Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Used the 3D a bunch last night. Showed my girlfriend the phone, and while Sense 3.0 blew her away, she thought it was pretty similar to the Evo 4G, so I showed her the 3D camera. She got really excited, which is unusual because neither of us cares much about 3D stuff. But we started goofing around taking 3D pictures of our cats and 3D videos where she rolled a volleyball towards the camera, stuff like that.

She went from "oh that's neat I guess" to "holy crap this is awesome" because of that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

td4guy posted:

I guess you have to buy the MicroUSB->HDMI adapter separately then.

MHL adapter actually.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Used the 3D a bunch last night. Showed my girlfriend the phone, and while Sense 3.0 blew her away, she thought it was pretty similar to the Evo 4G, so I showed her the 3D camera. She got really excited, which is unusual because neither of us cares much about 3D stuff. But we started goofing around taking 3D pictures of our cats and 3D videos where she rolled a volleyball towards the camera, stuff like that.

She went from "oh that's neat I guess" to "holy crap this is awesome" because of that...

You had drat well better not live in Omaha.

(We did the same thing, but with matchbox cars instead of a volleyball.)

e: If anyone was on pins and needles about the GREEN HORNET THREE DEE movie, it seems to work.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Anyone have any issues with the news widget? If i try to add it, it goes to the subscriptions screen and doesn't show anything.

Edit: ^^^^ Watched a little green hornet 3d, it looked really really good. Surprised me actually.

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 23, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Heh...the temperature on the weather lockscreen doesn't move over if it's over 100 degrees out. Last night it was claiming that it was 04 degrees outside :v:

Loving this thing so far. Wouldn't have thought that it would feel this much faster than the 4G.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Is it me or is there no flashlight application?

edit: Jesus if you can't notice the increased pixel density get some loving glasses. This thing is sharp.

averox fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 23, 2011

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

averox posted:

edit: Jesus if you can't notice the increased pixel density get some loving glasses. This thing is sharp.

I have been comparing the SAMOLED from my Epic to this and outside of slightly better colors (they "pop" more) I would say I prefer this screen.

Of course the display could be a Fucking gameboy display and I would still take this phone over the Epic.

E: always gotta teach new phones how to cuss.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 23, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I installed Google Voice and have gotten force-closes on the MMS service twice. Hmm.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Can anyone confirm if Netflix works on the 3deez?

I also have a couple HDMI related questions. Has anyone tried a regular micro HDMI cable or adapter like what works with the EVO 4G? I realize it won't charge but I'm curious if it will at least play video through the MHL port. Does the entire device get mirrored to the TV/monitor out of the box, or only specific apps like the 4G?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

The Entire Universe posted:

poo poo, you just gave me the idea. Going to give it a whirl in a moment, but I will need to figure out how. There wasn't an HDMI adapter with the phone, so I don't know of any way to get it to my TV. TV has no wireless (sold separately, gently caress that) so I just have my PS3. Do you think I could route the video through my PS3 via some kind of media server?

You actually can do this. On the phone launch an app called Media Share and set up what it wants you to (server name, etc.). On the PS3 go to video, pictures, or music and boom, there's your phone.

jakeledel
Jul 17, 2003

I just discovered if you hold the camera button down for like half a second the camera app automatically opens.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Can anyone confirm if Netflix works on the 3deez?

I also have a couple HDMI related questions. Has anyone tried a regular micro HDMI cable or adapter like what works with the EVO 4G? I realize it won't charge but I'm curious if it will at least play video through the MHL port. Does the entire device get mirrored to the TV/monitor out of the box, or only specific apps like the 4G?

I am pretty sure MHL is not compatible with USB, they use entirely different standards, even if they use the same connector. So the Evo 3D is probably not wired to output through the USB pins or whatever the microusb to hdmi uses.

jakeledel posted:

I just discovered if you hold the camera button down for like half a second the camera app automatically opens.
This is pretty standard for any phone with a dedicated camera button. I really missed it from the G1, it's nice that HTC is including them again on some stuff.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Both the keyboards on the 3D suck after using Swype 3.0 on the Evo...Anyone had any luck getting that beta installed?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Stevie Lee posted:

Both the keyboards on the 3D suck after using Swype 3.0 on the Evo...Anyone had any luck getting that beta installed?
If it comes preinstalled, you'll need to remove the system apk, then the beta installer will work fine. This will almost certainly require waiting until it's rooted (then it's one click in, eg, TiBackup).

The swype beta does work better than the old version, but I don't see any advantages over flext9 (perhaps the most useful free amazon app I've grabbed).

WoG fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 23, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Of course the display could be a Fucking gameboy display and I would still take this phone over the Epic.
Amsuingly enough I tried playing Castlevania: CotN on GameBoid on my Epic last night, and with the AMOLED screen it's faaaaar better then when I last played it on an original GBA sitting under a spotlight.

So, Epic > Original GBA. Maybe not the backlit GBA SP though.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
So this is kind of weird...since the OTA update, I no longer have the ability to select the dialer option for the weather lockscreen - it disappeared and there doesn't appear to be a way to add it back - from all lockscreens. Anyone see something similar happen?

I looked, no option for "Dialer" or "Phone" in the app shortcut list. There's "Call History", but that's just gonna get annoying. Checked again. Looks like the closest thing to it is "Voice Dialer".

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 23, 2011

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

a shameful boehner posted:

So this is kind of weird...since the OTA update, I no longer have the ability to select the dialer option for the weather lockscreen - it disappeared and there doesn't appear to be a way to add it back. Anyone see something similar happen?

It works for me. Try rebooting the phone (it only takes 15 seconds anyway).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

jakeledel posted:

Is this with the screen off, phone right out of your pocket? Or is this with the phone already unlocked and sitting on the home screen?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

ShowTime posted:

It works for me. Try rebooting the phone (it only takes 15 seconds anyway).

When you say "it works for you", you mean that you ARE able to select "Phone" or "Dialer" as an app option for the homescreen?

\/ - Yes. It was there prior to the OTA update. I installed that, the phone rebooted, then when I went to the lockscreen, the phone/dialer option was gone, and clicking on the icon from the lockscreen customization page does not give me an option for bringing back the dialer.

I mean, it's really not that big a deal, but it's bunk that I can't even put it back on the lockscreen if I wanted to. Where's my dialer option? :(

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 23, 2011

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

When you say "it works for you", you mean that you ARE able to select "Phone" or "Dialer" as an app option for the homescreen?

Are you talking about the weather lockscreen where you click on it and drag it down to the circle to start the phone dialer?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Coming from a palm pre, this phone is ridiculously smooth and lag free. It'll take a while to get used to touchscreen typing, but I'm loving the sheer size of this.

It was kind of pathetic when the evo3d offered to sync with the other phone to pull contacts over bluetooth, and palm wasn't one of the listed manufacturers :V

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 23, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

So this is kind of weird...since the OTA update, I no longer have the ability to select the dialer option for the weather lockscreen - it disappeared and there doesn't appear to be a way to add it back - from all lockscreens. Anyone see something similar happen?

I looked, no option for "Dialer" or "Phone" in the app shortcut list. There's "Call History", but that's just gonna get annoying. Checked again. Looks like the closest thing to it is "Voice Dialer".

This has already been reported on a few of the blogs. A hard reset should bring the dialer back to the lockscreen.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-evo-3ds-pre-launch-update-might-need-update-itself

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Is a hard reset considered powering off entirely, then rebooting? Because I tried that, and it didn't seem to fix it.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
^ No, wipe the phone and start over from scratch.

big mean giraffe posted:

I am pretty sure MHL is not compatible with USB, they use entirely different standards, even if they use the same connector. So the Evo 3D is probably not wired to output through the USB pins or whatever the microusb to hdmi uses.

For some reason I was thinking the port on the E3D could accept MicroUSB or MHL.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I never knew it shouldn't take android ten seconds to answer or hang up a phone call.

I think it's safe to say that the Evo 3D is better than the Hero. (Also, you can have multiple web page tabs open while listening to Pandora, who knew.)

Oh and confirming that the Dialer does go away if you get the update. (But honestly I don't know why you would do a hard reset instead of just not having that shortcut.)

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 23, 2011

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

mastershakeman posted:

Coming from a palm pre, this phone is ridiculously smooth and lag free. It'll take a while to get used to touchscreen typing, but I'm loving the sheer size of this.

It was kind of pathetic when the evo3d offered to sync with the other phone to pull contacts over bluetooth, and palm wasn't one of the listed manufacturers :V

I think it was more because you can't pair with a Pre over bluetooth. My 3D actually saw and tried to pair with the Pre, but it seemed like the Pre shut that down asap.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah, gently caress wiping at this point. I can live with waiting for an update to fix a lockscreen, when it's literally one extra swipe -> phone key press.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

letsgoflyers81 posted:

^ No, wipe the phone and start over from scratch.
But if you wipe the phone are't you really just rolling back the update?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Myrddin Emrys posted:

But if you wipe the phone are't you really just rolling back the update?
You can clear the data without touching the system software.

Yeah, gently caress wiping at this point. I can live with waiting for an update to fix a lockscreen, when it's literally one extra swipe -> phone key press.
At this point? After one day?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

SLOSifl posted:

At this point? After one day?

It's just overreacting, the pre-launch update erased something from a list and the only way to restore it right now would be to wipe I guess? I'm fairly confident we'll get another update before the official launch tomorrow restoring the icon.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Myrddin Emrys posted:

It's just overreacting, the pre-launch update erased something from a list and the only way to restore it right now would be to wipe I guess? I'm fairly confident we'll get another update before the official launch tomorrow restoring the icon.
Probably, yes. But if there's any time to start over, it's probably today. If there isn't an update for a week or more, it will only get harder to do a wipe as time goes on.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

SLOSifl posted:

Probably, yes. But if there's any time to start over, it's probably today. If there isn't an update for a week or more, it will only get harder to do a wipe as time goes on.

But like the guy said, it's one icon, it's not like the dialer isn't working or anything. Replace it with something else, or get Dialer One, problem solved.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Fun Shoe

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
I think it was more because you can't pair with a Pre over bluetooth. My 3D actually saw and tried to pair with the Pre, but it seemed like the Pre shut that down asap.

I was able to import everything from my pre without a problem. You have to hit a "yes" button a few times on the pre though or nothing happens.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
What's the difference between Dialer One and the stock dialer?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

What's the difference between Dialer One and the stock dialer?

Look and feel, maybe? At least if you're talking about the stock HTC dialer. The real stock dialer is missing a lot of features that're in Dialer One (like smart dialing contact names, for example).

snKestren
Jun 25, 2008

Well, I'm not going to touch that Spiderman app now. Try bringing it into a Sprint store early in the morning, when they open, and see if they can't hook it up to their imaging utility (or whatever one would call Odin) and get it running. You'd get your phone back in the state (data-wise) it was when you took it out of the box, but it'll work.

I think the Spiderman app was just a coincidence.

I found another guy online who had the same exact problem with his phone just suddenly dying. Completely bricked. LED light doesn't even turn on when I plug it in. Hopefully it was probably just a bad phone and not indicative of anything.

Phone support was able to "confirm my Premiere account," however, and set up an appointment for a store to look it. I made it this far with WM6.5, another five hours won't kill me.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

snKestren posted:

I think the Spiderman app was just a coincidence.

I found another guy online who had the same exact problem with his phone just suddenly dying. Completely bricked. LED light doesn't even turn on when I plug it in. Hopefully it was probably just a bad phone and not indicative of anything.

Phone support was able to "confirm my Premiere account," however, and set up an appointment for a store to look it. I made it this far with WM6.5, another five hours won't kill me.

Dumb question but did you fully remove the plastic from the battery?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
My evo shift just got forced updated to 2.3. The updater killed my battery stone dead with no warnings. When I'd recharged it I find the update wiped some of my settings, made a couple of apps stop working, and now there is an options menu taking up part of my notifications tray. :saddowns:

snKestren
Jun 25, 2008

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Dumb question but did you fully remove the plastic from the battery?

Yes. The four contacts are completely exposed.

On that note, even though the phone feels completely solid, I always feel like I'm about to break the cover every time I take it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Fun Shoe

snKestren posted:

Yes. The four contacts are completely exposed.

On that note, even though the phone feels completely solid, I always feel like I'm about to break the cover every time I take it off.

Yeah, I felt like this too. One of the clips near the camera buttons just didn't want to come out and I really felt like it was going to crack. It seriously took me a few minutes to get the drat thing off.