Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

HPL posted:

The iPhone is so stealth it's ridiculous. Reasonable quality, totally silent and a common handheld item so it doesn't raise suspicion unless you're really obvious. Great for catching people acting naturally.

Sounds like a cool time and not creepy at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Scabrous Teat posted:

Sounds like a cool time and not creepy at all.
It's what you shoot not how you shoot it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Is this street? I dunno. First time shooting with film (got a free Eos 500 body, so grabbed some Ilford XP2 and my Sigma 50mm 1.4 and went nuts).

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Took this yesterday. Unfortunately didn't get enough in the frame to include the whole group on the left.

Seaport_Girl by bgibb187, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I like this 'cause the original photo was AWFUL, but I was able to salvage it since I was shooting RAW. I shot it from the hip right when the street performer made some snarky comment about me walking behind him. I had been taking pictures in the sun beforehand, so it came out horribly underexposed. Anyone recognize the spot?

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
This is a great thread. My first attempt at street photography.

treble
Feb 14, 2001
Haven't been around in a while, and it's been great to go back through the fast few pages and see all the great shots I missed. There's some real talent on these forums.

I've been working really hard on my street stuff over the last 9 months or so, trying to develop a bit of a style, and would love to hear some constructive criticism.

Here's a bunch of mine from the last few months:

IMG_3501 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3580 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3756 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3815 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3822 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3629 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3716 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3724 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3727 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3983 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_3992 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_5836 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_5876 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_6127 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_6822 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_6823 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_7049 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_7203 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_7392 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_7398 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_7809 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_7745 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_8222 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_8225 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_8276 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_8281 by trebbble, on Flickr

treble fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 3, 2011

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

treble posted:

Photos
I am really enojoying looking through your street shots on flickr.

I particularly like the ones taken at dusk or nightime such as the girl waiting to cross the road, the business people chatting outside with the cleaner inside and the shot of the couple walking down the ally with the graffiti.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I like your use of vignetting treble.

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
I'm going to have to come back here later

sheffield fountain by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

There are phenomenal fountains outside Sheffield station, very strange going back to Sheffield after growing up there in the 80s to find one of the the grimmest places in the UK suddenly transformed into a hang out spot. I'm going to assume Sheffield high street is still depressing though as meadowhall is still full of the most miserable bastards in the world.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Latest stuff.

Started shooting at night and processing in B&W less. Haven't stepped into the thread in a while but treble's stuff is really good.

Posting a whole load. Sorry.

Cold Night by mca88, on Flickr

Dreams by mca88, on Flickr

Reflecting by mca88, on Flickr

Waste by mca88, on Flickr

Locking up my bike by mca88, on Flickr

Button Lady by mca88, on Flickr

Radiohead by mca88, on Flickr

Fuckin Creepy Mannequin by mca88, on Flickr

Shooting Through Windows by mca88, on Flickr

No Training Wheels by mca88, on Flickr

JCP20110502-3 by mca88, on Flickr

Floooooowers by mca88, on Flickr

JCP20110502-2 by mca88, on Flickr

Newtown at Night by mca88, on Flickr

Saying Bye by mca88, on Flickr

Comments here or on flickr would be appreciated. I'm a whore. DWI.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Schofferhofer posted:

No Training Wheels by mca88, on Flickr
This owns.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Schofferhofer posted:

JCP20110502-3 by mca88, on Flickr

This is good.

I'll have a whole slew of stuff to post today once I go through and process everything. Living in NYC is like cheating for street photography.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I have no idea how, but I walked around yesterday and shot everything at ISO 1600. Now I feel like an idiot.

On_The_Phone_WallSt by bgibb187, on Flickr

Boa_BPC by bgibb187, on Flickr

Kebab_Vendor_BPC by bgibb187, on Flickr

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Yeah fuckin NYC would be sweet for street. Doing it here is poo poo most of the time.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
EDIT: Wrong thread.

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

treble posted:

Haven't been around in a while, and it's been great to go back through the fast few pages and see all the great shots I missed. There's some real talent on these forums.

I've been working really hard on my street stuff over the last 9 months or so, trying to develop a bit of a style, and would love to hear some constructive criticism.

Here's a bunch of mine from the last few months:

Love em all. Great great stuff.

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI
Went out shooting in some lane-ways today, mostly graffiti, which is very easy and lazy, but I tried my hand at a few candids which is something I've not really done before and thought I would share.

This is probably my best one, and I've put both the colour and the B&W version. I'm kinda torn as to which I like better, the colour is punchy and bright, but because of the contrast it comes up well in B&W as well.

DSC_4746 - Version 2 by MarneusC, on Flickr

DSC_4746 by MarneusC, on Flickr

Also, Thoogsby, the boa shot is amazing. That's Wall St right? Those guys just look so chill as if it's the most normal thing in the world. Is there a story behind it?

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
I don't think you've really captured anything worth looking at. If you're going to isolate a single subject (instead of a scene) you need to have an interesting subject to work with.

I'm not saying they need to be front and centre looking at the camera, but certainly not looking away half in half out of view. I can't infer anything about the subject and thus cannot create any sort of emotional response.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Medusula posted:

I'm going to have to come back here later

sheffield fountain by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

There are phenomenal fountains outside Sheffield station, very strange going back to Sheffield after growing up there in the 80s to find one of the the grimmest places in the UK suddenly transformed into a hang out spot. I'm going to assume Sheffield high street is still depressing though as meadowhall is still full of the most miserable bastards in the world.

Chesterfield goon here, and you would be bang on the money about Meadowhell. Ahh the annual christmas trip kills me every year :(

Edit: did you find the Big Balls?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The only shot I got in the past two days worth a poo poo..

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 12, 2022

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Some iPhone photos from my trip to Europe:

Rest of set: http://www.mikechow.com/Mike-and-Adelle/Europe-2011/Blog/17267242_Nmzgnr

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
Man, those are some nice shots. It's easy to pass off Hipstamatic/Instagram stuff as cliche, but used in the right context, it more or less owns.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

krackmonkey posted:

Man, those are some nice shots. It's easy to pass off Hipstamatic/Instagram stuff as cliche, but used in the right context, it more or less owns.

It's a matter of the right tool for the job. I have plenty of nice photos that I took with my 40D, but the iPhone was what was on me when I took these photos or I felt that a more film-like high contrast/high saturation type of photo is appropriate for the subject as well as the square format. Shooting with a Rolleiflex and a Kiev 60 has made me more aware of the particulars of composing in square plus shooting black and white film has also helped in learning what works and what doesn't in black and white versus what works in colour.

I also have a few rolls of Tri-X that I shot with an Olympus XA, but I haven't got around to developing them yet.

Incidentally, one like gizmo that served me well for shooting from the hip with a DSLR was a little bubble level that fits in the hotshoe like this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/resin-hot-shoe-bubble-spirit-level-for-dslr-slr-cameras-32978

HPL fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 23, 2011

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

HPL posted:

It's a matter of the right tool for the job. I have plenty of nice photos that I took with my 40D, but the iPhone was what was on me when I took these photos or I felt that a more film-like high contrast/high saturation type of photo is appropriate for the subject as well as the square format.

I don't care what they were done with, they're really nice.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

HPL posted:

Some iPhone photos

I've never wanted an iPhone...until now, I think. Thanks. :colbert:

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Liked how this one came out

Some guy by damnlamb, on Flickr

Dr. Cool
Sep 24, 2009
Street snaps; some old, some new.

decisive moment by a very good day for bananafish, on Flickr

coordination by a very good day for bananafish, on Flickr

whites by a very good day for bananafish, on Flickr

Man with a coat (Dr. Who) by a very good day for bananafish, on Flickr

Pockets by a very good day for bananafish, on Flickr

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Got to London on Sunday. I've been jet lagged to poo poo the past couple days but made some time to get out and shoot. There is serious potential where I'm living for some great street shots.

I posted this in SAD, but I reworked the processing a little this morning so I figure I'll drop it here as well.

Bike_Woman by bgibb187, on Flickr

DracZ
Oct 17, 2003

IMG_9071.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

My favourite recent street shot :)

Confused_Pete
Jul 1, 2003

0_o ?

I enjoy these two from my last afternoon of street in Perth. Shot on my Mamiya C330 using el-cheapo Shanghai GP3 100 film and stand developed in Rodinal for 1 hour.

Confused_Pete fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 26, 2015

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

DracZ posted:

IMG_9071.jpg by ian.teo, on Flickr

My favourite recent street shot :)

This is amazing, was this a camera by the side job or were you obvious about it?

AlienApeBoy
Jul 11, 2005
Ape

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Liked how this one came out

Some guy by damnlamb, on Flickr

That's not just "Some Guy":

DracZ
Oct 17, 2003

AceClown posted:

This is amazing, was this a camera by the side job or were you obvious about it?

Thanks for the comment :) It was definitely obvious - as soon as I saw what was pictured I crouched down to her level and took the shot. I'm just glad it was in focus! Her folks were cool with it when they noticed, no biggie :)

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Doing another big dump of stuff. Comment on my flickr to make me feel better about not shooting lately and not having been to the gym either.

I NEED SOME FUCKIN EGO STROKING MKAY

JCP201100630-5 by jcphotographics, on Flickr

Mad Dash by jcphotographics, on Flickr

You could check the EXIF on these two but I think they were shot with my OM Zuiko 28mm f/2.8 that I got off ebay. Fuckin awesome lens.

King St Milkman by jcphotographics, on Flickr

Heighth of Fashion by jcphotographics, on Flickr

Running Barefoot by jcphotographics, on Flickr

Waiting For a Date by jcphotographics, on Flickr

Meeting on King St by jcphotographics, on Flickr

Concerned Dog Is Concerned by jcphotographics, on Flickr

And these ones are from my home town:

High St People by jcphotographics, on Flickr

Disapproval on Henry St by jcphotographics, on Flickr

Arcades by jcphotographics, on Flickr

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

P7100203.jpg by Trip Sixes, on Flickr

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
I don't dig it. I think that if you're going to shoot people like street performers or the homeless then you've got to present them in an egaging or confronting manner.

And even then I'm not a big fan of shooting the homeless cause it's mostly overdone and samey.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Schofferhofer posted:

I don't dig it. I think that if you're going to shoot people like street performers or the homeless then you've got to present them in an egaging or confronting manner.

And even then I'm not a big fan of shooting the homeless cause it's mostly overdone and samey.

The guy has an awesome sign ("Sugar Mama Needed") and probably has a ton of personality, none of which was shown in that photo. It's 'samey' for sure.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
I like his sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Schofferhofer posted:

I'm not a fan of shooting the homeless either, and I wouldn't have taken this photo at all, were it not for the sign just struck me as amusing. I was in a car and the light was changing, so there wasn't an opportunity to engage the subject on any other level. It was the first and probably the last photo of a homeless person I'll take, unless a really compelling circumstance arises.

Thanks for the feedback, I really do appreciate it- I'm still just trying to overcome my fear of shooting strangers, and it's easy to confuse successfully getting a photo that didn't cause someone to yell at me or give me a dirty look with actually capturing something compelling that works. I'll keep trying and pushing to overcome the samey or overdone stuff, but I'm assuming everyone starts somewhere.

krackmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 11, 2011