she should use and she clicked "minimal". After that, the system tray disappeared, and the Wireless Networks Tab under the Network Connections area disappeared. She used to be able to connect to our wireless router automatically, but now even that is impossible.

She called Norton, but all they said was to call our ISP (which as far as I can tell doesn't make sense since that wouldn't affect the system tray and Wireless Networks tab). I've tried going into msconfig and ensuring that the Wireless Zero Configuration is running, which it seems to be, but there is no connection. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Uninstall everything Norton and install MSE. Norton fucks your poo poo up.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Steakandchips posted:

I'm looking for a video editing program slightly more advanced than Windows Movie Maker.

I tried the trial of Vegas, but it was way way too complicated right off the bat. I like detail, but not thrown at me right from the beginning...

Any recommendations?

What I use this for: basically slightly editing (i.e. adding titles), and then converting .avi's captured by Fraps to something smaller.

I am also interested in this. Normally WMM would work fine with me, but I'm using an HD format (MPEG-2 stream) that WMM doesn't support.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

This looks like some sort of file or memory corruption (it's showing two function names there, sounds like a NULL got replaced which caused it to read it wrong).

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I can't seem to get my Thinkpad Power Manager to show up in the taskbar. I'm only getting the Windows battery icon.

The Power Manager software is installed and "show battery icon in taskbar" is checked. Any ideas? This is on a new x220 with Windows 7 Professional x64 if it makes a difference.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

GreenNight posted:

Yeah. A virus will ruin your computer some of the time. Norton ruins your computer all of the time.

MSE is great - use it.

nbv4
Aug 21, 2002

by Duchess Gummybuns
I only boot into windows 7 once every few weeks, but whenever I do, the hard drive for SOME reason constantly chugs. Its that scrubbing sound that your computer makes when it's doing heavy disk reading. Its like theres some kind of process thats running in the background that is constantly reading my files or something. The only way to stop it is to boot back into linux. How do I stop this? At first I thought it was the 'search files' indexer thing that XP had, but I don't think it's that. According to ctrl-shift-esc there is nothing that is look suspicious. How can I troubleshoot this?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Start -> Run -> type "Resource Monitor" and run it, then go to the Disk tab.

It may be indexing, or it may be an antivirus scan. Most A/V will auto-scan once a week, and will immediately update themselves and rescan if they notice they've missed the time.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out
I'm waiting on a new SSD to arrive. I plan on reinstalling Win7 Professional when it gets here. Is there any place I can download the Win 7 SP1 installer legitimately so I can put it on a USB drive? I have a copy of Win 7 without SP1 on a DVD, I don't want to reinstall all the updates after I install the operating system. I checked the OP and the links were not valid.

HelfMyselp
Nov 2, 2004

Dude, check it. It's a trash can. And a rollerblade.

Now shovel some cheese curls into my trash hole...

agentq posted:

I'm waiting on a new SSD to arrive. I plan on reinstalling Win7 Professional when it gets here. Is there any place I can download the Win 7 SP1 installer legitimately so I can put it on a USB drive? I have a copy of Win 7 without SP1 on a DVD, I don't want to reinstall all the updates after I install the operating system. I checked the OP and the links were not valid.
I imagine you're looking for the ~900MB or so SP1 installer? Try here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda&displaylang=en

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

HelfMyselp posted:

I imagine you're looking for the ~900MB or so SP1 installer? Try here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda&displaylang=en

I'm looking for a Win7 installer with the SP1 improvements already integrated...

HelfMyselp
Nov 2, 2004

Dude, check it. It's a trash can. And a rollerblade.

Now shovel some cheese curls into my trash hole...

agentq posted:

I'm looking for a Win7 installer with the SP1 improvements already integrated...
Oh, disc image. My mistake! :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

agentq posted:

You'll need someone with technet/msdn access to snag it for you, or get it some other way. I don't think there's an easy microsoft sanctioned slipstream method at the moment (yes, you can do it with WAIK, but I wouldn't call that easy).

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

GreenNight posted:

Thanks. We ended up uninstalling everything Norton, but now it's even more screwed up. It won't read CDs, (when I try to force it to with the run command, it says there's nothing in the drive, and when I try to use the command prompt screen to switch to the CD, it says device not ready). There's nothing in the device manager and it can't read flashdrives or any USB devices. Any clue what's going on or is the computer just dead now? I can't even transfer microsoft fixes from this computer to her computer now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Maneki Neko posted:

You'll need someone with technet/msdn access to snag it for you, or get it some other way. I don't think there's an easy microsoft sanctioned slipstream method at the moment (yes, you can do it with WAIK, but I wouldn't call that easy).

I tried downloading the win7 iso from the digitalriver site even though it's been more than 30 days and it worked.

Can I just put the iso file on a thumbdrive and boot from that? Or do I need to do some special prep...